Ulysses S Grant is canceled.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:52:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ulysses S Grant is canceled.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ulysses S Grant is canceled.  (Read 3038 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »

So three months ago it was unfair to demand that Sanders denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros for their stupidity and aggression.
But now we are demanding the Biden denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros.

Biden should denounce the 1619 project and make it clear the Democratic Party under his leadership will totally ignore what the NY Times is saying and will encourage other major liberal institutions to do the same until the NY Times denounces the 1619 project.

Obviously he shouldn't be expected to denounce Rose Twitter & The Bernie Brose
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »

So three months ago it was unfair to demand that Sanders denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros for their stupidity and aggression.

Biden should denounce the 1619 project and make it clear the Democratic Party under his leadership will totally ignore what the NY Times is saying and will encourage other major liberal institutions to do the same until the NY Times denounces the 1619 project.

Most people outside of the political sphere don't know what 1619 project is--giving a public denouncement by a candidate would do absolutely nothing more than give that group more fame and strength.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »

Here's the main guy getting attention on Twitter right now over this:

He's a Rose Twitter jackass.  Gee I wonder who he supported in the primary?

Seek help dude, this is getting weird

He seems to have a talent for blaming Sanders for absolutely everything that goes wrong in the world.

Bomb exploded in the Middle East? Bernie's fault.

Biden said something questionable? Bernie's fault

Climaye change? Bernie's fault

Stubbed toe getting out of bed in the morning? Bernie's fault.

It's like watching Alex Jones in a way. Only difference is that GM is more nonsensical.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »

Here's the main guy getting attention on Twitter right now over this:

He's a Rose Twitter jackass.  Gee I wonder who he supported in the primary?

It's worth reading history. His antisemitism was terrible but he apologized and I think he was sincere about it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »

Why are people posting random Tweets from unverified nobodies?

NOBODY CARES. Especially to whoever posted like 20 of them.

Mods, please delete and mute if necessary.
Escape Pod Zero
trumphacker

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »

This is taking it way too far. Ulysses S Grant quickly freed his inherited slave.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »

This is a mob of Neo-Red Guards who don't know a lick of history. The Cultural Revolution comparisons are incredibly obvious.

Grant is an underrated President who smashed the Klan and did much to push for racial equality.

But again, Biden doesn't have to denounce every idiot "decolonizer" with spray paint, all of them hate him anyways.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 10:13:02 PM »

Biden will NEVER denounce the 1619 Project. They represent the core ideology of the Democratic Party - a corporate hawkish party that favors race and gender quotas. Did you notice he spent the most of the primaries sitting back while these Deplorables made race attacks on Sanders?

As for the Bernie Bros meme do some light reading:

https://i.imgur.com/xW633lv.png

https://i.imgur.com/bfSlo1F.png

https://i.imgur.com/6oXWbr5.png

https://i.imgur.com/5i35Eyp.png

https://i.imgur.com/KjmRAHo.png

https://i.imgur.com/F3blvOe.png

https://i.imgur.com/r2MRFXE.png

https://i.imgur.com/7WxQqA4.png

https://i.imgur.com/gG3qSSM.png

https://i.imgur.com/uucR2jv.png

https://i.imgur.com/VsM5bG9.png

https://i.imgur.com/eW7S8MK.png

https://i.imgur.com/e8aFdrr.png

https://i.imgur.com/BzByOM4.png

https://i.imgur.com/URJeBj1.png

https://i.imgur.com/gpE3IO3.png

https://i.imgur.com/pEktSPY.png

https://i.imgur.com/xF014lm.png
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »

It seems the vigilantes tearing down statues are extreme not only in their politics, but also in their stupidity. It was bad enough when they did it to Jefferson, but this is just dumb. U.S. Grant was instrumental to the Union winning the war against the Confederate slavers. But for some reason he gets cancelled too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »

It seems the vigilantes tearing down statues are extreme not only in their politics, but also in their stupidity. It was bad enough when they did it to Jefferson, but this is just dumb. U.S. Grant was instrumental to the Union winning the war against the Confederate slavers. But for some reason he gets cancelled too.
These people cannot be reasoned with, argued with in productive manner, or expected to behave rationally. They are stupid fanatics, they ought to be treated as such. Society ought not to frown upon them failing in their quest.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »

These people are S-T-U-P-I-D, and you're kind of stupid if you're feeling a need to defend them.
UkrainianRepublican
Mr.Marat
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 12:17:45 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 12:29:32 AM by UkrainianRepublican »

Are they nuts? Grant is literally the second best Republican  after Abe, with Reagan and Ike following distant third and fourth

Grant had just one slave, which  he got from a father of his wife, whom he freed as soon as it was possible, hired him back as laborer  to pay him as much as people usually paid to a white workers. He worked with aforementioned slave on the field

Grant was a radical Republican  since the party's foundation in 1856, supported Lincoln, got a numerous praises from Frederick Douglass, was a proponent of Radical Reconstruction,  almost resigned because he broke with Andrew Johnson.

When he became. POTUS, he quickly began fixing mistakes made by Johnson, actually reinforcing  a effective Reconstruction. During his tenure 15th amendment was added to Constitution, giving the right to afro-Americans to vote. He squashed  first incarnation  of KKK, which appeared again only after Woodrow Wilson  got into power
During the Grant Presidency, first Black rep. was elected to the HoR

Grant was anything,  but he wasn't  racist. He saved the Union  on the battlefield,  and tried to secure future of black population in the US.

Tearing down his  statues is showing your blatant disrespect to a history books and being ignorant idiot

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 12:28:54 AM »

Are they nuts? Grant is literally the second best Republican  after Abe, with Reagan and Ike following distant third and fourth

"They" is like 4-5 ignorant kids.

Why are we spending all these pages talking about them and trying to educate them?  99.99% of Americans disagree with the notion that U.S. Grant should be cancelled for being a slave owner.  All this "history lesson" stuff is just preaching to the choir.

I can't wait until some idiot Berkeley anarchist boy gets the idea to go tear down a statue of Abraham Lincoln, then brag about it on TikTok because "Abraham Lincoln wanted to kick all the black people out of America."  We're gonna have everyone in the media spending days going "ackshually Lincoln was good" and endlessly litigating the details of Lincoln's Liberia idea.  And then we'll have a big ole thread on Atlas full of blue avatars going "the left has lost its mind now they are tearing down statues of Lincoln."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 12:42:35 AM »

Why are we spending all these pages talking about them and trying to educate them?  99.99% of Americans disagree with the notion that U.S. Grant should be cancelled for being a slave owner.  All this "history lesson" stuff is just preaching to the choir.

I can't wait until some idiot Berkeley anarchist boy gets the idea to go tear down a statue of Abraham Lincoln, then brag about it on TikTok because "Abraham Lincoln wanted to kick all the black people out of America."  We're gonna have everyone in the media spending days going "ackshually Lincoln was good" and endlessly litigating the details of Lincoln's Liberia idea.  And then we'll have a big ole thread on Atlas full of blue avatars going "the left has lost its mind now they are tearing down statues of Lincoln."

It’s not 4-5 ignorant kids it’s a coordinated effort to demonize our history by cultural communists and The NY Times has helped legitimatize these people too
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »

It’s not 4-5 ignorant kids it’s a coordinated effort to demonize our history by cultural communists and The NY Times has helped legitimatize these people too

As someone who is on the left, I promise you it is not a coordinated effort.

Here's what happens:
1: Some people in Mississippi pull down a statue of Jefferson Davis stepping on a black man's throat while doing a sieg heil.
2: A video is posted online showing the teardown and subsequent celebrations.  It goes viral and receives a lot of positive attention because seriously, why is that statue a thing.
3: NYT columnists use it as fodder for boring thinkpieces about "by tearing down this statue are we losing our history?"
4: A couple of white kids in Berkeley who want to be internet famous see all this attention and say "hey, we can do that too!"
5: Problem is, there are no confederate memorial statues for the Berkeley kids to tear down.  So instead they find a statue of Anne Frank, tear it down, justify it with some lame excuse about her being "problematic", and post it on the internet expecting to get praise.
6: Everyone on the internet, including their close friends and family, says "you're a f***ing idiot, don't tear down Anne Frank statues."
7: The video goes viral because everyone loves to dunk on these stupid kids who hate Anne Frank.
8: Some NYT columnist sees the opportunity for clickbait.  Article title "Is Anne Frank Problematic?", article content "No."  OSR is MASSIVELY triggered by the existence of this article.
9: Fox News: "Leftist mobs tear down statue of Anne Frank.  Will Joe Biden and the radical left stop at nothing to destroy our history?"
10: Trump:  WE WILL NEVER BOW TO THE LEFTIST MOB
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

Anyway, Grant is actually one of my favorite presidents, but I still understand people toppling statues of him. Statues aren't useful for telling or sharing history. Their destruction or removal is irrelevant to whether or not people learn about these figures. This isn't erasing history. It's removing an image that causes some people pain/frustration/anger when seeing it, and I'm okay with that. That means they know about the reality of history. Grant did good things and bad things. Lincoln did, too. He's a hero to African Americans but a villian to Native Americans. We need to learn about all these aspects, and statues don't encourage any in-depth education.

I'm sort of perplexed by this stance. It seems to boil down to "if a group has decided that it is angry at something, or if it at least looks like their actions are ideological, they have public leave to do whatever they wish to public property." Who's to say that the small percentage of city residents that decided to go out on a particular night have the right to make those decisions? I know the fate of statues is probably not of great moral significance in and of itself, but at the very least it is vandalism of public property, and carries with it the ideological decision to reject the person or group the statue represents. Those are decisions for publics, not mobs.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 01:10:34 PM »

Anyway, Grant is actually one of my favorite presidents, but I still understand people toppling statues of him. Statues aren't useful for telling or sharing history. Their destruction or removal is irrelevant to whether or not people learn about these figures. This isn't erasing history. It's removing an image that causes some people pain/frustration/anger when seeing it, and I'm okay with that. That means they know about the reality of history. Grant did good things and bad things. Lincoln did, too. He's a hero to African Americans but a villian to Native Americans. We need to learn about all these aspects, and statues don't encourage any in-depth education.

I'm sort of perplexed by this stance. It seems to boil down to "if a group has decided that it is angry at something, or if it at least looks like their actions are ideological, they have public leave to do whatever they wish to public property." Who's to say that the small percentage of city residents that decided to go out on a particular night have the right to make those decisions? I know the fate of statues is probably not of great moral significance in and of itself, but at the very least it is vandalism of public property, and carries with it the ideological decision to reject the person or group the statue represents. Those are decisions for publics, not mobs.

Correct.  There's a Jimi Hendrix statue a few blocks from my house that's one of the big Seattle landmarks.  Suppose I'm a religious straight-edge and feel that the worship of Hendrix gives a thumbs up to a lifestyle of drugs, alcohol and violence.  It is neither right nor just for me to destroy that statue, that is in public for everyone to enjoy, because of my own personal feelings.

The correct course of action would be to begin a local political movement to convince people that this statue is, in fact, doing harm, and should be removed.  If I can get a majority to agree with me, it will be removed, as we've seen with a great many confederate statues.

Then I would find out the hard way that 98% of Seattle does not, in fact, want to cancel Jimi Hendrix.  Just like this kid would have found out that most Americans do not want to cancel Ulysses S. Grant.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »

Um no. It was a couple of morons who are extremely unlikely to vote for Biden and who probably don't even know who Grant was.

It's ridiculous to suggest that Grant is part of some left-wing cancelation conspiracy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »

Horseshoe theory at work, when Lost Cause and the left find their way back to each other.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 11:48:26 PM »

As someone who is on the left, I promise you it is not a coordinated effort.

Here's what happens:
1: Some people in Mississippi pull down a statue of Jefferson Davis stepping on a black man's throat while doing a sieg heil.
2: A video is posted online showing the teardown and subsequent celebrations.  It goes viral and receives a lot of positive attention because seriously, why is that statue a thing.
3: NYT columnists use it as fodder for boring thinkpieces about "by tearing down this statue are we losing our history?"
4: A couple of white kids in Berkeley who want to be internet famous see all this attention and say "hey, we can do that too!"
5: Problem is, there are no confederate memorial statues for the Berkeley kids to tear down.  So instead they find a statue of Anne Frank, tear it down, justify it with some lame excuse about her being "problematic", and post it on the internet expecting to get praise.
6: Everyone on the internet, including their close friends and family, says "you're a f***ing idiot, don't tear down Anne Frank statues."
7: The video goes viral because everyone loves to dunk on these stupid kids who hate Anne Frank.
8: Some NYT columnist sees the opportunity for clickbait.  Article title "Is Anne Frank Problematic?", article content "No."  OSR is MASSIVELY triggered by the existence of this article.
9: Fox News: "Leftist mobs tear down statue of Anne Frank.  Will Joe Biden and the radical left stop at nothing to destroy our history?"
10: Trump:  WE WILL NEVER BOW TO THE LEFTIST MOB

My God that was an incredibly accurate post.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »

tbh Biden is probably best not touching this issue with a barge pole
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 05:32:30 PM »

It's almost as if they're just running around creating random destruction and there's no rational reason for any of it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies