Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:41:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 47748 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 29, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »

Not the worst thing he's lost

That'll teach those racist cops to stop abusing people.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #376 on: May 29, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »

Nothing ever changes in America.

Not shocking. A bit upsetting, but not shocking.

Might be time to head off to a functional country and leave this mess for good.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #377 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »

And here's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftLzQefpBvM
What the hell. They're really trying hard at destroying their reputation here.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #378 on: May 29, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to share this, but watching the reactions to the protesters really bother me. Mostly because it serves as a sort of touchstone for just how awful policing in this country has become.

We should be horrified at a mob of angry citizens burning down a police station. I should. We all all should. But we're not. Reactions on the left seem to range from open sympathy to pretty gentle criticism, much of it worried about how this might help Trump's campaign. There's probably open cheering somewhere, too, but I haven't seen it myself, yet. Meanwhile, the right's response is transparent glee at getting some broadly acceptable ammunition for their race and culture war. And we all know full well (because of the evidence of recent history) that if this was being done by white guys with guns in milita or western drag, they'd be the ones cheering or maybe tut-tutting about means while agreeing with the sentiment.

These reactions are a terrible indictment of American policing as an institution. It has failed. And I see absolutely practical path for how we fix it, for how we get from where we are now, to where the police (and the justice system) get out of the deep hole they're in (and which they helped to dig).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »

Just anecdotally from my personal social bubble, this feels much different than previous similar stories. Apolitical people are as up in arms over the murder of George Floyd as they are for really anything I've seen since maybe the original travel ban. This is approaching 100% of my Facebook feed, easily beating out COVID as the main thing people are talking about. As others have noted, there's probably a lot at play here in terms of people already being pent up from spending weeks inside, but I really didn't think we could escalate beyond Ferguson or the Freddie Gray riots in terms of national attention to police brutality and racism. It really feels like this has crossed a threshold, but I don't know where to.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »

Yeah I mean non-political people I know are sharing it on facebook over here...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »

Just anecdotally from my personal social bubble, this feels much different than previous similar stories. Apolitical people are as up in arms over the murder of George Floyd as they are for really anything I've seen since maybe the original travel ban. This is approaching 100% of my Facebook feed, easily beating out COVID as the main thing people are talking about. As others have noted, there's probably a lot at play here in terms of people already being pent up from spending weeks inside, but I really didn't think we could escalate beyond Ferguson or the Freddie Gray riots in terms of national attention to police brutality and racism. It really feels like this has crossed a threshold, but I don't know where to.

At least Obama was president during Ferguson. Now there's someone in charge who won't hesitate to fuel the fire further.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:37 AM »

Jacob Pederson Is Not the AutoZone Umbrella Man, St. Paul Police Say
Aviral and incendiary social media accusation against a St. Paul, Minnesota, police officer is false, the police department said in a statement. The situation shows how quickly information can spread on social media, ricocheting around the web and damaging people’s reputations, especially in a fast-moving situation like the unrest in the Twin Cities.

According to the police statement, the social media falsehood happened to Jacob Pederson, a St. Paul police officer who was erroneously accused of being the mysterious black-clad, umbrella-carrying man involved in methodically breaking windows at an AutoZone during the protests/riots in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Here’s a video of the umbrella man.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:38 AM »

Hopefully these riots make more voters in MN realise the importance of having politicians who recognise the importance of maintaining law and order, Trump should be able to capitalise on these riots and the more riots happen the better it will be for him electorally, he likely does understand how to use these riots to help him politically I would say, it would be a good way for him to turn away the focus from the virus.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »

Again, the murder of George Floyd is a despicable racist murder, and this happens far far too much. We have a problem in this country and it's not new. We need police reform and we need it now.

But these images of looting and wholesale burning down of neighborhoods are awful and unacceptable.  Its gonna be poor families already on the brink (recession and pandemic anyone) who will have to put back the pieces of shattered neighborhoods.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #385 on: May 29, 2020, 09:22:29 AM »

Hopefully these riots make more voters in MN realise the importance of having politicians who recognise the importance of maintaining law and order, Trump should be able to capitalise on these riots and the more riots happen the better it will be for him electorally, he likely does understand how to use these riots to help him politically I would say, it would be a good way for him to turn away the focus from the virus.

Because that's what's important here.  "Winning!"
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #386 on: May 29, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »

What law and order?  A black man who was not resisting arrest was murdered by police.  A black CNN reporter was arrested despite clearly identifying himself as a reporter.  These are just two incidents in the last few days that happened to be caught on video.  These types of incidents are not new.  It's been happening around the country for decades.  That is not law an order.  If there is injustice for one of us there is injustice for all of us.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #387 on: May 29, 2020, 09:29:42 AM »

Wow, this country is finished.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #388 on: May 29, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »

A tweet supporting riots.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #389 on: May 29, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »

A tweet supporting riots.

How to destroy your credibility in a nutshell
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »

Sure looks like AMERICAN CARNAGE as I turn on my television.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »

"George Floyd will not have died in vain"?

What specific legislative initiatives is he planning to support to curb police brutality?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »

Since I can't get the Facebook post option here to work (always "invalid link"), here is a screenshot of a Facebook post that encapsulates my feelings about what's going on.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »

And for those of you saying that property destruction is pointless and just hurts your cause, I'd like this image to remind you of American history.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »

And for those of you saying that property destruction is pointless and just hurts your cause, I'd like this image to remind you of American history.

To that I say it's possible that an attack on police property can happen. However stop setting fires that spread and destroy the rest of your community is just dumb.
Also no some random looters dont even care who george is and just want free stuff. Even insurance isnt an excuse. Not every person will have full coverage and it isnt the expectation of society for us to let them take the loss.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »

The Boston Tea Party led to the intolerable acts.....

Not reform.....
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »

I look forward to fighting in the upcoming war. Hope you find it worthwhile. Always said I would've been a loyalist, now's my time to prove it.
Panda Express

« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »

This is the best part of the night for me so far:

Donald Trump tries to use a sock to repost the message, gets blocked by Twitter again

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2020, 10:37:34 AM »

All his cultists will be posting this now in a weird Spartacus pisstake.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »

Tbh the revelation that the cop and George Floyd worked together (and probably knew each other) leads me to believe that this was less an act of random racism/brutality and that the cop had it out for Floyd for some reason. Doesn't make it any less heinous and if anything he should be guranteed the most serious charges in that situation.

Of course, it might also not be the case because maybe they hadn't ran into each other with how many security guards they had.  I'm curious to see if that ends up playing a role.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies