2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:59:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 52
Author Topic: 2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)  (Read 30112 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 18, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »

Beto stans triggered that he still hasn't been added.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #351 on: August 18, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »

Beto already got to speak.  He and Klobuchar were the main two 2020 opponents featured in the "we lost to Biden and we're happy about it" montage.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »

Now, imagine of Sanders gave a speech like that four years ago.

Now, imagine the Hacks for Hillary brigade treating Bernie’s supporters with more respect than they’d give a housefly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #353 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »

Now, imagine the Hacks for Hillary brigade treating Bernie’s supporters with more respect than they’d give a housefly.

FWIW, Bernie bros heckled Brie Brie (out of all people) yesterday because she dared to say that she'd support a Sanders/Michelle Obama ticket.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #354 on: August 18, 2020, 12:41:42 PM »

Trump was treated, not as a Prez, but a celebrity,  and Bernie speech wasnt needed due to fact Trump was gonna lose anyways.

That's why Obama whom failed to get rid of filibuster in 2009 to pass DC statehood,  made the mistake of not recessing appointing Merrick Garland

Obama failed to Recess appoint any Judge that's why he got rid of judicial filibuster
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #355 on: August 18, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »

In politics, you have to reckon with the relationships you've built. Bernie lost out in both cycles because he failed to create close relationships with popular Democrats that could have helped him win over more voters.

Hillary, on the other hand, had to reckon with the fact that her team treated Bernie poorly (and arguably unfairly), and in return they didn't receive as enthusiastic a backing as they believed they were entitled to. That's completely on Hillary. Biden formed a much better relationship with Sanders, and he's reaping the benefits. It's one of the most positive aspects of Biden in my opinion, he's great at forming good relationships with people on both sides and that's how progress gets made.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »

In politics, you have to reckon with the relationships you've built. Bernie lost out in both cycles because he failed to create close relationships with popular Democrats that could have helped him win over more voters.

Hillary, on the other hand, had to reckon with the fact that her team treated Bernie poorly (and arguably unfairly), and in return they didn't receive as enthusiastic a backing as they believed they were entitled to. That's completely on Hillary. Biden formed a much better relationship with Sanders, and he's reaping the benefits. It's one of the most positive aspects of Biden in my opinion, he's great at forming good relationships with people on both sides and that's how progress gets made.

Hillary's team let Bernie put his people on the platform committee and changed the platform to satisfy his demands.  The entire first night of the convention was dedicated to kissing Bernie's ass.  She also had to spend the entire last few months of the race trying to appease him and dancing around the reality of her own dominating victory, and got nothing for it but a slap in the face.  At the end of the day, "Hillary didn't reach out enough, so she deserved to lose the 25% of Bernie voters who put Trump in office" isn't a take that will age well.

That said, I like this alternate history better than the other ones that rely on WikiLeaks conspiracy theories or "it was rigged" nonsense.

At any rate, the 2016 race is ancient history now and there's no point relitigating it in this thread.  Bernie did a good job last night.  I just wish he'd been cognizant enough of the stakes in 2016 to do the same back then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »

I always hear that Clinton treated Sanders poorly, and yet after all these years I'm still waiting for one single, specific instance where that happened. Did she refuse to shake his hand after a debate? Did she stick a kick-me sign on his back? Did she spit in his coffee?
And please, don't tell me conspiracy theories about DWS rigging the primaries and/or the debates.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »

Very nice! I hope I won't be too sad to see how he is physically.

Now back to more "Bernie & 2016: The Atlas Story"
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »

Very nice! I hope I won't be too sad to see how he is physically.

Now back to more "Bernie & 2016: The Atlas Story"

I'm on the verge of putting a few of the centrist bros on ignore.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »

Hold up...the GOP had their 1996 convention in San Diego? I doubt we'll see a GOP convention in California again in a loooong time.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2020, 05:01:57 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Hold up...the GOP had their 1996 convention in San Diego? I doubt we'll see a GOP convention in California again in a loooong time.

San Diego still has a Republican mayor who succeeded a Democratic one in a special election in 2013 and hung on in 2016.

Edit: however, in 2020, the top two in the primary to succeed the term-limited incumbent were both Democrats.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »

San Diego still has a Republican mayor who succeeded a Democratic one in the wave of 2014 and hung on in 2018.
True. However, the San Diego City Council is controlled by Democrats (with a strong majority). Also, the mayoral election this year is between 2 Democrats. The death of the California Republican Party continues.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #363 on: August 18, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »

San Diego still has a Republican mayor who succeeded a Democratic one in the wave of 2014 and hung on in 2018.
True. However, the San Diego City Council is controlled by Democrats (with a strong majority). Also, the mayoral election this year is between 2 Democrats. The death of the California Republican Party continues.
Trends ar re...agreed.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #364 on: August 18, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #365 on: August 18, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by how relatively well the first night went. I hope tonight could be just as good, or even better. Of course tonight's main speakers don't quite have the clout that Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders have from last night. I guess we'll see.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #366 on: August 18, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by how relatively well the first night went. I hope tonight could be just as good, or even better. Of course tonight's main speakers don't quite have the clout that Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders have from last night. I guess we'll see.

Bill is still one of the best speakers out there.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #367 on: August 18, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »

Love this:

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »

Jacquelyn > the NYT Editorial Board.

Seriously, if there's ever a documentary &/or scripted series about the 2020 Democratic primary, the juxtaposition of Biden failing to impress the Editorial Board but completely flooring Jacquelyn will be the moment that foreshadows his ultimate victory. Hell, I don't even remember the NYT Editorial Board's interview with him, but I remember this video. That says it all, really.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »

Bill is still one of the best speakers out there.

I feel like Bill Clinton peaked as speaker during the 2012 convention

since than he is has been ok but has never again been as entertaining or as electrifying as he was that night
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »

Hillary's team let Bernie put his people on the platform committee and changed the platform to satisfy his demands.  The entire first night of the convention was dedicated to kissing Bernie's ass.  She also had to spend the entire last few months of the race trying to appease him and dancing around the reality of her own dominating victory, and got nothing for it but a slap in the face.  At the end of the day, "Hillary didn't reach out enough, so she deserved to lose the 25% of Bernie voters who put Trump in office" isn't a take that will age well.

That said, I like this alternate history better than the other ones that rely on WikiLeaks conspiracy theories or "it was rigged" nonsense.

At any rate, the 2016 race is ancient history now and there's no point relitigating it in this thread.  Bernie did a good job last night.  I just wish he'd been cognizant enough of the stakes in 2016 to do the same back then.

I think you need to remember that a lot of the Bernie primary voters who voted for Trump weren't doctrinaire Red Rose leftists. They were people who weren't actually that liberal at all and only voted in the Democratic primary out of habit while usually backing Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats in general elections. People in West Virginia weren't voting for Bernie because they were Democratic regulars who wanted to move the party in a social democratic direction; they were voting for Bernie because they were conservatives who hated Hillary and wanted/needed to vote for their county coroner in the Democratic primary.

You can't blame Bernie for not keeping "his" voters loyal because that section of them fundamentally were never his voters, they were just consumed by Hillary hatred.

(Bernie's people also misunderstood this and thought there was some big appetite for deracialized, deculturalized class-based politics among rural white people.)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »

Hey look, less than an hour before Night 2!

Perhaps we can shove the daily Bernie relitigation aside for 120 minutes.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »

Hey look, less than an hour before Night 2!

Perhaps we can shove the daily Bernie relitigation aside for 120 minutes.

But what fun is the internet without endless arguments? Cry
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »

Cindy McCain and Colin Powell will also be speaking tonight.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: August 18, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »

FWIW, Bernie bros heckled Brie Brie (out of all people) yesterday because she dared to say that she'd support a Sanders/Michelle Obama ticket.

Sexist says what?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies