Do you believe this truck driver should be been charged and convicted of a crime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:11:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe this truck driver should be been charged and convicted of a crime?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes(attempted murder)

Yes(battery)

No

Yes(attempted murder with domestic terrorism charges)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Do you believe this truck driver should be been charged and convicted of a crime?  (Read 274 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2020, 10:05:08 AM »
« edited: September 05, 2020, 10:08:31 AM by lfromnj »

He did definetely go at the lowest speed possible to get where he wanted, Its also arguable that the protesters were falsely imprisoning the man and he used the acceptable minimal amount of force as trying to push the protesters of would be a bad idea.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »

Yes, he should be charged with battery.

You don't have the right to try and run somebody over because they're blocking you from getting goddamn gas.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »

bruh if they r blocking access to the gas station how do they expect ppl to get to their protest idk
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »

No. He clearly wasn't moving the truck at a speed that would cause harm and protesters have no inherent right to blockade other individuals from going anywhere. If anyone there was committing a crime, it was the protesters.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »

It's common sense to not accelerate a vehicle if there are people in front of you, just go to a different gas station. Anyway, I'd charge him with battery at the least.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2020, 05:04:50 PM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

It's common sense to not accelerate a vehicle if there are people in front of you, just go to a different gas station. Anyway, I'd charge him with battery at the least.

The question isn't whether the the driver was being sensible. Judging by the video, he clearly wasn't trying to harm the protesters nor did he harm them. If being nonsensible is a crime then all of those idiot protesters are criminals. The gas station in question merely had the bad luck to be where Pellerin was shot. No one involved with the gas station was in any way responsible for the events that happened there several nights ago. Trying to force the station to close is clearly nonsensical, though one can argue its owner or manager was being insensitive to what had happened there by being open, were any of those protesters going to do anything to compensate the station for its loss of business if it had closed?I

If it's going to be turned into a memorial for Pellerin then someone needs to buy the station and make it one, not force an innocent concern to suffer because of your sense of outrage.
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 05:02:57 PM »

No. The protesters should be charged for attempting property damage.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 05:06:28 PM »

No. The protesters should be charged for attempting property damage.

Nah. They weren't doing anything damaging in that video, just stupid. Stupidity is not a crime, nor should it be.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »

The question isn't whether the the driver was being sensible. Judging by the video, he clearly wasn't trying to harm the protesters nor did he harm them. If being nonsensible is a crime then all of those idiot protesters are criminals. The gas station in question merely had the bad luck to be where Pellerin was shot. No one involved with the gas station was in any way responsible for the events that happened there several nights ago. Trying to force the station to close is clearly nonsensical, though one can argue its owner or manager was being insensitive to what had happened there by being open, were any of those protesters going to do anything to compensate the station for its loss of business if it had closed?I

If it's going to be turned into a memorial for Pellerin then someone needs to buy the station and make it one, not force an innocent concern to suffer because of your sense of outrage.

It looks like the group followed the directions of the police and moved to a different area shortly after the incident with the truck, so I cannot imagine the gas station owners lost much business. Blocking the site of the shooting is not the protest technique I would've signed off on, but the truck driver slowly accelerating into the group would be the guilty party should someone have been injured. Again, they could've just gone to a different gas station.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 05:23:31 PM »

It looks like the group followed the directions of the police and moved to a different area shortly after the incident with the truck, so I cannot imagine the gas station owners lost much business. Blocking the site of the shooting is not the protest technique I would've signed off on, but the truck driver slowly accelerating into the group would be the guilty party should someone have been injured. Again, they could've just gone to a different gas station.

Yeah, they were all being stupid, but as I already said earlier, stupidity is not a crime, nor should it be. Moreover, under the circumstances, I doubt you'd get a criminal jury to convict the driver if a protester had been unintentionally injured, tho you almost certainly would and absolutely certainly should get a civil jury to find the driver liable for such hypothetical damages.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »

Yeah, they were all being stupid, but as I already said earlier, stupidity is not a crime, nor should it be. Moreover, under the circumstances, I doubt you'd get a criminal jury to convict the driver if a protester had been unintentionally injured, tho you almost certainly would and absolutely certainly should get a civil jury to find the driver liable for such hypothetical damages.
This is a deep southern city so yeah no way the prosecutor could get anyone to convict over idiots.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »

This is a deep southern city so yeah no way the prosecutor could get anyone to convict over idiots.

Lord, save me patronizing Yankees who act like the South is the only part of America that suffers from racism.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 05:36:19 PM »

Lord, save me patronizing Yankees who act like the South is the only part of America that suffers from racism.
Nah I'm just seeing consevrative southern cities as areas that don't take that type of BS. If this was Brooklyn or the only gas station in NYC there would be calls for attempted murder charges
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »

no
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies