COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:34:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266520 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: May 01, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »

Those two Michigan State Police officers look totally unfazed by the dude yelling in their faces, I'm not sure I could do that, good on them.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1326 on: May 01, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »

Hilldog was telling the truth when she spoke about deplorables. The guy is one of them.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1327 on: May 01, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »

No, these are not "good" people, they are domestic terrorists and should be treated as such.

Roll Eyes ok Rambo

How anyone can think anything other than that about thugs representing a small minority brandishing firearms overlooking an elected representative body in a blatant attempt to intimidate them in contravention of the democratic process, is completely Beyond ration.

"Brandishing" a firearm is a crime. They would have immediately arrested them if they had an excuse such as that. Legally carrying a firearm is not brandishing. If you are sooo scared of firearm that even seeing one triggers you, stay out of public. Especially now bandying around the word "terrorist" is excessive hyperbole and not conducive to intelligent discussion. Its a lazy attempt to shutdown differing views and evoke anger at the "other". It is disgusting and I'd report it if itd do any good. Ive had much less purposefully inflammatory comments infracted for "excessive hyperbole" or "hatefulness".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1328 on: May 01, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »

No, these are not "good" people, they are domestic terrorists and should be treated as such.

Roll Eyes ok Rambo

How anyone can think anything other than that about thugs representing a small minority brandishing firearms overlooking an elected representative body in a blatant attempt to intimidate them in contravention of the democratic process, is completely Beyond ration.

"Brandishing" a firearm is a crime. They would have immediately arrested them if they had an excuse such as that. Legally carrying a firearm is not brandishing. If you are sooo scared of firearm that even seeing one triggers you, stay out of public. Especially now bandying around the word "terrorist" is excessive hyperbole and not conducive to intelligent discussion. Its a lazy attempt to shutdown differing views and evoke anger at the "other". It is disgusting and I'd report it if itd do any good. Ive had much less purposefully inflammatory comments infracted for "excessive hyperbole" or "hatefulness".

Oh please. Quit being such an apologist for thugs. Oh goodie! They didn't actually cock and point their guns at legislate arguing in favor of keeping the shut down! Nothing to see here! Totally business-as-usual compatible with the open expression and exchange of ideas in the legislature why nonviolent needs!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1329 on: May 01, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »

The difference between how most cops view open carry vs. "brandishing" is pretty black and white, tbf.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1330 on: May 01, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »

On a different note, here is some xkcd.

The other big difference is that a lot of the questions our public officials are being asked to address are not questions of science or medicine, but questions of how we should balance competing values. 

In a representative democracy, it is very reasonable to expect that while scientific questions should be answered by experts within the bureaucracy, disputes over competing values should be resolved through democratic deliberation, in which we would ideally like the public to be thoroughly informed.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1331 on: May 01, 2020, 12:57:22 PM »

White privilege: getting called an "armed protester" instead of terrorist.

Ugh. The terroristic threats in Michigan are terrifying. I'm afraid WI is going to imitate it soon. The protestors here a week ago were happily calling Gov. Evers a king and communist and many worse things.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1332 on: May 01, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »

Oh please. Quit being such an apologist for thugs. Oh goodie! They didn't actually cock and point their guns at legislate arguing in favor of keeping the shut down! Nothing to see here! Totally business-as-usual compatible with the open expression and exchange of ideas in the legislature why nonviolent needs!

Some of us carry guns. Yes, all the time. Just because you don't like guns doesn't mean carrying guns is a threat ... let alone terrorism. Or is the terrorism that they opposed the suspension of our fundamental rights and breathed in public without wearing a mask. I've seen so much hateful invective directed at people who support the Bill of Rights these past months its kind of hard to tell why we should "muh killz the terrist protesters!" Quit being an apologist for a comment clearly calling for violence against protesters. What do you think "treat them like terrorists" means in this context?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1333 on: May 01, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »

Hilldog was telling the truth when she spoke about deplorables. The guy is one of them.
Hillary was right about so many things.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1334 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Some of us carry guns. Yes, all the time. Just because you don't like guns doesn't mean carrying guns is a threat ... let alone terrorism. Or is the terrorism that they opposed the suspension of our fundamental rights and breathed in public without wearing a mask. I've seen so much hateful invective directed at people who support the Bill of Rights these past months its kind of hard to tell why we should "muh killz the terrist protesters!" Quit being an apologist for a comment clearly calling for violence against protesters. What do you think "treat them like terrorists" means in this context?

When you say you carry a gun "all the time"...do you carry a gun to the airport?  To a courthouse?  
I am completely shocked that anyone is allowed to take a gun into any state capitol.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1335 on: May 01, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »

If you willfully break into the state capitol, defy social distancing orders during a pandemic, and do this all while knowing the full ramifications of your actions, you are a domestic terrorist in my mind. I wouldn’t want these f***ers to be arrested for several reasons, but they should all be identified and forced to sign a waiver so that they don’t take up hospital beds/ventilators if they get infected in their display of self-pitying egomania.
Quit being an apologist for people who are clearly criminals at best.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1336 on: May 01, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »

Imagine being such a paranoid coward that you think you need to carry a gun everywhere.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1337 on: May 01, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

Imagine being such a paranoid coward that you think you need to carry a gun everywhere.
I mean, in some places which are far away from police departments, I get it. Also if you are a smaller (physically) person in a dangerous area, I would also understand. What I don’t really understand are why these terrorists feel the need to bring their guns to the Michigan State capitol. Are they planning on shooting at the ambulances they block?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1338 on: May 01, 2020, 01:35:53 PM »

When you say you carry a gun "all the time"...do you carry a gun to the airport?  To a courthouse?  
I am completely shocked that anyone is allowed to take a gun into any state capitol.

Haven't flown in years. Dont carry at court because thats illegal, but they also have metal detectors and armed deputies to assume responsibility for your security. Im a government lawyer that takes people to court for taxes, utility debts, and code violations; I also prosecutes doggie death penalty cases ... I do get death threats from time to time. I was also the victim of stalking last year. So sorry my life isn't as boring as others in this thread.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1339 on: May 01, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1340 on: May 01, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2020, 03:50:20 PM by Tintrlvr »

For the fourth day in a row, New York is not the state reporting the most deaths. For three of the past four days, it has been surpassed by New Jersey. (New York was surpassed by Pennsylvania but not New Jersey on April 29.)

This is of course good news for New York, which dropped below 300 deaths a day (to 289) for the first time since March 30 today, down more than half from its peak of 799 deaths on April 9. But not good at all for New Jersey. Also a bad sign for the rest of the country as deaths nationwide are up since April 9 despite the dramatic fall in New York. To put it in perspective, deaths in New York made up not too far short of half of deaths nationwide on April 9 but less than a sixth yesterday, and probably even lower today once we get updates from every state. This is less and less a New York crisis and more and more a national crisis.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1341 on: May 01, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

For the fourth day in a row, New York is not the state reporting the most deaths. For three of the past four days, it has been surpassed by New Jersey. (New York was surpassed by Pennsylvania but not New Jersey on April 29.)

This is of course good news for New York, which dropped below 300 deaths a day (to 289) for the first time since March 30 today, down more than half from its peak of 799 deaths on April 9. But not good at all for New Jersey. Also a bad sign for the rest of the country as deaths nationwide are up since April 9 despite the dramatic fall in New York. To put it in perspective, deaths in New York made up not too far short of half of deaths nationwide on April 9 but less than a sixth yesterday, and probably even lower today once we get updates from every state. This is less and less a New York crisis and more and more a national crisis.

Note that sometimes the numbers are updated at around 6PM EST, so let's wait for the final numbers for today. But yes, good news if this is the case.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1342 on: May 01, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »

Mandatory mask orders continue to spread like wildfire. Governor Baker has now mandated masks in Massachusetts: https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/05/01/coronavirus-mask-order-massachusetts-baker, and Governor Mills has done the same in Maine: https://www.mainepublic.org/post/when-and-where-youre-required-wear-face-mask-under-mills-executive-order. More of our country's major airlines are requiring masks as well: American, Southwest, United, Delta, Alaska, Frontier, and JetBlue are all on that list now (https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/04/30/coronavirus-temperature-scans-and-masks-here-stay-airports/3056659001/). Masks will now be part of the new normal for most Americans, probably for the remainder of the year.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1343 on: May 01, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »

How on earth on guns allowed inside a state capitol?

When the Black Panthers did something similar in the 1960's they were disarmed before their weapons were returned as they broke no laws. The media reported it as an "invasion" of the state Capitol. California quickly changed its gun laws.

and Saint Ronald Reagan was quoted as saying “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”

The Panthers were protesting actual oppression and the United States government then proceeded in surveilling, jailing, or killing every prominent member of the Black Panther Party over the next few years.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1344 on: May 01, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »

How on earth on guns allowed inside a state capitol?

When the Black Panthers did something similar in the 1960's they were disarmed before their weapons were returned as they broke no laws. The media reported it as an "invasion" of the state Capitol. California quickly changed its gun laws.

and Saint Ronald Reagan was quoted as saying “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”

The Panthers were protesting actual oppression and the United States government then proceeded in surveilling, jailing, or killing every prominent member of the Black Panther Party over the next few years.

For the record I'm with the Black Panthers and against Raygun on that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1345 on: May 01, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »

The difference between how most cops view open carry vs. "brandishing" is pretty black and white, tbf.

Literally black and white.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1346 on: May 01, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2020, 04:52:53 PM by pbrower2a »

President Trump may have done the equivalent of injecting Clorox (R) or Lysol (R) into the "veins" of his re-election bid.

Approval only of the President's performance on COVID-19 -- not disapproval. Note the difference in the legend. I am treating anything from 46 to 49% approval as effectively a tie. To be sure, COVID-19 is the focus of most Americans' concerns these days as a clear and present danger to ourselves, or at least to people for whom we care. COVID-19 is about as dangerous as any war for which there is conscription, and I assure you -- I am doing everything possible to dodge its draft! This time, draft-dodging is without qualification a noble act!  

Trump approval:

60% or higher approval
55-59%
50-54%

46-49% (white)
43-45%
41 or 42%
40% or lower

Trump's "best" state is Wyoming, where he gets 59% approval on his handling of COVID-19. As you can see. sixteen states give Trump 40% or lower approval on his handling of COVID-19, which shows Trump in an unflattering light. To be sure, these states have usually been trouble for Trump for other things, but because COVID-19 is the equivalent of war as a clear and present danger, it is the current focus of political life.    

Note that all Governors fare better than Trump in approval in their states (I take that the number for the District of Columbia is for the mayor or the majority of the city council, either Democratic.  

Approval of State governors

Red  - Democrats;  Blue -  Republicans

The saturation is the tens digit of approval (first digit of an approval number. Thus Kristi Noem (R, SD)  gets a saturation of "4" in the color red for 49% approval and David Ige (D, HI) gets only 39% approval and blue at the saturation level of "3". Those two Governors get the worst approval ratings.    

You will notice that Governors of Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont are Republicans and that Governors of Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, and North Carolina are Democrats, and thus we have the anomalous colors for those states.

Source:  http://www.kateto.net/COVID19%20CONSORTIUM%20REPORT%20April%202020.pdf

CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1347 on: May 01, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1348 on: May 01, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2020, 04:48:48 PM by PQG and Libertarian Republican will pimp slap Coronavirus! »

Stop gaslighting. Such disingenuousness is beneath you. You act like this was nothing more than some protesters who just happened to have concealed handguns on them, maybe even some incidental open carry. These were a bunch of radicals thugs cosplaying soldiers. This isn't about the right to carry firearms. This is about blatant and completely undisguised attempt to intimidate legislators. Quit trying to conflate the Second Amendment with such terrorism.

If you really want to die on the hill of claiming well no one pointed a gun or screamed out oh, hey state representative X, I will shoot you if you vote for continuing the shutdown!, then so be it. Everyone else in the country who isn't being a delusional apologist for these idiots embodying the most fundamental threat of our democracy and somehow being second amendment compatible, is delusional.

these people are very eager to try armed intimidation, because the fact remains that pull show vast vast majority of Voters, including even most Republicans I believe, support continuing the shutdown for the immediate future. We've seen such polls repeatedly in this thread. These little cosplay pussies can't win at The Ballot Box, so they're resorting to the bullet box.

The Second Amendment is designed to protect democracy, not be used as an excuse to supplant it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1349 on: May 01, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

Haven't flown in years. Dont carry at court because thats illegal, but they also have metal detectors and armed deputies to assume responsibility for your security. Im a government lawyer that takes people to court for taxes, utility debts, and code violations; I also prosecutes doggie death penalty cases ... I do get death threats from time to time. I was also the victim of stalking last year. So sorry my life isn't as boring as others in this thread.

And good for you. I get it, honestly I do. Also we decided not to get a gun despite concerns about some of the people I prosecuted and their families, but I get it that you do.

But there's a fundamental difference between you are responsible and, generally incidental - - I hope that it will always be the case - - handgun possession for protection, versus what these yahoos clearly did in attempt 2in intimidate or worse elected legislators.

The fact that Michigan state law regarding the capital is so effed up that it is legal to carry a semi-automatic into the bleachers of the State House chamber itself oh, but one can't bring a protest sign into the building - - I'm not exaggerating, a number of individuals protesting Medicaid Cuts in the building in the last year or so were arrested for carrying signs in the building contrary to law - - does not change how deplorable the clear and dangerous signal they actively attempted to send to legislators is.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies