NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:16:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127245 times)
warandwar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »

Dianne seems to be digging in on the ideological battlefield that public safety should be divorced from police. Regardless of your view on the ideology, this is a high politically disadvantageous position.
I would contest that point a bit generally, but i do see where you're coming from.
HOWEVER, it has been very politically advantageous for Dianne to be the only one in the race to have that position. Got her to 10%  matching funds, and a gang of delusional supporters (not a dig, sometimes delusions are necessary to win campaigns).

The debate didn't make me want to vote for any of them. As a city worker, it never felt like they were speaking to me. Felt like they were speaking to the journalists who'll summarize the debate later.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #951 on: May 14, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »

Carlos Menchaca endorses Dia-...Andrew Yang, (?!?), chaos ensues on his social media.

Morales supporters are NOT happy.

I think the left-wing politicians in NYC are seeing the writing on the wall and are just looking to stop Adams at this point. The perspective, which probably isn't entirely wrong, is that Yang is largely a blank slate with no ideological commitments whose actual policies in office will be determined by his advisors and the City Council's priorities, which leaves openings for left-wing policy achievements.

The activists of course lack this kind of practical perspective.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #952 on: May 14, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

Dianne seems to be digging in on the ideological battlefield that public safety should be divorced from police. Regardless of your view on the ideology, this is a high politically disadvantageous position.
I would contest that point a bit generally, but i do see where you're coming from.
HOWEVER, it has been very politically advantageous for Dianne to be the only one in the race to have that position. Got her to 10%  matching funds, and a gang of delusional supporters (not a dig, sometimes delusions are necessary to win campaigns).

The debate didn't make me want to vote for any of them. As a city worker, it never felt like they were speaking to me. Felt like they were speaking to the journalists who'll summarize the debate later.

You're right, especially given she came from political obscurity. Creating a loyal base of supporters was the right move to give her any chance at spreading her message. Not that it'll give her any chance to win.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #953 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:05 AM »

Latest Change Research poll has Garcia?!?!?! surging into third, and a 50/50 tie between Yang and Adams in the last round. Morales at 5% and eliminated in third round.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #954 on: May 14, 2021, 12:02:09 PM »

Carlos Menchaca endorses Dia-...Andrew Yang, (?!?), chaos ensues on his social media.

Morales supporters are NOT happy.

I think the left-wing politicians in NYC are seeing the writing on the wall and are just looking to stop Adams at this point. The perspective, which probably isn't entirely wrong, is that Yang is largely a blank slate with no ideological commitments whose actual policies in office will be determined by his advisors and the City Council's priorities, which leaves openings for left-wing policy achievements.

The activists of course lack this kind of practical perspective.
Lmao what are you talking about. They're not trying to stop Adams, they're trying to get jobs (and i imagine Ron Kim is trying to stave off a primary challenge). And believe me, there are plenty of activists who have gone to work w Yang so they can get a job.

Here's a practical perspective - you can't push blank slates from the grassroots. You can push people with identifiable constituencies. Eric Adams can and has been pushed because organizers know who he's indebted to and how they can be moved (this is called power mapping).
warandwar
United States

« Reply #955 on: May 14, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »

Latest Change Research poll has Garcia?!?!?! surging into third, and a 50/50 tie between Yang and Adams in the last round. Morales at 5% and eliminated in third round.
Not surprising. A lot of people are speaking highly of her behind the scenes.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #956 on: May 14, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »

Well I know city workers are big fans of her, but that doesn't always manifest in the electorate. I'd say it is incredibly surprising, giving this represents her support over tripling within a week. But if this poll is true must all do our part and rank her somewhere.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #957 on: May 14, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »

Would there be/is there a way to have a mock NYC election on the forum?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #958 on: May 14, 2021, 12:45:08 PM »

Well I know city workers are big fans of her, but that doesn't always manifest in the electorate. I'd say it is incredibly surprising, giving this represents her support over tripling within a week. But if this poll is true must all do our part and rank her somewhere.
Similar to Dianne, actually, she's talking about things no one else is talking about right now. Good way to cut through the bullsh**t.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #959 on: May 14, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »

Something I’ve thought about
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #960 on: May 14, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »

We've had a couple threads on the subject, both here and in Individual Politics; fairly difficult to simulate RCV without people posting their order in the thread.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #961 on: May 14, 2021, 01:05:40 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2021, 10:05:29 PM by The Community of Xi Guay Ong »

I liked Wiley, she took on Adams the most and was effective, but I still think she's an out of touch pundit. Stringer would be so great if he wasn't so compromised. As for Garcia, the good is just accompanied by a lot of bad. Morales remains completely unqualified and unprepared and terminally online.
Wiley gives me Elizabeth Warren vibes for some reason. Is it just me?

Yeah I got major Warren vibes from her self-introduction. It’s mostly what her voice sounds like.

I thought she and Yang made really good points about excessive regulations for small business  owners/restaurant owners/vendors.

Yang also made a solid point (right before the 1 hour mark) on how effective governance requires coordination with non-government actors and more broadly civil society in general. There's a bunch of important issues that require more than just government action. Climate change is a good example of this- the political will to implement the infrastructure reforms and consumer/behavioral incentives we need to mitigate and adapt just... doesn’t exist right now, ESPECIALLY not at the federal level.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #962 on: May 14, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2021, 01:49:58 PM by Canis »

I just made one on a website where you can vote on it I'll post a thread for it on individual politics
https://rankit.vote/vote/pyLNUU7y3Wq0slejhtaK
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #963 on: May 14, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »

Used the wrong link initially but it should be working now Lmk if you guys are still having trouble accessing it
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #964 on: May 14, 2021, 02:06:28 PM »

Guess subscribers read their New York Times and now know who Garcia is.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #965 on: May 16, 2021, 12:26:19 PM »

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries is endorsing Wiley.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/nyregion/maya-wiley-hakeem-jeffries-endorsement.html
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #966 on: May 16, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »

Jeffries and Eric Adams don't get along...both are ambitious central Brooklyn politicians with the same base of voters: Black voters from a range of poor to middle class professionals that live in the Fort Greene area...
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #967 on: May 16, 2021, 06:33:03 PM »

Jeffries and Eric Adams don't get along...both are ambitious central Brooklyn politicians with the same base of voters: Black voters from a range of poor to middle class professionals that live in the Fort Greene area...

Fort Greene?

There are no more poor blacks in Fort Greene, outside of the small percentage that lives in NYCHA housing.

It's sad that the home neighborhood of Biggie Smalls and Ol' Dirty Bastard has been largely emptied out and replaced by trust fund babies and other soft hands. Totally killed the character.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #968 on: May 17, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #969 on: May 17, 2021, 04:48:38 PM »

#Garciamentum

Donovan surpassing Wiley is interesting, but probably meaningless.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #970 on: May 17, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #971 on: May 17, 2021, 05:02:27 PM »

Wiley being out of the top 5 seems like a huge failure.

Especially given the horrific press that Donovan has gotten/deserved over the price of a Brooklyn house gaffe
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #972 on: May 17, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Who is Wiley's base?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #973 on: May 17, 2021, 05:29:31 PM »

The poll has Adams beating Yang 53-47% in the final round.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #974 on: May 17, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2021, 06:19:22 PM by "?" »

The poll has Adams beating Yang 53-47% in the final round.

The only question that matters in these polls.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/nyc-mayoral-poll-adams-new-leader-in-nyc-mayor-race-as-field-remains-open
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies