COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534728 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4875 on: July 07, 2021, 09:12:07 PM »

It would be a shame if I had to lock a 197 page thread because some of you can't stop posting a bunch of misinformation and lies.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4876 on: July 07, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »

I remember after Biden's election victory that many on the online left thought he would come into office on January 20th and lockdown the entire country. Haha he has literally done the opposite.

Biden would have zero authority to lockdown the entire country and a vast majority of states would refuse to comply.

And we shall not become another Australia. Eventually, Australia will have to open up and have their entire population extremely vulnerable to covid as there is virtually no natural immunity down there.

tbh if Joe Biden took that action, we would probably only have about 100 new COVID cases per day right now as opposed to the usual 5,000-25,000 and probably 50,000 less deaths.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4877 on: July 07, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 11:27:18 AM by Make America Neoliberal Again »

You're a legend, Dr. Arch! Thanks for all you did for this forum.

Sadly, I fear this thread will become all but unreadable without the daily anchor, but it's a good time for a number of reasons.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4878 on: July 07, 2021, 10:34:50 PM »

I remember after Biden's election victory that many on the online left thought he would come into office on January 20th and lockdown the entire country. Haha he has literally done the opposite.

Biden would have zero authority to lockdown the entire country and a vast majority of states would refuse to comply.

And we shall not become another Australia. Eventually, Australia will have to open up and have their entire population extremely vulnerable to covid as there is virtually no natural immunity down there.

tbh if Joe Biden took that action, we would probably only have about 100 new COVID cases per day right now as opposed to the usual 5,000-25,000 and probably 50,000 less deaths.

It would be both a waste because courts would strike it down within a day, as well as weakening Biden's administration and destroying his credibility on related policies by having such an order struck down so early in his presidency.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4879 on: July 07, 2021, 11:20:40 PM »

You're a legend, Dr. Arch! Thanks for all you did for this forum.

Sadly, I fear this threat will become all but unreadable without the daily anchor, but it's a good time for a number of reasons.

Thank you, really.  Smile

We'll still have weekly updates at least.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4880 on: July 08, 2021, 04:02:57 AM »

Also, the amount of “Democrats” on here who are upset that Covid isn’t 100% magically solved and that the vaccines aren’t as effective as originally thought are only upset for political reasons. I guarantee you, had this been a Trump second term, they would be singing a different tune. Truly disgusting, and I honestly am increasingly annoyed with a majority of red avatars.
Personally I'm annoyed when people want to go back to masks and lockdowns because I want to go out and live life and have a good time, not because of the potential impact on Joe Bidan's poll numbers. Everyone (or at least the majority?) of posters on this blog are humans too.

I don't want to go back to lockdown either, but there are intermediate measures we can take. Mitigation is not a bad thing. I still fail to see how masks are some apparent massive violation of rights to some people. They are one of the most effective measures we have against this virus (and viruses and other pathogens in general) after vaccines. Lockdowns, although necessary at times, are harmful to businesses and the economy in general. Masks and social distancing indoors are minor inconveniences. That doesn't mean everywhere. It just means in certain places, like stores. There is no harm in basic personal mitigation measures. At this point, I have to wonder how many people decided to stop basic hand-washing since it's apparently probably too much of a chore for most.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4881 on: July 08, 2021, 07:41:48 AM »

Also, the amount of “Democrats” on here who are upset that Covid isn’t 100% magically solved and that the vaccines aren’t as effective as originally thought are only upset for political reasons. I guarantee you, had this been a Trump second term, they would be singing a different tune. Truly disgusting, and I honestly am increasingly annoyed with a majority of red avatars.
Personally I'm annoyed when people want to go back to masks and lockdowns because I want to go out and live life and have a good time, not because of the potential impact on Joe Bidan's poll numbers. Everyone (or at least the majority?) of posters on this blog are humans too.

I don't want to go back to lockdown either, but there are intermediate measures we can take. Mitigation is not a bad thing. I still fail to see how masks are some apparent massive violation of rights to some people. They are one of the most effective measures we have against this virus (and viruses and other pathogens in general) after vaccines. Lockdowns, although necessary at times, are harmful to businesses and the economy in general. Masks and social distancing indoors are minor inconveniences. That doesn't mean everywhere. It just means in certain places, like stores. There is no harm in basic personal mitigation measures. At this point, I have to wonder how many people decided to stop basic hand-washing since it's apparently probably too much of a chore for most.

At what point would you endorse an end to social distancing measures?

And take "lockdodown" out of your vocabularly. It is not an option and disgusting its even still being debated in July 2021.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4882 on: July 08, 2021, 07:58:35 AM »

Serious mitigation efforts are not needed until our hospital systems become at risk of being overrun. There’s way too much fearmongering in this thread.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4883 on: July 08, 2021, 08:04:07 AM »

And take "lockdodown" out of your vocabularly. It is not an option and disgusting its even still being debated in July 2021.
From what I can gather, similar pandemics in human history have lasted anywhere from 3 years (1918-1921 Influenza Pandemic) to 8 years (Plague of Justinian) before they burn out and become entirely endemic. Assuming that COVID follows a similar path, it is safe to say that rolling lockdowns, masking, and social distancing measures should ideally remain in effect until late 2022 at the earliest and early 2028 at the latest.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4884 on: July 08, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »

The more push there are for lockdowns by the online left the more likely I will use mass transit and open flaunt any covid protection measure.

hahahahahaha it is my joy that kids will be back in school, that people are returning to the office, people are flying, people are going to resorts, people are visiting loved ones in nursing homes.. and there is absolutely the online left can do about it and expect bitch, whine and moan.

and I am typing this as I am riding mass transit just to spite yall!

Perhaps yall should move to Australia and live in your dream society!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4885 on: July 08, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »

Serious mitigation efforts are not needed until our hospital systems become at risk of being overrun. There’s way too much fearmongering in this thread.

The online left's attitudes also are going to prevent any smart and common sense covid mitigation measures in five or six months I would not object to capacity limits on major gatherings over around 250 people and perhaps indoor mask mandates in certain venues this upcoming winter for the sake of mitigation. But they have now made it politically unfeasiable.

I will saw if schools in suburban and some urban counties are closed this winter, that will be a major issue in the 2022 midterms and would be unforgivable.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #4886 on: July 08, 2021, 11:33:48 AM »

this could be of interest
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00069-0/fulltext
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4887 on: July 08, 2021, 11:40:27 AM »

From what I can gather, similar pandemics in human history have lasted anywhere from 3 years (1918-1921 Influenza Pandemic) to 8 years (Plague of Justinian) before they burn out and become entirely endemic. Assuming that COVID follows a similar path, it is safe to say that rolling lockdowns, masking, and social distancing measures should ideally remain in effect until late 2022 at the earliest and early 2028 at the latest.

Nah. I think I'll pass. You stay locked down if you want though. Just don't take away my rights.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4888 on: July 08, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »

Yes, we already know you types want us to wear masks in public forever — it's a "minor inconvenience" that is allegedly "very effective against viruses and other pathogens in general." I, on the other hand — and as I mentioned — want to be able to have normal social interactions with people again. Leaving aside the question of what, exactly, a vaccinated person is "mitigating" by wearing a mask, it seems pretty obvious that people who say masks have zero cost aren't wearing them regularly!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4889 on: July 08, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 06:33:31 PM by TexasGurl »

Yes, we already know you types want us to wear masks in public forever — it's a "minor inconvenience" that is allegedly "very effective against viruses and other pathogens in general." I, on the other hand — and as I mentioned — want to be able to have normal social interactions with people again. Leaving aside the question of what, exactly, a vaccinated person is "mitigating" by wearing a mask, it seems pretty obvious that people who say masks have zero cost aren't wearing them regularly!

I do not care about the "Delta Variant." If you are making the personal choice to no longer be vaccinated, that is your choice, and you have to live with the consequences of your free and voluntary choice. You have no right to impose a burden on other people to make up for the costs of your decision.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4890 on: July 08, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »

If you are fully vaccinated you ought to be able to have all the liberties of a free citizen. Delta variant go brr...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4891 on: July 08, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/vaccine-less-effective-against-new-lambda-covid-variant-concerns-who-673103

These variants are mostly a grift by public health officials who want to keep their newfound power for indefinite lengths. They exist but are highly exaggerated especially for vaccinated people.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #4892 on: July 08, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »

Omega, beta, alpha whatever I’m done with covid. I’m fully vaccinated and I wear a mask everywhere I go. I’m back to my normal life(going to movies, eating out at restaurants with the girl) I’m done with all of this fear mongering.  Just wear a mask, if you don’t have the vaccine, then get it or if you don’t want to, then enjoy Delta.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4893 on: July 08, 2021, 01:58:24 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 05:29:58 PM by Hammy »

Omega, beta, alpha whatever I’m done with covid. I’m fully vaccinated and I wear a mask everywhere I go. I’m back to my normal life(going to movies, eating out at restaurants with the girl) I’m done with all of this fear mongering.  Just wear a mask, if you don’t have the vaccine, then get it or if you don’t want to, then enjoy Delta.

I'm vaccinated (I'll have the second dose in about 12 days) but my mom (who is also vaccinated) is up there in years and has preexisting respiratory issues, so we're both going to continue wearing masks same as we would during flu season.

On a plus side, we don't have to give up restaurants as none in my family have eaten out in the first place for about 4-5 years due to dietary restrictions.

The more push there are for lockdowns by the online left the more likely I will use mass transit and open flaunt any covid protection measure.

Mattrose is a troll if that's who this is aimed at--you're not owning anyone as much as just giving him attention so he posts more.

(edited to merge posts)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4894 on: July 08, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 07:00:36 PM by Blue3 »

Reported for misinformation and vaccine denialism.
What is misinformation?
And I’m happy to be vaccinated, and tell others to get vaccinated. I think this just makes the case for a booster shot, if more studies confirm this.

What is this "usual 94%" claim? How much did J&J or AstraZenica pay you to pretend this drop is specific to one vaccine, or are you just that ignorant?

This is story reported in local news, so I’m passing it along so people know or can clarify anything wrong.

The thread headline is highly misleading.
What is misleading?

Title implies the vaccine is less effective than others, rather than less effective than a study on the same vaccine. It's also somewhat alarmist--the vaccine is still 89% effective against symptomatic cases as per UK study, while Israel's is on total infections.

It reported the news, not these implications, which you’ve brought into it by thinking I had an intention that I don’t.

Edit: and I just saw somebody post after you that that does seem to be the case.

But Pfizer is now asking FDA for a 3rd booster shot, while saying it still has an impact yet research is pending :
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pfizer-seek-ok-3rd-covid-vaccine-dose-shots-still-protect-n1273426

Um, I embrace vaccines and encourage others to take it. My concern is just that we should move towards more 3rd shots, and still encourage masks and some distancing in public (though a lockdown I don’t think is necessary right now). And I think Biden has been doing a great job. I hate Trump. Don’t project stuff onto me.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4895 on: July 08, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »

Spent the day at Cedar Point and there was hardly a mask in sight, no social distancing either. It really was beautiful to see, probably the first day I can remember since March of last year that felt genuinely normal.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4896 on: July 08, 2021, 09:51:41 PM »

From the Fire Chief of Springfield, Missouri:

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4897 on: July 08, 2021, 10:13:40 PM »

I don't want to go back to lockdown either, but there are intermediate measures we can take. Mitigation is not a bad thing. I still fail to see how masks are some apparent massive violation of rights to some people. They are one of the most effective measures we have against this virus (and viruses and other pathogens in general) after vaccines.

The key here is “after vaccines”.  If masks are still less effective (and less convenient) than vaccines, we should not be implementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4898 on: July 09, 2021, 05:12:39 AM »

I don't want to go back to lockdown either, but there are intermediate measures we can take. Mitigation is not a bad thing. I still fail to see how masks are some apparent massive violation of rights to some people. They are one of the most effective measures we have against this virus (and viruses and other pathogens in general) after vaccines.

The key here is “after vaccines”.  If masks are still less effective (and less convenient) than vaccines, we should not be implementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate.

And ironically enough, one of the major reasons why the CDC modified its mask-wearing recommendations-and why states have dropped their mask mandates-is because of the belief that removing them would incentivize more people to get vaccinated, so that they would not have to wear masks again. Reimposing mask mandates would not be the best move at this point, and I'm not sure if we could get the high rates of adherence that we had previously.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4899 on: July 09, 2021, 06:39:12 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2021, 03:21:08 PM by The Daily Beagle »

At this point, it’s not the Government’s job to subsidize or mitigate willful bad behavior. Until and unless, it is determined that the vaccines no longer work, there should be no further quarantines or prophylactic measures. At that point, it doesn’t really make sense to have them. It would be like trying to put up more sand bangs when the water from the canal has long since entered your pool and is starting to get into your living room.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies