This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:34:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 156615 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3250 on: September 13, 2023, 11:16:06 AM »

I take it this is the “forget higher spending, let’s cut taxes and plug everyone into the Hypercube” comment?

Given the sheer persistence of his ID card evangelism (which, I’ll admit, I’m coming around on), I guess we should have expected him to lean even further into the ‘tech is a panacea’ stuff as he gets older.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3251 on: September 13, 2023, 11:17:31 AM »

I take it this is the “forget higher spending, let’s cut taxes and plug everyone into the Hypercube” comment?

Given the sheer persistence of his ID card evangelism (which, I’ll admit, I’m coming around on), I guess we should have expected him to lean even further into the ‘tech is a panacea’ stuff as he gets older.
When he came to Singapore he still mentioned ID cards in his speech and praised singapores digital ID cards
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3252 on: September 13, 2023, 02:17:12 PM »

When he came to Singapore he still mentioned ID cards in his speech and praised singapores digital ID cards

A country to aspire to, particularly from a left-wing perspective.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3253 on: September 14, 2023, 01:43:44 AM »

I note that a certain former Labour leader and PM has been Saying Things again.

ID cards for robots is the latest vibe from him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3254 on: September 14, 2023, 01:45:17 AM »

The funny thing is that his insight would be most helpful in the North East and how you tackle issues around law and order, immigration and so forth in an election but all he wants to talk about is various policy obsessions.

I wonder if it’s a god thing
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3255 on: September 14, 2023, 01:49:56 AM »

As ever, I don't know what people in this thread are talking about.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3256 on: September 14, 2023, 02:41:15 AM »

Blair brings up ID cards all the time, and is slowly morphing into one of those twitter accounts that shill for all the ways AI can change your life, as part of his pivot towards tech-based solutions. Which he reinforced in some comments this week.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3257 on: September 14, 2023, 03:45:57 AM »

His most "out there" comment was maybe that our next GE campaign will be centred on AI issues. It further adds to the general impression that he hasn't talked to a "normal" person since around 2008.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3258 on: September 17, 2023, 02:24:39 AM »

Blair brings up ID cards all the time, and is slowly morphing into one of those twitter accounts that shill for all the ways AI can change your life, as part of his pivot towards tech-based solutions. Which he reinforced in some comments this week.

Thanks. I guessed that that might be what was being discussed, but it's hard to tell because people love to be so cryptic when talking about events in Britain. For those of us who don't regularly consume British news from other sources and use this forum to know what's going on, it's very frustrating to be kept out of the loop seemingly intentionally. I understand that Britain has different libel laws and sometimes that motivates people to post like this, but surely nobody will be held criminally liable for actually spelling out what it is that Tony Blair said and that he was the one who said it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3259 on: September 17, 2023, 03:26:27 AM »

The first rule of THIGMOO (the nickname for the Labour Movement- see thread title) is to assume that everyone knows what you’re talking about and the second rule is that you can try and sound more impressive if you talk in a vague way with a lot of acronyms.

‘The CLP reported to the NEC that the AMM AGM had rejected the NPF rule around motions being made to the CAC.’
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3260 on: September 17, 2023, 09:52:58 AM »

Thanks. I guessed that that might be what was being discussed, but it's hard to tell because people love to be so cryptic when talking about events in Britain. For those of us who don't regularly consume British news from other sources and use this forum to know what's going on, it's very frustrating to be kept out of the loop seemingly intentionally. I understand that Britain has different libel laws and sometimes that motivates people to post like this, but surely nobody will be held criminally liable for actually spelling out what it is that Tony Blair said and that he was the one who said it.

Apologies since I was the one who set this particular hare running.

But yes, this is very much a GB posters thread in the main!
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3261 on: September 17, 2023, 04:34:05 PM »

I have been approached about standing for a role on the CLP exec. Does anyone with any experience of such matters have any advice?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3262 on: September 17, 2023, 04:46:21 PM »

I have been approached about standing for a role on the CLP exec. Does anyone with any experience of such matters have any advice?

Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3263 on: September 18, 2023, 02:24:50 AM »

I have never done it but if your CLP is well ran and not usually a bin fire it can be quite an interesting role- you basically just meet as an Executive committee and make decisions that will be questioned and undermined by the CLP membership!

I joke- it depends on the role. If you’re appointed as vice chair or one of the roles that doesn’t do anything you’ll just be a vote. If you’re social media officer, or events officer you might have more power to actually run stuff- it’s very much what you choose to do. Some people use exec roles to pad their own CV and prepare for council runs or party positions- others just do it to help.

It can lead to some grief and hassle from people but you shouldn’t hopefully be dealing with that alone.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3264 on: September 18, 2023, 04:26:00 AM »

Secretary or Treasurer are very time-intensive roles and shouldn't be taken up lightly. Pretty much every other role can take as much or as little time as you wish.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3265 on: September 18, 2023, 05:12:12 AM »

‘The CLP reported to the NEC that the AMM AGM had rejected the NPF rule around motions being made to the CAC.’

Bring me my rulebook of burning gold!
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3266 on: September 18, 2023, 05:35:30 PM »

I’ve been Secretary and Chair, I’m glad I did it - it was good experience -  but I wouldn’t do it again without better people around. You can’t do it all yourself & you need to have people with the time/inclination/ability to help - so make sure if it’s any of the top roles you go in knowing the people you will be working with.

If it’s a lower profile role I’d say do it, it’s a good way to get involved without too much work/responsibility.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3267 on: September 19, 2023, 04:55:25 PM »

So, err, the Member for Hackney North seems to have put out a long statement (rambling would be an unkind, but not inaccurate descriptor), essentially saying that Starmer has stitched up the investigation against her.

As ever, I’m not plugged into the TIGMOO mainframe, but based on her pulling all her rhetorical trump cards, and listing all her ‘firsts’, I presume it’s now apparent to her camp that her chances of getting the whip back and/or running again are slipping away?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3268 on: September 20, 2023, 01:33:12 AM »

Ken Livingstone has Alzheimers- his family released a statement.

This is very sad- he is only my parents age and is one of the most important elected figures in THIGMO history imv. Despite the events of recent years he shall forever have my praise for his work supporting the Gay community in London, along with BAME groups and other causes that were not popular. A lot of his ‘radical’ reforms such as grants for LGBT charities, supporting playgroups, civilian monitoring of police and so forth became mainstream New Labour and even Conservative policies decades after he did it.

One of the most skilled politicians and the only Labour one to really get under Thatchers skin too.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3269 on: September 20, 2023, 08:37:30 AM »

Many of us suspected something was wrong when he launched his barely coherent "Hitler" rants back in 2016, this statement only admits it now but between the lines he has clearly had it for some time.

Bringing him back as a comedy act for election night in 2019 now becomes even more distasteful.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3270 on: September 25, 2023, 12:33:31 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2023, 12:36:55 PM by Blair »

Not actually part of THIGMOO but I believe the UCU have in their usual form managed to cancel one of their branches strikes after incorrectly processing some form of paperwork.

Just top level incompetence especially when they’ve hardly had a good year have they?

Unions are doing a hard job in testing times and I would always tell people to join but honestly UCU seems to have all of the worse traits from every union in the U.K rolled into one. Tweeting ‘#ucurising’ is not a strategy.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3271 on: September 26, 2023, 06:54:27 AM »

I note that the anti-Ed briefing from "Labour sources" (though my suspicion remains that in this case singular may be more appropriate than plural) starting again after the Sunak net zero announcement. Though what was the Dennis the Menace comparison all about - aren't they quite a popular character with a lot of people (especially the types *supposedly* sceptical about green stuff)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3272 on: September 26, 2023, 02:59:18 PM »

I note that the anti-Ed briefing from "Labour sources" (though my suspicion remains that in this case singular may be more appropriate than plural) starting again after the Sunak net zero announcement. Though what was the Dennis the Menace comparison all about - aren't they quite a popular character with a lot of people (especially the types *supposedly* sceptical about green stuff)

These leakers sound like vile people, climate action should be a basic principle of the Labour Party. While Labour should want to win, the toxic cynics in Starmer's office seem to judge electability by not getting attacked by the Tories rather than whether the position is popular and defensible to the public. It looks so far like they aren't being listened to fortunately.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3273 on: September 27, 2023, 08:10:48 AM »

As I said, now starting to suspect it is one (fanatically obsessed) person. Who, for whatever reason, has regular access to the Murdoch press.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3274 on: September 27, 2023, 08:13:06 AM »

As I said, now starting to suspect it is one (fanatically obsessed) person. Who, for whatever reason, has regular access to the Murdoch press.

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies