PA Monmouth - Biden +4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  PA Monmouth - Biden +4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: PA Monmouth - Biden +4  (Read 4529 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »

PA was three points more Republican than the "nation as a whole" in 2016. It makes sense that a slight R trend (likely) would result in it being 4 points more R this time, so +4 in PA is absolutely in line with a +8 Biden lead nationally. If this is a bad poll for Biden, I don’t want to know what a bad poll for Trump looks like.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »

Only 400 people polled?  In a state like Pennsylvania?

Small sample sizes causes quirky results. Anyone still remembers the NYT live polls? With those there was still a lot movement between a sample of 400 and 500
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »

The two LV turnout models have the race even closer at Biden+3 and Biden+1  

LV turnout is always bad for Democrats in the beginning and it almost always narrows by election day.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »

PA was three points more Republican than the "nation as a whole" in 2016. It makes sense that a slight R trend (likely) would result in it being 4 points more R this time, so +4 in PA is absolutely in line with a +8 Biden lead nationally. If this is a bad poll for Biden, I don’t want to know what a bad poll for Trump looks like.

Yes, but do you think Biden can win the election without PA?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »

Honestly, Biden +13 was never realistic. This is not an unrealistic result, and it still suggests Biden is favored. If his poll numbers continue to drop, then he'll be in trouble, but I don't think the doom and gloom is yet warranted.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »

I can't take this poll seriously when it has Republicans winning the House swing counties by 10%.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 10:24:37 AM »

Usual Monmouth caveat of a very small sample and high margin of error.

I urge this board not to overreact - Biden 49/45 and Biden 53/40 are essentially the same result when your margin of error is 5%.

Excellent methodology (which Monmouth has) doesn't defy this.

They really aren't the same result at all.  Just because the confidence intervals of those two margins overlap doesn't mean the intervals are the same.

If Biden is ahead 53/40 in a random sample, it means there is almost zero probability that Trump is actually ahead among the population.  If Biden is only ahead 49/45 in the sample, there is a decent probability Trump is ahead among the population. And this seems like an enormous difference to me.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »

Contextualize this poll in that it's right after the RNC, and this is not bad. Let's see what happens after that fluctuation dies off after Labor Day.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »

Yes, but do you think Biden can win the election without PA?

It’s not likely, but by no means impossible if he gets AZ and NE-02 (likely) and then some combination of MI/WI/FL/GA (or just TX, of course). MI and WI would be very iffy, but the Sun Belt route has always been an underrated path for Biden/Harris.

(That said, I don’t think the national race will tighten further, so this is probably as close to Trump's best-case scenario as you can get in PA, unless the state trends even more R than I’m expecting it to, which is certainly not out of the question.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »

I don't really get why everyone is freaking out so much. Aside from conventions creating some movement, it's not uncommon for the race to start breaking one way in October, when most people start tuning in. Polls right after the conventions, which have long produced some benefits for each candidate, should not drive people insane.

Look at Obama's numbers in August/September 2008:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/pa/pennsylvania_mccain_vs_obama-244.html

Note that the recession didn't just start in the fall either, it was ongoing well before that.

It's been a very stable race for many months, and the fundamentals are definitely not on Trump's side. Maybe if Biden is still teetering on the edge in mid-October, it would be time to panic, but now? I mean... no.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »

I would say he probably does.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »

Comparing their July/September polls:

Indies
July: Biden +21
September: Tied

Males
July: Trump +2
September: Trump +19

Females
July: Biden +26
September: Biden +24

18-49
July: Biden +31
September: Biden +9

50-64:
July: Trump +13
September: Trump +9

65+:
July: Biden +10
September: Biden +11

Swing Counties
July: Biden +19
September: Trump +2

Whites
July: Biden +2
September: Trump +7

Nonwhites
July: Biden +60
September: Biden +57

So it’s funny how Females stayed totally consistent month to month, and Biden actually even gained among 50-64 year olds and 65+ year olds (with the RNC/Kenosha you would expect otherwise), while he simultaneously collapsed with Men, Indies, and 18-49 year olds.

Considering a few demographics stayed the same while some shifted A LOT, seems like a lot of noise to me, especially the Indies and 18-49 #s. That change is too huge when the demographic you'd expect to be swayed here wasn't at all (old people)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »

Not the best poll for Biden. However, he's still leading by an OK margin in a state Trump won in 2016 and in a poll taken right after the RNC. I'll take it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »

'In 12 congressional districts where the winning margin for either party was greater than 15 points in 2018, the Democrats lead by 8 points (51% to 43%). In the six most competitive districts, though, the Republicans lead by 10 points (50% to 40%). In July, the Democrats held small leads in both the safe seats (49% to 46%) and the competitive ones (48% to 43%).'

Wouldn't that include Trump blowout counties too? I don't understand this part.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

What's odd to me is that the GCB somehow stayed the same? And the fact that Biden's favorability went up, even when this wasn't a very Dem sample.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »

Indies

Males

Females

18-49

50-64:

65+:

Swing Counties

Whites

Nonwhites

So it’s funny how Females stayed totally consistent month to month, and Biden actually even gained among 50-64 year olds and 65+ year olds (with the RNC/Kenosha you would expect otherwise), while he simultaneously collapsed with Men, Indies, and 18-49 year olds.

Considering a few demographics stayed the same while some shifted A LOT, seems like a lot of noise to me, especially the Indies and 18-49 #s. That change is too huge when the demographic you'd expect to be swayed here wasn't at all (old people)

This is not that surprising to me.  The Trump/GOP message is more aimed at families in their peak earning years (~age 35-55) this time than at retirees.  Biden clearly sees a Trump weakness with retirees he is trying to exploit, while he seems to be pricing in a weaker performance (turnout and margins) with 18-29 year-olds than Obama got.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »

Usual Monmouth caveat of a very small sample and high margin of error.

I urge this board not to overreact - Biden 49/45 and Biden 53/40 are essentially the same result when your margin of error is 5%.

Excellent methodology (which Monmouth has) doesn't defy this.

They really aren't the same result at all.  Just because the confidence intervals of those two margins overlap doesn't mean the intervals are the same.

If Biden is ahead 53/40 in a random sample, it means there is almost zero probability that Trump is actually ahead among the population.  If Biden is only ahead 49/45 in the sample, there is a decent probability Trump is ahead among the population. And this seems like an enormous difference to me.

This is true, but what you are talking about is much more critical in more fluid races, usually primaries with multiple candidates where there are far more variables likely impacting vote choice, as we saw during the Iowa caucuses and early primaries this year. Polls are much better at measuring levels of support rather than margins (some pollsters argue that polls can't even be predictive of margins, though this is a debated premise) and MOE is much more important to the former than the latter, especially in 1-on-1 races.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2020, 10:46:57 AM »

Indies

Males

Females

18-49

50-64:

65+:

Swing Counties

Whites

Nonwhites

This is not that surprising to me.  The Trump/GOP message is more aimed at families in their peak earning years (~age 35-55) this time than at retirees.  Biden clearly sees a Trump weakness with retirees he is trying to exploit, while he seems to be pricing in a weaker performance (turnout and margins) with 18-29 year-olds than Obama got.

Clinton won that age demo by 10% and Casey 2018 won it by 21%. So I'd be... very shocked that Biden would be doing worse than both of them, especially Clinton. IDK if Biden +31 was correct either, but I'd imagine it'd be closer to somewhere in the middle.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »

He absolutely does. Without PA, he needs to win WI, MI, and Arizona *to tie* which is unlikely. Losing PA almost guarantees losing at least WI, so then he would need to win FL to make up for that. It's much easier to win PA, WI, and MI than it is to put all your eggs in the Florida basket--we all know how that will turn out.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »

I really think FL will be unusually important this year, more so than in 2008/2012 and (ironically) even 2016. I know that the conventional wisdom is that it’s a must-win for Trump (I don’t necessarily disagree), but I also think all bets are off if Trump takes it. Given how fast-counting a state it is, we’ll get a pretty good idea of the election relatively early in the night with the FL results + the margins in rural IN/KY (in addition to places like Hamilton IN, of course).
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »

Biden +1
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »

Hmmm... is EV by CD just a statute that could potentially be repealed by the one party governments in NE and ME, or is it in the state constitutions?  SCOTUS historically has a rule against altering election procedures too close to an election.  Would they strike down an attempt by either state to repeal it in October?  Could it even be repealed in late November/December and apply retroactively to this election?  Asking for John Roberts.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies