Ulysses S Grant is canceled.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:43:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ulysses S Grant is canceled.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ulysses S Grant is canceled.  (Read 3056 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2020, 05:38:16 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/20/san-francisco-statues-ulysses-s-grant-junipero-serra-francis-scott-key

This is getting out of hand.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »

There's already a thread for this.

Yes, this is getting out of hand, "big league".
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »

San Francisco has been out of hand for decades.  Just like my beloved Seattle, it's a city with a lot of really stupid people, and some of the extremists are so unbelievably dumb that they make national news with their antics.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »

F***** these morons trying to tear down our history

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 05:59:06 PM by Wells »

Reminds me of the Cultural Revolution. I've been worrying that these people are more anti-history than anti-Confederate since Gandhi became a target, but this is definite confirmation.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »

Grant is literally a Union general, I'm unsure what we gain from removing these statues, but of course, the usual suspects will use this to argue that "We MuSt KeEp AlL StAtUeS" and "TaLkInG AbOuT UnCoMfOrTaBlE PaRtS oF HiStOrY Is BaD." Of course, this is bad, but we need to remember that the actions of a few crazy individuals, shouldn't distract us from the goal of removing the bad statues. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if these were extremist agitators trying to undermine the goal of removing the statues of Confederates by choosing to remove statues that would lead to public blowback and thus try to kill the statue removal movement.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 07:23:57 PM by Cashew »

Democrats and BLM need to disavow, and by disavow I mean actually condemm them rather than all the attempts at mimization and deflection I see on twitter. Refuse to ostracize the extremists and they will be emboldened and drag you all down with them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »

God, I hate the term "canceled." Can we go back to using it literally in reference to an event or form of media, please? It's now apparently yet another nebulous term that the internet rendered into an oblivion of meaninglessness.

Anyway, he's still on the $50, I don't really care.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 06:14:16 PM »

San Francisco has been out of hand for decades.  Just like my beloved Seattle, it's a city with a lot of really stupid people, and some of the extremists are so unbelievably dumb that they make national news with their antics.
Dianne Feinstein had a confederate flag at city hall in the 80s as mayor.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »

Democrats and BLM need to disavow, and by diavow I mean actually condemm them rather than all the attempts at mimization and deflection I see on twitter. Refuse to ostracize the extremists and they will be emboldened and drag you all down with them.

Why do the Democrats and BLM need to disavow?  This has nothing to do with Democrats/BLM.  This is just some random idiots.

This isn't like the Bernie Bros where they are doing crazy things in Bernie's name to help Bernie and being encouraged by members of the Sanders campaign.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 06:21:23 PM »

San Francisco should start by cancelling Dianne Feinstein.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 06:26:47 PM »

These youngsters dont have schools or bars or sports to keep them occupied. These protests were proved by Stephen Jackson whom is friends with LEBRON JAMES whom doesnt like the fact his basketball and other sports were taken away.

We are supposed to be social distancing and these protestors are going too far and they are doing it in the heat
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »

From what I heard the group that took down the Grant statue had to be talked out of vandalising an AIDS memorial. This looks more like a case of people with a vandalism boner taking down a statue for the thrill of taking down a statue, without caring (or possibly even knowing) who it depicted, as opposed to anyone with loyalty to any sort of actual cause.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »

From what I heard the group that took down the Grant statue had to be talked out of vandalising an AIDS memorial. This looks more like a case of people with a vandalism boner taking down a statue for the thrill of taking down a statue, without caring (or possibly even knowing) who it depicted, as opposed to anyone with loyalty to any sort of actual cause.

The fact they were able to not vandalize the AIDS memorial shows there was some people that knew what was happening and didn't explain it.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »

The fact they were able to not vandalize the AIDS memorial shows there was some people that knew what was happening and didn't explain it.

The AIDS memorial doesn't look like a person. If you're an angry guy looking to stick it to the man, you're going to prefer symbols that look humanoid.
LBJer
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 10:08:43 PM »

And Nancy Pelosi was absolutely moronic to remove paintings of Speakers of the House who also fought for the Confederacy.  One of those removed, James Lawrence Orr, was actually appointed by Grant to serve as his minister to Russia!  I find it bizarre that the man who, as a general, did more than any other general to secure a Union victory and who, as president, worked to protect African American rights and crush the KKK, was much more tolerant of Confederates than the person who's speaker 155 years after the war ended.  Bizarre!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 10:16:27 PM »

Grant was probably the least racist president until who, TR? Truman?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »

you guys created it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 10:53:27 PM »

Grant was probably the least racist president until who, TR? Truman?
TR was extremely and notoriously racist.

The answer is actually almost certainly Warren Harding.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 11:46:15 PM »

Grant at least tried to be decent. He apologized for his antisemitism during the war and worked hard to make up for it. My understanding is that the Jewish community at the time accepted his apology and appreciated his willingness to work with them.

His comments about Mexicans during the Mexican war were... Very imperialistic. However, he had just gotten out of West Point and his sentiments basically echoed those of the people he was around. Still, during his administration, he also had imperialistic designs on a Caribbean nation (whose name is escaping me at the moment), somewhat tied into white saviorism combined with it being a possibility as a place for freed slaves to go and build their own community. That said, he seemed to be less into the "send blacks somewhere else to be their own nation" than Lincoln was.

He also was really awful at dealing with Indigenous Americans. The Black Hills were supposed to be left to the Native Americans, but Americans went in anyway and found gold, so settlers shoved their way in and Grant could have done a lot more about it. And then, of course, the Sioux Wars. I don't know how Native folks feel about Grant, honestly, but I grew up in an area steeped in the history of those fights. I do know many absolutely hate Lincoln, as he sentenced 38 Dakota men to death.

Anyway, Grant is actually one of my favorite presidents, but I still understand people toppling statues of him. Statues aren't useful for telling or sharing history. Their destruction or removal is irrelevant to whether or not people learn about these figures. This isn't erasing history. It's removing an image that causes some people pain/frustration/anger when seeing it, and I'm okay with that. That means they know about the reality of history. Grant did good things and bad things. Lincoln did, too. He's a hero to African Americans but a villian to Native Americans. We need to learn about all these aspects, and statues don't encourage any in-depth education.

The only type of monument I would be upset about being destroyed is one still used by living people to mourn lost family members, such as WWI-current memorials. I was and am a bit uncomfortable with removing Confederate memorials that were lists of names with no other stuff to be propaganda. Obviously if it's glorifying "the lost cause," that's different. But something for people to look back on lost ancestors, that doesn't need to go anywhere as long as there's not anything else.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 11:56:18 PM »

Not only that, how many of their parents voted for Prez Reagan and Confederate flag raising Dukes of Hazzard in Orange Cpunty. They wont remove any Reagan symbols in California.  Feinstein at least was MC at the Obama 2008 Inauguration
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 02:42:12 AM »

San Francisco has been out of hand for decades.  Just like my beloved Seattle, it's a city with a lot of really stupid people, and some of the extremists are so unbelievably dumb that they make national news with their antics.

Here's someone tearing it down. But he's wearing a union army uniform, which shows he might be a follower of the dreaded Ulysses Grant.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 03:38:41 AM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »

Here's the main guy getting attention on Twitter right now over this:

He's a Rose Twitter jackass.  Gee I wonder who he supported in the primary?

So three months ago it was unfair to demand that Sanders denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros for their stupidity and aggression.
But now we are demanding the Biden denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »

So three months ago it was unfair to demand that Sanders denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros for their stupidity and aggression.
But now we are demanding the Biden denounce Rose Twitter & the Bernie Bros.

Yes MacArthur, because three months ago the only thing they'd done was be meanies on Twitter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies