2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89047 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: June 24, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »

In addition, the point of reworking the bay area is to avoid the ugly cut of Fremont...not make it worse. Also the essential West Sacramento and Truckee cuts.

The point was to eliminate the Marin-SF district, since everyone hated it, myself included. I re-did it again to not cut Fremont and I think it's better now. What about West Sacramento and Truckee?
he probably wants you to keep west sac with sac, and the lake tahoe area together
Adds additional county splits, but should be easy enough. Actually might be better so that Placer can remain whole.
I still like Marin-San Francisco. I also like the plurality-Asian seat in San Francisco.

There's no reason the 11th should be crossing the bay when you can make a district that makes up the majority of San Francisco

It's to create an Asian seat with CA-12.

Seven Eleven your map is clearly skewed towards democrats like mine is towards Republicans. For everyone I don't think that UC Irvine should be connected to Newport Beach and coastal OC.

Where is my map biased?

And where would you take population from to replace UC Irvine?

You can't take any population from the Hispanic or Asian district, and it has to come from somewhere. Splitting Irvine is the only logical approach here.
You only have four districts that lean Republican it's obviously biased.

How does that indicate bias? Republicans choose to live in Republican enclaves.
It's not that hard to get 3 in Northern CA, 3 in the Central Valley and 3 in Southern California

What 3 in Northern CA? You should have the Tahoe seat and the Far North CA seat. That's it.
CA-1: Del Norte, Siskiyou, Modoc, Trinity, Shasta, Lassen, Tehama, Butte, Plumas, Glenn, Colusa, Lake, Sierra, parts of Nevada
CA-3: Sutter, Yuba, Placer, rest of Nevada, Sacramento suburbs
CA-4: Sacramento suburbs, El Dorado, Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne and Mariposa

No. This needs to be your starting point in Northern CA and after you do that, you aren't getting another GOP district out of the Sac suburbs:

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #701 on: June 24, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »

SD-OC pairing is always bad and if done, should never go further than San Clemente.

Nah. It's better than OC-San Gabriel Valley or OC-Riverside which is usually the alternative. The ideal would be to do just two county splits in the area: San Diego-Riverside and Orange-Gateway Cities but I haven't worked out a good way to do that yet.

My map doesn't have OC-SGV or OC-Riverside.

Don't you have a CA-39 district that includes Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Walnut, Industry, Chino Hills, and so on?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #702 on: June 24, 2020, 10:11:10 PM »

Remember that list I posted a few pages back? Well, i'm going to add to it, since I forgot something. Legal COI priority goes:

- Local lines (counties, cities, neighborhoods)
- Ethnicity, Rage and it's correlating statistics
- Recognized cultural groupings of the previous two groups
- Partisan interests and competitiveness

In fact, the GOP is in a tight place when it comes to the ethnicity category. Since the state likes to maximize racial opportunity, GOP whites often end up as those unintentionally tossed in the minority districts to prevent packing. Thanks to the commission defining COIs as including living standards and income groups, this unintentionally (I believe..) legalizes and encourages the creation and preservation of white packs to facilitate more minority access. Those white packs are most likely to GOP packs.
White packs could benefit the GOP now.  1 in eastern SD, Inland/South OC, SW Riverside, and rural/edurban san bernardino.  Also 3 white packs in the central valley to then draw 3 minority electorate seats (3-3 is fair, the valley voted Trump).  
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #703 on: June 24, 2020, 10:13:38 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=373117.msg7424008#msg7424008 date=1593054667 uid=16104
Quote from:  link=topic=373117.msg7423997#msg7423997 date=1593054257 uid=16104
SD-OC pairing is always bad and if done, should never go further than San Clemente.

Nah. It's better than OC-San Gabriel Valley or OC-Riverside which is usually the alternative. The ideal would be to do just two county splits in the area: San Diego-Riverside and Orange-Gateway Cities but I haven't worked out a good way to do that yet.

Don't you have a CA-39 district that includes Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Walnut, Industry, Chino Hills, and so on?

Yeah but I wouldn't consider the Puente Hills and Chino Hills to be part of the "valley"

I guess it does cut in a little bit with Walnut and Industry but that could change
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #704 on: June 24, 2020, 10:14:28 PM »

Remember that list I posted a few pages back? Well, i'm going to add to it, since I forgot something. Legal COI priority goes:

In fact, the GOP is in a tight place when it comes to the ethnicity category. Since the state likes to maximize racial opportunity, GOP whites often end up as those unintentionally tossed in the minority districts to prevent packing. Thanks to the commission defining COIs as including living standards and income groups, this unintentionally (I believe..) legalizes and encourages the creation and preservation of white packs to facilitate more minority access. Those white packs are most likely to GOP packs.
White packs could benefit the GOP now.  1 in eastern SD, Inland/South OC, SW Riverside, and rural/edurban san bernardino.  Also 3 white packs in the central valley to then draw 3 minority electorate seats (3-3 is fair, the valley voted Trump).  

You aren't getting that Inland/South OC district unless you do something ridiculous like connecting Yorba Linda to San Clemente. Also, any republican SD district will be in North County, not East County. Where is your third valley seat coming from? Your districts should be something like white Bakersfield (GOP), Latino Bakersfield (Dem), Fresno (Dem), Clovis/Visalia/Foothills (GOP), Merced (Dem), and Modesto (Dem).
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #705 on: June 24, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »

Why wouldn't you just keep Sacramento county in exactly 2 districts?
It fits it exactly.

Because West Sac being part of the City of Sacramento district is more important than keeping Arden Arcade and Elk Grove together.
Strongly disagree.  As someone who is quite familiar with this region, the Sac county suburbs are definitely a COI.  Plus, Yolo is kind of its own thing.  West Sac is right by the wetlands, a Yolo/Solano, eastern Contra Costa district would be a nice delta area district.  
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #706 on: June 24, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »

Yeah but I wouldn't consider the Puente Hills and Chino Hills to be part of the "valley"

Eh maybe not. I see the county line as the "crest" of the hills with everything north and south of it being part of the valley. Just like while categorizing regions, I'd put the Hollywood hills north of Mulholland in the SFV. Regardless, I really hate doing OC cuts anywhere except along the border with the Gateway Cities in the Cerritos/La Habra/Artesia area.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #707 on: June 24, 2020, 10:19:37 PM »

The Central Valley voted 47.4 Clinton and 47.1 Trump.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #708 on: June 24, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »

It fits it exactly.

Because West Sac being part of the City of Sacramento district is more important than keeping Arden Arcade and Elk Grove together.
Strongly disagree.  As someone who is quite familiar with this region, the Sac county suburbs are definitely a COI.  Plus, Yolo is kind of its own thing.  West Sac is right by the wetlands, a Yolo/Solano, eastern Contra Costa district would be a nice delta area district.  

You really think putting West Sac which is basically an extension of Downtown Sac in with Vallejo makes more sense than spinning off some of the indistinguishable sprawl east of the city into the Tahoe district? I really don't see why Citrus Heights belongs more with Natomas, for example, than Roseville or Folsom.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #709 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

You aren't getting that Inland/South OC district unless you do something ridiculous like connecting Yorba Linda to San Clemente. Also, any republican SD district will be in North County, not East County. Where is your third valley seat coming from? Your districts should be something like white Bakersfield (GOP), Latino Bakersfield (Dem), Fresno (Dem), Clovis/Visalia/Foothills (GOP), Merced (Dem), and Modesto (Dem).
Yorba to San Clemente isn't any more ridiculous than the current map which puts SD suburbs with OC and Temecula.  Plus it's only fair.  OC deserves at leas 1 GOP seat.  My 3rd valley GOP  district takes part of Harder's district and puts it with the mountains, and then pairs minority stanislaus areas with Stockton to create a 3rd minority seat in the valley.  3-3 is fair, the valley voted Trump overall.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #710 on: June 24, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »

It fits it exactly.

You really think putting West Sac which is basically an extension of Downtown Sac in with Vallejo makes more sense than spinning off some of the indistinguishable sprawl east of the city into the Tahoe district? I really don't see why Citrus Heights belongs more with Natomas, for example, than Roseville or Folsom.
Natomas is in the city of Sacramento, whic should be 1 district. 
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #711 on: June 24, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »

It fits it exactly.

Just put him on ignore like I did; he's clueless.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #712 on: June 24, 2020, 10:23:56 PM »

Yorba to San Clemente isn't any more ridiculous than the current map which puts SD suburbs with OC and Temecula.  Plus it's only fair.  OC deserves at leas 1 GOP seat.  My 3rd valley GOP  district takes part of Harder's district and puts it with the mountains, and then pairs minority stanislaus areas with Stockton to create a 3rd minority seat in the valley.  3-3 is fair, the valley voted Trump overall.

Pairing San Diego suburbs with San Clemente or Temecula isn't ideal, but it's literally unavoidable because San Diego doesn't have the population for a perfect four congressional districts. It's quite easy, on the other hand, to avoid pairing cities at literal opposite ends of Orange County, and OC deserving a GOP district isn't valid redistricting rationale.

Can you show me a map of what you did with Harder's district?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #713 on: June 24, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »

Pairing San Diego suburbs with San Clemente or Temecula isn't ideal, but it's literally unavoidable because San Diego doesn't have the population for a perfect four congressional districts. It's quite easy, on the other hand, to avoid pairing cities at literal opposite ends of Orange County, and OC deserving a GOP district isn't valid redistricting rationale.

This is his map😂

He is literally only here to troll just like the Virginia thread
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #714 on: June 24, 2020, 10:30:07 PM »

This is his map😂

He is literally only here to troll just like the Virginia thread

Ergh. That's bad. Regarding the Central Valley specifically, putting Mono County, Elk Grove, and parts of Stockton/Modesto/Merced in one district is....wrong. I'd really like to look at that with a map underlay to see what is happening in San Joaquin/Stanislaus Counties but the general groupings north of Fresno are weird AF.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #715 on: June 24, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »

Zoom in on LA, lol.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #716 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:57 PM »

Is El Segundo seriously linked to North Hollywood? Ugh.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #717 on: June 24, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 11:35:44 PM by 7️⃣ »

Took the advice of Blairite and Oryx. I'm not happy with district 18 at all, but I think it's a little better than the one on Blairite's map. I'm also a little bothered by some of the groupings for CA-14... I'm open to making some more changes as needed.

CA-12 is plurality Asian, as is CA-17. CA-14 is majority Asian, and CA-15 is plurality Hispanic, but plurality Asian by CVAP (fairly evenly distributed between White, Asian, and Hispanic).

I can probably ditch the majority Asian district to clean up the map from a COI standpoint. I don't think any districts here are VRA protected per Gingles, as there is no demonstrated bloc voting in the bay. Asian isn't even a good grouping, as East Asians and South Asians arent a unified group at all.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #718 on: June 24, 2020, 11:20:54 PM »

You can definitely make an R district in Orange County by taking in mostly coastal OC towns and it makes sense to do this. Avoiding city splits I took in Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente and Aliso Viejo. It also packs in whites and is 55R-45D. Then you can have a Riverside district and a San Diego district. So you can definitely get 3 fair R districts in Socal.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #719 on: June 24, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »

You can definitely make an R district in Orange County by taking in mostly coastal OC towns and it makes sense to do this. Avoiding city splits I took in Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente and Aliso Viejo. It also packs in whites and is 55R-45D. Then you can have a Riverside district and a San Diego district. So you can definitely get 3 fair R districts in Socal.

My coastal district went for Clinton by less than 600 votes. I put Fountain Valley in the Asian district. You can make Republican districts but there is no reason to pursue that over other concerns outside of partisanship.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #720 on: June 24, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »

My coastal district went for Clinton by less than 600 votes. I put Fountain Valley in the Asian district. You can make Republican districts but there is no reason to pursue that over other concerns outside of partisanship.
It takes in like communities, most precincts in Fountain Valley are majority white and I wanted to avoid city splits
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #721 on: June 24, 2020, 11:31:03 PM »

It takes in like communities, most precincts in Fountain Valley are majority white and I wanted to avoid city splits

I don't think adding Fountain Valley would change my district much outside of making the Irvine split uglier.

Let's face it, Republicans are going to get railroaded by this commission and it's going to be glorious. The composition and function of the commission is pretty unfavorable to Republicans given the current political geography. Republicans were handed a major win last time with that bullsh**t CA-47, that won't be the case this time. Population changes have really hurt the GOP. Democrats have no reason to compromise as the Supreme Court is now Democratic. At best, Dems will allow Nunes to stay for a 45-5-2 map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #722 on: June 24, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »

I don't think adding Fountain Valley would change my district much outside of making the Irvine split uglier.

Let's face it, Republicans are going to get railroaded by this commission and it's going to be glorious. The composition and function of the commission is pretty unfavorable to Republicans given the current political geography. Republicans were handed a major win last time with that bullsh**t CA-47, that won't be the case this time. Population changes have really hurt the GOP. Democrats have no reason to compromise as the Supreme Court is now Democratic. At best, Dems will allow Nunes to stay for a 45-5-2 map.

So whats your goal here?
making a truly non partisan/fair map or is to make what you think the commission will lightly D gerrymander?

Im saying this everyone make your map's intentions clear when you draw it and the scenario it has.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #723 on: June 24, 2020, 11:47:21 PM »

So whats your goal here?
making a truly non partisan/fair map or is to make what you think the commission will D gerrymander?

Im saying this everyone make your map's intentions clear when you draw it and the scenario it has.

My map is based on the guidelines the commission is bound to follow. It's not a gerrymander. Basically you have to account for ethnicity, income, localities, and CoIs. Partisanship and incumbency do not play a role.

The commission's map needs the support of 3 Democrats, 3 Republicans, and 3 NPPs. I suspect that a Central valley district might be given to the Republicans at the expense of Valley Hispanics to prevent a court drawn map similar to how they sucked OC Democrats into Los Angeles at the expense of the Asian community.

My point is that Republicans have no cards to play here. California has basically had two decades of GOP gerrymanders, followed by a fair map. They lost a lot of ground over the course of the fair map and population shifts basically lock them in where they are now.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #724 on: June 24, 2020, 11:49:06 PM »

Took the advice of Blairite and Oryx. I'm not happy with district 18 at all, but I think it's a little better than the one on Blairite's map. I'm also a little bothered by some of the groupings for CA-14... I'm open to making some more changes as needed.

CA-12 is plurality Asian, as is CA-17. CA-14 is majority Asian, and CA-15 is plurality Hispanic, but plurality Asian by CVAP (fairly evenly distributed between White, Asian, and Hispanic).

I can probably ditch the majority Asian district to clean up the map from a COI standpoint. I don't think any districts here are VRA protected per Gingles, as there is no demonstrated bloc voting in the bay. Asian isn't even a good grouping, as East Asians and South Asians arent a unified group at all.

Two little things: you might want to figure out a cleaner way to draw the Yuba City area and Orinda/Moraga/Lafayette definitely belong in whatever district Walnut Creek is in.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies