Is it PC to say "Native American" because you hate the term Indian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 03:12:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it PC to say "Native American" because you hate the term Indian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is it PC to say "Native American" because you hate the term Indian?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Is it PC to say "Native American" because you hate the term Indian?  (Read 10481 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »

Just wondering what people think. That's the only reason I say "Native American", because I hate the term Indian. They are not Indians, period. Indians live thousands of miles away, across a huge ocean, and have absolutely no relation to Native Americans.

Yet despite this, I still get bashed by people even when I don't do it for any "politically correct" reasons at all. The fact that the anti-PC people like dazzleman who constantly attacks the term Native American are far more militant about this than the PC folks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:22:20 PM »

I suppose it is PC, but I don't care.  The term sounds better and makes more sense.  I do not see why "Native American" nor "American Indian" are offensive.  "Native American" isn't going out of one's way to be politically correct (it's two letters shorter!), nor is it a new term, so I really do think that complaining about its use is just reverse PC.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »

It's not PC, it's common sense. Saying Indian is only going to get people confused with real Indians.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:58:44 PM »

I suppose it is PC, but I don't care.  The term sounds better and makes more sense.  I do not see why "Native American" nor "American Indian" are offensive.  "Native American" isn't going out of one's way to be politically correct (it's two letters shorter!), nor is it a new term, so I really do think that complaining about its use is just reverse PC.

How about AmeriIndian. That's the newest one I've heard.....

meh I prefer the older names....

Injun
Injin
Savage
Redman
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »

some "Native Americans" actually prefer the term Indian.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:26:49 PM »

What is politically correct is not therefore necessarily bad.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »

Native American is more accurate, and thus I use it, though a lot of tribes call themselves Indians, so I don't see how the term is offensive.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »

I don't like the term "Native American."  I am a native American, as are most of the people I know.  Use of the term "Native American" for American Indians implies that the rest of us don't belong here.  As with most politically correct term, there is a deliterious message behind the term that I reject, and I therefore don't like the term.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 07:30:31 PM »

I don't like the term "Native American."  I am a native American, as are most of the people I know.  Use of the term "Native American" for American Indians implies that the rest of us don't belong here.  As with most politically correct term, there is a deliterious message behind the term that I reject, and I therefore don't like the term.

I agree, but it's still more accurate than saying Indian. If we are going to refer to someone's ancestry, we might as well at least be accurate as to what country or continent it comes from.

I would prefer that everyone who is a US citizen simply be called an American and that we ignore race or ancestry altogeher.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »

I agree, but it's still more accurate than saying Indian. If we are going to refer to someone's ancestry, we might as well at least be accurate as to what country or continent it comes from.

I would prefer that everyone who is a US citizen simply be called an American and that we ignore race or ancestry altogeher.

I like your idea.

I believe that the whole agenda behind PC terms like "Native American" is to delegitimize the underpinnings of our society.  This term suggests subtly that only American Indians really have a right to be here, that the rest of us are somehow less worthy.

So while your idea is a good one, it is the last thing the PCers want, because they seek to divide people from each other, and undermine the legitimacy of our society.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 07:33:51 PM »

No -it eliminates the potential of confusing the inhabitants of the Indian subcontinent with the aboriginal tribes in the Americas.  And from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I just like the term 'Native American' better. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »

Why does it imply that the rest of us don't belong here?  All it implies is that they were here first, before Europeans came, which is... well, true.  Calling them "Indians", on the other hand, implies either that an entire country in Southeast Asia doesn't exist or that the residents of that country have taken parts of North America.

It's not a perfect term, but they're most certainly not Indians.  They were called "Indians" because the Europeans who initially found the Americas thought they had found India.  If you can find a short term for "guys who we think probably came here across the Bering Strait some ten thousand years ago and then settled down for millenia before Europeans came and found them", then by all means, suggest it.  Calling them "Indians" is simply wrong, however.  No offense, but I have to wonder at those who reject political correctness because, as they declare, they would prefer plain correctness, and yet prefer the term "Indian" to "Native American".
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 07:41:32 PM »

The term "Indian" is unsatisfactory because it is potentially confusing. But "native American" is also somewhat ambiguous; a native American might merely be someone born in America. The ambiguity is removed if "native" is capitalized, but this cannot be indicated in speech. The most accurate and unambiguous terms that I can think of are "indigenous Americans" and "aboriginal Americans." Another possibility is "members of native tribes," but that is quite long-winded.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »

I like your idea.

I believe that the whole agenda behind PC terms like "Native American" is to delegitimize the underpinnings of our society.  This term suggests subtly that only American Indians really have a right to be here, that the rest of us are somehow less worthy.

So while your idea is a good one, it is the last thing the PCers want, because they seek to divide people from each other, and undermine the legitimacy of our society.

I don't personally read that into it, but then I usually try to interpret things fairly literally unless there's solid evidence to suggest otherwise. So your mileage may vary.

I also disagree about their motivations, as I view them as simply misguided rather than evil. Of course, it could be argued that the motivation is irrelevant to the issue at hand since the result is the same.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 07:45:28 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2006, 07:47:45 PM by Nym90 »

Why does it imply that the rest of us don't belong here?  All it implies is that they were here first, before Europeans came, which is... well, true.  Calling them "Indians", on the other hand, implies either that an entire country in Southeast Asia doesn't exist or that the residents of that country have taken parts of North America.

It's not a perfect term, but they're most certainly not Indians.  They were called "Indians" because the Europeans who initially found the Americas thought they had found India.  If you can find a short term for "guys who we think probably came here across the Bering Strait some ten thousand years ago and then settled down for millenia before Europeans came and found them", then by all means, suggest it.  Calling them "Indians" is simply wrong, however.  No offense, but I have to wonder at those who reject political correctness because, as they declare, they would prefer plain correctness, and yet prefer the term "Indian" to "Native American".

True, although calling attention to one's ancestry could be argued as implying that it is relevant; otherwise why mention it as opposed to many other things that attention could be called to instead?

But I agree that might be overanalyzing it a bit. Sometimes one must simply apply Occam's Razor and assume that things are what they are.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »

True, although calling attention to one's ancestry could be argued as implying that it is relevant; otherwise why mention it as opposed to many other things that attention could be called to instead?

These people had no nations, names for the continent on which they resided, or any other sort of widespread form of identification.  I don't see what else you could use to refer to them other than the fact that they were the first to live in the Americas.  They had different names for their tribes, but there are thousands of those, making their use immensely impractical when you wish to refer to the people as a whole.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:17 PM »

The English language allows a word to have more than one meaning.  The word "Indian" is one such word.  I think 400 years of use to describe the race that predated the Europeans on this continent is sufficient precedent to continue using it.  It has never been, to my knowledge, a derogatory term.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2006, 09:49:23 PM by Max Power »

I use it. It's not PC.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »

Can I just refer all other posters (except States Wife) as "you people."  Wink

Personally, I prefer "Amerindian," which is a contraction form of portmanteau.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »

I prefer to call Native Americans, "extinct."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »

I prefer to call Native Americans, "extinct."

Ah, I'm still here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 10:24:14 PM »

Then what term should I use that does not refer to a billion people who live thousands of miles away on a completely unreleated subcontinent?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

It seems that in the process of condemning what you term as the political correctness of the Left, you are unwittingly creating your own brand.  You now look down upon the use of such words like 'Native American' just as liberals censure the use of words like 'Negro', 'n', 'redskin', 'dyke', 'broad', and others.  Soon I imagine you will extend this same censorious spirit you now restrict mainly to certain words to works of art, music, and literature.  I am surprised that you do not recognize this irony.   
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 11:17:56 PM »

Like I pointed out in a thread a few months back, there is just as much right wing political correctness as there is left wing.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

Kinda. However, it's a good idea to call them 'American Indians' or 'Amerindians', or even 'American Aboriginals' because that way they won't be confused with people from India.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies