2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 09:52:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 52
Author Topic: 2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)  (Read 30254 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2020, 11:28:05 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2020, 09:47:18 PM by Senator YE »

Who would have guessed ten years ago that an entire prime time lineup for the 2020 DNC would include the architects of the Iraq War and a tribute to John McCain haha

Who would've guessed ten years ago that 99% of Republican elected officials would become Donald Trump's bitches?

Quote removed by moderator

I don’t understand. You’re apparently an R-MS Never Trumper who supported Bloomberg. I would have thought you would have applauded that ex-Bush/McCain supporters are endorsing Biden. Yet your criticisms sound indistinguishable from far leftist criticisms.

I'm a partisan Republican.  Not a conservative; not a libertarian; not a #NeverTrumper - none of that.  Every morning I wake up and lay alms at the altar of Haley Barbour, Thad Cochran, #MoscowMitch, corporate agriculture and Mississippi State's earmark budget.  Politics isn't ideology, it's survival.

Bloomberg was an interesting sideshow, but I didn't vote in the Democratic Primary.  The main reason I liked him was for how little he thought of corporate-run media and Democratic insiders.  His politics (insomuch as he has them) was secondary.  I'm ok singing on the same song sheet as chapos as long as its the Democratic Party that's in their crosshairs.  Politics is war.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #676 on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »

Who would have guessed ten years ago that an entire prime time lineup for the 2020 DNC would include the architects of the Iraq War and a tribute to John McCain haha

The Iraq War ended nearly a decade ago and has stopped being a relevant political issue. This is like suggesting having pro-Vietnam War people at a 1980s DNC is some big "gotcha."

Democrats have always liked John McCain when he wasn't in a general election against a Democrat. They liked him attacking George W. Bush in the 2000 primaries; Kerry considered him as a running mate at one point to troll the GOP; they liked him sticking it to evangelicals like Huckabee in 2008; and they liked him destroying Republicans' pitiful attempt to repeal the ACA in 2017.

Your comment that the Iraq War is irrelevent is sickening and an unmitigated insult to the civilians who lost their lives in a totally unncessary war based on the lies Powell held steadfast to. Demonstrating a sane foreign policy is critical if the Democrats are trying to show their moral superiority to the lunatic GOP. This did the exact opposite, and that does not bode well for Biden's approach in the Middle East.

It's Colin Powell, not Cheney or Kissinger 🙄
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2020, 11:32:51 PM »

The Roses better get their pitchfork ready because Schlossberg is getting his JD now and he going to run for something.  

If his reason for running for office isn't solely dependent on his grandfather's name, then I'm all for his future political career.

Seems like he's been trying to get ready to run for office since he was 8. Another silver spoon prep kid at Harvard. Does he really care about some peasants in Nebraska who can't afford insulin?

The greatness of RFK/JFK was lightning in a bottle.. don't look for greatness from the family line just because of the last name.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #678 on: August 18, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »

The Iraq War ended nearly a decade ago and has stopped being a relevant political issue. This is like suggesting having pro-Vietnam War people at a 1980s DNC is some big "gotcha."

Democrats have always liked John McCain when he wasn't in a general election against a Democrat. They liked him attacking George W. Bush in the 2000 primaries; Kerry considered him as a running mate at one point to troll the GOP; they liked him sticking it to evangelicals like Huckabee in 2008; and they liked him destroying Republicans' pitiful attempt to repeal the ACA in 2017.

Your comment that the Iraq War is irrelevent is sickening and an unmitigated insult to the civilians who lost their lives in a totally unncessary war based on the lies Powell held steadfast to. Demonstrating a sane foreign policy is critical if the Democrats are trying to show their moral superiority to the lunatic GOP. This did the exact opposite, and that does not bode well for Biden's approach in the Middle East.

The Iraq war was an absolute disaster. That is a near-absolute consensus, and it should not have happened. At the same time, what is there to be gained by not welcoming its proponents into the tent? How are the Democrats better off in any way with a smaller coalition? The more the merrier.

The party opening itself up to unpopular foreign policy hawks will not miraculously flip GOP voters. Putting despicable creatures like Powell up on some pedestal isn't going to somehow expand the tent of the Democratic Party. Instead of sacrificing the moral high ground to gain some political points, the party should instead reject the men who orchestrated the pillaging of Iraq and showcase why the Democratic vision is better.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #679 on: August 18, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »

The Iraq war was an absolute disaster. That is a near-absolute consensus, and it should not have happened. At the same time, what is there to be gained by not welcoming its proponents into the tent? How are the Democrats better off in any way with a smaller coalition? The more the merrier.
Because tightening their coalition worked terribly for the Republicans, yeah?
They're a minority party that only has power due to slave-owning relics in our system.  A system that over time is falling apart for them.  So yeah it has worked out pretty bad for them.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #680 on: August 18, 2020, 11:34:43 PM »

Why do generals and military people seem to get a pass for their involvement in America's actions? This culture of camo worship needs to stop.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #681 on: August 18, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »

Why do generals and military people seem to get a pass for their involvement in America's actions? This culture of camo worship needs to stop.

I don't give him a pass and I don't like him, but to act as though he's anywhere near as evil as the people I mentioned is disingenuous. A big tent is a good thing, so long as it does not cover the most rabid warmongers and ideologues. Powell is neither of those things, just a fossil who suburban over 50s like.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:50 PM »

So are liberals going to spend the first half of the 21st century litigating the Iraq war and the 2016 Democratic primary?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2020, 11:57:01 PM »

The Roses better get their pitchfork ready because Schlossberg is getting his JD now and he going to run for something.  

If his reason for running for office isn't solely dependent on his grandfather's name, then I'm all for his future political career.

Seems like he's been trying to get ready to run for office since he was 8. Another silver spoon prep kid at Harvard. Does he really care about some peasants in Nebraska who can't afford insulin?

The greatness of RFK/JFK was lightning in a bottle.. don't look for greatness from the family line just because of the last name.

Didn't say that's what I'm doing, you'd have to talk to MillennialModerate to get that kind of response.

But if Schlossberg - when he runs for office - actually offers serious & compelling arguments as to why he'd be the best candidate to hold the office he's running for, then I'm not gonna oppose him purely on the basis of his name.

Compare that to the primary challenge that Markey is receiving from JKIII, who hasn't made a clear case as to why he thinks Markey is out-of-touch with Massachusetts & its values, hasn't provided any real argument for why he'd be a better Senator for Massachusetts than Markey, & is seemingly only banking on his name-recognition & Camelot nostalgia to win him this primary so he can use the Senate seat to elevate his profile to presidential material-status.

All of this is to say that if Schlossberg were to - like JKIII - base his campaign on the basis of who his family is, then I'd oppose him for doing so. But if he were to actually show & prove that he deserves an opportunity to hold elected office regardless of who his family happens to be, then I wouldn't oppose him because he still happens to be a member of that particular family anyway.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2020, 11:59:15 PM »

Didn't say that's what I'm doing, you'd have to talk to MillennialModerate to get that kind of response.

But if Schlossberg - when he runs for office - actually offers serious & compelling arguments as to why he'd be the best candidate to hold the office he's running for, then I'm not gonna oppose him purely on the basis of his name.

Compare that to the primary challenge that Markey is receiving from JKIII, who hasn't made a clear case as to why he thinks Markey is out-of-touch with Massachusetts & its values, hasn't provided any real argument for why he'd be a better Senator for Massachusetts than Markey, & is seemingly only banking on his name-recognition & Camelot nostalgia to win him this primary so he can use the Senate seat to elevate his profile to presidential material-status.

All of this is to say that if Schlossberg were to - like JKIII - base his campaign on the basis of who his family is, then I'd oppose him for doing so. But if he were to actually show & prove that he deserves an opportunity to hold elected office regardless of who his family happens to be, then I wouldn't oppose him because he still happens to be a member of that particular family anyway.

I was agreeing with you, my comments were more directed at the person you were responding to. But yeah you're absolutely right, if he actually has compelling ideas and proves himself as a leader, I wouldn't be opposed.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #685 on: August 18, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »

I don't give him a pass and I don't like him, but to act as though he's anywhere near as evil as the people I mentioned is disingenuous. A big tent is a good thing, so long as it does not cover the most rabid warmongers and ideologues. Powell is neither of those things, just a fossil who suburban over 50s like.

That's fair.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #686 on: August 19, 2020, 12:03:59 AM »

It's not a value judgment, it's a fact.

A lot of people died in World War II, but World War II wasn't relevant to the 1960 presidential election.

Normie voters don't care about foreign policy beyond when it's their kid/friend who's getting deployed and getting injured/killed. That's what ultimately turned people against the Iraq War.

If you think you're going to convince Americans to care about Iraqi civilians, well...look who's president! Donald Trump's idea of opposing the Iraq War basically amounted to, "We should have dropped enough bombs on the place to kill everything but the cockroaches and then flown back home."
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #687 on: August 19, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »

When Gene McCarthy was running for the nomination in 1968, RFK belatedly decided he wanted to run (having gotten bored with the Senate seat he'd just carpetbagged into), and tried to bully him out of the race. McCarthy held firm. RFK entered the race anyway, ensuring the anti-war vote in the Democratic party was split and making it easier for Humphrey (even in a timeline where RFK didn't get shot).

That should tell you everything you need to know about Bobby Kennedy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #688 on: August 19, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »

I feel like arguments about the Iraq War and the Kennedy dynasty are not productive conversations to have in a DNC thread.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #689 on: August 19, 2020, 12:38:47 AM »

Trying to be clever when engaging with people who enjoy political conventions is a waste of material.

You are on a site full to the brim with political junkies who enjoy obsessively analyzing political polls, trends, maps, and returns down to the county if not precinct level. And in a thread on said site discussing a live political convention. You have posted over 5000 times here. Yet you think you are somehow above those who enjoy watching these conventions?

K.

There's an extremely obvious difference between liking statistics/debates and liking partisan platitude orgies.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #690 on: August 19, 2020, 01:48:00 AM »

I feel like arguments about the Iraq War and the Kennedy dynasty are not productive conversations to have in a DNC thread.

You actually expect an Atlas thread to stay on topic beyond three pages?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #691 on: August 19, 2020, 02:23:57 AM »

“The architects” or “an architect”? I’m not aware of anyone who played a big role in the Iraq War besides Powell speaking.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #692 on: August 19, 2020, 02:37:41 AM »

Here's how the roll call mapped out:

Sanders won the Democrats Abroad delegation 10-7 as well, but all the rest of the territories went heavily for Biden.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #693 on: August 19, 2020, 02:51:38 AM »

By the way, where’s Al Gore? Are they keeping him a surprise?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #694 on: August 19, 2020, 03:32:46 AM »

By the way, where’s Al Gore? Are they keeping him a surprise?

As of right now, he's not speaking. But we didn't know Carter would speak 'til the day of, so who knows anymore?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #695 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #696 on: August 19, 2020, 08:01:24 AM »

Of course its low, Carville said it was gonna be low due to telecommunications.  It's no different than watching politics on a nightly news program, so people tuned out and watch highlights

Biden will win the 278 map plus wave insurance states of AZ, NC and KS GA and IA Senate seats
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #697 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #698 on: August 19, 2020, 08:13:57 AM »

This is the 2nd convention with way too much identity politics.
guess what word hasn't been said once at this convention? "Latinx". A word that YOUR candidate tried to force on Latinos despite them overwhelmingly rejecting it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #699 on: August 19, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »

This is the 2nd convention with way too much identity politics.
guess what word hasn't been said once at this convention? "Latinx". A word that YOUR candidate tried to force on Latinos despite them overwhelmingly rejecting it.

Stop
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies