2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64892 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 03, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/03/david-dorn-st-louis-police-captain-killed-amid-floyd-protest/3133037001/

Didn't see this posted anywhere. A black cop got killed by looters. His life isn't worth any less than Floyd's yet next week no one will be talking about this while we'll be talking about Floyd the rest of the year. No arrests made yet.

16 people have already died at these things and there are going to be long term detrimental effects in these communities much like after all the 60's rioting. When the protests are causing more damage than the thing they're supposed to be protesting against it might be time to pack it up and go home.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1051 on: June 03, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/03/david-dorn-st-louis-police-captain-killed-amid-floyd-protest/3133037001/

Didn't see this posted anywhere. A black cop got killed by looters. His life isn't worth any less than Floyd's yet next week no one will be talking about this while we'll be talking about Floyd the rest of the year. No arrests made yet.

16 people have already died at these things and there are going to be long term detrimental effects in these communities much like after all the 60's rioting. When the protests are causing more damage than the thing they're supposed to be protesting against it might be time to pack it up and go home.

It doesn't fit the narrative. He was a cop, he signed up for the job, so who cares if he died? That's the narrative.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1052 on: June 03, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »

It doesn't fit the narrative. He was a cop, he signed up for the job, so who cares if he died? That's the narrative.

He was actually a retired cop who was helping a friend protect his store, but it still doesn't fit the narrative. Black lives only matter when you can use them to score political points, I guess.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1053 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:36 PM »

I'm genuinely not sure I trust 2020 to be a free and fair election at this point. Sitting US Senators are calling for the military to be used to put down protests on US soil (and the New York Times is running this fascist drivel for some reason), and the conservative Christian intelligentsia has been ramping up the warmed-over Falangism for at least a year now.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1054 on: June 03, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »

I'm genuinely not sure I trust 2020 to be a free and fair election at this point. Sitting US Senators are calling for the military to be used to put down protests on US soil (and the New York Times is running this fascist drivel for some reason), and the conservative Christian intelligentsia has been ramping up the warmed-over Falangism for at least a year now.

You're expecting integrity from the newspaper that uncritically cited a race scientist in one of their op-eds.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1055 on: June 03, 2020, 11:24:50 PM »

Lol the New York Times staff is now trying to No Platform a United States Senator. I mean I'm no fan of Tom Cotton but this isn't some guy in a white hood and a tiki torch we're talking about here, this is someone duly elected by millions of your fellow countrymen to help make the laws of the land. To suggest that affording him free speech is beyond the realm of acceptable is just insane.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1056 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:38 PM »

I mean I'm no fan of Tom Cotton but this isn't some guy in a white hood and a tiki torch we're talking about here,

It's Tom f**king Cotton, Beet.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1057 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:56 PM »

Tom Cotton has never been among my favourite Senators, but a strong plurality of the Democratic Party agrees with Tom Cotton's position, so if you find this problematic, it's probably a tactic to cause outrage against it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1058 on: June 04, 2020, 12:02:23 AM »

Tom Cotton has never been among my favourite Senators, but a strong plurality of the Democratic Party agrees with Tom Cotton's position, so if you find this problematic, it's probably a tactic to cause outrage against it.

If I find what "problematic", the idea of the US military occupying its own country?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1059 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:14 AM »

If I find what "problematic", the idea of the US military occupying its own country?

The fact that a huge portion of the nominally left wing party supports that
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1060 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:56 AM »

The fact that a huge portion of the nominally left wing party supports that

I'd certainly say I do, yeah. If you're suggesting that the NYT ran Cotton's piece so that the idea would be associated with, well, Tom Cotton, then I guess that's clever of them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1061 on: June 04, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1062 on: June 04, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »

Lol the New York Times staff is now trying to No Platform a United States Senator. I mean I'm no fan of Tom Cotton but this isn't some guy in a white hood and a tiki torch we're talking about here, this is someone duly elected by millions of your fellow countrymen to help make the laws of the land. To suggest that affording him free speech is beyond the realm of acceptable is just insane.

The New York Times is a private organization. It would not violate anyone's free speech to decide not to print any article by any writer.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1063 on: June 04, 2020, 12:27:11 AM »

So I guess the big question... which might well deserve a new thread shortly.

Will the arrests of the additional (3) MPD Officers stop what has been a dramatically growing movement throughout the United States, the vast majority whom have been peaceful, combined with perhaps in some Cities violent confrontations between police and protesters, where frequently the police departments were widely visible in most cities as having overreacted, combined with incidents of looting in some cities, vast majority not connected with protesters?

1.) We are currently experiencing the highest level of sustained mass-mobilizations within the United States since 1968.

2.) In contrast to 1968 when it comes to mass demonstrations, we are currently experiencing an extremely diverse coalition of activists that regardless of the "cause" are taking to the streets in unprecedented numbers, where "Black Lives Matter" includes massive street demos of Anglos, African-American, Latino-American, and Asian-Americans.

3.) The initial militancy of the protesters, even in many smaller cities and towns within the United States, is at least equivalent to those of the "Righteous Rage", after they assassinated MLK on April 4th 1968.

4.) This current movement has predominately been spear-headed and led by Millennial Activists, which is the biggest demographic population, since the last late population of the "Baby Boomer" generation.

5.)  COVID-19 has likely resulted in a much smaller participation of individuals of certain age and health conditions, such as me and my wife...

6.) Where do we go from here???

7.) My initial assumption is that things might die down for a bit after the charges filed against all four officers involved in the murder of George Floyd.

8.) Stuff is now nationalized, but just about every city with protests has experienced incidents of police deaths over the years, even in overwhelmingly White Cities where a "White on White Cop" incident creates local headlines/

9.) Massive social movements of the type which we are currently witnessing will not disappear.

Black Lives Matter, as well as many other members of our communities throughout the Nation that have died at the hands of over overzealous trigger happy cops that have shot homeless men to death in the past 40 years in my small Oregon Town, simply because the rejects of the the LAPD didn't know how to deal with individuals well known within my community.

This is not intended in any way shape or form as an anti-cop diatribe...  we knew the good cops in our small town of 50k, we knew the bad cops too...

Fortunately even the judges knew the bad cops too, still it didn't stop the death of a homeless and mentally ill White Dude right across the Street from my best friends apartment back in the early '00s.

Bad cops eventually got fired, because of fake drug arrests, but nobody was ever convicted of murder....

Since 2015 only (5) Police Officers have been convicted of Murder Charges within the USA.

Do we really expect we will see a conviction of the Murderer and the Accessories to Murder in Minneapolis?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1064 on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:01 AM »

Can a Dem elucidate why sending the military to put down a bunch of white-supremacist, Russian-funded, Klansmen, boogaloo-wanting, rioters is a bad thing?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1065 on: June 04, 2020, 12:31:45 AM »

Can a Dem elucidate why sending the military to put down a bunch of white-supremacist, Russian-funded, Klansmen, boogaloo-wanting, rioters is a bad thing?

The military should only be deployed on the homefront against American citizens in an insurgency or large-scale domestic terrorism situation. Otherwise, the situation should be defused by local/state law enforcement, or failing that, state-controlled national guardsmen.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1066 on: June 04, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »

The military should only be deployed on the homefront in an insurgency or large-scale terrorism situation. Otherwise, the situation should be defused by local/state law enforcement, or failing that, state-controlled national guardsmen.

Susan Rice told me on CNN that the rioters are Russian-funded racists. If we have foreign-backed insurgents at our doorsteps, surely that fits in with your criteria?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1067 on: June 04, 2020, 12:39:04 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 12:42:21 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

The military should only be deployed on the homefront in an insurgency or large-scale terrorism situation. Otherwise, the situation should be defused by local/state law enforcement, or failing that, state-controlled national guardsmen.

Susan Rice told me on CNN that the rioters are Russian-funded racists. If we have foreign-backed insurgents at our doorsteps, surely that fits in with your criteria?

I don't give a sh**t what Susan Rice said, and even if there were Russian-funded white nationalists rioting and looting (which maybe there are some, but that's beyond the point) that's a situation that law enforcement and guardsmen should handle, not the national military.

If said Russian-funded white nationalists started a wide-scale armed insurrection and attempted to overthrow the local government and assert themselves as the sovereign authority of the city they're pillaging, that's when you call in the military.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1068 on: June 04, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »

I don't give a sh**t what Susan Rice said, and even if there were Russian-funded white nationalists rioting and looting (which maybe there are some, but that's beyond the point) that's a situation that law enforcement and guardsmen should handle, not the national military.

If said Russian-funded white nationalists started an armed insurrection and attempted to overthrow the local government and assert themselves as the sovereign authority of the city they're pillaging, that's when you call in the military.

You say this as if it is iron-clad. Detroit 1967, Chicago 1968, Washington D.C. 1968, and L.A. 1992 would like to have a word. The fact is that this is not unprecedented. You all acting like it is so abhorrent to use all resources available to put down the pillaging of our cities by a mob that couldn't care less about your political movement just shows your disconnect.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #1069 on: June 04, 2020, 12:48:30 AM »

This is crazy, similar story happening in other cities. Big brands (Rolex, Microsoft, LV) can survive it, small and medium sized businesses are gonna have some difficult times ahead.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1070 on: June 04, 2020, 12:54:42 AM »

It seems that COVID-19 lockdowns and these riots, all cheered on by left, will only result in the decimation of small business and further consolidation by Amazon and the big-box stores. Really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #1071 on: June 04, 2020, 01:15:41 AM »

It seems that COVID-19 lockdowns and these riots, all cheered on by left, will only result in the decimation of small business and further consolidation by Amazon and the big-box stores. Really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Looters are extremely selfish and self-centered folks. Many small business owners have put their heart and soul building their livelihoods. And on multiple occasions they've lost everything and had to rebuild all over again. Years of tears, sweat and blood all gone to waste.
With that been said, most protests mean well and yes there have been attempts to hijack the peaceful protests, but they still remain to a large extent peaceful.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1072 on: June 04, 2020, 03:22:20 AM »

Translation: MATTIS SUKZ, IM DA BEST PRESIDENT SINCE LINCOLN LOL
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1073 on: June 04, 2020, 04:05:00 AM »

This is disgusting.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1074 on: June 04, 2020, 04:47:06 AM »

Three Police shot and stabbed in New York.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-officer-shot-in-brooklyn-hours-into-new-yorks-curfew

Great protest movement. Real classy.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies