2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:06:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 120
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 167954 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: October 08, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »

Has anyone calculated the margin biden must have (before election day) to win?

I think it's almost impossible to say what margin the Democrats need in early voting because this year is so different from previous years. We just don't know what the partisan breakdown will be on election day, how many voters will turn out then, etc. Any assumptions would be little more than guesswork and could result in wildly diverging standards.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m
#earlyvote cast as a percentage of *total* 2016 vote is truly amazing

SD: 22.8%
VA 20.7%
WI: 20.6%
WY: 14.9%
VT: 14% (report from yesterday)
MI: 13.1% (report from yesterday)
ND: 12.1%
NJ: 12.3%
FL: 12.3%
MN: 11.3% (report from last Fri.)

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-202

LOL regarding the ridiculous Virginia turnout, that's just pure hatred of Trump fueling it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m

VA 20.7%

LOL regarding the ridiculous Virginia turnout, that's just pure hatred of Trump fueling it.

Wisconsin too.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m

VA 20.7%

Wisconsin too.

Yeah but at least you could say that's a battleground state and it's important to vote.  Nobody is actually fearful Trump will win Virginia, people are just turning out in outrageous numbers early to give Trump the middle finger.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2020, 12:03:55 PM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m

VA 20.7%

Wisconsin too.

Yeah but at least you could say that's a battleground state and it's important to vote.  Nobody is actually fearful Trump will win Virginia, people are just turning out in outrageous numbers early to give Trump the middle finger.

Yeah. Virginia is full of Trump haters.
indietraveler

« Reply #830 on: October 08, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m

VA 20.7%

I wonder how high this could be by election day overall. In another week or so these numbers are going to start to explode. While it's hard to make year over year comparisons it seems like the above is a decent measurement if certain key counties get 80-100% of their 2016 total before election day. Given how close the rust belt was in 2016 and knowing that Trump has a high floor, but a low ceiling we could reasonably have a decent idea on election day eve.

My nerves are gone about people not turning out due to covid. And while mail voting is still a question mark considering deadlines I'm starting to feel a little better about that too seeing some of the return rates so far.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #831 on: October 08, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »

Michael McDonald
@ElectProject
·
4m

VA 20.7%

Wisconsin too.

Yeah but at least you could say that's a battleground state and it's important to vote.  Nobody is actually fearful Trump will win Virginia, people are just turning out in outrageous numbers early to give Trump the middle finger.

Reminds me of having to wait over an hour in line in the rain to vote in my precinct in Brooklyn in 2018. Literally no competitive races at all, but people were fired up to turn out anyway.

Fortunately, we have early voting now and a lot more absentee voting, so I don't expect any lines when I go to vote (which will be early in person rather than on election day).
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »

While I am happy with the turnout so far, I feel like the trend is slowing down a bit.  Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but I was expecting 1 million ballots a day by now approaching 2 million a day by Monday.  Turnout is still high but I expected it to explode a bit more given how many states are now open for voting.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #833 on: October 08, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »

While I am happy with the turnout so far, I feel like the trend is slowing down a bit.  Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but I was expecting 1 million ballots a day by now approaching 2 million a day by Monday.  Turnout is still high but I expected it to explode a bit more given how many states are now open for voting.
Some people may vote in person. There is also the issue of how much can mail can be delivered and processed
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #834 on: October 08, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »

Some people may vote in person. There is also the issue of how much can mail can be delivered and processed

True but it's plateauing a bit in states where early voting is already prevalent, like Virginia.  I guess it might pick up again as we get closer to the election though.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #836 on: October 08, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »

So is this good or bad and what does this mean?
kph14
Germany

« Reply #837 on: October 08, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »

This means that ballots have to arrive on Election Night as prescribed by state law. In district court a judge had extended that by 6 days but that ruling did not stand on appeal
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #838 on: October 08, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »

This means that ballots have to arrive on Election Night as prescribed by state law. In district court a judge had extended that by 6 days but that ruling did not stand on appeal

Yeah, not good, but it's what we expected.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #839 on: October 08, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »

could this backfire because the Democrats have been turning them in quickly whereas the GOP has a lot of outstanding ballots?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #840 on: October 08, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »

could this backfire because the Democrats have been turning them in quickly whereas the GOP has a lot of outstanding ballots?

It wouldn't be the first or even second time recently that WI Republicans have kneecapped themselves in an attempt to suppress the Democrat's chances of winning.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #841 on: October 08, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »

If they do, it's proof that karma exists
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #842 on: October 08, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »

If they do, it's proof that karma exists

I think Karma was proven to exist the day Trump got covid...
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #843 on: October 08, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »

It wouldn't be the first or even second time recently that WI Republicans have kneecapped themselves in an attempt to suppress the Democrat's chances of winning.

do we still think Democrats have an advantage in WI given the turnout in Dane and Milwaukee so far?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #844 on: October 08, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »

do we still think Democrats have an advantage in WI given the turnout in Dane and Milwaukee so far?
Yup Dems are returning their ballots in a higher rate with stronger turnout from Dane and other blue counties
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #845 on: October 08, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »

Yup Dems are returning their ballots in a higher rate with stronger turnout from Dane and other blue counties

Great.  If Biden can put away this state I think that would be a big big deal.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #846 on: October 08, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »

I am going to guess that If the democrats have at least a 20% lead in early-in person/mail votes in Florida once it totals over 5 million, they'll likely be able to win the state. It would be unimaginable to think that republicans can catch up with the other half of the vote on election day. There's over 5.5 million votes out too so it is possible we will get there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17YKazYaUMZ33vmd4YHDKcVdlTkP5DmnHQQlAttwOzL0/edit#gid=1837208868

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/FL.html
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »

I am going to guess that If the democrats have at least a 20% lead in early-in person/mail votes in Florida once it totals over 5 million, they'll likely be able to win the state. It would be unimaginable to think that republicans can catch up with the other half of the vote on election day. There's over 5.5 million votes out too so it is possible we will get there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17YKazYaUMZ33vmd4YHDKcVdlTkP5DmnHQQlAttwOzL0/edit#gid=1837208868

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/FL.html

So in other words you think Dems need a 1 million vote lead before Election Day to guarantee victory?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

The state party and others have been amazing this cycle at getting information out to the public. If this holds at the Supreme Court, which I imagine it will, there will be a big push in the last 1-2 weeks for folks to not mail in their ballots, but drop them off.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #849 on: October 08, 2020, 03:00:39 PM »

The state party and others have been amazing this cycle at getting information out to the public. If this holds at the Supreme Court, which I imagine it will, there will be a big push in the last 1-2 weeks for folks to not mail in their ballots, but drop them off.

I feel like Republicans are playing the voter suppression game under the assumption that the GOP is still the party of 20 years ago when UMC college educated people voted for them.  I don't know that these tactics are going to work now that they're the party of Trump.  Lets be honest, a lot of his supporters are screw ups who enjoy his rallies but aren't exactly on top of election laws and timelines.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies