At a Crossroads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:02:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  At a Crossroads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: At a Crossroads  (Read 5656 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:58:51 PM »

I don't know what to do.

I used to be so liberal, and now, I'm turning moderate.  The other night, I was arguing with my dad about how the War in Iraq was right and the Kelo decision was wrong.  He's only an Independent (though a left-leaning one) and he made me see how far left the Democratic party as a whole is.  I don't know what party to support anymore.  On the issues, I was talking to this kind from a simulation forum, and he was helping me decide which party to join in the simulation.  When I told him my positions, he said I was definitely a conservative Republican, with the exception of gay marriage.  So basically, I have no idea what to do.   The Democrats make me so so angry on foreign policy and economics, but the amount of religion in the Republican party makes me even angrier (though not much anymore).  Can anyone help me?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:10:45 PM »

So, you do not want to be in the Democrats or Republicans?

This is going to be a hard one...

I have it!

Dun dun dun! Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »

So, you do not want to be in the Democrats or Republicans?

This is going to be a hard one...

I have it!

Dun dun dun! Smiley

Not an option with Pennsylvania's archaic laws.  I might want to have a future in politics, and being an Independent does nothing for me.  I feel like I need to pick a party.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:14:29 PM »

In that case, I would identify as an independent here (why not? :).  As for your state, ask yourself:  in which party do you most see yourself as wanting to belong and feeling comfortable in?

While you're at it, get a new name.  ;)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:53:01 PM »

Didn't you have a Republican avatar for a while there?  I recall this happening once before.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 10:57:50 PM »

You should probably join the GOP. Economics and Foreign Policy are far more important than Gay Marriage. Parties are huge tents, and just because you join one doesn't mean you have to associate with the more undesirable aspects of it, in your case, the Religous Right. There are plenty of socially liberal Republicans in your region, so you wouldn't be alone, at least not until you reach the federal level, assuming your real-life ambitions come true. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 10:59:16 PM »

If I can be in the GOP, so can you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

You can't be in the GOP.  Sorry.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 11:00:32 PM »

Didn't you have a Republican avatar for a while there?  I recall this happening once before.

Yeah it did.  And I'm going through it again.  But I am just getting fed up with the Democratic party.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 11:02:33 PM »

Stay with the Dems, we need more moderates in our party.

Although that's what I would personally like you to do, my true advice would be to base your party affiliation on how you feel about the President. Do you think he's doing a good job? Is America moving in the right direction? Are we better off than we were 6 years ago?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 11:05:54 PM »

Although that's what I would personally like you to do, my true advice would be to base your party affiliation on how you feel about the President. Do you think he's doing a good job? Is America moving in the right direction? Are we better off than we were 6 years ago?

Nym, I'm not sure that's the best deciding factor, based on experience Wink
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »

I also have to take this into account:

I'm very vocal about my politics.  When I was extremely liberal during the presidential election, everyone knew me for a huge Kerry supporter.  Now, when I talk about how Barbara Boxer or someone makes me angry, everyone goes "well you're liberal, you should like her."  I try to explain to these people that I'm not really a liberal anymore, but no one seems to remember or get it.  Also, on my mom's side of the family, if I were to register Republican, would be so out of line and looked down upon, I can't even explain.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »

I'm very vocal about my politics.  When I was extremely liberal during the presidential election, everyone knew me for a huge Kerry supporter.  Now, when I talk about how Barbara Boxer or someone makes me angry, everyone goes "well you're liberal, you should like her."  I try to explain to these people that I'm not really a liberal anymore, but no one seems to remember or get it.  Also, on my mom's side of the family, if I were to register Republican, would be so out of line and looked down upon, I can't even explain.

If you're thinking about getting into politics later on down the road, you'll definitly need to be in the right party. Political affiliation is too important to let it be decided by someone other than yourself. I wouldn't concern myself with pleasing my family, or staying Democratic just to please my friends, if I were in your shoes.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »

Nym, I'm not sure that's the best deciding factor, based on experience Wink

Well, it's clearly not the only factor to consider by any means, but I would think that whether or not you agree with a party's single most prominent member would be a critical factor in deciding whether or not to affiliate with a party.

And besides, we all know you should be a Democrat (well, probably a Libertarian based on your Political Matrix scores, but I just want as many moderate Democrats as possible).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »

If you're thinking about getting into politics later on down the road, you'll definitly need to be in the right party. Political affiliation is too important to let it be decided by someone other than yourself. I wouldn't concern myself with pleasing my family, or staying Democratic just to please my friends, if I were in your shoes.

True. From a purely pragmatic standpoint of getting elected, you would want to affiliate with whichever party is in the majority in your local area.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 11:22:05 PM »

You should not base your Party choice on how you feel about the President.  He's one guy.  And he's gone in two and a half years anyway.  That's a short sighted way to go.

You shouldn't worry about gay marriage either.  In twenty years, the GOP will probably be pro-gay marriage anyway.

Become a Republican, which is the direction you're headed long term anyway, and just tell your Mom you're an independent.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 06:10:31 AM »

Well, I really don't have to decide till 2008 when I turn 18, but I'm just looking ahead.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 10:10:41 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I seriously think that you should become part of the Republican party. As many other people have said social issues should not be a deciding factor in which party you choose since, in the long run, it doesn't matter that much. I firmly believe that in 20-25 years, unless the courts get involved like in Roe v. Wade, the Republican Party and the country as a whole will be more pro-gay marriage. The Republicans will probably support some sort of civil union idea.

That having been said you fall directly into that position between the Rockefeller Republicans that are still strong in the Northeast and the libertarians which still have power over economic policy within the party. When you're a libertarian in todays political sphere you really belong in neither party and you need to choose the lesser of two evils, which I HATE doing and in a democracy you shouldn't have to do but I'll rant about that some other time. Join the Republicans True Dem.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »

Your should change your party solely to how you feel about farm subsidies Tongue

However, if you feel you'd like to change to the good guys-David S, Bacon King, Dibble and myself would gladly have you in the party.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:36 PM »

Your should change your party solely to how you feel about farm subsidies Tongue

However, if you feel you'd like to change to the good guys-David S, Bacon King, Dibble and myself would gladly have you in the party.

Sorry, but I want to be in a party that actually wins stuff Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 09:43:05 PM »

YOU SHOULD JOIN THE GREENS THEY AGREE WITH YOU ON GAY MARRIAGE

THE REPUBLICANS DONT LOL
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:19 PM »

If I can be a Republican...so can you...(even if some of the GOPers here think I'm wearing the wrong avatar.) You'd probably be well to the right of me.

Regardless, Democrat and Republican are not ideologies...you could be a commie pinko and be an R and a christian capitalist fundie and have a D, and be in the right place.

The question is, where do you think you can make the biggest difference?
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »

Join the GOP.  We need more moderates.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »

We win quite a good number of local elections Grin
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 12:09:47 AM »

We win quite a good number of local elections Grin

True, since all politics is local who needs to win bloody national elections anyway!

That's the spirit! Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies