2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 09:54:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota  (Read 40446 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 14, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »

Anyway, here's my attempt at a 5 seat D gerrymander of Minnesota.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::fdc5df0d-36cd-4a5f-a1ed-790b37e4d657

All incumbents live in their seats and get the core of their bases preserved. MN-02, MN-03, MN-04, and MN-05 are Safe D. MN-06 is Biden +4 and trending leftward. Probably 4-4 in 2022 but 3-5 beyond that and all 5 Safe D by the end of the decade.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2022, 01:42:56 PM »

1. "reasonably compact" reminds me of your "fair map" Dane County split. You're not fooling anyone by describing your maps incorrectly (and why are you trying to? This is an internet forum). Call a spade a spade and say that you drew a tendril 4 way-Hennepin split.

This is an obvious pizzamander and isn't compact at all.

No, I know it's not compact on the whole at all. What I meant was, it is comparatively compact using Discovolante's district as a point of reference (shown below). Obviously I can't say any of those 6 seats are really compact at all, but they are most certainly more compact than the map below, and that is what I was talking about (though I can see why it might be confusing/unclear).

(Also, to NC Conservative, regarding the Dane County map - give me the link to the map I called fair, and I will tell you exactly why it is. Don't know which map you're talking about until you do, though, because I believe I've shared multiple maps here with Dane County separated.)

With that said, below is the map I was comparing mine to, and that's why I said it was (comparatively) compact:

Why is it so hard to draw 5 democratic CDs in a biden +8 state. The Nevada democrats did it in a biden +2 state

look on my works, ye mighty, and despair

(this still votes right of the state at large and trends are awful outside of Rochester so this would probably be fairly comfortably GOP-held in practice)

2. Use DRA. No one wants to use a clunkier site that lacks recent data.

I don't care for DRA's layout and much prefer that of Districtr's, even if it lacks a lot of information DRA has. Appreciate the advice/command but at least for the moment, I don't intend to switch to DRA.

No map that splits Dane County is fair. Even if you're aiming for proportionality, it is too clear of a community of interest for a split of it to be anything other than an egregious gerrymander.

Again - which map are you discussing? You give me the link of the so-called gerrymander, and I'll give you an explanation as to why splitting Dane County is justified.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2022, 02:14:56 PM »

1. "reasonably compact" reminds me of your "fair map" Dane County split. You're not fooling anyone by describing your maps incorrectly (and why are you trying to? This is an internet forum). Call a spade a spade and say that you drew a tendril 4 way-Hennepin split.

No, I know it's not compact on the whole at all. What I meant was, it is comparatively compact using Discovolante's district as a point of reference (shown below). Obviously I can't say any of those 6 seats are really compact at all, but they are most certainly more compact than the map below, and that is what I was talking about (though I can see why it might be confusing/unclear).

(Also, to NC Conservative, regarding the Dane County map - give me the link to the map I called fair, and I will tell you exactly why it is. Don't know which map you're talking about until you do, though, because I believe I've shared multiple maps here with Dane County separated.)

With that said, below is the map I was comparing mine to, and that's why I said it was (comparatively) compact:

Why is it so hard to draw 5 democratic CDs in a biden +8 state. The Nevada democrats did it in a biden +2 state

(this still votes right of the state at large and trends are awful outside of Rochester so this would probably be fairly comfortably GOP-held in practice)

I don't care for DRA's layout and much prefer that of Districtr's, even if it lacks a lot of information DRA has. Appreciate the advice/command but at least for the moment, I don't intend to switch to DRA.

No map that splits Dane County is fair. Even if you're aiming for proportionality, it is too clear of a community of interest for a split of it to be anything other than an egregious gerrymander.

Again - which map are you discussing? You give me the link of the so-called gerrymander, and I'll give you an explanation as to why splitting Dane County is justified.

No map that splits Dane County is fair. Pick any map as you like -- no map that splits Dane is fair.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #503 on: February 14, 2022, 02:20:30 PM »

No map that splits Dane County is fair. Pick any map as you like -- no map that splits Dane is fair.

I could maybe see some sort of argument if a split of one of the counties in the area was necessary for population equality, but yeah, there's basically zero region to do a split that goes deeper than one or two towns. Cracking Dane County to counteract Democratic packing is a scandalous gerrymander.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2022, 02:36:39 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 02:42:49 PM by lfromnj »

I could maybe see some sort of argument if a split of one of the counties in the area was necessary for population equality, but yeah, there's basically zero region to do a split that goes deeper than one or two towns. Cracking Dane County to counteract Democratic packing is a scandalous gerrymander.

I wouldn't call it scandalous as long as it doesn't go into the inner ring

Green is probably what would be Madison city limits if it annexed atleast the most inner ring areas.
Say some split like this

It doesn't really make too much sense as it would just make more sense to lop of the furthest end  of Green county so it still is a Dem Favorable map but it isn't really egregious. Splitting the clearly urbanized inner part of Dane is unacceptable as that is such a clear COI. The areas split of Western Dane are obviously more related to Madison than the southern parts of Green but the line is a bit more blurred than splitting Madison in 2 as that's really the only way to get any split of the core Madison area. Obviously most splits of Dane when done for partisan fairness are clearly the latter than just merely the former..
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »

Anyway, here's my attempt at a 5 seat D gerrymander of Minnesota.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::fdc5df0d-36cd-4a5f-a1ed-790b37e4d657

All incumbents live in their seats and get the core of their bases preserved. MN-02, MN-03, MN-04, and MN-05 are Safe D. MN-06 is Biden +4 and trending leftward. Probably 4-4 in 2022 but 3-5 beyond that and all 5 Safe D by the end of the decade.

Given Hagedorn's recent health issues, I'd assume he retires here and Emmer gets the 1st to himself.

Tyler Kistner probably runs in the 6th in this scenario and likely wins in 2022.

Also that MN-02 is only Biden+10, so it's probably not Safe D in 2022, though it's hard to see a Republican holding on here in 2024.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »

What is with all the discussion about Dane county and Wisconsin? There is a different thread for that. Also maps with crazy looking districts are just not going to happen with the map drawn by judges so what is the point of posting them? Oh, and get off my lawn.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2022, 12:13:15 AM »

Fair highly competitive MN map
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #508 on: February 15, 2022, 12:26:47 AM »

I wouldn't call it scandalous as long as it doesn't go into the inner ring

Green is probably what would be Madison city limits if it annexed atleast the most inner ring areas.
Say some split like this

It doesn't really make too much sense as it would just make more sense to lop of the furthest end  of Green county so it still is a Dem Favorable map but it isn't really egregious. Splitting the clearly urbanized inner part of Dane is unacceptable as that is such a clear COI. The areas split of Western Dane are obviously more related to Madison than the southern parts of Green but the line is a bit more blurred than splitting Madison in 2 as that's really the only way to get any split of the core Madison area. Obviously most splits of Dane when done for partisan fairness are clearly the latter than just merely the former..

Why did you cut my hometown in half? Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2022, 01:02:24 PM »

Court will unveil the new maps tomorrow (February 15) at 12 PM central.

Check here at that time: https://www.mncourts.gov/2021RedistrictingPanel

The page is down lol
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2022, 01:03:06 PM »

MN Congressional maps

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/A21-0243%202021%20Redistricting/Appendix-A-Congressional-Maps.pdf

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »

Map is out: https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/A21-0243%202021%20Redistricting/Appendix-A-Congressional-Maps.pdf
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2022, 01:05:46 PM »

Well, that was boring.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2022, 01:05:53 PM »

WTF? None of these links are working for me.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #514 on: February 15, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »

Basically least change. Glad MN-02 is slightly bluer and MN-06 seems like it could become competitive eventually
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #515 on: February 15, 2022, 01:08:53 PM »

What's the partisanship of MN-02?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #516 on: February 15, 2022, 01:09:11 PM »

MN-06 no longer borders Wisconsin. A sign of the population growth in the outer MSP metro.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #517 on: February 15, 2022, 01:09:18 PM »

Dems got the short end of the stick "relatively" I guess .  They decided to push MN06 further into the metro rather than MN01/MN02. Both MN02/MN01 still got a bit more blue each but Dems may have wanted a bit more.

Good job by the court for dealing with the tricky St Clouds area.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #518 on: February 15, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »

Looks about Biden + 7.5ish
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #519 on: February 15, 2022, 01:11:41 PM »

Median seat still voted Trump in 2020 L
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »

Yeah as I said I expected the median seat to be a Biden +1 to 2 seat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #521 on: February 15, 2022, 01:12:30 PM »

That should make Angie Craig reasonably secure.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2022, 01:12:55 PM »

Its 7.2 from 6.9.
kwabbit

« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »

MN-02 seems like it would be an easy flip for the GOP. Biden +7.2, but Craig underperformed Biden significantly, as did other MSP suburban Democrats. In a wave environment, that's tossup at minimum.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #524 on: February 15, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »

Ah, so not as much of a change as I expected from just the top-line.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies