Who benefits from Trump’s Covid infection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:26:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who benefits from Trump’s Covid infection?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who is going to benefit electorally from this?
Trump

Biden

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Who benefits from Trump’s Covid infection?  (Read 2507 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 12:57:50 AM »

I used to hate this fireman for not doing his job and just standing still in the burning building like an idiot, but now that he’s finally burned to death, I think I actually like him
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 12:58:12 AM »

What if he infected Biden during the debate?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 12:59:45 AM »

I think it depends how Biden messages it. Big test for his campaign. I think they need to flat-out "go there" and blame Trump for his own infection.
I say they should strike a balance. They should say they hope he gets better, but also not hesitate to bring up all the irresponsible decisions made by team Trump and by the administration which led to this.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »

I think it benefits Trump for a few reasons.

First, call it sympathy voting or rally around the flag, most people have empathy (even some republicans) and that could give Trump a bump, just like it did with the similarly idiotic right wing populists Bolsonaro and Johnson. Remember that they also botched the covid response, like Trump.

Second, it will make it harder for democrats to push the case against Trump, which is largely based on how imcompetent and anti-democratic Trump is. Those attacks will seem mean if Trump is hospitalized, essentially handicapping democrats messaging.

Third, Trump is losing this election. He needs a gamechanger. This might not be it, but it COULD be. Worst case for him is that he still loses. Best case is that this turns it around.

Overall, unless he dies, I don't see how this is bad for Trump.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 01:00:36 AM »

Easily Trump. This will energize his base like never before and with some nasty comments from his detractors all but guaranteed, he'll build up some sympathy.

As if his base weren't energized.

Not at 2016 levels they weren't. They will be now, mark my words.
Dude, really?  You actually believe this?

As TSA pointed out above, Johnson's approval shot up almost 30% after his diagnosis. Is this a hail Mary? Perhaps, but if anyone can make a con work it's this monster.
You both give him too much credit for thinking of doing something that cunning, and miss the fact it was rising due to the crisis, not the fact he was positive.  It was rising before it happened.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 01:01:10 AM »

This is like if a politician who fought tooth and nail against mandatory seatbelts in cars ended up in the hospital with serious injuries because he got in a car accident while not wearing a seatbelt.

There will be no sympathy bump.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2020, 01:01:49 AM »

First, call it sympathy voting or rally around the flag, most people have empathy (even some republicans) and that could give Trump a bump, just like it did with the similarly idiotic right wing populists Bolsonaro and Johnson. Remember that they also botched the covid response, like Trump.

Second, it will make it harder for democrats to push the case against Trump, which is largely based on how imcompetent and anti-democratic Trump is. Those attacks will seem mean if Trump is hospitalized, essentially handicapping democrats messaging.

Third, Trump is losing this election. He needs a gamechanger. This might not be it, but it COULD be. Worst case for him is that he still loses. Best case is that this turns it around.

Yes, yes, everything is good for Trump.

Ruining a debate, good for Trump. Catching COVID, good for Trump. Not denouncing White supremacy, good for Trump.

We get it.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 01:02:08 AM »

This is like if a politician who fought tooth and nail against mandatory seatbelts in cars ended up in the hospital with serious injuries because he got in a car accident while not wearing a seatbelt.

There will be no sympathy bump.

Tell that to Johnson and Bolsonaro
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2020, 01:02:19 AM »

Biden.

Trump publicly refused to wear a mask for the first many months of the pandemic.

He still criticizes those who wear one at press conferences and debates.

His supporters are almost virulently anti-mask.

And now the ringleader himself caught a virus that could have been avoided with a mask.

This could have been a relatively simple public-health adjustment, one which every other country has followed.

America, once again, had to be contrarian.

Trump looks like a fool. As he should
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2020, 01:02:54 AM »

Ruining a debate, good for Trump. Catching COVID, good for Trump. Not denouncing White supremacy, good for Trump.

We get it.

I mean you, Alben and Monstro literally think everything is bad for Trump so...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:12 AM »

Trump might receive an approval rating sympathy bump, but he's not going up in the polls because of this. That's ridiculous.

"Wow, I wasn't going to vote for Trump... but not that he got covid himself, I'm convinced." -- literally nobody
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:35 AM »

The “HOW DARE YOU ATTACK THE PRESIDENT WHILE HE IS SICK” pearl clutching will be strong from the right. It’s absurd, but it’s still a PR battle that the Biden team can screw up if they aren’t careful or smart.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:40 AM »

We get it.

I mean you, Alben and Monstro literally think everything is bad for Trump so...

Well, you've predicted upwards of five bumps for him, and he's ended up losing ground every time.

Who has the better track record here?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:56 AM »

Honestly, the only person who benefits is Dr. Fauci.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 01:04:24 AM »

I think it depends how Biden messages it. Big test for his campaign. I think they need to flat-out "go there" and blame Trump for his own infection.
I say they should strike a balance. They should say they hope he gets better, but also not hesitate to bring up all the irresponsible decisions made by team Trump and by the administration which led to this.

The most likely response.

However this can also change if Biden or maybe Harris gets tested positive.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »

Trump probably because no one wants to see the President suffer (even if they dislike him) I could see undecideds vote for Trump

Speak for yourself.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05:15 AM »

Easily Trump. This will energize his base like never before and with some nasty comments from his detractors all but guaranteed, he'll build up some sympathy.

HORUS thinks something will benefit Trump???

I am shocked.

SHOCKED!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05:23 AM »

Honestly I feel like it will be a wash. There will probably be an equal amount of people where this has a negative effect because he will appear as sick and weak that there are who will have sympathy for him, so it’ll probably cancel out. Plus I’m sure a large amount of voters just won’t be swayed either way.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2020, 01:06:23 AM »

You forget that Democrats are held to different standards than Republicans...
Buzz

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 01:06:34 AM »

Looks like it had a major effect on PredictIt.

Ohio flipped to Biden.

Nevada, Minnesota, and New Hampshire are over 80 cents for Biden.

Alaska and South Carolina are now in the likely column at 75 cents for both.

Iowa and Georgia are getting dangerously close to flipping.

By Halloween I expect the PredictIt map to be the 413 map, plus maybe more if Alaska and South Carolina get more competitive.
I really need to start hammering Ohio and Florida right now.  They will be red again by 11/3
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:06 AM »

America.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2020, 01:12:08 AM by Monstro Believes in a Blue Texas & a Blue Georgia »

The President, who disregarded COVID & masks on Tuesday in front of tens of millions of debate watchers, was going to hold in-person rallies tomorrow in the country's biggest COVID hotspot while unknowingly carrying COVID.

So tell me again how Trump benefits from this?
Splash
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:49 AM »

Oh. My. God.

You just know the usual characters in this thread pushing a Trump sympathy vote would be raining doom and gloom about Biden's electoral prospects down on all of us if this had happened to Biden instead.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 01:08:15 AM »

I would venture to say that Trump does not personally benefit from being infected with a disease that may incapacitate or kill him
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 01:08:58 AM »

Biden should wish him the best and focus on outlining his policies to avoid looking like a dick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies