Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:27:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of her?
Freedom fighter

Horrible person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett  (Read 3411 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »

HP because she didn't have to accept the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, she's complicit in McConnell's court-stacking hypocrisy.

it's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I won't fault her for going along with this. Besides, Gorsuch is the one occupying Garland's stolen seat. If McConnell hadn't undertaken his power play four years ago, Barrett would still have been nominated for this open seat.

The hypocrisy I'm referring to is the election year crap. At least Gorsuch was confirmed as a result of the American people making their choice (though I digress the fact that Trump wasn't even the plurality choice of the American people).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »

HP because she didn't have to accept the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, she's complicit in McConnell's court-stacking hypocrisy.

it's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I won't fault her for going along with this. Besides, Gorsuch is the one occupying Garland's stolen seat. If McConnell hadn't undertaken his power play four years ago, Barrett would still have been nominated for this open seat.

Agree. I would take the seat as well if Democrats stole it. If I don't take it, someone else will. That's really something I don't fault her over.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »

I cannot separate this question from the context of the seat. If trump had nominated her rather than Kavanaugh for the Kennedy seat, I wouldn't have minded her as much. But the fact that she's taking RBG's seat and shifting the Court so much I cannot feel good about her appointment.

As a pro-life liberal, I have great doubts that the Supreme Court will do anything to meaningfully reduce the number of abortions in this country. So her position on abortion does not outweigh the amount of damage she is otherwise bound to do with the conservative majority. HP.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »

I have no doubt she is well-qualified for the Supreme Court.  I don't have any issues with her that I don't have with any other conservative justice.  My problem is not so much with her as the context in which this nomination was made.  It's the power-hungry hypocrisy of Mitch McConnell and other Senate Republicans that's getting to me, as well as the rushed confirmation process.  The American people deserve a full vetting of this justice who is going to be on the court for decades to come.  We do not deserve to have her shoved down our throats. 
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 03:58:48 PM »

I have no doubt she is well-qualified for the Supreme Court.  I don't have any issues with her that I don't have with any other conservative justice.  My problem is not so much with her as the context in which this nomination was made.  It's the power-hungry hypocrisy of Mitch McConnell and other Senate Republicans that's getting to me, as well as the rushed confirmation process.  The American people deserve a full vetting of this justice who is going to be on the court for decades to come.  We do not deserve to have her shoved down our throats. 

Agreed completely. I highly doubt she's worse than say, Alito, but the circumstances of her nomination are completely unpalatable for me. If I was in the Senate right now, I certainly wouldn't meet with her.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »

Appears to be a liberal, like all American judges.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »

She is brilliant, accomplished, and a loving mother. I have a huge amount of respect her.  And she may replace Gorsuch as my favorite Justice in terms of her jurisprudence, though I'm sure there are times I will disagree as well.

yeah a lot of Republicans are being hypocrites but that's nothing to do with her.  If Democrats want they can add 2 Justices, it will still be worth it imo to have her on the Court.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 08:26:10 PM by TexasGurl »

Seek help.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »

An unqualified religious Nutjob.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »

She is the best Justice we can get from a Conservative, they weren't gonna put a liberal on the Crt. As I stated in previous thread if shoe was on the other foot, Hillary would have put a liberal on the Crt and Biden spearheaded Thomas on the Crt when he approved him to the floor

Biden supporters need to be careful about criticizing ACB due to what Biden did on Thomas
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 07:49:33 AM »

Okay, I'll bite.

Leaving aside the issue of religion, as that's a very subjective reason, what exactly is it that leads you to think she's not merely unsuitable but unqualified?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

Massive HP. I have no issue calling hypocrites HPs, and the fact that hypocrisy is "common" or "normal" doesn't make it any less terrible.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »

I disapprove of her, because she supported Bush's legal argument in Bush v. Gore. You can't really be an "originalist" while thinking that Bush's argument -- that the method of recounting ballots during the Florida recount was a violation of the Equal Protection Clause.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »

I don’t think she’s a horrible PERSON, but she does seem to have have horrible judicial philosophy. And she’s definitely not a freedom fighter.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »

I have no doubt she is well-qualified for the Supreme Court.  I don't have any issues with her that I don't have with any other conservative justice.  My problem is not so much with her as the context in which this nomination was made.  It's the power-hungry hypocrisy of Mitch McConnell and other Senate Republicans that's getting to me, as well as the rushed confirmation process.  The American people deserve a full vetting of this justice who is going to be on the court for decades to come.  We do not deserve to have her shoved down our throats.  

Never mind what I said about not having issues with her in particular.  I do now.   
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 03:06:19 AM »

HP
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 09:27:35 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2020, 09:32:23 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

She is the same as Roberts, Kavanaugh, Gorsuch , she will depart her party norms from time to time, but stick to Conservative principles

There won't be another Souter, O'connor or Kennedy ever again in our lifetime, Hillary was the one that lost the election, and Bill Clinton lead to the Reagan Revolution and Ginnsburg didn't retire under Obama, she thought Hillary was gonna win and she was gonna sit in a Liberal majority.. Don't blame the judge blame all three Ckintonites that's gave us R majority

FP, just like board members don't want to speak out against Pelosi botching the stimulus package with AOC Heroes act they don't want to blame Ginsburg
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies