Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:33:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 145959 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: January 02, 2021, 09:12:02 PM »

Beautiful!

The Fifth Circuit is the craziest CCOA in the country, for reference (unless you're a conservative who reserves that honor for the Ninth); it's 12-5 Republican and is the only CCOA I'd be worried about under more normal circumstances. Good to see not even they have time for this.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1951 on: January 02, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »

Beautiful!

The Fifth Circuit is the craziest CCOA in the country, for reference (unless you're a conservative who reserves that honor for the Ninth); it's 12-5 Republican and is the only CCOA I'd be worried about under more normal circumstances. Good to see not even they have time for this.

It's even more telling because they didn't even wait for Gohmert's briefing apparently. They got the appeal less than 24 hours ago and just slapped it down as hard as they could. Out of all the courts in this country, you'd think the 5th would be the most receptive to this. But this appears to be one of the hardest slap downs of an election lawsuit so far.

Edit: And thank you to election twitter for helping me get more details. A thread I found very helpful on this ruling:

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1345543067533778946
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1952 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »

Pence's COS: “The Vice President welcomes the efforts of members of the House and Senate to use the authority they have under the law to raise objections and bring forward evidence before the Congress and the American people on January 6th.”

Sounds to me like he's covering his ass for when he can't lawfully do what the Parler crowd wants him to do.

If you squint, you could also read it as a slight against Gohmert's recent lawsut.

"The house and the senate have the authority, not me."

Gohmert really is the archetypal lickspittle, isn't he? Imagine suing someone to give them more power relative to yourself. Can't relate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Gohmert#Early_political_career
Gohmert attended The JAG School at the University of Virginia and entered U.S. Army JAG Corps. He served in the JAG Corps at Fort Benning, Georgia, from 1978-82.[7][8] The majority of his legal service in the U.S. Army was as a defense attorney.

Gohmert was elected as a state district judge for Texas's 7th Judicial District, serving Smith County (Tyler, Texas) from 1992 to 2002. He was elected to three terms.[7] He first saw national recognition for a 1996 probation requirement where he ordered an HIV positive man, who was convicted on motor vehicle theft charges, to seek the written consent from all future sexual partners on a court provided form notifying them of his HIV status.[9] The order angered LGBT activists and civil libertarians.[9]

In 2002, Gohmert was appointed by Texas Governor Rick Perry to fill a vacancy as Chief Justice on Texas's 12th Court of Appeals, where he served a six-month term, which ended in 2003

Gohmert isn't this stupid. What he's doing is posturing. He's attacking our electoral process as a PR stunt.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1953 on: January 02, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »

Pence's COS: “The Vice President welcomes the efforts of members of the House and Senate to use the authority they have under the law to raise objections and bring forward evidence before the Congress and the American people on January 6th.”

Sounds to me like he's covering his ass for when he can't lawfully do what the Parler crowd wants him to do.

If you squint, you could also read it as a slight against Gohmert's recent lawsut.

"The house and the senate have the authority, not me."

Gohmert really is the archetypal lickspittle, isn't he? Imagine suing someone to give them more power relative to yourself. Can't relate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Gohmert#Early_political_career
Gohmert attended The JAG School at the University of Virginia and entered U.S. Army JAG Corps. He served in the JAG Corps at Fort Benning, Georgia, from 1978-82.[7][8] The majority of his legal service in the U.S. Army was as a defense attorney.

Gohmert was elected as a state district judge for Texas's 7th Judicial District, serving Smith County (Tyler, Texas) from 1992 to 2002. He was elected to three terms.[7] He first saw national recognition for a 1996 probation requirement where he ordered an HIV positive man, who was convicted on motor vehicle theft charges, to seek the written consent from all future sexual partners on a court provided form notifying them of his HIV status.[9] The order angered LGBT activists and civil libertarians.[9]

In 2002, Gohmert was appointed by Texas Governor Rick Perry to fill a vacancy as Chief Justice on Texas's 12th Court of Appeals, where he served a six-month term, which ended in 2003

Gohmert isn't this stupid. What he's doing is posturing. He's attacking our electoral process as a PR stunt.

"There are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance?"--Roman Hruska
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1954 on: January 02, 2021, 10:16:20 PM »

You'd think that if they had any, then it would've already been presented... of course, given that there won't be any standards of evidence in this goofy theatrical display of lunacy, a stack of reports of people who heard of relatives of people in nearby states who had some concerns about people looking shifty while voting will do just fine in this forum.

Beautiful!

It's even more telling because they didn't even wait for Gohmert's briefing apparently. They got the appeal less than 24 hours ago and just slapped it down as hard as they could. Out of all the courts in this country, you'd think the 5th would be the most receptive to this. But this appears to be one of the hardest slap downs of an election lawsuit so far.

Edit: And thank you to election twitter for helping me get more details. A thread I found very helpful on this ruling:

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1345543067533778946

Yeah, I thought I'd missed something because I hadn't seen a single brief before this was issued. I was expecting a Tuesday evening decision, & honestly didn't even think it was possible for an appeal to get slapped down this quickly. Law Twitter is suggesting that this might've even been a record.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1955 on: January 03, 2021, 12:37:13 AM »

I like this tweet from that thread.

compucomp

« Reply #1956 on: January 03, 2021, 12:56:42 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2021, 12:59:47 AM by compucomp »

Peter Navarro claims the inauguration can be delayed (it can't, it's in the 20th Amendment). Navarro has said a lot of ridiculous sh*t that did not gain traction but we are moving towards the direction where Trump is evicted from the White House on Jan. 20 by federal agents.

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1957 on: January 03, 2021, 02:34:05 AM »

Peter Navarro claims the inauguration can be delayed (it can't, it's in the 20th Amendment). Navarro has said a lot of ridiculous sh*t that did not gain traction but we are moving towards the direction where Trump is evicted from the White House on Jan. 20 by federal agents.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1345561531010846720

I wish they realized that even if they objected to all 50 states & DC, held full debates & votes on all of them, & then agreed to this preposterous 10-day Electoral Commission proposal & somehow managed to push the final certification past noon on Jan. 20th, then from that point on, they'd just be stuck with Acting President Pelosi in the meantime Cheesy
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1958 on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »

My "dooming" has been less that the vote will go Trump's way than the message it sends. 140 elected officials minimum voting against the official results of an election, along with minimum 11 senators is more than a little alarming.

Not to mention we don't know what sort of stuff the MAGAts are going to do between now and inauguration day.

Yeah the worrying thing is not "Biden will not be president in 2020" but rather, "Will he even be allowed to be reelected?"

It is not hard to imagine at all an scenario where in 2024 the House and Senate go R while Biden is reelected; possibly even against Trump again. However, what if in 2024 the R congress votes to overturn the election?

The fact that 100+ House Republicans vote to overturn the election sends a very powerful message and not a good one.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1959 on: January 03, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »

All the hotels in my 'hood are packed AF next week (I live in Crystal City).  

I can automatically tell when the MAGAs are in town, because I spot them at my local Giant, CVS, and Harris Teeter walking around without masks.

It's quite hilarious how the local BLM "urban" youths are afraid of these redneck peoples, and stay away.

Or maybe they just don't want to get COVID.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1960 on: January 03, 2021, 12:42:32 PM »

retweet

more:

I spoke to Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger yesterday about Fulton County and voter fraud in Georgia. He was unwilling, or unable, to answer questions such as the “ballots under table” scam, ballot destruction, out of state “voters”, dead voters, and more. He has no clue!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1345731043861659650

“Georgia election data, just revealed, shows that over 17,000 votes illegally flipped from Trump to Biden.” @OANN This alone (there are many other irregularities) is enough to easily “swing Georgia to Trump”. #StopTheSteal  @HawleyMO @SenTedCruz @Jim_Jordan
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1345736811906273282
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1961 on: January 03, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1962 on: January 03, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »

Read this article (not paywalled) for more details on Trump's call with Raffensperger.  Just horrible.  Trump needs to be prosecuted for attempted election fraud after he's out of office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1963 on: January 03, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »

Trump literally tells the Secretary of State to “find” the votes to give him a victory there. How is that democracy, exactly?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1964 on: January 03, 2021, 02:03:12 PM »

Read this article (not paywalled) for more details on Trump's call with Raffensperger.  Just horrible.  Trump needs to be prosecuted for attempted election fraud after he's out of office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

This is insane, and criminal by Trump. I admire Raffensperger standing up to this sort of pressure.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1965 on: January 03, 2021, 02:07:45 PM »

I'm surprised he even took the call given how Trump has turned the party against him.

But I'm glad he did so we have this exposed for the record, and for posterity.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1966 on: January 03, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »

About the state legislators call--I looked it up and three of the legislatures involved (MI, AZ, and GA) aren't even going to be in session between now and Wednesday. So it's an impossibility even if "decertification" had any legal force, which it doesn't.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1967 on: January 03, 2021, 02:26:52 PM »

That call is astounding to listen to. He sounds frantic & desperate.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1968 on: January 03, 2021, 03:07:05 PM »

because he is.  he's about to go to jail in NY.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1969 on: January 03, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »

The "Trump going to jail/prison" takes are as absurd and unrealistic as "Trump will remain president, the inauguration date can be postponed" takes from the Trumpists.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1970 on: January 03, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »

The "Trump going to jail/prison" takes are as absurd and unrealistic as "Trump will remain president, the inauguration date can be postponed" takes from the Trumpists.
The Manhattan DA office is investigating him and a federal pardon can't prevent state charges, even if he tries a ridiculous self pardon that's somehow upheld or if he resigns and let's Pence pardon him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1971 on: January 03, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »

Also that Raffensperger call alone should be grounds for charges. Hopefully Georgia elects a Democratic Attorney General in 2022!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1972 on: January 03, 2021, 03:54:33 PM »

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #1973 on: January 03, 2021, 04:26:43 PM »

Also that Raffensperger call alone should be grounds for charges. Hopefully Georgia elects a Democratic Attorney General in 2022!
Are we so polarized that we can’t trust a Republican DA to file charges if merited?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1974 on: January 03, 2021, 04:30:18 PM »

Are we so polarized that we can’t trust a Republican DA to file charges if merited?
Do you really think a Republican Attorney General could charge Trump and not be dead in the water in the next primary and not have their entire political career be DOA?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies