2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:22:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64916 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: June 03, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »

Small businesses going bankrupt is an unfortunate result of the riots but one point I would make is most of these businesses that are being looted happen in be in areas that vote heavily democratic, many of these businesses are owned by people from ethnic groups that vote democratic, and many of these business owners no doubt vote for the democratic party which is the party whose mayors preside over the failure to control the riots and whose elected officials by and large are pro protest and anti police.

So to some extent these business owners brought this upon themselves by voting the way they vote, but nonetheless they should be assisted somewhat financially speaking to recover.  
I don't know whether to take this comment seriously or not? But with all due respect that's just Bullsh!t! The Democrats didn't cause covid19, they didn't kill George Floyd and the riots are being conducted by some lawless thugs.

These riots are taking place mainly in cities run by democrats, it is the failure of officials in the Democratic Party to control the riots which is obvious, I don’t see how anyone could dispute that point. Furthermore it is liberals who vote democratic, journalists etc  who have been making excuses and trying to provide cover for the riots. The people who are rioting themselves are obviously democratic supporters, demographically they are mostly young white leftists and poor African Americans, 2 groups that vote democratic.

As for the murder of George Floyd, it was a tragedy but the claim black men are targeted by police which is what protesters are claiming is nonsense. Only 23% of people shot dead by police in recent years have been black despite blacks committing 53% of all homicides and 60% of robberies in 2018. Furthermore, a police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is by the police. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

The whole idea the police kill black men at higher rates relative to the crime they commit is nonsense, if anything the police kill fewer blacks relative to the amount of crime they are committing relative to other races.

Oh great. Another one.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #976 on: June 03, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »

This is going a ways down the road of treating protesters the same way the Chinese mainland government does.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #977 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 08:46:16 AM by 10 minutes into Lysol, Tidepod, and chill.. »

Small businesses going bankrupt is an unfortunate result of the riots but one point I would make is most of these businesses that are being looted happen in be in areas that vote heavily democratic, many of these businesses are owned by people from ethnic groups that vote democratic, and many of these business owners no doubt vote for the democratic party which is the party whose mayors preside over the failure to control the riots and whose elected officials by and large are pro protest and anti police.

So to some extent these business owners brought this upon themselves by voting the way they vote, but nonetheless they should be assisted somewhat financially speaking to recover.  
I don't know whether to take this comment seriously or not? But with all due respect that's just Bullsh!t! The Democrats didn't cause covid19, they didn't kill George Floyd and the riots are being conducted by some lawless thugs.

These riots are taking place mainly in cities run by democrats, it is the failure of officials in the Democratic Party to control the riots which is obvious, I don’t see how anyone could dispute that point. Furthermore it is liberals who vote democratic, journalists etc  who have been making excuses and trying to provide cover for the riots. The people who are rioting themselves are obviously democratic supporters, demographically they are mostly young white leftists and poor African Americans, 2 groups that vote democratic.

As for the murder of George Floyd, it was a tragedy but the claim black men are targeted by police which is what protesters are claiming is nonsense. Only 23% of people shot dead by police in recent years have been black despite blacks committing 53% of all homicides and 60% of robberies in 2018. Furthermore, a police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is by the police.  

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

The whole idea the police kill black men at higher rates relative to the crime they commit is nonsense, if anything the police kill fewer blacks relative to the amount of crime they are committing relative to other races.

Everyone: racism is a problem.
Racists: No it isn't. *jingles keys*
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #978 on: June 03, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »

I support the protesters and all, but does anyone else find this to be actual insanity after they have been barking at anyone who’s came within 2 meters of another person for the last 3 months?

Believe science. Listen to experts. Smiley Smiley Smiley
It's an awful situation. It's a tough decision to make between your short-term an long-term welfare.

I agree.

People should play a conversation in their head with a black person (or if you are a masochist, a white liberal) where you tell them not to protest because of COVID concerns. It's very difficult, mostly because it's hard not to give the impression that you don't think of police violence as a serious issue.

Now, state/local governments and public health experts are supposed to have these difficult conversations. It's a necessary part of their duty and their public authority. But, this sort of leadership is made much harder for them by the fact that they represent bodies earning low trust from black audiences. Public health experts have very few black people among their ranks and science in general is a field with a tragic history of upholding racism. State and local governments have a myriad of reasons for having low trust within the black community, including obviously having deep ties with police forces.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the calculus here was that elevating COVID above the protests was an effort to prevent any black trust in these institutions from fully collapsing.
You know you are borrowed time when you have to balance out threats like this.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #979 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »

Was nearly arrested last night at a demonstration. Police deemed the protest unlawful and within 120 seconds began firing flash bangs into the crowd. It was literally the most chaotic situation I've ever been in. On top of that the police began blocking every exit path after 120 seconds. Basically you were expected to walk two blocks out of the area in less than two minutes. Insane. I won't forget or forgive this.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #980 on: June 03, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 09:37:44 AM by ilikeverin »

I support the protesters and all, but does anyone else find this to be actual insanity after they have been barking at anyone who’s came within 2 meters of another person for the last 3 months?

Believe science. Listen to experts. Smiley Smiley Smiley
It's an awful situation. It's a tough decision to make between your short-term an long-term welfare.

I protested on Monday. I've self-isolated and I'm planning on getting a test tomorrow. Minnesota will soon be releasing testing guidelines for protesters, so this is something health authorities are starting to attempt to tackle.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #981 on: June 03, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »

It's convenient when they immediately volunteer for the Ignore list, though.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #982 on: June 03, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »

Was nearly arrested last night at a demonstration. Police deemed the protest unlawful and within 120 seconds began firing flash bangs into the crowd. It was literally the most chaotic situation I've ever been in. On top of that the police began blocking every exit path after 120 seconds. Basically you were expected to walk two blocks out of the area in less than two minutes. Insane. I won't forget or forgive this.

That's utterly stupid.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #983 on: June 03, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #984 on: June 03, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »

These riots are taking place mainly in cities run by democrats, it is the failure of officials in the Democratic Party to control the riots which is obvious, I don’t see how anyone could dispute that point. Furthermore it is liberals who vote democratic, journalists etc  who have been making excuses and trying to provide cover for the riots. The people who are rioting themselves are obviously democratic supporters, demographically they are mostly young white leftists and poor African Americans, 2 groups that vote democratic.

I am all about the free exchange of ideas and open discussion. However, posts like this demonstrate that someone needs a big glass of STFU juice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #985 on: June 03, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »

Conversely, haven't the other "they" been saying the curve has been sufficiently flat and then we should be reopening Society weeks or months ago? Congratulations, folks like that have gotten their wish.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #986 on: June 03, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »

I must assume that Donald Trump either has become completely megalomaniac or that he simply tries to troll the country on purpose when he now writes that he has "done more for Black Americans, in fact, than any President in U.S. history, with the possible exception of another Republican President, the late, great, Abraham Lincoln", leaving it open that he might actually have done more for Blacks than Lincoln:

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #987 on: June 03, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »

THREE THINGS: LOADS OF BRICKS, WHITE CHICKS, MADE-UP SCHTICK
Why was riot gear more important than personal protective gear for the nation’s health care system back in March? This has bothered the hell out of me since I looked at the purchase orders and dates.
The press has been traumatized by police assaults on them as they covered the protests over the last several days. In my opinion this is deliberate; it keeps the media from investigating what were the triggering events moving police toward violence against peaceful if angry protesters, launching property damage which further triggered police abuse. Protesters repeatedly caught on camera white people, some times in clusters, taking active roles in beginning property damage.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #988 on: June 03, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »

Panda Express

« Reply #989 on: June 03, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »

In case people haven't been paying attention, it's obvious the military was very unhappy with Trump's pathetic photo-op stunt. First,
Defense official resigns from Pentagon post, slams Esper for role in Trump photo op.
“You may not have been able to stop President Trump from directing this appalling use of force, but you could have chosen to oppose it. Instead, you visibly supported it,” James Miller, a former undersecretary of defense for policy, wrote in his resignation letter to Esper.

Also, from what is likely to be mounting pressure within the Pentagon, Esper publicly broke with Trump and denied knowing and signing off on Trump's stunt. Esper then publically broke with Trump very recently and said the Pentagon does not support using military force for the protests.

I think his aides finally convinced him it would be very bad politically. While it is a fact he has botched this issue, and suffering politically as a result, the truth of the matter is that these protests will likely fizzle out by mid June. Ferguson lasted about two weeks. So while Trump has taken a political hit for a poor response to this issue, it wouldn't be at the forefront on Election Day. But if Trump needs to send tanks in the streets against US citizens? That sh*t would haunt Trump for the rest of his presidency and would certainly not play well most decent people. Even many Trump supporters would be spooked by that.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #990 on: June 03, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »

Trump screwed up.  He had an obligation to address the nation in a timely manner and look like a true leader like Richard Nixon or H.W. Bush.  He tweeted while Rome burned and after 5-6 days had a photo-op (reportedly at the behest of Ivanka, which wouldn't be surprising).  The speech itself was not bad, but he should have offered the governors the option of the national guard rather than try to supersede their authority and force it on them, and he also didn't spend enough time condemning Chauvin and didn't condemn him vigorously enough.  A recorded address (Reagan style) after the second night would have looked much more professional.

Of course it's a mistake to focus 100% on tangerine man and ignore the awful state and local leaders, particularly in Minnesota.  DeBlasio again reaffirming his position as America's worst mayor.

I've been a supporter of criminal justice reform for several years, but when protests are no longer protests and turn into riots and violent mobs, the state has an obligation to it's constituents to keep the peace, and that may require force as far as riots are concerned, unfortunately.  If the state fails to uphold it's obligation, then it loses it's legitimacy.  Sometimes you need a Mike Bloomberg or a Richard Nixon.

Police reform has to happen, cops need to be held to higher standards than civilians and need serious repercussions for harming people including termination of employment and pension, and ending qualified immunity. Some cops are bastards, actually, even if 95% percent aren't.  And business owners should guard their lives and livelihoods with lethal force.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #991 on: June 03, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »

Trump screwed up.  He had an obligation to address the nation in a timely manner and look like a true leader like Richard Nixon or H.W. Bush.  He tweeted while Rome burned and after 5-6 days had a photo-op (reportedly at the behest of Ivanka, which wouldn't be surprising).  The speech itself was not bad, but he should have offered the governors the option of the national guard rather than try to supersede their authority and force it on them, and he also didn't spend enough time condemning Chauvin and didn't condemn him vigorously enough.  A recorded address (Reagan style) after the second night would have looked much more professional.

Of course it's a mistake to focus 100% on tangerine man and ignore the awful state and local leaders, particularly in Minnesota.  DeBlasio again reaffirming his position as America's worst mayor.

I've been a supporter of criminal justice reform for several years, but when protests are no longer protests and turn into riots and violent mobs, the state has an obligation to it's constituents to keep the peace, and that may require force as far as riots are concerned, unfortunately.  If the state fails to uphold it's obligation, then it loses it's legitimacy.  Sometimes you need a Mike Bloomberg or a Richard Nixon.

Police reform has to happen, cops need to be held to higher standards than civilians and need serious repercussions for harming people including termination of employment and pension, and ending qualified immunity. Some cops are bastards, actually, even if 95% percent aren't.  And business owners should guard their lives and livelihoods with lethal force.

I wouldn't kill people over a business, but I would definitely try to kill someone who tried to kill me. My hope is that with reformed security forces, a lot of the leniency to other protests will be reexamined as well.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #992 on: June 03, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:00:03 PM by lfromnj »

Annatar raises some valid points with regards to the fact that isn't the biggest cause of deaths for young African American males.
However I don't really see this as a life issue but rather a justice issue, there are plenty of scenarios where the cop could have prevented the death of a young man and they managed to get off scott free. Fixing the issue of broken justice at the top is key before you can fix any other aspect of the justice system. Require moderate reforms but also place in strict punishments.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #993 on: June 03, 2020, 01:04:39 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #994 on: June 03, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »

I don't know about Minneapolis but generally voters in major cities have voted for the law-and-order candidates when crime issues come-up for mayoral elections and city-wide offices. This is ignoring the power that white-ethnic machines, through police unions have in democratic-party politics, especially at a ward-level, and these voters turnout more than black voters.

True.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #995 on: June 03, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »

Conversely, haven't the other "they" been saying the curve has been sufficiently flat and then we should be reopening Society weeks or months ago? Congratulations, folks like that have gotten their wish.
The curve has NOT flattened, and these rioters are acting incredibly insane right now.
Anyone going out into large groups is complicit in the 20k cases per day and 1k deaths
Per day. What happened to Mr Floyd was horrendous, and police reform is necessary, but that doesn’t mean furthering the spread of a pandemic which disproportionately kills minorities.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #996 on: June 03, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »

Oh honey...

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #997 on: June 03, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:30:01 PM by Storr »

Oh honey...

Meanwhile in a future tweet: "a portion of the US public doesn't think the Armenian Genocide happened" so the Armenian Genocide must have never happened and it's just a despicable lie spread by the PPK/YPG to make the great Republic of Turkey look bad.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #998 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:39:06 PM by KaiserDave »

Our President is such disgusting individual......

I don't know what else to say

After what happened on Monday....

I don't know what to say
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #999 on: June 03, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »

Snap to stop promoting Trump's account because of threats against protesters

The multimedia messaging app Snapchat said it will stop promoting President Donald Trump's account to other users because of the threats he has made on other social media platforms about unleashing violence against protesters.

The decision, which the company made over the weekend and announced Wednesday, may be one of the strongest stances yet from a social media company as the industry grapples with how to handle incendiary remarks from the country's most powerful leader.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/03/snapchat-to-stop-promoting-trump-account-298724
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies