COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:36:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535627 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 17, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »

I vote for Democrats because I support left wing policy.

But why why why why why is the left so pro lockdown?

Why are Democratic Governors and local officials willing to let millions have no income and potentially become homeless just to stop some old people from dying?

No stimulus = no lockdown. And to be frank our national debt is already high enough. The best decision of many bad decisions is to just keep the economy open and no new stimulus.

We might be getting to the point where lockdowns are necessary in some states. The latest stats look really bad.

I want to make it clear: I do not care how many people die from Covid-19 at this point.  With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

Of course, this discussion could be outdated in a few months. Vaccinations of even only the most vulnerable populations will be a major factor in allowing the economy to move again.

It'd only be for a few weeks so the hospitals don't get completely overloaded during the Winter. This wouldn't be permanent. Things will get much better in the Spring, but we could be headed for a very, very dark winter if we don't act fast.

And this is coming from someone who has largely advocated for re-opening the country for much of the year. The huge case surge during Winter is very, very concerning

again the pro lockdown nazis always side step my concerns about leaving millions of people without ZERO income even for a short period.

Pro lockdown nazi? I've been advocating for re-opening the country since May. But sometimes the facts change; we have a massive COVID surge during the most deadly time of the year in terms of illness. I just think certain areas in places like South Dakota might have to do a temporary lockdown just so there isn't mass death.

Obviously it should be paired with stimulus checks

We do not have any stimulus checks now! That is my whole point.

And even with stimulus checks it is not like most of those jobs would come back anyway. Who are you trying to fool?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1501 on: November 17, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.

So millions should be completely incomeless for for a month?

You actually think red state citizens would follow lock downs? answer: they wont and the virus will continue to spread despite a national lockdown.

It works in other countries, so why can't we do the same?

I agree red state citizens won't take it seriously enough. That's why politicizing the pandemic was so horrible. Actually this crisis could help restore unity, at least temporarily, like happened after 9/11.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1502 on: November 17, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.

You actually think red state citizens would follow lock downs? answer: they wont and the virus will continue to spread despite a national lockdown.

It works in other countries, so why can't we do the same?

I agree red state citizens won't take it seriously enough. That's why politicizing the pandemic was so horrible. Actually this crisis could help restore unity, at least temporarily, like happened after 9/11.

Again.. someone on the left is side stepping my concerns with people being incomeless..

and whats the point of locking down if most red staters will NOT follow it??? More economic damage for minimal benefit.

and we have almost 28 TRILLION DOLLARS of national debt! No more major stimulus packages please. I am done with this bull.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1503 on: November 17, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »

It works in other countries, so why can't we do the same? .

Other countries have more of a social welfare system than we do. We should have better social welfare but we do not.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1504 on: November 17, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »

And there wont be a national lock down because Biden is not in office until January 20th. And by that time there will be vaccine distribution to the most vulnerable populations. So it would end up being needless.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1505 on: November 17, 2020, 10:31:35 AM »

I agree with the need for it, but the lockdown itself isn't a complete solution. It needs to be accompanied by a major stimulus/bailout for businesses and workers (and should really include comprehensive national healthcare), and it needs to be accompanied by a rollout of coordinated nationwide contact tracing.

The problem is it will take time to pass a stimulus. All the left wants on this site are for people to be locked down and they are all rich here so they obviously do not care if millions are evicted in January. They just want to protect their 110 year old grandmother or something.

Our national debt is at a dangerous level. Therefore, I oppose any new massive stimulus packages. Our best way forward is to keep the economy open and vaccinated vulnerable populations in December/January.

We're not going to be vaccinating significant numbers of people in under three months.

A stimulus could easily be passed... if the GOP were participating in government in good faith.

Whining about the national debt now, on this particular issue, is either massively ignorant or done in bad faith.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1506 on: November 17, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »

I agree with the need for it, but the lockdown itself isn't a complete solution. It needs to be accompanied by a major stimulus/bailout for businesses and workers (and should really include comprehensive national healthcare), and it needs to be accompanied by a rollout of coordinated nationwide contact tracing.

The problem is it will take time to pass a stimulus. All the left wants on this site are for people to be locked down and they are all rich here so they obviously do not care if millions are evicted in January. They just want to protect their 110 year old grandmother or something.

Our national debt is at a dangerous level. Therefore, I oppose any new massive stimulus packages. Our best way forward is to keep the economy open and vaccinated vulnerable populations in December/January.

We're not going to be vaccinating significant numbers of people in under three months.

A stimulus could easily be passed... if the GOP were participating in government in good faith.

Whining about the national debt now, on this particular issue, is either massively ignorant or done in bad faith.

Does no one seem to understand that if a stimulus it not passed a lock down is not worth it? I am not poor but I can certainly see through all this talk that all of you people on these thread are privileged or do not have jobs to lose. I had to participate in position elimination discussions earlier this summer for jobs that were supposedly going to come back.

There is no stimulus right now so therefore locking down is completely irresponsible.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1507 on: November 17, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »

i do not care how many times people scream at me "stimulus should be passed" . If it is not passed I will not support any lockdowns no matter what. Even if we have 1,000,000 cases per day.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1508 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »

Does no one seem to understand that if a stimulus it not passed a lock down is not worth it? I am not poor but I can certainly see through all this talk that all of you people on these thread are privileged or do not have jobs to lose. I had to participate in position elimination discussions earlier this summer for jobs that were supposedly going to come back.

There is no stimulus right now so therefore locking down is completely irresponsible.

What's alternative? Letting it go, with nearly 2k deaths a day and climbing? And we still don't know the long term underlying health conditions that arose from COVID-19.

The federal debt could be fixed if both parties had enough courage to raise taxes on upper incomes to pay their fair share, close tax loopholes and drastically cut the defense budget.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1509 on: November 17, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »

What's alternative? Letting it go, with nearly 2k deaths a day and climbing? And we still don't know the long term underlying health conditions that arose from COVID-19.

The federal debt could be fixed if both parties had enough courage to raise taxes on upper incomes to pay their fair share, close tax loopholes and drastically cut the defense budget.

You are showing your privilege.

You are obviously fine with mass unemployment and millions being evicted and having no income at all.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1510 on: November 17, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »

So essentially we will have a national lockdown with no stimulus checks and having larges amount of the country not following it and many red states refusing to comply so we will end up with the virus still spreading rapidly and even more economic damage and masses of  people unemployed.

What a great solution!!!!!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1511 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »

But I clearly agree tax loopholes should be closed and we should cut the defense budget massively.

Remember I am anti-military.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1512 on: November 17, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »

You are obviously fine with mass unemployment and millions being evicted and having no income at all.

Again, the govt needs to pass a swift aid package. Businsses and factories should remain open has much as possible, under vigrous safety standards.

In the meantime, we need more data where most infections happen to impose specific measures. I'm sure we can get the numbers down if people just refrain from personal contacts during freetime.

Saving lives is still #1 priority of all govt action.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1513 on: November 17, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »

Again, the govt needs to pass a swift aid package. Businsses and factories should remain open has much as possible, under vigrous safety standards.

In the meantime, we need more data where most infections happen to impose specific measures. I'm sure we can get the numbers down if people just refrain from personal contacts during freetime.

But its perfect fine to leave millions incomeless?

it is funny. My position on covid mitigations has not changed at all during this entire course. For much of the summer I was personally more restrictive than Democratic governors. Now I am less restrictive.

Trust me I do hold the GOP responsible for this they allowed the virus to spread in their states.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1514 on: November 17, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »

it is funny. My position on covid mitigations has not changed at all during this entire course. For much of the summer I was personally more restrictive than Democratic governors. Now I am less restrictive.

Trust me I do hold the GOP responsible for this they allowed the virus to spread in their states.

Govt aid wouldn't leave them without income.

Sure, it's a choice between the bad and the worse, but people are dying from thid virus by the thousands. It's 2-3 Nine-Elevens every week.

The economic cost will also be higher in the long term if we just do nothing. Millions of people will have long term health issues, even if they survive COVID-19 without life danger.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1515 on: November 17, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »

Sure, it's a choice between the bad and the worse, but people are dying from thid virus by the thousands. It's 2-3 Nine-Elevens every week.

The economic cost will also be higher in the long term if we just do nothing. Millions of people will have long term health issues, even if they survive COVID-19 without life danger.

There is no stimulus right now... if you were the governor would you honestly just let people go without income for many months?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1516 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »

I see five posts of mine were reported.

I believe no action should be taken on those posts. I just hold a position that differs from most people on this forum.

And it is not a fringe belief to be anti-lock down and express concern of our national debt.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1517 on: November 17, 2020, 11:11:04 AM »

There is no stimulus right now... if you were the governor would you honestly just let people go without income for many months?

If you read the original post, I said 3-4 weeks. If I were governor, I would have acted early on with safety meaures based science and make sure they are enforced. Additionally, I'd pressure Washington to get its act together and look into passing statewide aide where ever possible. A govs #1 job is to protect the lives of his/her citizens. And I mean all citizens, not just those voted for him/her.

Stop making this about either you have an economy or you have to die. The economy can't fully reopen without COVID being under control, and the long term costs will be much higher if we just let it go.

Not to mention the healthcare system would collapse sooner or later. Do you want to send patients coming to hospitals home and tell them "just die"?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1518 on: November 17, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »

I foolishly supported lockdowns early on because I wanted the pandemic curtailed so we could get back to a strong economy. I foolishly believed that the government would make rationale plans for them to open back up.

In no way am I like the rural GOP on this pandemic.

1) I have always strongly wanted strong mask mandates. Including potential jail time for people who refuse to wear masks.

2) I was not supportive of Virginia's entire phase three. I personally thought allowing gatherings of 250 people was far to much.

3) No conventions! Bar tables should not have been allowed. Restaurant seating with distance is different. But closing down bars and restaurants just puts gatherings in private homes where the virus will still spread.

If anything I would have been far more restrictive than most governors, including Democrats, were in the summer. My positions haven't changed but theirs have.

I had the virus. I got through it. We can not live in fear.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1519 on: November 17, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »

Nope. I ultimately want Democrats to do well. A good part of why I am opposed to lockdowns is because they are toxic for the Democratic brand.

It is the same reason why I opposed riots. Trust me I wanted to get violent too over blm but I ultimately want Democrats to do well so I opposed riots.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1520 on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »

I will just watch and let you all see how the economy does in a few weeks.
This won’t fix itself, but if you want to believe that, well go ahead by all means.

Also if it makes you feel better, it appears that those who personally have had a relative die from Covid were more likely to vote for Biden than Trump compared to the general populace. Part of that can be attributed to the geographic diaspora of deaths, but also it would seem that being anti-lockdown has been the cemented GOP position.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1521 on: November 17, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »

This won’t fix itself, but if you want to believe that, well go ahead by all means.

Also if it makes you feel better, it appears that those who personally have had a relative die from Covid were more likely to vote for Biden than Trump compared to the general populace. Part of that can be attributed to the geographic diaspora of deaths, but also it would seem that being anti-lockdown has been the cemented GOP position.

lol its very hard for me to change my mind about anything. I have been holding the same view points for months.

I am tired of arguing with the right about masks.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1522 on: November 17, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

I had the virus. I got through it. We can not live in fear.

So because YOU had it and got through it you think everyone else will?

I'm in the middle on all of this and genuinely see both sides. But this is just an extremely selfish view. You do realize millions of people have not fully recovered and still have nasty, often severe side effects, right? They may never fully recover.

It's not all about you.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1523 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »

lol its very hard for me to change my mind about anything. I have been holding the same view points for months.

I am tired of arguing with the right about masks.
I understand your position, but we are at a breaking point in half of the country. Of course, I personally am fine with this as it just makes people more anti-Trump, but this is definitely a crisis.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1524 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »

If I were in charge there wouldn't have been bars open all night long.. or allowing gatherings of 250 people.. and anti-maskers roaming the streets.

But now I will advocate to protect these peoples incomes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/business/economy/women-jobs-economy-recession.html
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies