COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:28:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 549944 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5350 on: July 27, 2021, 01:46:51 AM »

The gaslighting about early in the pandemic is so intense right now that it's rare for me to run into someone who actually does have an accurate recollection of how things went down.

I'm an election nerd and watched the daily White House press briefings, Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings, and anything Fauci said, so I remember it all very vividly and thoroughly.  I started lifting a lot more during lockdown and would just run the tape of these briefings every day while I did my workouts.

Like do you really think "public health officials" (who?) made any promises about when we'll be back to normal?  At the time they were criticized, often to their faces by Trump on live television, for being very pessimistic about the timeline.  Trump was promising it would miraculously disappear, and that we'd have a vaccine "very very soon", meanwhile Fauci was saying there was basically no end in sight.  Which turned out to be accurate.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5351 on: July 27, 2021, 02:35:10 AM »

Chicago schools are said to be mandating masks for everyone whether vaccinated or not.

How do they expect to enforce this?

If you're not wearing a mask you get sent home?

But they're getting rid of remote "learning."

I'm assuming they'll just force them to wear masks in much the same way they'd be forced to remain in their seats or go to class on time. Sending them home isn't unprecedented because schools are able to send students or staff home if they have head lice or contagious conditions like chickenpox, but in those cases the students clearly are unwell and contagious and not capable of safely learning. In this case, there's a presumption of "guilt" (or rather, infection) regardless of evidence. 

The generation after Gen Z will be lifelong Republicans because of this.
Not gonna happen.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5352 on: July 27, 2021, 02:52:44 AM »

The gaslighting about early in the pandemic is so intense right now that it's rare for me to run into someone who actually does have an accurate recollection of how things went down.

I'm an election nerd and watched the daily White House press briefings, Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings, and anything Fauci said, so I remember it all very vividly and thoroughly.  I started lifting a lot more during lockdown and would just run the tape of these briefings every day while I did my workouts.

Like do you really think "public health officials" (who?) made any promises about when we'll be back to normal?  At the time they were criticized, often to their faces by Trump on live television, for being very pessimistic about the timeline.  Trump was promising it would miraculously disappear, and that we'd have a vaccine "very very soon", meanwhile Fauci was saying there was basically no end in sight.  Which turned out to be accurate.

Things that are popular and things that are the truth don't always line up. People always will like the idea that a crisis ends soon, even when that's clearly not the case.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5353 on: July 27, 2021, 06:32:02 AM »

The most amusing part of this pandemic to me is the embrace of remote work by the left. They will not be embracing it so much when all those jobs that are done in US Homes end up in random countries you have never even heard of. Oh and of course, it exacerbates inequality greatly.

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5354 on: July 27, 2021, 08:57:03 AM »

I am not opposed to public measures but fear the agenda behind the people who advocate them the most.

its just a slippery slope... I am not against public health measures but fear the agenda behind it. The same people who want strong public health measures want to use it as an excuse to increase the surveillance state and overthrow capitalism. There is a hidden agenda.

The leaders in St. Louis City and County who reinstituted mask mandate will next shut down businesses within the next few weeks in an effort to mask to crime statistics and make an illusion of crime. That will only will only make crime rate worse.

The left has a weird obsession with winning Texas and Florida, so they will use lockdowns this winter in a ploy to get people from places like New York and New Jersey to move to move to Florida and Texas in a fruitless attempt to make those two states Democratic.

There will be a major backfire as all the people who move to those two states to escape lockdowns will be conservative leaning.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #5355 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »

I am not opposed to public measures but fear the agenda behind the people who advocate them the most.

its just a slippery slope... I am not against public health measures but fear the agenda behind it. The same people who want strong public health measures want to use it as an excuse to increase the surveillance state and overthrow capitalism. There is a hidden agenda.

The leaders in St. Louis City and County who reinstituted mask mandate will next shut down businesses within the next few weeks in an effort to mask to crime statistics and make an illusion of crime. That will only will only make crime rate worse.

The left has a weird obsession with winning Texas and Florida, so they will use lockdowns this winter in a ploy to get people from places like New York and New Jersey to move to move to Florida and Texas in a fruitless attempt to make those two states Democratic.

There will be a major backfire as all the people who move to those two states to escape lockdowns will be conservative leaning.

I hope you stretched before that massive, completely unsubstantiated reach
compucomp

« Reply #5356 on: July 27, 2021, 09:33:38 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2021, 09:42:54 AM by compucomp »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/cdc-to-reverse-indoor-mask-policy-to-recommend-them-for-fully-vaccinated-people-in-covid-hot-spots.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to recommend Tuesday that fully vaccinated people begin wearing masks indoors again in places with high Covid-19 transmission rates, according to people familiar with the matter.

Finally the CDC corrects its mistake from May, better late than never. Dread it, run from it, mask mandates arrive all the same.

Anti-maskers in this forum are looking like this around now:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5357 on: July 27, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »

Can someone explain or show me videos about this "promise."
I'm not trying to be snarky or negative, but I'm serious that I don't remember hearing "promises."

They promised it all the time.

It's just like how they promised lockdowns would be only 2 weeks.

It's like how they promised school would be 100% normal by New Year's 2021.

It's been a trail of broken promises and lies since day one.
So no videos of this promise from top officials. Got it.
compucomp

« Reply #5358 on: July 27, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2021, 10:01:42 AM by compucomp »

The CNBC article I linked was expanded, with another blurb I think is worth taking note:

Dr. Paul Offit, a pediatrician and vaccine advocate who has served on advisory panels for both the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration, told CNBC earlier this month that the U.S. was still “undervaccinated,” with about half of the population not fully vaccinated.

Even people who are fully protected have cause for concern when it comes to Covid variants, Offit said. While the vaccines protect well against severe disease and death, they may not protect as well against mild disease or spreading Covid to others, he said. No vaccine is 100% effective, he noted.

Emphasis mine. Finally public health officials are starting to drop the untenable and false position, espoused by many here, that the vaccine is a virus repelling force field that allows one to do whatever they want safely, without any mitigation, regardless of the exposure. Finally they are acknowledging reality, that the vaccine is not 100% effective and the effectiveness is fluid and may be lower now than it was before, and are warning of the danger of breakthrough infections. It took way too long but better late than never.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5359 on: July 27, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/cdc-to-reverse-indoor-mask-policy-to-recommend-them-for-fully-vaccinated-people-in-covid-hot-spots.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to recommend Tuesday that fully vaccinated people begin wearing masks indoors again in places with high Covid-19 transmission rates, according to people familiar with the matter.

Finally the CDC corrects its mistake from May, better late than never. Dread it, run from it, mask mandates arrive all the same.

Lol ok guy, I literally don't care. I live in a county where 70% of those eligible (12+) are already fully vaccinated. My fiancee and I had COVID in January and both of us are fully vaccinated now (Moderna for me and Pfizer for her.) We've gone to malls, baseball games, visited friends out of state, etc. since May.

I could not care less about the CDC recommending this for people in high transmission rates. I don't live in Alabama.

(And I'm the furthest thing from an anti-masker considering I'm a teacher who taught in-person this past year.)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5360 on: July 27, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »

In Louisiana, Vaccine Misinformation Has Public Health Workers Feeling ‘Stuck’

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/us/politics/louisiana-covid-vaccine-misinformation.html
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #5361 on: July 27, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »

I'm sure people in rural Arkansas and rural Missouri care a lot about what the CDC has to say about this.

Anyway, removing one of the most popular vaccine incentives for people is a dumb policy. They should really just recommend vaccine mandates since that would, you know, actually work instead of a mask "suggestion" that only vaccinated doomers will follow. But CDC and the rest of society would rather coddle anti-vaxxers than actually try and end this pandemic.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5362 on: July 27, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »

Masks for people in areas of high transmission? Cool. That means it doesn't apply to me.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #5363 on: July 27, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »

Even people who are fully protected have cause for concern when it comes to Covid variants, Offit said. While the vaccines protect well against severe disease and death, they may not protect as well against mild disease or spreading Covid to others, he said. No vaccine is 100% effective, he noted.

Emphasis mine. Finally public health officials are starting to drop the untenable and false position, espoused by many here, that the vaccine is a virus repelling force field that allows one to do whatever they want safely, without any mitigation, regardless of the exposure. Finally they are acknowledging reality, that the vaccine is not 100% effective and the effectiveness is fluid and may be lower now than it was before, and are warning of the danger of breakthrough infections. It took way too long but better late than never.
So what? There have been around 5,500 hospitalizations or deaths of fully vaccinated patients according to CDC. Around 160,000,000 Americans are fully vaccinated. And most of those aforementioned deaths are those over 65. You have a significantly higher chance of dying in a car crash, so if you're driving anywhere you're putting yourself at a greater risk of injury or death than being hospitalized from COVID.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5364 on: July 27, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »

No one is denying vaccines aren’t 100% effective. They’re effective at no longer making the coronavirus a threat to our healthcare system.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5365 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »

This situation is awkward for me as I know that masking in indoor venues that are crowded is a very good idea.

But I worry of the political fall out and the slippery slopes.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5366 on: July 27, 2021, 11:29:23 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/health/cdc-masks-indoors-delta-variant.html

Absolute clownshow.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #5367 on: July 27, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »

I’m vaccinated and I will not be following their guidelines.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5368 on: July 27, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »

I’m vaccinated and I will not be following their guidelines.

I will be buying a Gaetz-esque gas mask if we return to this sh**t.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5369 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »

I am fully vaccinated and still wearing an N-95 mask. Every door shut on a potential infection no matter how unlikely moves us away from Covid faster. Why can't people still not understand this?

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5370 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »

I am fully vaccinated and still wearing an N-95 mask. Every door shut on a potential infection no matter how unlikely moves us away from Covid faster. Why can't people still not understand this?

Why can't I just put the star on my chest?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5371 on: July 27, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »

Comparing a public health protocol to save Americans to the white supremacy of the Nazis and their hatred of Jews, a campaign that had the ultimate goal of killing them, is the height of stupidity.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5372 on: July 27, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »

I hope that a mask mandate does not return to my workplace or to Colorado. I would be sorely disappointed if I had to wear one again, as I've been fully vaccinated for over two months now.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5373 on: July 27, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »

Ohh no I hope glenn youngkin does not win over this.. I hope Phil Murphy does not get held to a single digit over this!!
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #5374 on: July 27, 2021, 11:40:50 AM »

I can understand being angry at mask mandates but the Holocaust comparison is infantile. Please do not use that, it makes you look terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies