Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46924 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 02, 2020, 10:12:46 PM »

The Boston Tea Party led to the intolerable acts.....

Not reform.....

It's seen as the start of the American revolution in most respects, and has been considered a good thing by Americans despite being the destruction of huge amounts of property.
However do not compare random looters to the Boston Tea party. Maybe the police precint rioters should be similar enough.
. The heroes of the revolution did not try to enrich themselves directly from that act and it was from a massive state owned company. Also said protest was only directed at that company.

True, the Boston Tea Party was done by organized looters, not random ones. In part because I have ancestors who had to flee to Canada for their own safety, I am always quite skeptical of the hagiography often given to the instigators of the American Tax Revolt.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #901 on: June 02, 2020, 10:18:00 PM »

I realize that Trump is historically illiterate, but there's this pesky thing called the Posse Comitatus Act that got passed at the end of Reconstruction that prevents him from carrying out his very stable fantasies about sending in the troops. Under the circumstance, it's a little ironic since a prime motivation behind the act was to prevent a future President from sending in the troops to protect the negroes.

Article IV Section 4

I don't get what you thought you were trying to imply.  If anything, between the language there "on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened)" and the Tenth Amendment, it would seem that even without the Posse Comitatus Act, the Federal government can't send troops into the States to engage in policing unless the government of that State asks for such assistance.

Quote from: 18 U.S.C. § 1385.
Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Article IV, Section 4 is an express authorization in the Constitution.

In the case of the tweets, President Trump condemned the weak radical left mayor of Minneapolis, and said that he had talked to the governor (Tim Walz) and told him that he would have the full support of the US Military.

Walz can of course call out the National Guard (part of the Minnesota militia) to protect life and property when the police department is overwhelmed. I suspect that there is express congressional approval for the US Military providing logistical support for a state National Guard when it is acting in a state capacity.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #902 on: June 02, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »

Heart touching images of police, soldiers, and protestors hugging and kneeling.

Until black lives matter, we cannot get to all lives matter. This is how we can do it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #903 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »

I'd be able to say I'm a subject of the Queen, which would be an honor.

Ireland doesn't have the Queen. It's not even in the Commonwealth.

Northern Ireland has the Queen, but it also has, as I'm sure you know, vastly more fractious politics than what you seem to be looking for.
I just want to reflect on this for a moment. Higgins is so ignorant of the world that he thinks the British monarchy continues to rule over Ireland.

Actually, I know it doesn't. Once there, could much more easily move to the North and see if I like it there. The Good Ship America is sinking and I want off.

Do you plan on becoming an illegal immigrant? If anything, emigrating legally to the UK will likely be easier from the US than the EU.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #904 on: June 02, 2020, 11:04:52 PM »

That doesn’t justify pretty blatant homicide. I mean, Floyd was already disabled as a threat minutes before he started begging for air. When Mr Floyd desperately gasped out in pleas to get a bit of air, that should have been pretty damn obvious for the officer, even with the context. A lot of police allegations are exaggerated/miss context. This one doesn’t and is pretty obviously murder on the officer’s part.
According to the indictment, Floyd had said that he could not breathe several times while standing up.
...We have video evidence of everything, I don’t know who you are trying to fool here.
Quote from: State of Probable Cause against Derek Chauvin
"While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe."

The state authorities have the body cam videos/audios. They prepared the indictment. It is not likely that they would make it up.

I won't know who "we" is in your statement. Do you work for the Minnesota or Minneapolis authorities or FBI?

I think that what forumlurker was trying to say is that Floyd saying he can't breathe while standing up is irrelevant to the fact that he was suffocated by a knee while on the ground.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #905 on: June 02, 2020, 11:05:49 PM »

I realize that Trump is historically illiterate, but there's this pesky thing called the Posse Comitatus Act that got passed at the end of Reconstruction that prevents him from carrying out his very stable fantasies about sending in the troops. Under the circumstance, it's a little ironic since a prime motivation behind the act was to prevent a future President from sending in the troops to protect the negroes.

Article IV Section 4

I don't get what you thought you were trying to imply.  If anything, between the language there "on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened)" and the Tenth Amendment, it would seem that even without the Posse Comitatus Act, the Federal government can't send troops into the States to engage in policing unless the government of that State asks for such assistance.

Quote from: 18 U.S.C. § 1385.
Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Article IV, Section 4 is an express authorization in the Constitution.

In the case of the tweets, President Trump condemned the weak radical left mayor of Minneapolis, and said that he had talked to the governor (Tim Walz) and told him that he would have the full support of the US Military.

Walz can of course call out the National Guard (part of the Minnesota militia) to protect life and property when the police department is overwhelmed. I suspect that there is express congressional approval for the US Military providing logistical support for a state National Guard when it is acting in a state capacity.

Article IV is quite clear. In order to intervene in intrastate violence, the United States government requires a request from a state legislature or, if the legislature cannot convene, the state governor.

No state has made such a request of Donald Trump, nor, given his demonstrated incompetence and unfitness, is any state likely to do. (I suppose there's a chance that some Republican-dominated state that doesn't care about the future will invite him in for PR reasons, but that's it.)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #906 on: June 02, 2020, 11:21:03 PM »

That doesn’t justify pretty blatant homicide. I mean, Floyd was already disabled as a threat minutes before he started begging for air. When Mr Floyd desperately gasped out in pleas to get a bit of air, that should have been pretty damn obvious for the officer, even with the context. A lot of police allegations are exaggerated/miss context. This one doesn’t and is pretty obviously murder on the officer’s part.
According to the indictment, Floyd had said that he could not breathe several times while standing up.
...We have video evidence of everything, I don’t know who you are trying to fool here.
Jimrtex is kind of like the Atlas Rudy Guliani. He was a well.known normal poster and then one day he just went way off the rails and never recovered. Not sure if you'll be able to talk any sense into him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #907 on: June 02, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »

One hopes this leads to serious changes in US police practice and culture.

The police unions need to be restrained.

Pat Lynch, Ed Mullins, Bob Kroll, John McNesby, James McDermott and all the other notables have to be forced out or face charges of neglect and complicity in police brutality.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #908 on: June 03, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »

This is the most disgusting take I’ve read about this whole thing all night and it was written by a black woman. Take out that part and you’d think David Duke wrote it.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #909 on: June 03, 2020, 02:57:10 AM »

Your flamethrowers suggestion is inappropriate. Really, the last thing we need is to dial up tensions even more heavily, and if anything it is also highly disproportionate. Leaving all that aside that it is also very morally fraught of an idea.
There is a reason we stopped using flamethrowers in war.

The main reason is that they're generally more of a danger to the user than an effective general purpose weapon. They have a fairly limited use case, burning or asphyxiating those holed up in a bunker, tunnel, or cave. It wasn't morality that caused their abandonment, but the general abandonment by armies of their  principal target, fixed fortifications,making them not particularly useful
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #910 on: June 03, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 06:02:43 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

DA Medical Examiner is now also calling the Floyd killing a homicide.

Im shocked. Who'd a thunk crushing someones windpipe for the length of a Quibi video would cause them to suffocate?

What are the symptoms of fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use?

If this is the new narrative that we're going with -- that Floyd was "intoxicated" on Fentanyl, then he would not have been nearly as coordinated or coherent as he appears in the various videos taken pre-arrest.  From my experiences, people who have overdosed on Fentanyl appear to be severely drunk (depending on the dosage).  

None of this matters anyway.  Let's say that Floyd was high-as-a-kite, his cardiovascular health was in dire straits and he was minutes away from an unrelated infarction.  Chauvin's actions still directly contributed to his death.  
What do you mean by the part that I have bolded? The store clerk who made the 911 Call said that Floyd looked drunk or something. That there wasn't something right with him. That Floyd was sitting in his car. It appears to be that it was 7 minutes between the 911 Call and the time the first officers arrived.

He was handcuffed and arrested at that time, he appears to have his knees buckled at that time. The formal arrest appears to be while Floyd was sitting/sprawling on the ground.

The store clerk thought that Floyd was drunk or something. If Floyd had not been intoxicated, the store clerk would not have been able to run down the street and yell at him and get the license plate, because Floyd would have driven off. If Floyd had not been intoxicated, he would not have been sitting in the car 7 minutes later when the police arrived.

Imagine that a drunk is beating the c__p out of his wife. Do you send a doctor, nurse, EMT, marriage counselor, or a police officer?

I was going off of the videos I'd seen just prior to his arrest.  I admittedly didn't read the full 911 transcript.

My point still stands, though: Floyd potentially being intoxicated does not absolve the officer(s) in this case.  I'm not sure if that's the angle you're going for, jimrtex, but he was handcuffed on the ground with a fully-grown man putting his weight on his neck for almost nine minutes.  That's inexcusable, point blank.  

He was not using his full weight. Most of his weight was on his other foot.

Nobody said that restraining Mr. Floyd (in itself) was wrong.  

"Not using his full weight" is not relevant here.  From what I remember in the forensics classes that I took (my original path through undergrad), it only takes about five to ten pounds of pressure to occlude the carotid arteries.  It takes about thirty to thirty-five pounds of pressure to occlude the airway.  

Let's assume that Chauvin weighs 160-180 lbs.  Even if he's not placing all of his weight on one knee, a significant portion of his body weight is being applied to Floyd's carotid and airway.  

This may have been a different story if Chauvin held Floyd down for fifteen-to-thirty seconds (although even this can be dangerous).  But Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for almost ten minutes.  Restraining him until he relaxes is fine.  But you don't mess around with the vital arteries and airway. 

Sources:

https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/forensicsasphyxia.html  

https://www.umc.edu/som/Departments%20and%20Offices/SOM%20Departments/Pediatrics/Divisions/Forensic-Medicine/files/investigating_asphyxial_deaths.pdf
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #911 on: June 03, 2020, 07:11:52 AM »

Im shocked. Who'd a thunk crushing someones windpipe for the length of a Quibi video would cause them to suffocate?

If this is the new narrative that we're going with -- that Floyd was "intoxicated" on Fentanyl, then he would not have been nearly as coordinated or coherent as he appears in the various videos taken pre-arrest.  From my experiences, people who have overdosed on Fentanyl appear to be severely drunk (depending on the dosage).  

None of this matters anyway.  Let's say that Floyd was high-as-a-kite, his cardiovascular health was in dire straits and he was minutes away from an unrelated infarction.  Chauvin's actions still directly contributed to his death.  
What do you mean by the part that I have bolded? The store clerk who made the 911 Call said that Floyd looked drunk or something. That there wasn't something right with him. That Floyd was sitting in his car. It appears to be that it was 7 minutes between the 911 Call and the time the first officers arrived.

He was handcuffed and arrested at that time, he appears to have his knees buckled at that time. The formal arrest appears to be while Floyd was sitting/sprawling on the ground.

The store clerk thought that Floyd was drunk or something. If Floyd had not been intoxicated, the store clerk would not have been able to run down the street and yell at him and get the license plate, because Floyd would have driven off. If Floyd had not been intoxicated, he would not have been sitting in the car 7 minutes later when the police arrived.

Imagine that a drunk is beating the c__p out of his wife. Do you send a doctor, nurse, EMT, marriage counselor, or a police officer?

I was going off of the videos I'd seen just prior to his arrest.  I admittedly didn't read the full 911 transcript.

My point still stands, though: Floyd potentially being intoxicated does not absolve the officer(s) in this case.  I'm not sure if that's the angle you're going for, jimrtex, but he was handcuffed on the ground with a fully-grown man putting his weight on his neck for almost nine minutes.  That's inexcusable, point blank.  

"Not using his full weight" is not relevant here.  From what I remember in the forensics classes that I took (my original path through undergrad), it only takes about five to ten pounds of pressure to occlude the carotid arteries.  It takes about thirty to thirty-five pounds of pressure to occlude the airway.  

Let's assume that Chauvin weighs 160-180 lbs.  Even if he's not placing all of his weight on one knee, a significant portion of his body weight is being applied to Floyd's carotid and airway.  

This may have been a different story if Chauvin held Floyd down for fifteen-to-thirty seconds (although even this can be dangerous).  But Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for almost ten minutes.  Restraining him until he relaxes is fine.  But you don't mess around with the vital arteries and airway. 

Sources:

https://www.umc.edu/som/Departments%20and%20Offices/SOM%20Departments/Pediatrics/Divisions/Forensic-Medicine/files/investigating_asphyxial_deaths.pdf
Strangling someone for 10 minutes is akin to stoning someone even after they are buried in the rocks that you have thrown.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #912 on: June 03, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #913 on: June 03, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 09:52:44 AM by Crumpets »

Wow. I don't want to overplay this since we still have a long way to go, but this is starting to feel truly revolutionary in the best possible way.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #914 on: June 03, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »

I think disbanding police departments might be a bad idea.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #915 on: June 03, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 04:49:24 PM by texasgurl »

https://twitter.com/LeonHWolf/status/1268168296714698752?s=19
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #916 on: June 03, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

I think we're talking about more of a Northern Ireland model than an outright "there won't be a police force."
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #917 on: June 03, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »

You get what you deserve---the police departments as well. Get rid of Bob Kroll, while you are at it, too.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #918 on: June 03, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »

Sources:

Wouldn't that be pressure on the side or front of the neck?

Why would Floyd repeatedly be saying that he couldn't breathe while he was standing up?

Are Minneapolis police officers trained to distinguish between fetanyl intoxication and alcohol intoxication?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #919 on: June 03, 2020, 10:27:06 AM »

Sources:

Wouldn't that be pressure on the side or front of the neck?

Why would Floyd repeatedly be saying that he couldn't breathe while he was standing up?

Are Minneapolis police officers trained to distinguish between fetanyl intoxication and alcohol intoxication?

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #920 on: June 03, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »

"While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe."

The state authorities have the body cam videos/audios. They prepared the indictment. It is not likely that they would make it up.

I won't know who "we" is in your statement. Do you work for the Minnesota or Minneapolis authorities or FBI?

I think that what forumlurker was trying to say is that Floyd saying he can't breathe while standing up is irrelevant to the fact that he was suffocated by a knee while on the ground.

Why is it irrelevant?

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #921 on: June 03, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »

Why is it irrelevant?

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.

Yep. True to form Jim Texas is about to go full-on JJ and embarrass himself repeatedly.

Dude, quit while you're behind and go back to the redistricting thread.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #922 on: June 03, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »

Why is it irrelevant?

Yep. True to form Jim Texas is about to go full-on JJ and embarrass himself repeatedly.

Dude, quit while you're behind and go back to the redistricting thread.

Wow. Now talking to that guy was like playing chess with pigeon.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #923 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
What do you mean by wrongdoing?

Is that the same as doing the wrong thing?

Were his actions those of malfeasance or misfeasance?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Lane?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Kueng?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Thao?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #924 on: June 03, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »

Smile
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length