NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127790 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »

Freedom Preference/Choice/Pick/Rank/whichever one of these words would make the most sense here!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #676 on: April 22, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »

Apparently Yang said some weird sh**t at a gay Democratic club where he sounded like a high school girl who’s really into her GBF. Who care but it’s in the New York Times.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #677 on: April 22, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »

Apparently Yang said some weird sh**t at a gay Democratic club where he sounded like a high school girl who’s really into her GBF. Who care but it’s in the New York Times.

This is actually a very bad thing to happen to him, because he probably had the gay vote before this (he's a celebrity) and this will def lose that. Not a huge chunk of the electorate, and we aren't talking about most LGBTQS who lean far left and probably wouldn't vote for him anyway, but he's done for in chelsea and hells kitchen 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #678 on: April 22, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »

This is actually a very bad thing to happen to him, because he probably had the gay vote before this (he's a celebrity) and this will def lose that. Not a huge chunk of the electorate, and we aren't talking about most LGBTQS who lean far left and probably wouldn't vote for him anyway, but he's done for in chelsea and hells kitchen 

What are you talking about. The gays weren’t going to vote for him anyway and there aren’t many of them, but he also had their vote and this is devastating?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #679 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:46 PM »

I really hope Yang wins. We desperately need him.

You must be new to this thread. Nonetheless, you certainly got guts.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #680 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:04 PM »

Do you say anything interesting
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #681 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »

Do you say anything interesting

No.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #682 on: April 22, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »

because he probably had the gay vote before this (he's a celebrity) and this will def lose that.

Come again?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #683 on: April 23, 2021, 12:03:34 AM »

I’m really curious how effective these “second choice” endorsements actually end up being, if supporters generally stick by them or just do their own thing. I also am curious if it’s pretty obvious who X candidates supporters go to or if it’s just a scramble
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #684 on: April 23, 2021, 12:32:26 AM »

The Yang just got five points higher!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #685 on: April 23, 2021, 12:34:33 AM »

Anyone else suspect that Yang being a lightning rod for media attention will be a big obstacle for anyone opposing him?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #686 on: April 23, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »

Anyone else suspect that Yang being a lightning rod for media attention will be a big obstacle for anyone opposing him?

Yes, see Trump 2016
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:37 AM »

Yes, see Trump 2016
Funnily enough that was in my mind while typing that post out.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2021, 01:33:21 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 03:24:22 AM by brucejoel99 »

I’m really curious how effective these “second choice” endorsements actually end up being, if supporters generally stick by them or just do their own thing. I also am curious if it’s pretty obvious who X candidates supporters go to or if it’s just a scramble

FWIW, the next-largest city that uses RCV for its mayoral elections - SF - saw Mark Leno & Jane Kim enter into such a deal in the city's 2018 special, a deal which ended up being remarkably effective for Mark Leno in the final round math-wise. The only problem for Leno was just that more people who supported neither him nor Kim turned out for other candidates, & enough of them evidently ranked London Breed ahead of Leno for the final round, but apart from that, the RCV cross-endorsement - in terms of seeing the vast majority of Kim's voters rank Leno as their 2nd choice - worked incredibly for Leno.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2021, 06:50:59 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 07:02:37 AM by StateBoiler »

https://reason.com/2021/04/22/new-yorks-failed-political-class-puzzles-over-why-voters-seem-to-prefer-outsider-andrew-yang/

When government doesn't deliver, voters look for unpolished candidates from outside government. Go figure.

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough, too, decried Yang's lack of relevant experience.

"We've got, like, the most important mayor's race in New York City probably in the last 50 years, maybe 100 years, I don't know….[And] I mean, you and I could do a better job running New York City than Andrew Yang," the Morning Joe host told a nodding Donny Deutsch Monday. "You want that mayor to be competent, you want them to know what they're actually doing….It's one thing running for president and putting some quirky ideas out there and getting some media attention, but man, when you're running New York City, again, I'm talking competence."

I can think of other c-words when clanging along the city's busted streets, waiting for trains that never come because we're still wiping down surfaces to prevent COVID, or trying to sort through the latest turf squabble between the Democratic mayor and the Democratic governor over a pandemic that hit the five boroughs harder than anywhere else in the United States. Crime is up, population is down, school buildings are still half-closed, subways are increasingly gross (wipedowns notwithstanding), tourism is gutted, Midtown is deserted, and public-facing businesses remain subject to arbitrary restrictions. And you're talking competence?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #690 on: April 23, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »

Looks like it's time for some consolidation.

No surprise to see Morales not existing in this demographic. In fact I'm starting to think she doesn't exist at all.

No... that can’t be right... I see her posters all over the place in the neighborhoods where all the gentrifiers who pretend to hate gentrification live. 🤔
I don't disagree (and find her supporters a bit delusional) but you have to admit finding loyal volunteers from those neighborhoods has dramatically changed NYC politics! Morales has a (very annoying) movement and brand, which kept her alive for matching funds. Now she can put some tv ads up. Not gonna win, but certainly a decent job so far.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #691 on: April 23, 2021, 08:01:22 AM »

Me: Andrew Yang is not terrible

Everyone Else on this forum: So you have chosen death
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #692 on: April 23, 2021, 08:21:43 AM »

Me: Andrew Yang is not terrible

Everyone Else on this forum: So you have chosen death

Thank you for taking the heat off me!

While I think I would have preferred Shaun Donovan or Kathryn Garcia due to their governing experience, he's still definitely one of the candidates I'm most comfortable with.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #693 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »

^ Neither of you live in NYC. I actually have to work for the city that Yang would govern and I'm not looking forward to it!

Anyways...it seems Stringer has decided that since he cannot come up with a reason for people to vote *for* him, he is hoping that Dianne Morales comes up with one.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #694 on: April 23, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »

FWIW, the next-largest city that uses RCV for its mayoral elections - SF - saw Mark Leno & Jane Kim enter into such a deal in the city's 2018 special, a deal which ended up being remarkably effective for Mark Leno in the final round math-wise. The only problem for Leno was just that more people who supported neither him nor Kim turned out for other candidates, & enough of them evidently ranked London Breed ahead of Leno for the final round, but apart from that, the RCV cross-endorsement - in terms of seeing the vast majority of Kim's voters rank Leno as their 2nd choice - worked incredibly for Leno.

I mean it's not a good comparison because Leno and Kim's deal was more of mutualistic campaign than an endorsement. The two appeared and spoke at events togeather. Their task was additionally facilitated because they were both campaigning for the same electorate; the cities progressive vote mostly found in the north-of-twin-peaks semicircle from the Haight-Ashbury to Bernal Heights. We'll never know the counter-factual where they don't campaign together, but it's likely their targeted electorate was always going to put the two progressives at the top of their ballot. The most meaningful result may have been to ease and facilitate the dissemination of this information. Progressives would therefore have already had all the information about their vote, not need to do more research, and more voters would actually put a second place candidate and not leave their tickets blank after their first preferred candidate.

Something similar might be happening here when it comes to the progressives. So many progressive organizations doing some combination of "Stringer, Morales, A rotating third" will inform their voters that these are the progressive candidates. These voters were always going to put the progressive candidates near the top of their ballot, but mutual group endorsements inform the voters and eases the ranking process. It may be why Stringer is starting to do decently in the rcv transfers cause all the Progressives now know who to put at the top of the list and not leave it blank.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #695 on: April 23, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »

^ Neither of you live in NYC. I actually have to work for the city that Yang would govern and I'm not looking forward to it!

Anyways...it seems Stringer has decided that since he cannot come up with a reason for people to vote *for* him, he is hoping that Dianne Morales comes up with one.

Eh, he's clearly a progressive with governing experience. That's a good reason to vote for someone!

I think he's not doing tremendously in getting that message out, but I think that has a lot to do with Yang sucking up so much media oxygen in this race, and the minimal impact that grassroots politicking has on this race compared to previous years.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #696 on: April 23, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »

1. Per your avatar, you're in Nunvaut, so you're misrepresenting yourself on this forum.
2. Well, you worked in a city governed by De Blasio for 8 years, how did that go?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #697 on: April 23, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »

1. Per your avatar, you're in Nunvaut, so you're misrepresenting yourself on this forum.
2. Well, you worked in a city governed by De Blasio for 8 years, how did that go?
1. I live in the Nunavaut section of Brooklyn.
2. Not terrible until he shafted everyone in favor of the cops. No reason to doubt that Yang would do the same
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #698 on: April 23, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »

Yang is considering making Val Demings (?) police commissioner.

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #699 on: April 23, 2021, 12:04:51 PM »

Yang is considering making Val Demings (?) police commissioner.

Does he know she's a member of Congress and lives in Florida? Or is there another Val Demings I don't know about?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies