Top Ten Most Conservative Colleges/Universities in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 10:16:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Top Ten Most Conservative Colleges/Universities in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Top Ten Most Conservative Colleges/Universities in America  (Read 20465 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:21:49 PM »

Thought I'd include this as a public service -I will add the liberal equivalent in due time....

1. Hillsdale College (Hillsdale, Michigan)

Hillsdale's politically engaged students "mostly possess fairly conservative values, and there's even a good deal of libertarians." Adds one student, "They can be a bit dogmatic sometimes." According to the student body, "the largest organizations on campus are College Republicans and Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, followed closely by Praxis (an economics club) and Fairfield Society (a Christian organization)."

Students who considered Hillsdale also looked at Albion College, Calvin College, Hope College, and Kalamazoo College.

2. Grove City College (Grove City, Pennsylvania)

In general, most undergrads at Grove City College are "white, suburban, Christian Republicans." These kids are the ones "who would ask, 'What are hallucinogens?'" one student explains. A prominent group comprises "the normal, Nalgene bottle-carrying, Christian summer camp-working, service-oriented students."

Students who considered Grove City also looked at Geneva College, Juniata College, Lehigh University, and Messiah College.

3. Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah)

From the student body to the "stringent" honor code (which regulates not only academic behavior but also dress, hair length, diet, and sexual activity) to the heavy religious-studies requirement, BYU serves the needs of America's Mormon community first and foremost. Students describe each other as "upstanding" and "extremely friendly"; some, however, warn that "the nonconformist will find a dull social life with difficulty finding someone that will be their friend, regardless of who they are or what they believe."

Students who considered BYU also looked at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, Dartmouth College, Harvard College, and Pepperdine University.

4. United States Air Force Academy (US Air Force Academy, Colorado)

The "straightforward, open-minded, goal-oriented individuals" who populate the USAFA "are teammates. We'd help each other out of trouble in a second. We're that close." Explains one student, "Due to the military stresses placed on them in the first year, they make great friends much quicker than I would imagine civilian students would in their freshman year." Many cadets reported that "attitudes here have become more serious since September 11. There is a sense of purpose and drive, and a clear goal" shared by all.

Students who considered the USAFA also looked at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States Naval Academy, University of Colorado-Boulder, and Yale University.

5. Hampden-Sydney College (Hampden-Sydney, Virginia)

The students of Virginia's all-male Hampden-Sydney College, founded in 1775, continue the Old South's traditions. For the right type of student--namely, one comfortable in such an arguably archaic atmosphere--H-SC is a slice of southern heaven on Earth. Students are overwhelmingly "Christian in their beliefs" and generally quite conservative; warns one, "Only one group is isolated by the students: homosexuals. Not a good school for gay men at all."

Students who considered Hampden-Sydney also looked at Furman University, James Madison University, Randolph-Macon College, and University of Richmond.

6. College of the Ozarks (Point Lookout, Missouri)

The "mostly conservative" students of College of the Ozarks pride themselves on their "outstanding moral values" (which lead at least a few to observe that "some here are really 'holier than thou'"). Students agree that their classmates are both affable and genuinely accommodating; writes one, "People who visit here comment on how friendly and helpful we are."  Although they hail from far and wide, most have roots in rural America.

Students who considered Ozarks also looked at Baylor University, DePaul University, Samford University, and Southwest Missouri State University.

7. United States Naval Academy (Annapolis, Maryland)

Future naval and marine officers at the USNA quickly find that amid this "type A," "moral, intelligent," "goal-oriented," and "aloof" student body, "liberal opinions are hard to find." One student observes a split between "those who buy into the indoctrination system and those who rebel." A common refrain is that the academy is "a good place to be from but not to be at." But others state that the atmosphere can be "wonderful and challenging."

Students who considered USNA also looked at Duke University, The Citadel, United States Military Academy, and Virginia Military Institute.

8. University of Dallas (Irving, Texas)

Most strikingly, UD students are "strongly, almost eccentrically, grounded in orthodox Catholic principles." More than one respondent to our survey offers "sheltered, conservative, middle-class, and white" as appropriate adjectives to describe the undergraduate population. " Those who do differ from this norm report some friction: "I'm a pretty liberal Democrat and would support issues like abortion and gay rights, for example, and most people here are appalled by that."

Students who considered UD also looked at Austin College, Baylor University, Saint Louis University, and Texas Christian University.

9. Wheaton College (Wheaton, Illinois)

Book learning means nothing at Wheaton without a Christian basis, and many students comment favorably on the "integration of academic challenges and moral principles" at their school. "It's not that I'm simply studying and earning grades. I am able to grow as a person and a student," writes a first-year undergraduate. The majority of students at Wheaton seem to support the strict rules that govern campus life, concurring that they eliminate "negative peer pressure."

Students who considered Wheaton also looked at Baylor University, Davidson College, Grove City College, and Taylor University.

10. United States Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point, New York)

Respondents agree that "most students have similar political views," which translates to "no hippies." "The typical USMMA student is reported to be a white male between the ages of 18 and 22; only about 100 women attend the Academy. Everyone becomes 'typical' by necessity because of the regimentation of the school."

Students who considered USMMA also looked at SUNY Maritime College, United States Coast Guard Academy, Virginia Military Institute, and Virginia Tech.

Source

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:28:23 PM »

Bob Jones?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:46:58 PM »

More accurate than the liberal list, but that's not saying much, and the simple exclusion of Bob Jones makes it unreliable. Also lacking Texas A & M.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »

More accurate than the liberal list, but that's not saying much, and the simple exclusion of Bob Jones makes it unreliable. Also lacking Texas A & M.

Naw, Texas A&M can't be that conservative since they are one of the few southern research universities with any sort of ranking.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 08:02:03 PM »

Uh, Hillsdale College voted Bush with around 60 percent of the vote and ranks first, while Brigham Young voted Bush with over 90 percent and is third?  Gee.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »

It must be impossible to get laid at any of these colleges.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »

It must be impossible to get laid at any of these colleges.

But if you do, you get to be a father.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »

Texas A&M as a whole, leans center-right among its student population.  Its professors are center-left.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 10:28:08 PM »

Texas A&M as a whole, leans center-right among its student population.  Its professors are center-left.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any public colleges and universities where the majority of the professors are center-right?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 10:47:20 PM »

Out of curiosity, do you know of any public colleges and universities where the majority of the professors are center-right?

Conservatives are generally not as attracted to professions in academia.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »

There might be some universities in the South and the Mormon triangle... but not for sure.

But outside of 'conservative' areas you'd be hardpressed to find center-right professors.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 12:46:47 AM »

There might be some universities in the South and the Mormon triangle... but not for sure.

But outside of 'conservative' areas you'd be hardpressed to find center-right professors.

Do I count? If so, you needn't be hardpressed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 01:51:47 AM »

Not any university worth sh**t.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 12:09:56 PM »

Where the hell is Liberty University on this list?  I would think that a school run by Jerry Falwell would make the top ten, if not the top five.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:23:22 PM »

My dad wants me to go to Grove City.  The only reason I don't want to is that they require you to go to church x amount of times a semester. 

Rin-chan
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »

My dad wants me to go to Grove City.  The only reason I don't want to is that they require you to go to church x amount of times a semester. 

Rin-chan

A university that requires you to go to church?

Okay, that's kind of weird.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »

Rin-chan

I know, isn't it?  They don't accept any federal funding at all, are really competitive, and they require church hours.  And one of my dad's friends went there.

That's all I really know.

Rin-chan
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »

I know, isn't it?  They don't accept any federal funding at all, are really competitive, and they require church hours.  And one of my dad's friends went there.

Rin-chan

How do you prove you went to church the required amount?
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »

Rin-chan

How do you prove you went to church the required amount?

I don't know...  Maybe you have to sign in or slide your ID card through one of those machines.

It's just a stupid idea overall, if you ask me.

Rin-chan
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 08:39:01 PM »

Very few. 

I guess, in terms of the whole scheme of things, that Texas A&M is a conservative university compared to most universities in this country, whatever that means.  Professors are also more conservative than those typically fond in other universities.

I really only responded to this thread because of the comment about Texas A&M and that I have also know many people who have gone to the university and taught there.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »

Bob Jones and Liberty are not real Universities though they are essentially madrassas.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 10:38:55 PM »

Rin-chan

Not as weird as you think, just no longer common. At my alma mater, Carleton, I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of alums from the 1940's and 1950's. They talk about required weekly chapel, and they describe it in a way that makes me think it was quite common back then.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 12:12:51 AM »

Rin-chan

Not as weird as you think, just no longer common. At my alma mater, Carleton, I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of alums from the 1940's and 1950's. They talk about required weekly chapel, and they describe it in a way that makes me think it was quite common back then.

Well, okay, kind of weird based on what I know of the general norms in universities today.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »

BUMP

Has anyone chosen any of the colleges on this list?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »

4. United States Air Force Academy (US Air Force Academy, Colorado)

The "straightforward, open-minded, goal-oriented individuals" who populate the USAFA "are teammates. We'd help each other out of trouble in a second. We're that close." Explains one student, "Due to the military stresses placed on them in the first year, they make great friends much quicker than I would imagine civilian students would in their freshman year." Many cadets reported that "attitudes here have become more serious since September 11. There is a sense of purpose and drive, and a clear goal" shared by all.

Students who considered the USAFA also looked at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States Naval Academy, University of Colorado-Boulder, and Yale University.

7. United States Naval Academy (Annapolis, Maryland)

Future naval and marine officers at the USNA quickly find that amid this "type A," "moral, intelligent," "goal-oriented," and "aloof" student body, "liberal opinions are hard to find." One student observes a split between "those who buy into the indoctrination system and those who rebel." A common refrain is that the academy is "a good place to be from but not to be at." But others state that the atmosphere can be "wonderful and challenging."

Students who considered USNA also looked at Duke University, The Citadel, United States Military Academy, and Virginia Military Institute.

10. United States Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point, New York)

Respondents agree that "most students have similar political views," which translates to "no hippies." "The typical USMMA student is reported to be a white male between the ages of 18 and 22; only about 100 women attend the Academy. Everyone becomes 'typical' by necessity because of the regimentation of the school."

Students who considered USMMA also looked at SUNY Maritime College, United States Coast Guard Academy, Virginia Military Institute, and Virginia Tech.

Source

You betcha baby!  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies