To court packing supporters on atlas.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:45:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  To court packing supporters on atlas.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Poll
Question: How many new justices do you want if Trump gets his pick through?
2(goes up to 11)

4 and more

Don't support court packing.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 146

Author Topic: To court packing supporters on atlas.  (Read 7179 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »
« edited: September 20, 2020, 11:43:49 AM by R.P. McM »

One short post is better than half a dozen sloppy ones full of personal attacks and incorrect assumptions.

You say one thing, the number of recommendations says quite another.

Lowest common denominator.

I initially attached a meme, but honestly - do better.

Oh, I certainly don't believe the conventional wisdom is always correct. But it is mostly correct. Ironically, this is a thread about whether or not Democrats should enforce the popular will. Аverroës made a pejorative, subjective assessment of my comments, something that can't be objectively adjudicated. So I simply pointed out that most of my purportedly spammed, "sloppy" comments have one or more recommendations, whereas his/her have none. Аverroës could have a point, unfortunately, no one seems to agree with him/her. If everyone in the room thinks you're an *******, it's certainly possible that they're all mistaken. It's far more likely, however, that you are.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »

One short post is better than half a dozen sloppy ones full of personal attacks and incorrect assumptions.

Oh, I certainly don't believe the conventional wisdom is always correct. But it is mostly correct. Ironically, this is a thread about whether or not Democrats should enforce the popular will. Аverroës made a pejorative, subjective assessment of my comments, something that can't be objectively adjudicated. So I simply pointed out that most of my purportedly spammed, "sloppy" comments have one or more recommendations, whereas his/her have none. Аverroës could have a point, unfortunately, no one seems to agree with him/her. If everyone in the room thinks you're an *******, it's certainly possible that they're all mistaken. It's far more likely, however, that you are.

You are embarrassing yourself.
R.P. McM

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »

You are embarrassing yourself.

Ditto:

Was Nixon justified in the Watergate break-ins because Kennedy stole the 1960 election?

Of course, embarrassment generally follows public censure, and in this case, the exact opposite has happened. But in the interest of not hijacking this thread, what do you say we put aside the meta commentary and focus on the substance of the arguments being advanced? Say, your plan for mitigating the encroaching authoritarianism and procedural extremism of the GOP?
R.P. McM

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 01:11:08 PM by R.P. McM »

Believe it or not, it doesn't shock me that court-packing is overwhelming popular on this site.

However, I am surprised by how weak the justifications are. There is no pretense about this being anything other than a partisan power grab,

Exactly: if one party is unwilling to respect longstanding norms/traditions, the other party — the majority party — must shirk unilateral disarmament and respond in kind. It's the same story with gerrymandering. I don't like it, but Democrats would be fools not to counter the GOP's anti-majoritarian efforts.

nor is there any apparent forethought about how Republicans will respond when they retake power. Apparently Joe Biden's election will inaugurate uninterrupted decades of Democratic control over the entire federal government.

We're just cognizant of the fact that Democratic policies are popular, and very difficult to repeal. Which is the real motivation behind all of this concern-trolling. Republicans are rightly concerned that a Court reflecting the popular will would be a very bad thing for them politically.

The experience of discussing national politics with partisan Democrats increasingly reminds me of doing the same with Tea Partiers ten years ago. The country is fortunate that any Democratic Senate majority, even a substantial one, will depend on the votes of moderate Senators who can only win reelection be appealing to a broader electorate.

Your assumption is incorrect, because Democratic senators rely on contributions from Democratic voters/interest groups, who justifiably regard an ill-gotten 6-3 GOP Supreme Court majority as an existential threat to everything they hold dear. So Joe Manchin is free to side with Republicans in this particular instance, but he won't receive a dime from any pro-choice, feminist, or union group moving forward, effectively ending his political career. Likewise for Chris Coons, etc.

As for my personal popularity, I would criticize the idea even if every person here were taunting me in disagreement. If you allow jeers to deter you from speaking the truth, you have ceased to be free person.

Oh, I've rubbed plenty of people the wrong way on this forum. I just happen to be right in this particular instance.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »

I hate the idea of court packing. I really do. It sets a dangerous precedent and I don't want to frame it so that the GOP can come back in 8-12 years and add 5 SCOTUS judges, never mind what they'd do to the circuit courts. That said, I'm not just going to roll over and take the Republican abuse. It has to be framed a proportionate response to the norms violations the Republicans committed so they know if they try this sh!t again, this is how we respond (and vice-versa.) The Republicans stole two seats (Garland and RBG). Adding two seats is a reasonable response to get those two and no more back.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »

The motherf**ker is already burned to the ground. If Republicans confirm Trump's pick before the election or in a lame duck period, they've already packed.

What is so hard about this concept for you? If Republicans pack and the Democrats pack back just to even out the margin to where it would have been without the Republican pack, they're putting out the fire.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2020, 01:52:00 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 02:00:47 PM by Badger »

Hot take of the week: This crisis is the DEMOCRATS fault.

It's sad when someone who was once capable of thinking for himself is reduced to a vector for partisan memes. What does this post even mean? It's not even a thought, it's just a Pavlovian mental pattern that you absorbed off of the internet and are now belching back at anyone unfortunate enough to trigger that urge.

Sorry to tell you, but in context of your (omitted) ridiculous post, my response makes perfect sense.

The calls for court-packing are coming from left-aligned media and keyboard warriors. Few Democratic Senators have expressed any interest. The attempt to cast opposition to the idea as "blaming Democrats" for something that their caucus is unlikely to do and does not even support is ridiculous.

You're not engaging with the merits of the idea, you're just policing the conversation and beating your chest at anyone with the wrong views.

Chuck Schumer has explicitly said that nothing, repeat nothing, is off the table if Trump does this. It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines here.

If you really believe that this is just the keyboard Warriors talking and not Democratic caucus itself, you are disengaged.

Regarding the merits, as I have said Many MANY times, if Republicans seek to blatently throw out "The Scalia rule" made up by Republicans only four years ago, than expanding the court is a reasonable measureto UNDO court-packi g and the wholescale politicization of filling judicial vacancies Republicans have unapologetically and unreservedly engaged in like trench warfare for a decade now.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »

The motherf**ker is already burned to the ground. If Republicans confirm Trump's pick before the election or in a lame duck period, they've already packed.

What is so hard about this concept for you? If Republicans pack and the Democrats pack back just to even out the margin to where it would have been without the Republican pack, they're putting out the fire.

It it painfully obvious that this will not end there. You are not putting out the fire. You are throwing gasoline on it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »

It it painfully obvious that this will not end there. You are not putting out the fire. You are throwing gasoline on it.

Hopefully we can agree on a new system to prevent this from happening again, but if the Court doesn't go back to R+1, that's very unlikely to happen.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »

I hate the idea of court packing. I really do. It sets a dangerous precedent and I don't want to frame it so that the GOP can come back in 8-12 years and add 5 SCOTUS judges, never mind what they'd do to the circuit courts. That said, I'm not just going to roll over and take the Republican abuse. It has to be framed a proportionate response to the norms violations the Republicans committed so they know if they try this sh!t again, this is how we respond (and vice-versa.) The Republicans stole two seats (Garland and RBG). Adding two seats is a reasonable response to get those two and no more back.

Republicans stole one seat (Scalia->Garland) and one Presidency. The aftermath resulting is three stolen seats when you consider Kennedy and Ginsburg with the presidency stolen utilizing the vacant Scalia seat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »

Hopefully we can agree on a new system to prevent this from happening again, but if the Court doesn't go back to R+1, that's very unlikely to happen.
Would you be content if Roberts offered to retire in February to save the court? Just want to see your view.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2020, 02:12:57 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 02:17:01 PM by Anyone on the Left who didnt vote for Hillary can go to Hell »

Would you be content if Roberts offered to retire in February to save the court?

Is that on the table? I mean, I'd probably be open to it being a piece of a grand compromise, but why does it have to be him?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »

The GOP didn't "steal" both seats, you can't claim both were stolen. However if you do believe one of those seats was "stolen" adding 2 seats is still the "fair" response as the court would be +1 L and -1 C if the seat wasn't "stolen". If you somehow actually believe both seats were stolen then you add 4 seats FWIW.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

That won't happen. Republicans are, as you may have noticed, a very stubborn group of people. They will not let you guys get the last word on this one. Not a chance.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »

That won't happen. Republicans are, as you may have noticed, a very stubborn group of people. They will not let you guys get the last word on this one. Not a chance.

You're probably right, but can we repair their Court pack back to R+1 instead of just letting them have R+3.

I'm not advocating to go to D+1 or D+100 or whatever like some are. I still respect norms and will even try to restore the ones that Republicans canceled.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »

This thread has been a microcosm of America, demonstrating why this country is so polarized.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

Would you be content if Roberts offered to retire in February to save the court? Just want to see your view.

Roberts is the one Republican appointee on the court mindful of the lack of legitimacy of a conservative majority and who behaved in response to that some time (not all of the time) this year. So it's not a surprise that Republicans consider him a judas and want another justice to disempower him. It's not a compromise at all to have a 5-4 Republican majority with the non-Roberts 4 + a new nutjob.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »

So why should we let them?

Seriously, why the heck should we just let them win?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »

2 because it makes up for the two stolen seats and at least keeps the ideology balance in tact  with Roberts as the swing

This is pretty much where I am.  Ideally I'd go with four as symbolic of the number of circuit court of appeals, but am amenable to two for the reasons mentioned above.  Not to mention I don't think the optics of adding more seats would look as egregious.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »

This thread has been a microcosm of America, demonstrating why this country is so polarized.

Yes, it is... Republicans not getting what the big deal is about breaking our national institutions for short-term gain, Democrats getting furious, and Republicans not understanding why that is.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »

Yes, it is... Republicans not getting what the big deal is about breaking our national institutions for short-term gain, Democrats getting furious, and Republicans not understanding why that is.

The vast majority of people in this thread who are taking issue with this idea are not Republicans.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »

The vast majority of people in this thread who are taking issue with this idea are not Republicans.

After 25 years of arguing with libertarians who lined up behind the GOP and its talking points while boasting how they were independent thinkers, I am more than content to group small-c conservatives, libertarians, yellow avatars etc. with the Republicans they typically support and who are one of the two parties of government. I am not impressed by anyone's yellow avatar while arguing Mitch McConnell's case here.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »

Relevant article

https://crookedtimber.org/2020/09/19/the-supreme-court-and-normcore/

What this means, pretty straightforwardly, is that norms don’t just rely on the willingness of the relevant actors to adhere to them. They also rely on the willingness of actors to violate them under the right circumstances. If one side violates, then the other side has to be prepared to punish. If one side threatens a violation, then the other side has to threaten in turn, to make it clear that deviating from the norm will be costly. A norm governing relations between two opposing sides, where one side acts strategically (to exploit opportunities) and the other naively (always to support the norm) can’t be sustained.

The Levitsky and Ziblatt logic suggests that democratic breakdown is a process of unraveling, whereby tit for tat dynamics lead to accelerating norm breakdown and the breakdown of ordinary politics. That is indeed a plausible dynamic, and one can tell a story of judicial confirmations in which Republican move and Democratic countermove have led to increasingly brutal power politics.

But as the game theory suggests, tit for tat may play a crucial role in norm maintenance as well as norm breakdown. Without a willingness to punish, we end up in the McConnell equilibrium, where one side concocts ever more extravagantly contrived normative justifications for doing what it wants to do, while the other issues grave statements deploring the breakdown of civilty. That is not precisely a recipe for norm maintenance either, unless by “norm maintenance” you mean a mere preservation of outward forms and decorum – something far feebler than either Levitsky or Ziblatt advocate as I understand them.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »

It cuts both ways. I've also been arguing with conservative Republicans over at RRH Elections who believe that it is Democrats who are destroying America's institutions; that they have been unfair; and that Republicans are trying to right their wrongs, and correct the damage which they have inflicted. As an independent, I've found myself hitting a brick wall when talking with partisan Democrats here and partisan Republicans there. Each side is blaming the other, without acknowledging the role that both political parties have played in this process. Yes, I'm using the "both sideism" argument which is despised by the ideologues here and there, but there's no other way to describe the situation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies