Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:59:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of her?
Freedom fighter

Horrible person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Opinion of Amy Coney Barrett  (Read 3351 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:20:47 PM »

Clearly HP.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »

Absolutely awful, but I do have some personal sympathy for her because of Feinstein's disgusting religion-baiting attacks on her during her Seventh Circuit confirmation.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »

Absolutely awful, but I do have some personal sympathy for her because of Feinstein's disgusting religion-baiting attacks on her during her Seventh Circuit confirmation.

This.
Btw not surprisingly my dad is cheering.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »

This.

Why does your dad care about the US's federal judiciary exactly?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »

This.

Because he follows American politics regularly and he is still smart enough to understand that the federal judiciary matters a lot in the US.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »

This.

Because he follows American politics regularly and he is still smart enough to understand that the federal judiciary matters a lot in the US.

Fair enough. I don't know much about how the Court of Cassation works, but if I did, I'd probably care about it too (and about the Japanese Supreme Court if it ever actually ruled on the constitutionality of anything).
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 02:15:28 PM »

I think Feinstein’s line of questioning was perfectly legitimate. I will stand corrected if the truth is otherwise, but as far as I can remember she did not lean into the “taking orders from Rome” trope, and her questioning could have applied equally to a Protestant or Muslim as a Catholic. ACB has expressed a worrying opposition to church-state separation, and keeping her religious views out of her rulings, and she should expect to be questioned on it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »

I think Feinstein’s line of questioning was perfectly legitimate. I will stand corrected if the truth is otherwise, but as far as I can remember she did not lean into the “taking orders from Rome” trope, and her questioning could have applied equally to a Protestant or Muslim as a Catholic. ACB has expressed a worrying opposition to church-state separation, and keeping her religious views out of her rulings, and she should expect to be questioned on it.

I might have felt differently about Feinstein's questions if the substantive issue behind them had been something else. What she was asking Barrett about was an article arguing that Catholic judges should recuse themselves in capital cases due to the Church's opposition to capital punishment, meaning that Feinstein was attacking a conservative jurist for being critical of the death penalty but framing the question in a way that made her look like the woke one. Classic DiFi bullsh**t.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »

I might have felt differently about Feinstein's questions if the substantive issue behind them had been something else. What she was asking Barrett about was an article arguing that Catholic judges should recuse themselves in capital cases due to the Church's opposition to capital punishment, meaning that Feinstein was attacking a conservative jurist for being critical of the death penalty but framing the question in a way that made her look like the woke one. Classic DiFi bullsh**t.

OK, that bit sounds a little bizarre, but I think that it is legitimate to ask a nominee if their religious views could impair their ability to hold follow the secular law of the land in their rulings and hold all equal before it, and if they would try to impose their religious morality on others.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 02:33:15 PM »

This.

Fair enough. I don't know much about how the Court of Cassation works, but if I did, I'd probably care about it too (and about the Japanese Supreme Court if it ever actually ruled on the constitutionality of anything).

The Court of Cassation does not rule on constitutional matters in Italy. That goes to the Constitutional Court (which in any case is not as important as SCOTUS).
Also, Italian legal writing is awful. I once tried to read a sentence of the Constitutional Court. I don't think I was even able to finish it. And for reference, I have read at least Flowers v. Mississippi and Ramos v. Louisiana in full, and of course, my native tongue is Italian.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »

It had nothing to do with the death penalty. That just happened to be what she was writing about. The idea was “If you are going to apply this line of reasoning to the death penalty, what else will you let your religion influence as a judge? Abortion? Contraception?” Etc.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »

Very low.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 05:35:58 PM »

She is gonna be the next justice of SCOTUS and she is against amnesty and she is for adoptions, she adopted 2 Haitian kids. In an era of contraceptives and adoptions, abortions arent necessary
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »

She's wonderful. A great constitutional conservative.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:08 AM »

In my book, any judge who favors corporations & their bosses over regular workers automatically earns an HP designation.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 12:15:25 AM »

HP because she didn't have to accept the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, she's complicit in McConnell's court-stacking hypocrisy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 01:16:12 AM »

HP for her far-right beliefs
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 02:06:33 AM »

She isn't a Dem and I am not an R, but, the point I was making is that she represents Americans changing viewpoint on abortion when she adopted 2 Haitian kids, that abortions arent necessary, and birth rates are going down from 3.5 to 1.5 and birth control, contraceptives and adoptions are more likelier than not in 21st century than abortions
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 05:17:24 AM »

She's kinda hot.

Ain't gonna lie. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:38 AM »

HP because she didn't have to accept the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, she's complicit in McConnell's court-stacking hypocrisy.

it's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I won't fault her for going along with this. Besides, Gorsuch is the one occupying Garland's stolen seat. If McConnell hadn't undertaken his power play four years ago, Barrett would still have been nominated for this open seat.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »

Unworthy of being RBG's successor.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »

She will be to the right what RGB was to the left. But she will contribute to unspeakable damage for real people, so therefore...huge HP.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/go-to-horny-jail
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »

I've been a big fan of hers for quite some time. Exactly who I want on the Supreme Court right now.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies