COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535611 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: November 16, 2020, 11:11:33 PM »

What happens if there is a massive spike by now and December 1?

What happens to the economy and Bidenomics?

Why isn't there more stimulus checks?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1476 on: November 16, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »

There is no end in sight for this upswing. I shudder to think what's going to happen a week or two after Thanksgiving.
I don't think most people realize how bad this could get. 5,000+ deaths per day or even higher is a real possibility (2,000+ COVID, 3,000+ needed emergency medical attention and could not get it) if hospital systems start collapsing all over the country.

It really is unspeakably stupid to let that happen when we are on track to start getting vaccines administered in significant quantities over the next few months. If we as a country were rational, had a sense of common purpose, had a sense of the common good, and were organized, the government would re-schedule the Thanksgiving holiday so that there could be 2 Thanksgivings next year. This way people would not have to feel permanently deprived of the holiday. In the meantime, all we would have to do is hold off for just a few more months, and then at that point we could actually declare "mission accomplished." Actually, come to think of it the government should schedule a week long "V-C" day (Victory over COVID day) holiday for some approximate time to be finalized later in the summer/fall (or possibly even late spring depending on how things go) which could be set to occur once a sufficiently high share of the population has been vaccinated as a period of national celebration. This is what we would do if we were sensible, anyway.
Fargobison

« Reply #1477 on: November 17, 2020, 12:10:27 AM »

What happens if there is a massive spike by now and December 1?

We are in a massive spike, nothing will continue to happen, Trump doesn't care.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1478 on: November 17, 2020, 01:37:36 AM »

It’s terrible.
Our hospitals are getting close to being completely overloaded.
Even worse, many healthcare workers are getting sick and that means they can’t treat patients.
Please stay healthy in all aspects, (so like try not to break a limb). You may not be able to get hospital treatment at all this winter.
Although the average ICU stay is currently less time than it was in March, much of that is due to better treatment. And when we run out of either treatment or healthcare workers to administer that treatment...well it’s back to square one.
Be prepared, this is actually hitting nuclear levels.

And for those of you who still need more proof to accept the severity of this catastrophe...don’t worry you will get some proof soon, and there will be no turning back the clocks. To anyone who tried to downplay this virus...I hope you read this post on March and think back to what could have been had you and people like you acted like rational human beings. It’s too late now, you reap what you sow.

Those who "still need more proof" are soon going to pivot overnight to "This is horrible! Why didn't Biden fix it/make us act better?"
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1479 on: November 17, 2020, 01:42:10 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1480 on: November 17, 2020, 02:53:02 AM »

I'm trying to convince my family to cancel Thanksgiving but they don't care. I think the combination of stupidity, fatigue, and good news in the distance of a vaccine have all made people complacent.

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1481 on: November 17, 2020, 04:17:37 AM »

This Wednesday is going to be above 2k
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1482 on: November 17, 2020, 04:40:34 AM »

Even Jake Tapper of CNN admits the obvious.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1483 on: November 17, 2020, 04:59:41 AM »

Trump sat on his toilet tweeting and played golf while Pfizer and Moderna did all the hard work. All Trump did was assure companies that whichever one came up with a vaccine first would be able to sell millions of doses to the US government. This is exactly what Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Bloomberg, or even Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, Romney would have done. It's nothing special that Trump deserves credit for.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1484 on: November 17, 2020, 06:04:44 AM »

Trump sat on his toilet tweeting and played golf while Pfizer and Moderna did all the hard work. All Trump did was assure companies that whichever one came up with a vaccine first would be able to sell millions of doses to the US government. This is exactly what Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Bloomberg, or even Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, Romney would have done. It's nothing special that Trump deserves credit for.

Sigh. Yes, but the same applies to the most failing of US (that are similar to basically most Europe countries). They were exactly what would have happened in with Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Bloomberg, or even Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, Romney. It's nothing special that Trump deserves blame for.

The possible diffs against (D) and even som (R):
- the flights from China would be "banned" later
- no Stimulus as generous as Trump's (gee! Imagine D with Mitch's Senate and likely R House).
- more "follow the science" rhetoric and rhetoric only
- muh competent administration
- possibly, a national mask mandate
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1485 on: November 17, 2020, 06:58:40 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 07:07:15 AM by Crumpets »

I cannot fathom any family having so little regard for each other's wellbeing to have a large in-person Thanksgiving this year or taking offense to people not wanting to come in person. Our family is canceling Thanksgiving for the first time I think ever and the only people that will be together in person are my parents. Everyone else will probably just call each other at some point in the day to day hi. It was not a hard decision to make, and nobody complained. Thanksgiving comes every year. You can take one year off, especially now that there seems to be a pretty clear consensus that we will have very effective vaccines starting soon and will be more or less back to normal by late next year.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1486 on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1487 on: November 17, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »

Death Cult Eager To Kill Elderly Americans Before They Can Be Vaccinated:
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1488 on: November 17, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

I vote for Democrats because I support left wing policy.

But why why why why why is the left so pro lockdown?

Why are Democratic Governors and local officials willing to let millions have no income and potentially become homeless just to stop some old people from dying?

No stimulus = no lockdown. And to be frank our national debt is already high enough. The best decision of many bad decisions is to just keep the economy open and no new stimulus.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1489 on: November 17, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »

Why are Democratic Governors and local officials willing to let millions have no income and potentially become homeless just to stop some old people from dying?

No stimulus = no lockdown. And to be frank our national debt is already high enough. The best decision of many bad decisions is to just keep the economy open and no new stimulus.

We might be getting to the point where lockdowns are necessary in some states. The latest stats look really bad.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1490 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »

The Democratic establishment really isn't part of the left by any raw measure.

But I think lately the left has drawn people who don't care about things the left is supposed to care about, and instead just want to pretend to be morally superior. Actually they are bullies and narcissists, not legitimate leftists. But if we don't denounce these narcissists, we're really ceding the moral high ground.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1491 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1492 on: November 17, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 11:39:23 AM by jimmie »

We might be getting to the point where lockdowns are necessary in some states. The latest stats look really bad.

With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

Of course, this discussion could be outdated in a few months. Vaccinations of even only the most vulnerable populations will be a major factor in allowing the economy to move again.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1493 on: November 17, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.

So millions should be completely incomeless for for a month?

You actually think red state citizens would follow lock downs? answer: they wont and the virus will continue to spread despite a national lockdown.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1494 on: November 17, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »

I want to make it clear: I do not care how many people die from Covid-19 at this point.  With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

Of course, this discussion could be outdated in a few months. Vaccinations of even only the most vulnerable populations will be a major factor in allowing the economy to move again.

It'd only be for a few weeks so the hospitals don't get completely overloaded during the Winter. This wouldn't be permanent. Things will get much better in the Spring, but we could be headed for a very, very dark winter if we don't act fast.

And this is coming from someone who has largely advocated for re-opening the country for much of the year. I think Georgia has generally done a fantastic job with handling COVID. But the huge case surge during Winter is very, very concerning
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1495 on: November 17, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 11:54:43 AM by TexasGurl »

I want to make it clear: I do not care how many people die from Covid-19 at this point.  With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

It'd only be for a few weeks so the hospitals don't get completely overloaded during the Winter. This wouldn't be permanent. Things will get much better in the Spring, but we could be headed for a very, very dark winter if we don't act fast.

And this is coming from someone who has largely advocated for re-opening the country for much of the year. The huge case surge during Winter is very, very concerning

again the pro lockdown crowd always side step my concerns about leaving millions of people without ZERO income even for a short period.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1496 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »

I am disgusted that Republican Governors are actually instituting rational mitigation measures compared to Democratic Governors instituting draconian lockdowns. But Republican Governors are largely responsible for the spread of the virus. They should have instituted those mitigation measures in .. I do not know.. March/April?

Abbott took till mid summer to do it. Disgusting.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1497 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:50 AM »

I agree with the need for it, but the lockdown itself isn't a complete solution. It needs to be accompanied by a major stimulus/bailout for businesses and workers (and should really include comprehensive national healthcare), and it needs to be accompanied by a rollout of coordinated nationwide contact tracing.

And that last one need to be fiercely apolitical (like the IRS or the military) and funded to stick around, at least as a cadre ready to rapidly expand, for the next pandemic.  New Zealand tracked points of infections down to a specific garbage can and elevator button and we should be able to do the same.

The awful part is that I don't think we can. It's not outside our technical or financial capabilities, but as a nation we lack something  - willpower, or unity, or basic rationality, or simply the ability to care enough about our fellow citizens.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1498 on: November 17, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »

And this is coming from someone who has largely advocated for re-opening the country for much of the year. The huge case surge during Winter is very, very concerning

again the pro lockdown nazis always side step my concerns about leaving millions of people without ZERO income even for a short period.

Pro lockdown nazi? I've been advocating for re-opening the country since May. But sometimes the facts change; we have a massive COVID surge during the most deadly time of the year in terms of illness. I just think certain areas in places like South Dakota might have to do a temporary lockdown just so there isn't mass death.

Obviously it should be paired with stimulus checks
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:08 AM »

I agree with the need for it, but the lockdown itself isn't a complete solution. It needs to be accompanied by a major stimulus/bailout for businesses and workers (and should really include comprehensive national healthcare), and it needs to be accompanied by a rollout of coordinated nationwide contact tracing.

The problem is it will take time to pass a stimulus. All the left wants on this site are for people to be locked down and they are all rich here so they obviously do not care if millions are evicted in January. They just want to protect their 110 year old grandmother or something.

Our national debt is at a dangerous level. Therefore, I oppose any new massive stimulus packages. Our best way forward is to keep the economy open and vaccinated vulnerable populations in December/January.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies