2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 08:56:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 91937 times)
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: July 24, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »

My Coachella Valley district is done. What should I do now?

Why is the 41st taking in parts of rural San Diego, just add in Beaumont from Riverside and it fits nicely.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2020, 09:33:36 PM by ERM64man »

Why is the 41st taking in parts of rural San Diego, just add in Beaumont from Riverside and it fits nicely.
Maybe I should do that instead. Why do you have Del Norte separate from Humboldt? That doesn't make sense. Did you separate them simply because Humboldt is Democratic?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1102 on: July 24, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2020, 01:55:56 PM by Sev »

Adding the mountainous areas that are more connected to Imperial County is better than splitting Beaumont and Banning. It's better to add places like Campo and Borrego Springs with Imperial County.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1103 on: July 24, 2020, 02:11:29 PM »

Maybe I should do that instead. Why do you have Del Norte separate from Humboldt? That doesn't make sense. Did you separate them simply because Humboldt is Democratic?
I fixed that. I'll post my updated map soon.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1104 on: July 25, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2020, 07:56:56 PM by ERM64man »

This won't work. Any ideas for a similar IE configuration with this Victor Valley district and Riverside districts?

Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1105 on: July 25, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »

This won't work. Any ideas for a similar IE configuration with this Victor Valley district and Riverside districts?

Do San Diego first to see how much room you have left, that's what I did at least.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1106 on: July 25, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Do San Diego first to see how much room you have left, that's what I did at least.
Yes, but I'm not sure what to do with Riverside and San Bernardino while having this Victor Valley district configuration. Any ideas? How should I draw the rest of San Diego with these two districts in the county I already have? CA-52 is functionally CA-51 and CA-41 is functionally CA-36.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1107 on: July 25, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »

Yes, but I'm not sure what to do with Riverside and San Bernardino while having this Victor Valley district configuration. Any ideas? How should I draw the rest of San Diego with these two districts in the county I already have? CA-52 is functionally CA-51 and CA-41 is functionally CA-36.
Well here's my updated one.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1108 on: July 25, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »

I redrew parts of my map here's LA:

and the whole state:
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1109 on: July 25, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »

What did the cities of Camarillo and Anaheim do to hurt you?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1110 on: July 25, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »

And what was done to Oceanside? Why double bunk Jared Huffman and Mike Thompson in CA-05? Any ideas for my San Diego and Inland Empire area?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1111 on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »

Oh my. I would love to hear the justification for these monstrosities. What the heck is district 5 doing? District 44 uhh why? 34? Yikes.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1112 on: July 25, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »

Oh my. I would love to hear the justification for these monstrosities. What the heck is district 5 doing? District 44 uhh why? 34? Yikes.
I updated Riverside, but it probably doesn’t work. What should I do to make it work with San Bernardino and San Diego?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

I updated Riverside, but it probably doesn’t work. What should I do to make it work with San Bernardino and San Diego?
I was referring to Coastal Elitist's map. Your districts look fine overall.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »

You should do San Diego first.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »

You have no room to talk lol. 44 is like that because you said the 46th wasn't Hispanic enough so I expanded it to take in more hispanics. The 5th is like that because I didn't want to cross the bridge and it made sense to head east there's nothing wrong with pairing Novato with Sonoma, Napa and Vacaville. Also what's wrong with the 34th it's not that much different than the current version?
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »

Nothing I had to expand the 25th past Simi Valley so I went to Camarillo what's wrong with that? Also Anaheim is that way to make the 46th a strong Hispanic district.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »

And what was done to Oceanside? Why double bunk Jared Huffman and Mike Thompson in CA-05? Any ideas for my San Diego and Inland Empire area?
It made sense to take in the rest of San Diego and the rest of the coast so I went up to Oceanside, but I had to split it because it didn't all fit. For the 5th the commission isn't supposed to consider where incumbents are and that's what fit best since the 2nd already took in most of the coast.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2020, 06:41:29 PM »

You should do San Diego first.
How have you done San Diego? I am planning to do something similar there. Should the number 52 be assigned to my version of CA-36 (Coachella Valley) or my version of CA-51 (Chula Vista)?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »

You have no room to talk lol. 44 is like that because you said the 46th wasn't Hispanic enough so I expanded it to take in more hispanics. The 5th is like that because I didn't want to cross the bridge and it made sense to head east there's nothing wrong with pairing Novato with Sonoma, Napa and Vacaville. Also what's wrong with the 34th it's not that much different than the current version?

There's no reason why CA-46 shouldn't be drawn like this, keeping the cities intact. You'll have to shed about 15k from this map, but the little extension on West Anaheim can easily be removed.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1120 on: July 26, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2020, 12:56:38 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

Finished my map: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

Recommendations welcome, I know that the 10th is ugly, mostly because it was my leftover seat, also the Inland Empire mess is to try to draw more minority access seats.

The 4th is an abomination that should be destroyed in it's entirety, the 13th should drop Half Moon Bay, the 3rd should go all the way to Del Norte County, the 32nd should drop either Long Beach or Venice/Mar Vista, the 26th needs to drop Claremont and Glendora, and the 35th, 41st, 46th, and 48th should be drawn over again from scratch. You don't need to do these insane pairings to get sufficient minority access.

I mostly made these changes but given Claremont and Glendora are in the current 27th, which is basically my 26th, I'm unsure where exactly they belong and which cities I should exchange for them.  The 9th was my leftover seat, and some advice on how to fix that would be helpful, also I'd like to know if the 35th could still use some cleaning up. Made all of the other changes that you suggested.

Map link: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

This is better, but you still have some work to do.

1. Inyo and Mono counties can only attach to San Bernardino or Kern. This is literally mandated by California state law and any map which connects them west or north is a non-starter. You'll just have to live without that white sink.

2. Pasadena to Glendora to Claremont without including Monrovia/Azusa/San Dimas is also a no go. Just push your 31st district into Monrovia and Claremont and drop precincts in El Monte and Monrovia to compensate.

3. Don't split Long Beach. Just don't.

4. Santa Monica, Sawtelle, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, and Venice should all be in the same district which should under no situation connect to Burbank and Glendale.

5. Your pairings in Orange County are very awkward.

6. As a general rule, your district borders are very messy. Try to follow straight lines or natural borders for the most part. You have a tendency to excessively create minority access districts at the expense of logical neighborhood and city pairings.

I think this should address 1-4, I'm unsure how to fix 5, also most of these fixes probably worsened my lines, so some feedback on that would be helpful

Southern LA County:

Eastern CA:

Link to map: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

Further feedback is also welcome, as well as feedback as to whether these changes have addressed the concerns.
MAPZZ
Rookie
« Reply #1121 on: July 26, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »

Finished my map: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

Recommendations welcome, I know that the 10th is ugly, mostly because it was my leftover seat, also the Inland Empire mess is to try to draw more minority access seats.

The 4th is an abomination that should be destroyed in it's entirety, the 13th should drop Half Moon Bay, the 3rd should go all the way to Del Norte County, the 32nd should drop either Long Beach or Venice/Mar Vista, the 26th needs to drop Claremont and Glendora, and the 35th, 41st, 46th, and 48th should be drawn over again from scratch. You don't need to do these insane pairings to get sufficient minority access.

I mostly made these changes but given Claremont and Glendora are in the current 27th, which is basically my 26th, I'm unsure where exactly they belong and which cities I should exchange for them.  The 9th was my leftover seat, and some advice on how to fix that would be helpful, also I'd like to know if the 35th could still use some cleaning up. Made all of the other changes that you suggested.

Map link: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

1. Inyo and Mono counties can only attach to San Bernardino or Kern. This is literally mandated by California state law and any map which connects them west or north is a non-starter. You'll just have to live without that white sink.

2. Pasadena to Glendora to Claremont without including Monrovia/Azusa/San Dimas is also a no go. Just push your 31st district into Monrovia and Claremont and drop precincts in El Monte and Monrovia to compensate.

4. Santa Monica, Sawtelle, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, and Venice should all be in the same district which should under no situation connect to Burbank and Glendale.

6. As a general rule, your district borders are very messy. Try to follow straight lines or natural borders for the most part. You have a tendency to excessively create minority access districts at the expense of logical neighborhood and city pairings.

I think this should address 1-4, I'm unsure how to fix 5, also most of these fixes probably worsened my lines, so some feedback on that would be helpful

Southern LA County:

Eastern CA:

Link to map: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5180a8ee-d24e-48b4-8e6f-83d0f5a041d9

Further feedback is also welcome, as well as feedback as to whether these changes have addressed the concerns.

Lots of aesthetic complaints I could make here, but the one that really stands out is the massive Victorville-to-Roseville district. Surely you can make something a hair more compact.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1122 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »

Southern LA County:

Eastern CA:

You're clearly trying to gerrymander and it's clear that you don't know the geography of the state. For starters the 7th should not be connecting Roseville to the Mojave desert. Also why is the 9th connecting the central valley to the mountains? The 35th is borderline not contiguous, I don't see why it's necessary to dangle that connection into Hemet when you could of just extend east to Yucca Valley. There's also no reason to split Sacramento county that many times you can actually make two districts out of it. The 3rd going from the Emerald Coast all the way inland to Yuba City doesn't really make sense. The 24th going from Palmdale down to Thousand Oaks is an unnecessary distance you should be able to make that more compact.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1123 on: July 27, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »

How can I do San Diego similarly to one of these? I need help here.

This is what I have for San Diego.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1124 on: July 27, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »

How can I do San Diego similarly to one of these? I need help here.

This is what I have for San Diego.

You can do it!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies