Without knowing the partisanship of these districts, do you deem this NC map fair? (14 districts)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Without knowing the partisanship of these districts, do you deem this NC map fair? (14 districts)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Without knowing the partisanship of these districts, do you deem this NC map fair? (14 districts)
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Without knowing the partisanship of these districts, do you deem this NC map fair? (14 districts)  (Read 1878 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »

The overwhelming consensus on the last thread was that this should be redone with 14 districts, so here y'all go.

I'm setting this poll to run for one day. I drew this map with 2018 pop data, no partisan results. Tomorrow, I'll go back and redraw the districts, and report back the results:

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »

No its not.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »

I have no obvious quibbles with this map. It is a marked improvement over the previous one.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:41 PM »

Ok, why? What would you change?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 08:03:00 PM »

I have no obvious quibbles with this map. It is a marked improvement over the previous one.

Thanks! I tried to put everything mentioned last time in.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 08:03:16 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 08:06:57 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

My guess is that the two Wake seats, the NE NC seat, Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Charlotte are all fairly safe D seats and/or are D-leaning. That makes 6/14, which is reasonable in NC. I voted yes in the poll. The most "fair" arrangement is 6D 7R 1Swing, and this isn't perfectly reflective of that, but its close enough for me to give it a yes vote.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »

"The map failed to load. It may be temporarily or permanently unavailable."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 08:08:31 PM »

Clean up the Lumbee, you split it,
Despite them being too small to likely influence the primary itself they still should be kept together so they can influence the general election itself as they are very elastic swing voters in a swing area giving them a solid chance of choosing their own representative
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:08:59 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 08:14:05 PM by Nyvin »

The map gets a lot easier with 14 districts actually.  

https://davesredistricting.org/join/1daa5814-bfa4-4b55-b77b-6f3f3c9825e8

In the short term in this map Dems would probably be limited to 5-6 seats,  but 8, 11, and 14 could trend D enough by the end of the decade to flip them.  
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/d433094c-770d-4b75-9e4a-671614e65893

my fair map
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »

Despite them being too small to likely influence the primary itself they still should be kept together so they can influence the general election itself as they are very elastic swing voters in a swing area giving them a solid chance of choosing their own representative

Got it. Where should I put the cut instead then?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »

In the short term in this map Dems would probably be limited to 5 seats,  but 8, 11, and 14 could trend D enough by the end of the decade to flip them.   

This is a solid map.

Why did you draw this with 2010 data? Why did you split Wake County in half? This is a pretty clear D gerrymander.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 08:15:25 PM »

This is a good suggestion imo.
Place all of Robeson in the Fayetteville CD and then compensate the Bladen CD with Wayne and parts of Johnston if necessary, and then compensate by giving the Lee CD the rest of Harnett and all of Moore and parts of Cumberland if necessary.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 08:16:07 PM »

That olive colored district is gross. Mostly fine otherwise.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »

In the short term in this map Dems would probably be limited to 5 seats,  but 8, 11, and 14 could trend D enough by the end of the decade to flip them.   

This is a solid map.

Why did you draw this with 2010 data? Why did you split Wake County in half? This is a pretty clear D gerrymander.

I didn't make it with 2010 data. On my end, it shows 2018. Also, Wake County has to be split, so what is the problem. This map is a 7-7 map.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »

Place all of Robeson in the Fayetteville CD and then compensate the Bladen CD with Wayne and parts of Johnston if necessary, and then compensate by giving the Lee CD the rest of Harnett and all of Moore and parts of Cumberland if necessary.

Like this?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »

Like this?
Yeah.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »

This is a solid map.

I didn't make it with 2010 data. On my end, it shows 2018. Also, Wake County has to be split, so what is the problem. This map is a 7-7 map.

Because the way you split it is a gerrymander. Wake County should have 1 100% Wake district, and 1 that takes up the rest. Instead, you split the county perfectly in half, so Wake County doesn't get it's own district and you gerrymander a second district D. It's basically the equivalent of splitting Milwaukee.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »

Actually I like a lot about this map

If putting Harnett in with the Wilmington district is okay - It's possible to make a Clinton seat in the Sandhills.

This would probably start out 8R-6D,  and trend to 8D-6R sometime this decade.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »

Like this?
Yeah.

Oops, sorry, just realized the picture didn't come through!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »

Like this?
Yeah.

It was no problem, I just copied the link and got to it in another tab.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »

Like this?
Yeah.

It was no problem, I just copied the link and got to it in another tab.

Ah, got it!
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/d433094c-770d-4b75-9e4a-671614e65893

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 08:28:35 PM »

That's better than your other one. My main quibbles are:
1. The Triangle--I think a different alignment of districts here is preferable. It's better IMO to have a Raleigh suburban+Johnston/Raleigh/Durham+Chapel Hill+Chatham etc. alignment than that Wayne to Alamance thing.
2. The 8th should include all of Robeson. You can then push the 7th north and then whatever district you have in that area into Moore or Harnett or wherever needs population.
3. There's a way to draw the 11th district in whole counties, which includes all that you have plus Watauga and minus McDowell. Alternatively you can do a more CoI focused district which withdraws from the High Country and takes in all of the Asheville area counties. But your map doesn't really serve either ideal perfectly.
4.You split Winston-Salem I believe.
5. Gaston County if possible should be reunited with the other portions of the Charlotte metro not in the 9th or 12th.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 08:29:54 PM »

This is a solid map.

Because the way you split it is a gerrymander. Wake County should have 1 100% Wake district, and 1 that takes up the rest. Instead, you split the county perfectly in half, so Wake County doesn't get it's own district and you gerrymander a second district D. It's basically the equivalent of splitting Milwaukee.

Who says that Wake has to have 1 100% district? Also, the second district you say is a D one is almost an even district.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies