At a Crossroads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 07:43:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  At a Crossroads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: At a Crossroads  (Read 5636 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 01:57:54 AM »

TrueDem, you're Jewish, right?  Or am I mistaken?
In the case of the former, if you join the Republicans and make a second convert (that's right, Nini) in only a few months, I'll kill myself!
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 03:03:50 PM »

In the case of the former, if you join the Republicans and make a second convert (that's right, Nini) in only a few months, I'll kill myself!

My mother is Jewish, so I guess officially I'm Jewish, though I had no Bar Mitzvah.  Although I'm officially Jewish, I don't consider myself Jewish.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 03:27:13 PM »

Stay with the Dems, we need more moderates in our party.

Although that's what I would personally like you to do, my true advice would be to base your party affiliation on how you feel about the President. Do you think he's doing a good job? Is America moving in the right direction? Are we better off than we were 6 years ago?

What if I think the president is too liberal??
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »

Well, I really don't have to decide till 2008 when I turn 18, but I'm just looking ahead.

When I was 18, I kept shifting between the Republicans and Libertarians, considering myself a less government independent.

I became a Republican in 2001. (when I was 22) For now, it's a two party system. The biggest reasons were guns, life, and tax issues. The 2nd amendment is a litmus test. I'm also strongly pro-life and  I hate taxes and the big spending by both parties. I agree with Republicans about 70% of the time. I agree with the current democrats 0% and that will continue as long as the rich leftist George Soros wing controls the party.

So I take what I can get.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »

Although that's what I would personally like you to do, my true advice would be to base your party affiliation on how you feel about the President. Do you think he's doing a good job? Is America moving in the right direction? Are we better off than we were 6 years ago?

Then the Constitution Party is probably the one for you.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »

Well, I really don't have to decide till 2008 when I turn 18, but I'm just looking ahead.

Well then it would make sense to wait until then to decide, and probably base it primarily on how you feel about the Presidential nominees.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »

My mother is Jewish, so I guess officially I'm Jewish, though I had no Bar Mitzvah.  Although I'm officially Jewish, I don't consider myself Jewish.

No Bar Mitzvah?  That's the best part!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 07:51:33 PM »

True Democrat, just go with your gut.

You won't agree with any party 100%.  You need to pick the party with which you are most comfortable on the important issues.  That sounds like the Republicans.

I certainly wouldn't allow the opinions of others to influence me, whether it's family or friends.  Not all my family or friends are Republicans, but I make no attempt to hide my party affiliation.  As far as I'm concerned, they can like it or lump it.  I wouldn't tell them what party to be in either.  It's nobody's business but your own.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »

I also have to take this into account:

I'm very vocal about my politics.  When I was extremely liberal during the presidential election, everyone knew me for a huge Kerry supporter.  Now, when I talk about how Barbara Boxer or someone makes me angry, everyone goes "well you're liberal, you should like her."  I try to explain to these people that I'm not really a liberal anymore, but no one seems to remember or get it.  Also, on my mom's side of the family, if I were to register Republican, would be so out of line and looked down upon, I can't even explain.

There's nothing in this world you "should like."  If you talk about Philadelphia politics with me, people think I'd be a Republican.  Talk state and national politics and I'm a liberal Democrat.  People say "you're white and from the neglected part of Philadelphia (the Northeast) therefore you should be a Republican."  I get angry at Cynthia McKinney and John Street when they spew their racially divisive rhetoic, but at the same time I am so far from the national Republican party on economic, social, and foreign issues that it's a near impossibility for me.  I would surely consider your Snowe, Chaffee, Giuliani, Katz or Specter Republicans in some cases, but anything more would be tough for me.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2006, 02:21:43 PM by J. J. »

You ought to do what I do, join the party that you are in general agreement with, and then vote for the individual, not the party.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 02:15:57 PM »

I'm more of a Libertarian (less government) than a constitution party (Buchanan on social issues) guy, although I agree more with the CP on foreign policy and international trade.

It's Bush and BOTH parties' spending that has me irate more than anything else.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 02:25:39 PM »

I'm more of a Libertarian (less government) than a constitution party (Buchanan on social issues) guy, although I agree more with the CP on foreign policy and international trade.

It's Bush and BOTH parties' spending that has me irate more than anything else.

That's why I joined the CP. I really admire Pat Buchanan, he's a great American patriot.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 03:11:10 PM »

I don't know what to do.

I used to be so liberal, and now, I'm turning moderate.  The other night, I was arguing with my dad about how the War in Iraq was right and the Kelo decision was wrong.  He's only an Independent (though a left-leaning one) and he made me see how far left the Democratic party as a whole is.  I don't know what party to support anymore.  On the issues, I was talking to this kind from a simulation forum, and he was helping me decide which party to join in the simulation.  When I told him my positions, he said I was definitely a conservative Republican, with the exception of gay marriage.  So basically, I have no idea what to do.   The Democrats make me so so angry on foreign policy and economics, but the amount of religion in the Republican party makes me even angrier (though not much anymore).  Can anyone help me?

I right there with you brother. Left on Economy views and right one social
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 03:18:26 PM »

True Dem is just the opposite.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 03:27:23 PM »

lol.  i love josh22.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 08:05:55 PM »

I know that, I was talking about how I don't know which party to join.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »

I know that, I was talking about how I don't know which party to join.

Ah I see...
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 10:22:31 PM »

Thanks for all your help guys.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Republicans, but that might just be to make my dad mad. Wink

I'll just have to decide by 2008.

However, I will not be changing my name on the forum.  I used to change it every time I changed parties, but that got annoying.  Even if I become a Republican, I'll keep it as True Democrat just to make it easier for everyone else.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:30 AM »

It's your choice.  One suggestion I've heard is voting stategicly.  If your area is dominated by one party which always controls the local races, go with that one so you can make a difference in the primaries.

Ultimately, for all but the most hardcore political parties are simply a form of game theory in action.  You ally yourself with a group that is closer to your principles, and then chose who you prefer in the primary, while reserving the right to  choose differently in the general election.

Though constantly changing parties might not be good for a political career, making a  change in and of itself is not unacceptable.  (Ronald Reagan used to be a democrat).  And as a former republican, I suppose I can paraphase his words in that I didn't so much leave the GOP as they left the values I considered important (fiscal restraint, personal liberty) in favor of a faction I was displeased with (fiscially irresponsible, theocratic).  I reserve the right to change back if the party ever regains it's senses.

But parties change over time, so don't ever feel  like a  party choice ever has to be set in stone - it's your vote and you should be allowed to do with it as you choose.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 01:41:05 AM »

True Democrat I don't think you should assume all Democrats support the Kelo decision. Just because the so called "left wing of the court" voted for it doesn't mean we all agree on it. I am liberal but oppose Kelo. Its not a traditional left/right issue.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

It's your choice.  One suggestion I've heard is voting stategicly.  If your area is dominated by one party which always controls the local races, go with that one so you can make a difference in the primaries.

Unfortunately my area is split 50-50, though the Republicans control a little bit more locally.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 05:34:53 PM »

Bump

Right now, I think I'm going with the Republicans.  The Democratic position on Iraq is killing me right now, and I really like the Bush/McCain/Kennedy plan on illegal immigration (I know that's not what most Republicans think though).
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »

Bump.

I don't think anyone cares, but I just can't take it anymore.  I'm becoming a Republican.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »

Bump.

I don't think anyone cares, but I just can't take it anymore.  I'm becoming a Republican.

Sad It doesn't suit you.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »

Right now, I think I'm going with the Republicans.  The Democratic position on Iraq is killing me right now, and I really like the Bush/McCain/Kennedy plan on illegal immigration (I know that's not what most Republicans think though).

Amen to that.  Granted the Republicans are full of horrible people too.  I wish we could be indies and vote in primaries.  I'm thinking about switching anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies