Final 10ish days of veepstakes, who will it be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:13:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Final 10ish days of veepstakes, who will it be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Biden says he will have a decision in the first week of August, so we are now in the home stretch. Who is your prediction for Biden's VP?
Kamala Harris

Susan Rice

Karen Bass

Tammy Duckworth

Elizabeth Warren

Val Demings

Keisha Lance Bottoms

Gretchen Whitmer

Tammy Baldwin

Michelle Lujan Grisham

Stacey Abrams

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 185

Author Topic: Final 10ish days of veepstakes, who will it be?  (Read 2560 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 08:48:03 AM »

It's like most likely to be Kamala, with an outside chance of Karen Bass or Liz Warren. I think Bass would be the best option, because she is experienced enough for the job, isn't polarizing, and would allow for a more open and fair process in 2024 (assuming she doesn't renege and run).

Harris would longterm be a disaster for the party, because AOC or somebody would inevitably primary her in 2024, probably some white guys too cuz she's just not very friendly and likable and ya know sexism and racism are still a thing too. She is the kind of person that political junkies and yasskween Democrat peons love, but that is a tough sell to many others. I think it would be a longterm divisive pick. But also I think Biden and the Democrats are among the dumbest elites in the world and could very well just let that happen.

Yeah I totally agree, Kamala is the last type of candidate America wants, a rich corporate Democrat from California. This will unite the rest of the country against her & these types of Dems.

Democrats are run by a bunch of out of touch Boomers. GOP is actually far younger in their leadership outside the old goon McConnell. Most of their well known politicians are in their 40s/50s & you can see the shift of the GOP in real time to be this working class party. I think Tim Scott will be the next GOP candidate because if they can show that they’re more of a party for working class people of all races, the Dem coalition just completely collapses.

The  Dems are charting a course to become what the GOP was in like the Dewey years,  a party of only Rockefeller Republicans. But this is how the country also scales back the federal overreach. 

I mean I kind of have a feeling regardless of who wins this election, we’re going to see major breaks in both parties in Congress to the point where you’ll see a lot of cooperation by right & left populists, especially the young GenX & millennial ones. Josh Hawley & AOC have way more in common with one another, as do their constituents, than either do with the corporate friendly agendas of their two parties. I think she’s learning to be careful not to feed her arguments into the FoxNews machine. She would be way more popular nationally if she never took those “Abolish ICE” positions. I think Pelosi set up that trap for her to fall in to weaken her early on.

People like Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley and Elise Stefanik are nowhere near a "working class party". This is ridiculous.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »

E W
JMT

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 02:06:19 PM by JMT »

I think it'll be Susan Rice, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Harris.

Biden is comfortably ahead in polling, so I don't think he'll take electoral concerns into account as much as picking someone who will be a good governing partner. I think he will pick Rice because he has a close working relationship with her, and knows her better than other VP contenders. Also, from what I've read, quite a few people in Obama's circle are advocating for Rice.

Perhaps this is a controversial take, but I actually think Rice would be a good pick. Here's why:

-She's on the younger side, which is important given Biden's age. This also opens the door for Rice to run in 2024 if Biden doesn't run for reelection.

-Foreign Policy experience: She's trusted and known on the world stage, which is important after the Trump era. Susan Rice can also immediately focus on foreign policy while Biden works primarily on domestic policy following the pandemic.

-Good relationship with Biden: Ideally, the Vice President will have a good relationship with the President. From what I've read, Biden and Rice have a strong relationship.

-No voting record to attack: While some have expressed concern over Rice having never run for office before, I think it could be a good thing, actually. She's still very qualified, but Republicans (and the far left, for that matter) won't be able to attack her on unpopular votes. She will have the chance to define her own domestic policy positions. And during the pandemic, there will be fewer opportunities for Rice to mess up in public.

Even if you think Rice isn't a great choice, I think many here are overreacting by saying she would be a catastrophic choice. There's no evidence she's the next Sarah Palin, and I honestly think people that would spend all their time criticizing Rice's handling of Benghazi probably weren't going to vote for Biden anyways. The GOP will attack whoever Biden picks, this is not unique to Rice. And lastly, I think the VP pick, regardless of who it is, is unlikely to sway that many voters (especially this year, people love or hate Trump and will vote accordingly, regardless of who Biden's VP is). So given these factors, I think Biden would be smart to choose Rice.  
Brandern
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2020, 02:26:51 PM »

My brain tells me Harris is still the most obvious choice, so I voted accordingly. Still, I can’t shake this feeling that he’ll go with Rice. On paper Rice seems worse, but casual, race-ignorant white suburbanites tend to go more on gut than reality, and there’s a small part of me that thinks Harris will just “rub them the wrong way” more than Rice will. Any choice will be a huge wild card.

Harris rubs me the wrong way and I'm a liberal democrat. Her and Amy Klobuchar came across during the debates as former DA's who prosecuted people of color for political points- and who really have no policy ideas or cares but really want to be president. Super ambitious people who really just want to GRASP for the ring.

As opposed to Warren, who clearly entered politics because she cares about making change.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »

My brain tells me Harris is still the most obvious choice, so I voted accordingly. Still, I can’t shake this feeling that he’ll go with Rice. On paper Rice seems worse, but casual, race-ignorant white suburbanites tend to go more on gut than reality, and there’s a small part of me that thinks Harris will just “rub them the wrong way” more than Rice will. Any choice will be a huge wild card.

Harris rubs me the wrong way and I'm a liberal democrat. Her and Amy Klobuchar came across during the debates as former DA's who prosecuted people of color for political points- and who really have no policy ideas or cares but really want to be president. Super ambitious people who really just want to GRASP for the ring.

As opposed to Warren, who clearly entered politics because she cares about making change.

Harris had many policy ideas. Still does. Not her fault if you didn't pay attention to them?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »

Harris had many policy ideas. Still does. Not her fault if you didn't pay attention to them?

Like locking up marijuana smokers?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »

and I honestly think people that would spend all their time criticizing Rice's handling of Benghazi probably weren't going to vote for Biden anyways.

Yemen would like to have a word with you.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »

and I honestly think people that would spend all their time criticizing Rice's handling of Benghazi probably weren't going to vote for Biden anyways.

Yemen would vote for Biden if not for Susan Rice? Go away useless troll
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Yemen would vote for Biden if not for Susan Rice? Go away useless troll

I'm talking about the places that Rice and the Obama admin. had their hands in (much of it resulting in suffering, disaster, broken govts, and poverty), "useless troll".

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

K, yeah, now i just know you're operating in bad faith, if you're pulling Tulsi Gabbard-style attacks.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »

K, yeah, now i just know you're operating in bad faith, if you're pulling Tulsi Gabbard-style attacks.

Harris' changing tune on drug offenses has not escaped the notice of critics, however. Forbes reported that Harris once laughed when asked about her Republican attorney general's support for marijuana legalization in 2014 and she did not back a 2010 California measure that would have led to marijuana legalization in the state. (TheWeek.com)

TIL facts = bad faith politics.
woodley park

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »

I hope it isn't Susan Rice.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »

Hoping for Warren. It's been awhile since we've gotten any Pocahontas memes. And in all seriousness, she best balances the Democratic wings on the ticket.

That kind of "balance" on the ticket hasn't been important since back before Clinton/Gore.  Back when the parties were ideologically incoherent (basically the 1890s to the 1980s), it made sense to try for balance.  But, compared to the past, "the wings" of the modern Democratic party are extremely unified ideologically (i.e. every Democrat wants to expand health coverage, fight climate change, expand voting rights, etc.).  I like Warren, and I think she'd be a good president, but electorally putting her on the ticket with Biden would harm more than help.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »

Why are people saying Rice?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »

Hoping for Warren. It's been awhile since we've gotten any Pocahontas memes. And in all seriousness, she best balances the Democratic wings on the ticket.

That kind of "balance" on the ticket hasn't been important since back before Clinton/Gore.  Back when the parties were ideologically incoherent (basically the 1890s to the 1980s), it made sense to try for balance.  But, compared to the past, "the wings" of the modern Democratic party are extremely unified ideologically (i.e. every Democrat wants to expand health coverage, fight climate change, expand voting rights, etc.).  I like Warren, and I think she'd be a good president, but electorally putting her on the ticket with Biden would harm more than help.

So the left wing of the party is extremely unified ideologically with the moderates, but also shouldn’t be on the ticket because it would hurt the party with moderate voters?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »

So the left wing of the party is extremely unified ideologically with the moderates, but also shouldn’t be on the ticket because it would hurt the party with moderate voters?

It's a mistake to conflate "moderates" with "moderate Democrats"--they're two different constituencies.  Within party ranks, any mainstream Democrat (basically, anybody but Rashida Tlaib) would ultimately be acceptable to all, center-left and far-left alike.  Fear of Trump's re-election will get everyone on board.  With general election voters, though, it would be smart to avoid picking a running mate who's already defined as a face of "the far left" (basically Warren, Sanders, the squad).  That just risks firing up those wavering Trump voters who don't find Biden as threatening as Clinton.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »

Masochism.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »

Despite everything, it'll still be Kamala Harris
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2020, 01:13:08 AM »

Harris, unless he surprises everyone with a complete dark horse.

Rice would make a fine SecState. This is mainly a domestic election, and that's mostly out of her bailiwick.
I fear for Warren's Senate seat, and she's not young. I'd like to see Duckworth, but she seems to be out.  Demings and Bass are fine, but bring less to the table overall than Whitmer. I'm a little worried about how big a target Harris will be for the GOP. To a large extent that will be true whoever Biden picks, but Harris' long public record (including her relationship with Willie Brown) will start them off with a lot of ammunition.

GOP attacks on Harris could totally backfire, making them look like the hypocritical racist, sexist scum they are. But if something does happened to Biden, they could also give us another 2016 election, which gives me nightmares.

Gretchen Whitmer would proba bly be the best of the short list, unless minority needs to be a box on a checklist. She'd drive the GOP almost as nuts as Harris, but present them with a much smaller "attack surface".  If I were Biden and wanting to play it safe, I'd announce simultaneously, Whitmer for VP, Harris for AG, and Rice and Secretary of State.

"After four years of failure and abuse of power, I want Americans to know that when they vote for Joe Biden, they're voting for a competent, honest government that can do the job."

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:32 AM »

Oh yes. Because there is a significant number of swing voters who could identify Yemen on a map, much less recognize Susan Rice’s relation to it, much less care about it at all, much less care enough about it for it to be a decisive factor in their vote.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2020, 05:14:18 AM »

Again - Trump/GOP couldn't land any good attacks on Harris back during the primary. Trump made up nicknames, tweets, etc., but he could never get a handle on Harris. That's important.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2020, 05:20:33 AM »

Again - Trump/GOP couldn't land any good attacks on Harris back during the primary. Trump made up nicknames, tweets, etc., but he could never get a handle on Harris. That's important.

Harris couldn’t get a handle on her own campaign.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2020, 05:22:28 AM »

Harris couldn’t get a handle on her own campaign.

No one is saying Harris ran a perfect campaign. But how is that relevant to right now?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies