12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 12 yo suspended from school a week because he had a Nerf gun visable during Zoom class  (Read 1615 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »

link-local
A 12-year-old boy has been suspended for having a toy gun he never brought to school.

Isaiah Elliott attends Grand Mountain, a K-8 grade school in the Widefield District #3, just south of Colorado Springs.

On Thursday, Aug. 27, the seventh grader was attending on online art class when a teacher saw Isaiah flash a toy gun across his computer screen. The toy in question is a neon green and black handgun with an orange tip with the words “Zombie Hunter” printed on the side.

The teacher notified the school principal who suspended Isaiah for five days and called the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office to conduct a welfare check on the boy without calling his parents first.

“It was really frightening and upsetting for me as a parent, especially as the parent of an African-American young man, especially given what’s going on in our country right now,” said Isaiah’s father, Curtis Elliott, in an exclusive interview with FOX31.

Curtis’ wife Dani Elliott was equally furious with the school’s decision to notify her, only after deputies were on their way to the family’s home.

“For them to go as extreme as suspending him for five days, sending the police out, having the police threaten to press charges against him because they want to compare the virtual environment to the actual in-school environment is insane,” said Dani Elliott.

The Problem Solvers obtained the sheriff’s report and it confirms the teacher “said she assumed it was a toy gun but was not certain.”
Karen Teacher-that black child has a gun in his home, I must call the cops!

Karen Schooldistrict-oh, it's just a toy gun, A WEEK SUSPENSION FOR YOU SON!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »

First off, would they suspend a white child with a Nerf gun visible during a zoom class.

Second, I am a fan of treating Nerf weapons like real weapons under the law. The kid should have been suspended. The problem here is more, would they have suspended a white child for the exact same Nerf gun?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »

First off, would they suspend a white child with a Nerf gun visible during a zoom class.

Second, I am a fan of treating Nerf weapons like real weapons under the law. The kid should have been suspended. The problem here is more, would they have suspended a white child for the exact same Nerf gun?
So you need a license for a nerf gun? That fires pieces of foam? And he should get suspended for having one IN HIS HOUSE? This was virtual school, how could he have hurt anyone?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »

Hold up. What the literal f**k are you on?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »

So you need a license for a nerf gun? That fires pieces of foam? And he should get suspended for having one IN HIS HOUSE? This was virtual school, how could he have hurt anyone?

My opinion is all guns should be outlawed whether they are real or toys.

Nerf guns shouldn't exist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »

what about pop tarts eaten/broken into the shape of a gun?  what about hands bent in the shape of one?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »

what about pop tarts eaten/broken into the shape of a gun?  what about hands bent in the shape of one?

If it can be mistaken for a gun, like a Nerf Gun, it should be outlawed. No reasonable person would mistake Poptarts in the shape of a gun as a gun.

As for finger/hand guns, those should be outlawed...but I'd understand if those bans were never enforced.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »

“For them to go as extreme as suspending him for five days, sending the police out, having the police threaten to press charges against him because they want to compare the virtual environment to the actual in-school environment is insane,” said Dani Elliott.

Letting your child play with toys and distract other students when he should be engaged in a learning environment is insane, Ms. Elliott.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »

Letting your child play with toys and distract other students when he should be engaged in a learning environment is insane, Ms. Elliott.
The gun could have fell from the wall or the rack so stop coming to conclusions.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »

That's such a over the top reason to suspend somebody
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »

Thanks Obama.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »

This is the best comment in this thread, anyways it's nice to see the usual libertarian suspects virtue signaling here to prove that guns are somehow good or something.

Forumlurker and Ninja are libertarians? And do you know what virtue signalling means?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »

If it can be mistaken for a gun, like a Nerf Gun, it should be outlawed. No reasonable person would mistake Poptarts in the shape of a gun as a gun.

As for finger/hand guns, those should be outlawed...but I'd understand if those bans were never enforced.
sadly, several kids have been suspended for finger guns

and there was that time a Maryland judge upheld a pop tart gun suspension on a 7 yo with ADHD
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

This is the best comment in this thread, anyways it's nice to see the usual libertarian suspects virtue signaling here to prove that guns are somehow good or something.
Every boy in my neighborhood had a nerf gun at one point, so Nerf guns are mainstream
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »

sadly, several kids have been suspended for finger guns

and there was that time a Maryland judge upheld a pop tart gun suspension on a 7 yo with ADHD
Jersey Cop supported arresting kids over lemonade stands because “they don’t have a license”
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2020, 02:14:25 PM by #Secular Hobbesian Meritocratic Libertarians for Biden »

You two should team up to make a citizen's arrest on a kid for playing with army figurines sometime.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2020, 09:12:04 AM by lfromnj »

I do agree online school should be kept to close as possible as real school. Aka don't play with your toys during school time. I don't know what the appropriate punishment would have been if he continued to refuse to listen as detentions are pretty hard rn. However calling the cops is 100% insane.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 09:56:45 PM »

The only thing I was allowed to play with when I was a kid was an abacus.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »

This wasn't treated as a kid not paying attention in class, it was treated like a real threat of violence.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 11:10:51 PM »

What about staple guns? Hot glue guns?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 11:19:44 PM »

Staple guns don't even look like guns, so no.

And only a completely irrational person would mistake a hot glue gun for a firearm.

They look nothing alike.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »

And only a completely irrational person would mistake a hot glue gun for a firearm.

They look nothing alike.

but you're saying NERF guns with those ridiculous color schemes can easily be mistaken for actual guns? And should be banned on that basis?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »

I do agree online school should be kept to close as possible as real school. Aka don't play with your toys during school time. However calling the cops is 100% insane.

I suppose the point I tried to make went over your head, or more likely, I should elaborate more so the reader doesn't have to reach their own conclusions. This bullsh**t article only made the news because gun laws are a manufactured political issue that are pumped to distract otherwise thoughtful people from more serious problems.

I had briefly mentioned this in a discussion with some users last night.  My partner is a teacher and some of her students can't even be there for class because they have to babysit three other kids with no parents home. One student had to leave to give a toddler a bath even. The level of education we are supplying during this pandemic is downright atrocious and the fallout from this will be significantly damaging for years to come. This sort of news doesn't get your click, it doesn't get your post, but it's much more important and something our country should really be focused on and prepared to find the appropriate way to deal with it. Articles like this getting publicized and shared is almost offensive. This isn't specifically directed at lfromnj, but if you have more time to worry about kids with nerf guns than the quality of their education, I really recommend taking a look in the mirror and thinking about whether or not this is who you want to be.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 12:08:18 AM »

They look nothing alike.

but you're saying NERF guns with those ridiculous color schemes can easily be mistaken for actual guns? And should be banned on that basis?

They look more like a gun than those examples, yes.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 12:19:43 AM »

To quote an Atlas institution:

They look nothing alike.

They look more like a gun than those examples, yes.

Case in point.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies