2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 12:29:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 92300 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 28, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »

What is that CA-20 supposed to accomplish? Yikes.
Hispanic performance. What else should I try?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #926 on: June 28, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »

What is that CA-20 supposed to accomplish? Yikes.
Hispanic performance. What else should I try?

Try keeping it in two counties instead of four.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #927 on: June 28, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »

There was no way to avoid splitting Fremont without redoing the entire map. It actually worked out fairly well and allowed me to keep Ontario and SLO County whole (while forcing a Ventura split) and keep CA-24 almost entirely out of Los Angeles, but there was no way to effectively cycle population once I reached CA-8.

It's not all bad, though. CA-17 is still Asian majority, with CA-13, 14 and 15 being Asian plurality.

I also made some changes suggested by you guys. Made some swaps in San Diego and also moved some things around in OC to keep Fullerton and Irvine whole. I didn't mind the splits, tbh, but let me know what you guys think.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #928 on: June 28, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »

I think you should have done the OC population rotation counterclockwise instead of clockwise. Also, I think splitting Fremont is much less of a problem than crossing Cajon Pass, but that's up to you.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #929 on: June 28, 2020, 07:26:56 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 10:30:55 PM by ERM64man »

Is this Central Valley map better? Two performing seats. CA-18 is 53% HCVAP and CA-20 is 54% HCVAP. CA-19 is a compact 43% HCVAP swing access seat.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #930 on: June 28, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »

Yes, that's much, much better.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #931 on: June 28, 2020, 08:20:29 PM »

I followed your map. I realized I could split Madera. I decided not to split Merced.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #932 on: June 28, 2020, 08:27:09 PM »

I think you should have done the OC population rotation counterclockwise instead of clockwise. Also, I think splitting Fremont is much less of a problem than crossing Cajon Pass, but that's up to you.

I did that first and I didn't like how it turned out. I'll probably continue making adjustments. If all else fails, I can move things around in the Santa Ana district to loosen it up a bit.

The preferred pairing was Antelope Valley+Victor Valley and it even has the perfect population for a single district, but doing so ended up causing too many problems elsewhere. Victorville+San Bernardino keeps it compact and this part of the High Desert has more in common with the Inland Empire than the further out towns that don't commute to LA or IE.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #933 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »

I followed your map. I realized I could split Madera. I decided not to split Merced.

Splitting Madera is a good idea. I didn't like having to split Merced on my map. If I can find a better way, I'd go with that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #934 on: June 28, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 10:30:30 PM by ERM64man »

Splitting Madera is a good idea. I didn't like having to split Merced on my map. If I can find a better way, I'd go with that.
Try this map.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #935 on: June 28, 2020, 09:49:43 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 09:53:01 PM by Tintrlvr »

I like this grouping, so I tried it out - and I ended up what a red district that was 69K underpopulated. I assume Glenn belongs with it, since that makes things work out for the other districts. However, that 69K is still a problem. So in essence, this map commits to a imperfect Solano cut (the perfect one would be a cut along borders between Vallejo, Benicia and the northeast of the county, but this overpopulates the north), yes?
Exactly. I intentionally left red underpopulated because at this point you have two choices: carve up Vallejo, Fairfield, or Vacaville; or take most of Sutter County (splitting Yuba City), and pushing blue and green south into Sacramento. They're both worth experimenting with and each have their drawbacks, but ultimately I think this has to be the starting point, given Marin/Sonoma, the Emerald Coast, Tahoe/Sac Exurbs, and the Northern Sacramento Valley are such obvious COIs.

One possibility here is moving American Canyon into the Vallejo district. American Canyon is a lot more connected to Vallejo than to Napa anyway. Then move Colusa into the Redding district. Together, that leaves enough room to get all of Vacaville into the Davis-Coast district. That's not perfect (Fairfield still ends up in a Bay-based district), but it's much better than splitting Vacaville or Yuba City.

(I also eliminated the split of Trinity County.)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #936 on: June 28, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »

I like this grouping, so I tried it out - and I ended up what a red district that was 69K underpopulated. I assume Glenn belongs with it, since that makes things work out for the other districts. However, that 69K is still a problem. So in essence, this map commits to a imperfect Solano cut (the perfect one would be a cut along borders between Vallejo, Benicia and the northeast of the county, but this overpopulates the north), yes?
Exactly. I intentionally left red underpopulated because at this point you have two choices: carve up Vallejo, Fairfield, or Vacaville; or take most of Sutter County (splitting Yuba City), and pushing blue and green south into Sacramento. They're both worth experimenting with and each have their drawbacks, but ultimately I think this has to be the starting point, given Marin/Sonoma, the Emerald Coast, Tahoe/Sac Exurbs, and the Northern Sacramento Valley are such obvious COIs.

One possibility here is moving American Canyon into the Vallejo district. American Canyon is a lot more connected to Vallejo than to Napa anyway. Then move Colusa into the Redding district. Together, that leaves enough room to get all of Vacaville into the Davis-Coast district. That's not perfect (Fairfield still ends up in a Bay-based district), but it's much better than splitting Vacaville or Yuba City.

(I also eliminated the split of Trinity County.)

That...actually works incredibly well.

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #937 on: June 29, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »

Where did the compactness score on DRA go? it disappeared when DRA just got updated.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #938 on: June 29, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »

Another option to the above that I found was sticking Tehama in the Yolo-Humbolt seat and then rotating through Sac. Its not perfect as far as compactness goes for CA01, which is now connected by CA routes rather than a interstate, but there is an argument that Tehama, Colusia, and Glenn should stick together.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #939 on: June 29, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »

With Asian districts, why does Pasadena-Arcadia need to be at least 40% Asian but not Garden Grove-Huntington Beach?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #940 on: June 29, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »

With Asian districts, why does Pasadena-Arcadia need to be at least 40% Asian but not Garden Grove-Huntington Beach?

There's no bloc voting or ethnic COI in OC. Most of the San Gabriel Valley is overwhelmingly Chinese and not split between two different political parties.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #941 on: June 29, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »

There's no bloc voting or ethnic COI in OC. Most of the San Gabriel Valley is overwhelmingly Chinese and not split between two different political parties.
What happens if that seat is drawn differently?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #942 on: June 29, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »

Which seat? OC Asians arent entitled to a congressional district by law
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #943 on: June 29, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »

No. Are Los Angeles Asians? CA-27 isn't VRA mandated.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #944 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

No. Are Los Angeles Asians? CA-27 isn't VRA mandated.

California has its own VRA plus the commission guidelines that delineate the importance of providing ethnic communities of interest with districts where applicable. The commission is not going to draw districts that attempt to pit Latinos and Asians against each other when there is no justifiable reason to.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #945 on: June 29, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »

Is it fine to split up larger cities lie Long Beach or Riverside to get better VRA performance?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #946 on: June 29, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

Is it fine to split up larger cities lie Long Beach or Riverside to get better VRA performance?
LB might have to be split.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #947 on: June 29, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »

If Long Beach needs to be split, how should it be done?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #948 on: June 29, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »

If Long Beach needs to be split, how should it be done?

The coastal and eastern portions plus Lakewood can be split and pair with Cerritos and Huntington.

The rest can go with Carson and Compton.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #949 on: June 29, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »

Is it fine to split Hawthorne?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies