Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:47:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 144402 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: December 01, 2020, 11:37:33 PM »

The toddler in chief has responded....

He is such a complete sociopath that he couldn't even be bothered to type 10 words somewhere in this tweet to pretend to care about the people whose lives he put in danger.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1226 on: December 02, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »

Trump retweet:

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1227 on: December 02, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »

Trump retweet:

Every lawsuit he's filed has been rejected and the main swing states have all been certified. These people are such babies.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1228 on: December 02, 2020, 12:23:16 AM »

Trump is still going on about Detroit (which is not coextensive with Wayne County) and Philadelphia, which in any case swung towards him. The ingratitude.

When you're dogwhistling to your supporters, you can't get the racists riled up about the big swings against Trump in white places like Chester PA or Ottawa MI.  It has to be the evil negro who steals the election from Trump.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1229 on: December 02, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »

I'm sure dooming about the Wisconsin lawsuit will begin si here's a great thread.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1230 on: December 02, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »

I'm sure dooming about the Wisconsin lawsuit will begin si here's a great thread.

What's the tl;dr here? I don't really have the energy for the legalese this early in the morning. Is this a competently filed and theoretically sound case whose factual claims are unsupported?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1231 on: December 02, 2020, 08:55:30 AM »

What's the tl;dr here? I don't really have the energy for the legalese this early in the morning. Is this a competently filed and theoretically sound case whose factual claims are unsupported?

Not likely to succeed but a better chance than the others.

If Wisconsin supreme court does the unthinkable this guy seems pretty convinced SCOTUS will overturn it.

Also read an article this morning with a professor from Marquette who studies the Wisconsin supreme court quoted. She thinks it's "very unlikely" they'll rule in Trump's favor.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1232 on: December 02, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »

It's a few things:

*this case isn't being run by grifting idiots
*the WI  Supreme Court is pretty partisan
*WI absentee ballot law is more draconian than many other states
*Republicans are alleging several major procedural violations that would invalidating thousand to over a hundred thousand ballots from two heavily Democratic counties
*the case in unlikely to succeed on its merits - most of the alleged violations are are not, the Republicans just don't like the way they were handled (i.e. using a different form that usual to apply for and certify absentee ballots, but the form is an official one issued by the state for that purpose)
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1233 on: December 02, 2020, 09:13:41 AM »

I'm surprised there aren't massive protests at BLM Plaza outside the White House over Trump's blatant attempts to overthrow a democratic election.

It seems most people--except media talking heads--are just laughing it off. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1234 on: December 02, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »

The case is more sound on paper than most of Trump's lawsuits so far because Wisconsin has some pretty strict laws on how absentees can be counted but is still full of holes and unlikely to succeed.

Also while 4-3 in partisan breakdown one of the Wisconsin Supreme Court justices is actually rather moderate on voting issues and has ruled with the liberals on many election related issues this year like denying the Green Party ballot access and blocking a voter purge (somewhat ironically he's the only male on the Court and has the most conservative background, he used to work for Alliance Defending Freedom for f[inks] sake), and the Chief Justice has also ruled against Republican overreach in voting cases in the past. The doctrine of laches seems to be a big factor here, courts everywhere are pretty adamant that objections to election procedures must be brought up timely and before the election and not afterwards disenfranchised voters. Even the 2 Republicans on the PA Supreme Court ruled that in their concurrence/dissent (concurring the election should not have certification blocked but dissenting in upholding the mail-in voting law which they said should be revisited.)
compucomp

« Reply #1235 on: December 02, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »

It's a few things:

*Republicans are alleging several major procedural violations that would invalidating thousand to over a hundred thousand ballots from two heavily Democratic counties
*the case in unlikely to succeed on its merits - most of the alleged violations are are not, the Republicans just don't like the way they were handled (i.e. using a different form that usual to apply for and certify absentee ballots, but the form is an official one issued by the state for that purpose)

Thanks. Seems like this court case is designed to win in a court of law, and on the surface it could have a chance, unlike Trump's allegations of massive fraud and Hugo Chavez's interference (lol), which have no chance in a court of law but does have a chance in the court of public opinion. Nobody is going to get riled up about using the wrong form to apply for absentee ballots.

It's almost as if instead of really trying to overturn the election in the courts, Trump is actually looking to gather public support for a coup or to delegitimize Biden in the eyes of the public to set up a rematch in 2024.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1236 on: December 02, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »

Also while 4-3 in partisan breakdown one of the Wisconsin Supreme Court justices is actually rather moderate on voting issues and has ruled with the liberals on many election related issues this year like denying the Green Party ballot access and blocking a voter purge (somewhat ironically he's the only male on the Court and has the most conservative background, he used to work for Alliance Defending Freedom for f[inks] sake),

Ah yes, Hagedorn. I'm familiar with his "wingnut on LGBT issues, moderate/swingy on everything else" reputation. Interesting character.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1237 on: December 02, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »

It's a few things:

Thanks. Seems like this court case is designed to win in a court of law, and on the surface it could have a chance, unlike Trump's allegations of massive fraud and Hugo Chavez's interference (lol), which have no chance in a court of law but does have a chance in the court of public opinion. Nobody is going to get riled up about using the wrong form to apply for absentee ballots.

It's almost as if instead of really trying to overturn the election in the courts, Trump is actually looking to gather public support for a coup or to delegitimize Biden in the eyes of the public to set up a rematch in 2024.

If Trump succeeded in overturning the election in the courts, that in itself would be his coup. I doubt he's trying (or would be successful) in gathering support for one via military--especially since there's practically no chance they'd go along with it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1238 on: December 02, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »

The Trump coup attempt, or at least the Trump antidemocratic power grab attempt since the point of it is that it would technically be legal, consists of the gamesmanship with courts and state legislatures, yes. Even with that the trajectory is towards it slowly sputtering out (in every state other than Wisconsin, which of course has an abnormally radicalized state GOP even by Trump-era standards); the behavior of people like Barr, and for that matter Republican governors like Kemp and Ducey, indicates an attempt by people who know they're not actually going to stay in power to poison the well for their hated inheritors. About the only people left who seem to genuinely think that Trump can still stay in power are the legal team themselves and some of the most extreme Congressional Republicans. Rudy et al. might actually be more Trumpist than Trump himself at this stage.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1239 on: December 02, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »

It's a few things:

I'm thinking the "deligitimize Biden" angle has become the dominant one for Trump and his handlers. Not that they wouldn't take the Presidency if they could, but the chances of that are getting tinier by the day. Getting even one state (Wisconsin) to just invalidate ballots, or better yet (for Trump) overturn the results would provide a huge propaganda boost he can ride (and lie about) for the rest of his life. Plus, in his mind, it probably serves as partial payback for "Russia". 
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1240 on: December 02, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »

Nobody (even Fox when I took a gander at their front page) is paying any attention to this Wisconsin lawsuit. The result has already been certified.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1241 on: December 02, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »

Nobody (even Fox when I took a gander at their front page) is paying any attention to this Wisconsin lawsuit. The result has already been certified.

Laches is a harsh mistress.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1242 on: December 02, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »

Sidney Powell is having a rally in Alpharetta, Georgia today.  Some highlights:

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1243 on: December 02, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »

Well, if Sidney Powell and Lin Wood can get delusional deplorables to refrain from voting then more power to them!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1244 on: December 02, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

It's kind of funny watching Trumpists go down the road everybody here expected Bernie to in 2016, from going to open war against people who aren't in the cult, to calls for boycotting the election, to talk of forming his own party.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1245 on: December 02, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »

JFC, these people are complete lunatics. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1246 on: December 02, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »

It's kind of funny watching Trumpists go down the road everybody here expected Bernie to in 2016, from going to open war against people who aren't in the cult, to calls for boycotting the election, to talk of forming his own party.

Most Bernie supporters are decent human beings able to see the long term so that was never going to happen.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1247 on: December 02, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

Most Bernie supporters are decent human beings able to see the long term so that was never going to happen.

That's my point, but people were bedwetting during the 2016 primary that this would happen. Add that Republicans were saying he should do this makes it all the more entertaining to watch.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1248 on: December 02, 2020, 05:23:20 PM »

Maybe Sidney Powell is secretly getting checks from the DNC. But the DNC aren't that competent.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1249 on: December 02, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »

Lin found a pretty amazing way to own the libs!

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies