The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX
« previous next »
Thread note
Do not repost count you think may be moderated content here.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 128
Author Topic: The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX  (Read 170826 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 08, 2021, 04:46:40 PM »

Context.

However, Hitler genuinely cared about his nation and the well-being of its people, so that's something they don't have in common.

It was intended as a swipe at Trump, but was a bit too witty for its own good and, like most attempts at comparison to Hitler, fell flat even as a joke
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1201 on: July 09, 2021, 12:57:28 AM »

Massive whitepill to see the good guys in Afghanistan win despite facing down the most powerful war machine and empire in human history.

Really something else to be openly pro-Taliban....
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1202 on: July 09, 2021, 11:53:00 AM »

The Soviet Union's getting tangled up in this morass and embarrassed internationally was one of the key events the led to its end, which probably saved countless millions of lives over the three decades since.  Whatever may have happened in Afghanistan and Pakistan since is, honestly, a small price to pay.  I'd happily trade Nepal or Mongolia becoming another Afghanistan if it meant we could break up and destroy the People's Republic of China.
Emphasis on the last sentence (I’m aware that the post is old, but it’s from a thread that got bumped recently).
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1203 on: July 09, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »

The Soviet Union's getting tangled up in this morass and embarrassed internationally was one of the key events the led to its end, which probably saved countless millions of lives over the three decades since.  Whatever may have happened in Afghanistan and Pakistan since is, honestly, a small price to pay.  I'd happily trade Nepal or Mongolia becoming another Afghanistan if it meant we could break up and destroy the People's Republic of China.
Emphasis on the last sentence (I’m aware that the post is old, but it’s from a thread that got bumped recently).

JFC he is awful.

And not very smart to boot, America is much more likely to be destroyed in that scenario than PRC.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1204 on: July 09, 2021, 10:43:52 PM »

can't believe twitter would openly cancel a hispanic person of color like that smh
"Fuentes" is a Portuguese name, not a Spanish one, so it's not Hispanic. And Portugal is a country in Europe.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1205 on: July 09, 2021, 10:57:10 PM »

can't believe twitter would openly cancel a hispanic person of color like that smh
"Fuentes" is a Portuguese name, not a Spanish one, so it's not Hispanic. And Portugal is a country in Europe.
Ignorant, sure, but is it so offensively ignorant as to belong here?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1206 on: July 09, 2021, 11:40:14 PM »

Too often this thread simply becomes a collective ridicule of a poster for expressing opinions that deserve to be actually debated but instead some here are just not ready to tolerate.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1207 on: July 10, 2021, 04:17:10 AM »

For Canada, it is pretty straight forward asides from maybe BQ

Liberals would be ALDE
Conservatives - ECR
NDP - S&D
Greens - Greens/EFA

BQ is tough one but probably best fit would be EFA.  ID while nationalistic like them is a little too far to right.

For US that is tougher by my guess is

GOP - ECR
Dems - ALDE, but perhaps EDP. 

Why wouldn't the GOP be ID and why wouldn't the Democrats be ECR?

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1208 on: July 12, 2021, 06:14:32 PM »

A year later trump is right. 

STOP THE TESTING!!!

Yet another exhibit showing Dems are in fact just as bad as Republicans--now that their side is in power, reality must be hidden from view.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1209 on: July 13, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »

I am going to visit relatives in Alabama (my mother is from Alabama) and many of them are anti-vaxxers.

Which precautions should I take?

If you're fully vaccinated, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I mean, the vaccine is not 100% effective and is less effective against certain variations (i.e. Delta).
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1210 on: July 14, 2021, 05:58:24 AM »

A year later trump is right. 

STOP THE TESTING!!!

Yet another exhibit showing Dems are in fact just as bad as Republicans--now that their side is in power, reality must be hidden from view.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1211 on: July 14, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »

I am going to visit relatives in Alabama (my mother is from Alabama) and many of them are anti-vaxxers.

Which precautions should I take?

If you're fully vaccinated, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I mean, the vaccine is not 100% effective and is less effective against certain variations (i.e. Delta).

I mean, I understand if you don’t like the focus/tone of this poster, but this post is factually correct.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1212 on: July 14, 2021, 04:13:52 PM »

I kinda believe the shadow govt is behind this, to microchip the population. There is evil in the world.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1213 on: July 15, 2021, 12:07:30 AM »

Putting aside that the post is false, this comparison is so peak Atlas:

I obviously wouldn’t go that far, but the fact that we are even considering deifying someone like George Floyd is a disturbing sign.

What is disturbing is that conservatives have such hatred and animosity towards a dead person who didn't personally harm them.

“What is disturbing is that young Jews have such hatred and animosity towards a dead person who didn’t personally harm them.”

Don’t think I have to name said dead person for you to understand how stupid of a line this is.

Not to mention, conservatives don’t “hate” George Floyd, they just don’t think he should be honored.

Hitler wanted the Jews exterminated.

And George Floyd threatened to murder a pregnant woman and her child. So let’s not pretend either were particularly good people.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1214 on: July 15, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »

I obviously wouldn’t go that far, but the fact that we are even considering deifying someone like George Floyd is a disturbing sign.

What is disturbing is that conservatives have such hatred and animosity towards a dead person who didn't personally harm them.

“What is disturbing is that young Jews have such hatred and animosity towards a dead person who didn’t personally harm them.”

Don’t think I have to name said dead person for you to understand how stupid of a line this is.

Not to mention, conservatives don’t “hate” George Floyd, they just don’t think he should be honored.

And George Floyd threatened to murder a pregnant woman and her child. So let’s not pretend either were particularly good people.

I recant the pregnant part, but the rest is true.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1215 on: July 15, 2021, 12:15:50 AM »

George Floyd never instigated a genocide, to my knowledge.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1216 on: July 15, 2021, 12:19:17 AM »

No he did not, and obviously Jews have way, way more of a reason to have animosity towards Hitler than conservatives have towards Floyd. But most conservatives don’t necessarily hate Floyd- they just think he shouldn’t be perceived as a martyr.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1217 on: July 15, 2021, 12:20:53 AM »

La bêtise durera toujours.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1218 on: July 15, 2021, 12:29:46 AM »

Here is a brief distillation of that exchange:

Argument: "Nobody should have animosity towards a dead person who didn't personally harm them."

Counterargument: "Does that mean that modern Jews shouldn't hate Hitler?"

There are only two possible responses to this counterargument: "Yes, that means Jews shouldn't hate Hitler," or "No, you're right, my reasoning wasn't very intelligent." The OP should pick one, because he is the one who painted himself into a corner with such a silly post. And please don't get mad at Reckoning for taking a bad argument to its logical conclusion. While the Hitler references are getting old, he is simply applying the same logic in another context. Saying "Buh-but it's Hitler so it's not the same!" isn't a counter to his point.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1219 on: July 15, 2021, 12:50:47 AM »

Argument: "Nobody should have animosity towards a dead person who didn't personally harm them."

There are only two possible responses to this counterargument: "Yes, that means Jews shouldn't hate Hitler," or "No, you're right, my reasoning wasn't very intelligent." The OP should pick one, because he is the one who painted himself into a corner with such a silly post. And please don't get mad at Reckoning for taking a bad argument to its logical conclusion. While the Hitler references are getting old, he is simply applying the same logic in another context. Saying "Buh-but it's Hitler so it's not the same!" isn't a counter to his point.

He compared conservatives' animosity toward George Floyd to the hatred Jews have towards Hitler. If you don't see how ridiculous this is, I cannot help you.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1220 on: July 15, 2021, 05:18:04 AM »

That ignorance regarding Spanish and the 'Hispanics' must be common in the USA, but anyway it's utterly offensive. On the other hand, "Fuentes" is also a Spanish name and it's relatively common
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1221 on: July 15, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2021, 11:19:20 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Where is Scroll even arguing that? They seem to just arguing that conservative hatred toward Floyd specifically is creepy while you can saying they claimed an absolutism on hating any dead person that the OP didn’t say or really imply
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1222 on: July 15, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »

He compared conservatives' animosity toward George Floyd to the hatred Jews have towards Hitler. If you don't see how ridiculous this is, I cannot help you.

No. He did not draw any kind of equivalence between the two. He simply took a piece of poor logic and applied it to a more extreme example so as to illustrate that it was flawed. Atlas users need to learn how analogy can be used to criticize reasoning as opposed to literally just drawing comparisons. This isn't the first time this method of argument has been willfully misunderstood by people who want to assume the worst of their ideological opponents.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1223 on: July 15, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »

aha, your claim that “it’s deeply disturbing that conservatives have developed an intense hatred toward a random guy who got murdered by cops” failed to consider literally every possible scenario — what about Hitler?? It is, therefore, not a universally applicable maxim and has been destroyed by logic.

The correct response to this kind of “counterargument” is “that’s real stupid bro.”
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1224 on: July 15, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »

aha, your claim that “it’s deeply disturbing that conservatives have developed an intense hatred toward a random guy who got murdered by cops” failed to consider literally every possible scenario — what about Hitler?? It is, therefore, not a universally applicable maxim and has been destroyed by logic.

The correct response to this kind of “counterargument” is “that’s real stupid bro.”

Huh. It never occurred to me that some people might just not care about being hypocrites.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 128  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies