12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class  (Read 1618 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »

What about staple guns? Hot glue guns?

Staple guns don't even look like guns, so no.

And only a completely irrational person would mistake a hot glue gun for a firearm.

They look nothing alike.

but you're saying NERF guns with those ridiculous color schemes can easily be mistaken for actual guns? And should be banned on that basis?

They look more like a gun than those examples, yes.

A black hot glue gun looks more like a gun than any nerf gun does.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 01:01:06 AM »

what about pop tarts eaten/broken into the shape of a gun?  what about hands bent in the shape of one?

If it can be mistaken for a gun, like a Nerf Gun, it should be outlawed. No reasonable person would mistake Poptarts in the shape of a gun as a gun.

As for finger/hand guns, those should be outlawed...but I'd understand if those bans were never enforced.
So what if someone is jokingly making finger guns at another person as a funny way of saying goodbye or something? Do they get a year in prison?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »

what about pop tarts eaten/broken into the shape of a gun?  what about hands bent in the shape of one?

If it can be mistaken for a gun, like a Nerf Gun, it should be outlawed. No reasonable person would mistake Poptarts in the shape of a gun as a gun.

As for finger/hand guns, those should be outlawed...but I'd understand if those bans were never enforced.
So what if someone is jokingly making finger guns at another person as a funny way of saying goodbye or something? Do they get a year in prison?

Probation and a fine.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 01:20:27 AM »

what about pop tarts eaten/broken into the shape of a gun?  what about hands bent in the shape of one?

Probation and a fine.
ok...what the actual f**k kinda drugs are you on

edit: I saw that forumlurker made the same post earlier. All I have to say is that if you're being called crazily authoritarian by forumlurker you're doing something wrong.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 01:39:30 AM »

Probation and a fine.

What should the penalty be for sticking gum under your seat on the subway? Public beheading?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2020, 01:43:29 AM »

Probation and a fine.

What should the penalty be for sticking gum under your seat on the subway? Public beheading?

NewYorkExpress is bringing back Puritanism in all its 17th-century glory. I think he really is the most American of all of us. He is bringing us back to our historic roots
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2020, 01:46:03 AM »

The fact that NYE's post got more attention than mine only proves my point.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2020, 01:46:18 AM »

Probation and a fine.

That's not a crime, so no punishment (except maybe social suicide).

Besides, I only support the death penalty in cases of murder and treason.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 02:01:59 AM »

Probation and a fine.

That's not a crime, so no punishment

Neither is making finger guns...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 07:10:45 AM »

your post was "this story isn't important, the fact that you think it's important makes you a worse person than me, do better.  Won't someone please think of the children!".  Who would respond to that?

For the 140th time, just because someone posts a thread you don't find important (because it's not), that doesn't mean the person posting it thinks other stories are somehow less important.  And we're in Off Topic!

The fact that these types of complaints always comes from a certain type of red avatar and only about stories they have a problem with politically is not surprising at all.  You won't get that echo chamber you want until you ban a lot of people, better get on that.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 07:12:55 AM »

I'm going to be turning myself in for having a Nerf Gun and playing finger guns multiple times in my life. I hope that I don't get a stoning and that Jersey Cop treats me "well".
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 07:28:39 AM »

This story pretty much sums up everything I hate about the government in this country.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »

Probation and a fine.

Just stop, your trolling isn’t funny anymore, learn to be nice to people and maybe they’ll actually be nice to you, that’s a valuable life lesson (of course you won’t learn it, because I’ve learned not to expect anything from you)

Ok, let's change the topic. I can see you're upset.

Burn any good books lately?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »

Probation and a fine.

Just stop, your trolling isn’t funny anymore, learn to be nice to people and maybe they’ll actually be nice to you, that’s a valuable life lesson (of course you won’t learn it, because I’ve learned not to expect anything from you)
Well, you have authoritarian views that would be rejected by the majority of America.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »

Even as someone who used to run late night student organization "nerf wars" at university buildings back in my day, I think "brandishing" a nerf gun during class is a distraction worthy of some form of discipline. Like, one detention or the 2020 equivalent of detention (extra work?). Suspension for a whole week is insane, and calling the cops is absolute madness.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »

Even as someone who used to run late night student organization "nerf wars" at university buildings back in my day, I think "brandishing" a nerf gun during class is a distraction worthy of some form of discipline. Like, one detention or the 2020 equivalent of detention (extra work?). Suspension for a whole week is insane, and calling the cops is absolute madness.
I agree with you.  If he was making a purposeful distraction with it, sure, the teacher should have given him some form of punishment if he didn't stop when asked to.  But that's not what happened at all.  He didn't "brandish" it, he moved it.  It was on screen for less than 2 seconds.  The teacher "assumed" (whatever that means) it wasn't a real gun, but for some reason decided to tell someone with more authority than them, who called the cops.  On a black child.  In September 2020.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »

I used to have one of these when I was young (this exact model, the 2000):

Clearly I should still be serving a prison sentence for such a transgression.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2020, 07:57:49 PM by Forumlurker161 »

First off, would they suspend a white child with a Nerf gun visible during a zoom class.

Second, I am a fan of treating Nerf weapons like real weapons under the law. The kid should have been suspended. The problem here is more, would they have suspended a white child for the exact same Nerf gun?
So you need a license for a nerf gun? That fires pieces of foam? And he should get suspended for having one IN HIS HOUSE? This was virtual school, how could he have hurt anyone?

My opinion is all guns should be outlawed whether they are real or toys.

Nerf guns shouldn't exist.

This is the best comment in this thread, anyways it's nice to see the usual libertarian suspects virtue signaling here to prove that guns are somehow good or something.

Forumlurker and Ninja are libertarians? And do you know what virtue signalling means?
L-CO

On a barely related note, I once almost got suspended for drawing a map of Florida because it looked too much like a gun. My list of reasons to hate Florida grew that day.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2020, 10:11:11 PM »

What about staple guns? Hot glue guns?

Staple guns don't even look like guns, so no.

And only a completely irrational person would mistake a hot glue gun for a firearm.

They look nothing alike.

but you're saying NERF guns with those ridiculous color schemes can easily be mistaken for actual guns? And should be banned on that basis?

They look more like a gun than those examples, yes.

Like... a hot glue gun looks more like a small pistol then a nerf gun does.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 06:58:36 AM »

On a barely related note, I once almost got suspended for drawing a map of Florida because it looked too much like a gun. My list of reasons to hate Florida grew that day.
Florida didn't almost suspend you for a stupid reason, why add another layer of hate on them?  Teachers/principals/authority figures is who should have received another layer of hate that day.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2020, 02:26:30 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2020, 02:34:39 AM by Sev »

your post was "this story isn't important, the fact that you think it's important makes you a worse person than me, do better.  Won't someone please think of the children!".  Who would respond to that?

Yes, it's much better to respond to a post that no significant amount of people would agree with and is obviously an asinine take.

For the 140th time, just because someone posts a thread you don't find important (because it's not), that doesn't mean the person posting it thinks other stories are somehow less important.  And we're in Off Topic!

The fact that these types of complaints always comes from a certain type of red avatar and only about stories they have a problem with politically is not surprising at all.  You won't get that echo chamber you want until you ban a lot of people, better get on that.

Okay. I don't know what you meant by certain type of red avatar. If you'd rather discuss irrelevant matters in your quest to own the libs, that's your choice. I realize that the sort of thinking I decry is essentially the majority of Americans and most of us don't want to actively confront the serious problems we face. It is what it is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 07:14:04 AM »

Okay. I don't know what you meant by certain type of red avatar.
the "I know I'm right and I'll force my rightness down you're throat if I could, but until I can I'm going to bitch and complain about everything I don't like" type.
If you'd rather discuss irrelevant matters in your quest to own the libs, that's your choice.
I know it is and I don't need your permission to do it.
I realize that the sort of thinking I decry is essentially the majority of Americans and most of us don't want to actively confront the serious problems we face. It is what it is.
so, you only post and read about the most serious problems we fare here?  Why are you wasting your time in here instead of changing the world in a thread about the most serious problems?  You knew what this thread (in Off Topic) was about when you opened it (repeatedly).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies