Louis Gohmert introduces resolution that would ban the Democratic Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:16:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louis Gohmert introduces resolution that would ban the Democratic Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Louis Gohmert introduces resolution that would ban the Democratic Party  (Read 5063 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508759-gops-gohmert-introduces-resolution-that-would-ban-the-democratic-party

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) introduced a House resolution Thursday calling on lawmakers to ban organizations or political groups that have historically supported the Confederacy or slavery in the U.S., a list he said includes the Democratic Party.

“A great portion of the history of the Democratic Party is filled with racism and hatred. Since people are demanding we rid ourselves of the entities, symbols, and reminders of the repugnant aspects of our past, then the time has come for Democrats to acknowledge their party’s loathsome and bigoted past, and consider changing their party name to something that isn’t so blatantly and offensively tied to slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination, and the Ku Klux Klan,” Gohmert said in a statement.

The resolution is co-sponsored by GOP Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Jody Hice (Ga.), Randy Weber (Texas) and Andy Harris (Md.)

While Gohmert isn't really wrong here...the fact is today's Republican Party would support Slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK without any reservations. If he wants to be thorough, he should call on Congress to ban both parties.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »

I’ll take “Authoritarian dictatorship” for $500, Alex.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »

People are dying, losing their jobs, getting evicted, & this is what they choose to do with their time?

Republicans are sh*t.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:25:43 PM »

This is obvious trolling guys. If wokesters want to annihilate any reminder of slavery/segregation they would have to get rid of the Dem party just as much as they'd have to tear down statues and monuments they don't like.

Also, I have a feeling this past quote of mine will be relevant to a lot of replies in this thread-

Anytime the woke left makes any kind of an argument appealing to tolerance they're doing it in bad faith.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2020, 10:39:58 PM by lfromnj »

People are dying, losing their jobs, getting evicted, & this is what they choose to do with their time?

Republicans are sh*t.
Democrats are literally the one who brought a bill to remove confederate statues a few days ago. So are they sh**t? Let's be serious #bothsides do this . It's a waste of time on paper but trolling is stilla political statement.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:12 PM »

Endorsed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »

I love Louie Gohmert.  Now it would be positively awful if the majority of Congress were Louie Gohmerts.  Nothing would get done.  But he's an absolute hoot!

Gohmert had the best line of the 2012 campaign when he said about Mitt Romney:  "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another!".  There's value in quips like that.  He had me in stitches laughing.  The only thing anywhere near as funny was when Bobby Jindal referred to "Obamneycare" when talking about Mitt Romney's plan in MA.

I don't wish to think I view Gohmert as a particularly serious person, but comic relief is often needed badly.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:18 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2020, 10:53:59 PM by brucejoel99 »

Republicans are sh*t.
Democrats are literally the one who brought a bill to remove confederate statues a few days ago. So are they sh**t?

Except the House Democrats have proven capable of passing legislation that would mitigate everything I mentioned above in addition to actively doing the right thing in the midst of a reckoning over racial injustices in this country.

In other words, Democrats - unlike Louie Gohmert & most of the GOP - are actually capable of walking & chewing gum at the same time. Now, maybe if McConnell didn't feel the need to kill nearly every single piece of legislation that would do good for the American people once they've made their way to the Senate, things would be different. But he does, so they aren't.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:20 PM »

'Um, uh, uh, don't you know that you guys are HYPOCRITES,' is usually what the libs do.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 11:13:16 PM »

The Republican Party is not a serious political organization.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:17:30 PM »

They're more serious than Ted Wheeler.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »

Sorry, I don’t remember Wheeler proposing to Ban the GOP.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:40:00 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2020, 11:51:58 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

For decades, the Republican Party has long been delegitimizing the Democratic Party as an 'anti-American' political party out to destroy the 'American way of life' since at least the 1990s, especially with the advent of right-wing media propaganda networks whose intention is to create an alternative reality with its own set of 'facts', or 'alternative facts' to use Kellyanne Conway's terminology.  You can see the effects of that propaganda here on this forum, and out in the real world.  This bill by Rep. Gohmert is more than just an ironic little game meant to prove some point -it is the logical outcome of this strategy that these Republican fascists have been pursuing for decades now.  A strategy intended to set the stage, to prepare gullible minds to acquiesce to the unthinkable.  So I thank Rep. Gohmert for exposing to the world the long-term plan by one major political party to destroy another.  A political party that has recognized it can no longer maintain its power through winning a truly free and fair election.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »

Outrage from the Daughters of the Confederacy and reenactment groups incoming, yeah?

Seriously, though, this wouldn't hold up to freedom of speech concerns, but I would actually prefer a name change and reformation as a "new" party. I'm not attached to the Democratic party was an institution. I'm about the policies they currently support. There's no reason to cling to a name just because it's historic.

My only issue would be what to call the new party. I stink at names but some people are even worse. Freedom for All Party?  Liberty Party?  Aequitas? I'd also be cool with coöpting the Progressive Party, but I have a feeling moderate Democrats wouldn't be a fan.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »

Perhaps the Democrats could claim the name of the Republican party, since it appears that name is no longer needed current owners? (The current Republicans could, in turn, call themselves The Party of the Star-Spangled Banner, or perhaps the Russian-American Federation.)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 12:59:01 AM »

This is "just a joke" but remember when a woman introduced a satirical piece of legislation carrying a fine for certain activities (see below) the right lost their mind and claimed men were under attack.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/13/health/abortion-texas-lawmaker-trnd/index.html

And in all honesty I'm perfectly fine with this legislation banning the Democratic Party for being associated with confederate symbolism--especially given the Republican Party would also be subject to it given their president is pathologically obsessed with Confederate symbolism.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 01:09:10 AM »

I love Louie Gohmert.  Now it would be positively awful if the majority of Congress were Louie Gohmerts.  Nothing would get done.  But he's an absolute hoot!

Gohmert had the best line of the 2012 campaign when he said about Mitt Romney:  "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another!".  There's value in quips like that.  He had me in stitches laughing.

I do have a mild fondness for the Boomer habit of trotting out the same anecdote about someone or something, whenever it's mentioned.  My parents do it all the time, and it's mostly adorable (even if there's the tiniest concern that it could be a sign that there might be some dementia on the way).

As Louie Gohmert said in 2012 of Romney:  "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, (Romney's) been on your side at one time or another."

I get a kick out of Gohmert, who said of Mitt Romney:  "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another."

Of Mitt Romney in 2012, Gohmert once said, "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another."

As Louie Gohmert said in the 2012 campaign:  "Whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another!".

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), who is normally a nut job, had the best quote about Mitt in 2012:  "Regardless of whether you're conservative, moderate, or liberal, he's been on your side at one time or another."

The only thing I know is what Rep. Louie Gohmert said of Mitt in 2012:  "Whether you're liberal, moderate, or conservative, he's been on your side at one time or another!".

He had the funniest line in 2012 about Mitt Romney when he said:  "If you’re not sure about whether to endorse Mitt Romney, whether you’re liberal, moderate, or conservative, you should be excited, because he’s been on your side at one time or another!”.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 01:40:56 AM »

Kate Brown is the main problem not Ted Wheeler
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 01:55:13 AM »

Pathetic trolling, which should be below the level of a member of Congress.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »

This is dumb and a waste of Congress' time. It's a testament to how awful the electorate of TX-01 is, that they keep sending this person to Congress.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 06:29:24 AM »

That I can believe.

It was kind of ironic seeing Ted Wheeler going out to give his support to the Marxist Mob, only to have the Marxist Mob demand that he quit.  Such richness is rare.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »

Political parties should only really be banned for openly advocating terrorism and/or violence. I could see an argument for banning the Democratic party actually, except said argument has not been relevant since 1865 (and even in the 1860s plenty of Democrats were in the union side, so even at that time I do not think it would have been a good thing)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 07:18:31 AM »

That I can believe.

It was kind of ironic seeing Ted Wheeler going out to give his support to the Marxist Mob, only to have the Marxist Mob demand that he quit.  Such richness is rare.

To stop all the violence we need President Biden to send in the DHS and Feds to take all the guns off the streets and from people, we'll be a lot safer that way, believe it and obey the law!
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2020, 08:31:20 AM by R.P. McM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508759-gops-gohmert-introduces-resolution-that-would-ban-the-democratic-party

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) introduced a House resolution Thursday calling on lawmakers to ban organizations or political groups that have historically supported the Confederacy or slavery in the U.S., a list he said includes the Democratic Party.

“A great portion of the history of the Democratic Party is filled with racism and hatred. Since people are demanding we rid ourselves of the entities, symbols, and reminders of the repugnant aspects of our past, then the time has come for Democrats to acknowledge their party’s loathsome and bigoted past, and consider changing their party name to something that isn’t so blatantly and offensively tied to slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination, and the Ku Klux Klan,” Gohmert said in a statement.

The resolution is co-sponsored by GOP Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Jody Hice (Ga.), Randy Weber (Texas) and Andy Harris (Md.)

While Gohmert isn't really wrong here...the fact is today's Republican Party would support Slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK without any reservations. If he wants to be thorough, he should call on Congress to ban both parties.

Or we could just ban Southerners. Since, regardless of the shifting party affiliation, they were the principal villains in every situation. They have a lot to answer for, so let's hope they stop attempting to shirk responsibility by blaming Yankees currently affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 08:45:51 AM »

Constantly trying to assume a moral high ground over something that happened 150 years ago is kind of lame. Better to look at what parties/politicians within our lifetimes. Or the last four years, for that matter.

That being said, I always found it a bit cringeworthy that the Democratic Party's official website contains this sentence under "Our History":
"For more than 200 years, our party has led the fight for civil rights, health care, Social Security, workers’ rights, and women’s rights."

It would be more honest to just flat-out admit that the Dems essentially transformed itself into an entirely different party during the time-period that stretched from William Jennings Bryan over FDR to LBJ.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies