Opinion of Michelle Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 05:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Michelle Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Former First Lady
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Opinion of Michelle Obama  (Read 892 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:29:15 AM »

Titanium FF, easy vote.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »

FF
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »

whocare

she is a private citizen with no political legitimacy

this would be like asking Atlas if my mom is an FF/HP
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »

FF. Michelle Obama is as magnetic a public speaker as her husband, and was a dignified, but engaging, First Lady.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »

She seems like a nice person. She is not, however, gifted with some capacity for soaring oratory, as some people seem to think she is.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »

Massive FF!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »

I love the conspiracy theory of her secretly being a man. That has got to be the second most insane theory I've ever heard. The only one that surpasses it are the 9/11 truthers who actually believe the World Trade Center was a hologram and that the towers never existed.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »

She seems like a nice person. She is not, however, gifted with some capacity for soaring oratory, as some people seem to think she is.
I recall her 2016 DNC speech being pretty good. It was filled with cheesy Democratic platitudes ("we're all in this together," "when they go low, we go high," etc, but yes, Michelle Obama's charisma is very overrated. I think she packs more of a punch before a live, in person audience.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »

whocare

Barack Obama is a "private citizen", too. She's clearly a public figure who we can express relevant opinions about.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »

whocare

I don't know your mom's name. Why is that?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »

She gave a great speech
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 06:33:36 PM »

Huge FF. Should run for Senate or something
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »

whocare

Barack Obama is a "private citizen", too. She's clearly a public figure who we can express relevant opinions about.

Key difference being that Mrs. Obama has always been a private citizen, never elected or appointed to any public office.  In a strict Emily Post-type interpretation, any official courtesies afforded to a First Lady are only as deference to her husband.  She receives no official form of address, because being First Lady is not an office but a role. 

What other former First Ladies have spoken at national conventions? (Answer:  None, except Senator Hillary Clinton in 2004)  It's an uncomfortable thing to do.  Imagine never-elected-to-anything Laura Bush talking with such searing intensity about President Barack Obama when he ran for reelection in 2012.  Not even the much-beloved Nancy Reagan ever addressed an RNC after her husband left office.  Wives typically have brief, uncontroversial roles at national conventions only when their husbands are the nominees.

This unbecoming episode is just further confirmation that the contemporary Democratic Party is nothing more than a weird Obama personality cult, not motivated by any kind of ideological or policy goal.

I dunno, because I know yours Cheesy

(this was too good to pass up, Mods pls don't delete)

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »

Massive FF.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:51 PM »

FF.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 04:22:05 AM »

This unbecoming episode is just further confirmation that the contemporary Democratic Party is nothing more than a weird Obama personality cult, not motivated by any kind of ideological or policy goal.

Are you desperately trying to get new and more liberals to tell you that you live in an alternate reality?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »

whocare

Key difference being that Mrs. Obama has always been a private citizen, never elected or appointed to any public office.  In a strict Emily Post-type interpretation, any official courtesies afforded to a First Lady are only as deference to her husband.  She receives no official form of address, because being First Lady is not an office but a role. 

What other former First Ladies have spoken at national conventions? (Answer:  None, except Senator Hillary Clinton in 2004)  It's an uncomfortable thing to do.  Imagine never-elected-to-anything Laura Bush talking with such searing intensity about President Barack Obama when he ran for reelection in 2012.  Not even the much-beloved Nancy Reagan ever addressed an RNC after her husband left office.  Wives typically have brief, uncontroversial roles at national conventions only when their husbands are the nominees.

I dunno, because I know yours Cheesy

(this was too good to pass up, Mods pls don't delete)

have you heard of somebody called Eleanor Roosevelt?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »

she's smart and seems like a good person and there is no evidence pointing in the other direction, FF

and I agree with Sanchez with the "she's a man" conspiracy so many on the right enjoy.  I don't think very many of them actually believe it (unlike, say, the Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya thing), but I suspect they think it's funny.  (it's not)  She doesn't even look like she used to be a dude.  It's the same with Jamie Lee Curtis, how do you confuse that fine looking lady with an ex-dude?  I'm not going to say that there are no transwomen that look good, but most of them are hideous looking as women.  Certainly way less attractive typically than Michelle or Jamie.
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »

I love the conspiracy theory of her secretly being a man. That has got to be the second most insane theory I've ever heard. The only one that surpasses it are the 9/11 truthers who actually believe the World Trade Center was a hologram and that the towers never existed.
Honestly, when people talk about Michelle being a dude, I assume they mean she wants to transition from female to male, rather than having done the opposite. Either way, maybe it's just me, but I don't see the problem with Michelle hypothetically being on the team.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »

Not really a fan of insulting a first lady, but she can be really annoying. And I hate the way the media talks about her. It's as cringeworthy as when Joe Biden tried to call Obama articulate
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »

Honestly, when people talk about Michelle being a dude, I assume they mean she wants to transition from female to male, rather than having done the opposite. Either way, maybe it's just me, but I don't see the problem with Michelle hypothetically being on the team.

Exactly. It's just a stupid dog whistle, no different than Hillary getting called a lesbian in the '90s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies