COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:05:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266510 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: May 01, 2020, 06:38:18 AM »

Now they are saying we may be dealing with this for several more years. Are we still planning to shut the economy down into the mid 2020s now?

And after that I bet we will shut the economy down every winter due to seasonal cold and flu until 2030 when we are all required to wear hazmat suits everywhere.

"Dealing with" is an extremely broad term.  We've been dealing with the flu and the rhinovirus for eons.  

I know that you're extremely concerned about the personal economic impact of these stay-at-home orders, jimmie.  But it's out of our hands and we have to trust in the scores of brilliant minds devoting every waking minute to developing treatments, chasing down vaccines, etc. etc.  

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1301 on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »

Now they are saying we may be dealing with this for several more years. Are we still planning to shut the economy down into the mid 2020s now?

And after that I bet we will shut the economy down every winter due to seasonal cold and flu until 2030 when we are all required to wear hazmat suits everywhere.

We're not. We'll figure out a way to minimize risks and get back to our social and economic lives. Probably not in the exact same way as before, but a lot better than the current situation. Right now we need some time to study the virus and prepare for post lockdown management of the pandemic. Please don't think that "we need lockdowns now" and "the virus is not going away" means "we need lockdowns in perpetuity".

I am opposed to all the states reopening up next week. But right now it is like we have no plan on what to do to reopen the economy effectively.

Only thing I see is people proposing indefinite debt.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1302 on: May 01, 2020, 06:44:30 AM »

We're not. We'll figure out a way to minimize risks and get back to our social and economic lives. Probably not in the exact same way as before, but a lot better than the current situation. Right now we need some time to study the virus and prepare for post lockdown management of the pandemic. Please don't think that "we need lockdowns now" and "the virus is not going away" means "we need lockdowns in perpetuity".

I am opposed to all the states reopening up next week. But right now it is like we have no plan on what to do to reopen the economy effectively.

That ship sailed a long time ago. 
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1303 on: May 01, 2020, 06:44:37 AM »

On a different note, here is some xkcd.

Hopefully I haven't been playing too much armchair epi on here.  Hell, I've been extremely hesitant and unwilling to give even common-sense medical advice. 

To me the point of the comic is that some armchairing is not a bad thing. In fact, it's completely human that we try to think and reason about this even if we're not experts... As long as we understand that we know less than people who've studied this their whole lives and probably shouldn't confidently promote the first thing that pops into our heads as THE SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING.
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1304 on: May 01, 2020, 06:51:47 AM »

Yes, it seems the US had no decent plan at the federal level, and isn't really making one. Luckily some states seem to be picking up the slack.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1305 on: May 01, 2020, 06:54:57 AM »

We are just opening up states with terrible planning based on arbitrary dates.

How is this going to turn out well?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1306 on: May 01, 2020, 07:24:35 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2020, 08:50:38 AM by texasgurl »

We are just opening up states with terrible planning based on arbitrary dates.

How is this going to turn out well?

COVID-19 deaths by race and ethnicity in the U.S.
The latest available COVID-19 mortality rate for Black Americans is 2.5 times higher than the rate for Latinos, 2.6 times higher than the rate for Asians, and 2.7 times higher than the rate for Whites.

Furthermore, in some places, the multiple between Black and White mortality rates greatly exceeds the 2.7 overall figure that we’ve constructed from all available data for the nation. In Kansas and Wisconsin, Black residents are 7 times more likely to die than White residents. In Washington D.C., the rate among Blacks is 6 times higher than Whites, while in Michigan and Missouri, it is 5 times greater.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1307 on: May 01, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »

This week will literally be the worst news week of my life.

We should have taken action in January and Feburary not the end of March.

Now the federal guidelines are expiring? We didn't we have a nation wide lock down earlier?

A second spike is now at a 100% chance. We have no way around it. We are headed to a second great depression.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1308 on: May 01, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1309 on: May 01, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »

No, these are not "good" people, they are domestic terrorists and should be treated as such.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1310 on: May 01, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »

Governor Whitmer just extended the state-of-emergency for Michigan until May 28th. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1311 on: May 01, 2020, 09:08:21 AM »

The only way we get back to solvency is creating a situation where there are no longer any creditors to pay. Is that what you want?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1312 on: May 01, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »

The only way we get back to solvency is creating a situation where there are no longer any creditors to pay. Is that what you want?

Not sure if that was directed to me or jimmie, but my point is that this country was already in a de facto state of permanent debt; it's been obvious for some time that there is no political appetite for the combination of tax raises and spending cuts that would eventually bring the budget back into balance, let alone pay down the existing debt.  Personally I'm OK with this state of affairs.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1313 on: May 01, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »

We are men of science Jimmie, we fear no worldly terror. Pitch that attitude skyward lad, sharpish!

New Zealand and South Australia are talking about elimination.

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus-australia-sa-wa-and-nt-flagged-as-potential-international-travel-hubs-c-1008979

Once summer hits in the US, your numbers will drop dramatically.

And in great news for teachers, UK scientists are yet to find any cases involving child to adult transmission:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/29/no-case-child-passing-coronavirus-adult-exists-evidence-review/

So something about children makes them less capable of hosting the virus. These are both very positive outcomes.

It's already a fact that hot weather does not stop the virus. if it was, then the virus wouldn't exists in places like Singapore.

And then there's this:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/expert-report-predicts-up-to-two-more-years-of-pandemic-misery/
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1314 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »

The Oxford vaccine trials have started, they started injecting volunteers last week, they said in 6 weeks we can expect results of efficacy and side effects, if it works they plan to try to get emergency authorization

Which would mean it'd be ready by the end of the year. Hopefully we can avert or heavily reduce the chances of a second outbreak.

They said if the results in mid-June are very good we could get it by September, some manufacturing companies are already starting to manufacture the vaccine candidate in the event it proves successful. We'll also get initial data sometime in May

Media here are reporting there are currently 7 different potential vaccines in human testing already. 3 Chinese, 2 American, 1 German and the Oxford one. Various fairly serious people seem to think that between those ones and a few others that have been succesful in animal testing means that having a vaccine available before the end of the year is a real possibility.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1315 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »

It's already a fact that hot weather does not stop the virus. if it was, then the virus wouldn't exists in places like Singapore.

The virus appears to be hindered by hot weather and uv light.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1316 on: May 01, 2020, 09:41:50 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't we have the unemployment number by now?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1317 on: May 01, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »

The Oxford vaccine trials have started, they started injecting volunteers last week, they said in 6 weeks we can expect results of efficacy and side effects, if it works they plan to try to get emergency authorization

Which would mean it'd be ready by the end of the year. Hopefully we can avert or heavily reduce the chances of a second outbreak.

They said if the results in mid-June are very good we could get it by September, some manufacturing companies are already starting to manufacture the vaccine candidate in the event it proves successful. We'll also get initial data sometime in May

Media here are reporting there are currently 7 different potential vaccines in human testing already. 3 Chinese, 2 American, 1 German and the Oxford one. Various fairly serious people seem to think that between those ones and a few others that have been succesful in animal testing means that having a vaccine available before the end of the year is a real possibility.

Yes! The world has never been so focused on creating a vaccine. The top scientists everywhere are working on it 24/7, and Bill Gates and Mike Bloomberg are promising to fund research and manufacturing. The Oxford one has been in development for several years and has already been tested for safety, and results on effectiveness are expected this month.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1318 on: May 01, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't we have the unemployment number by now?

It's scheduled for next Friday: https://www.bls.gov/schedule/news_release/empsit.htm

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1319 on: May 01, 2020, 09:57:08 AM »

There are 115 potential COVID-19 vaccines being tested, 78 of which are on the FDA list.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1320 on: May 01, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »

No, these are not "good" people, they are domestic terrorists and should be treated as such.

Roll Eyes ok Rambo
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1321 on: May 01, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1322 on: May 01, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »

The real number of COVID deaths in the US is probably much higher already, 130.000 to 150.000 - if you factor in people dying at home.

Those people are not showing up in the daily hospital and nursing home statistics.

Not likely.

Doctors are complaining  in hospitals of deaths due to other causes being reported as Corona-virus, that is every mortality regardless when co-morbidity is the major cause.

There are not 90,000 corpses sitting in homes around the USA......I hope.

Based on my numerical observations, Germany and the US datasets are reasonably clean.

Autopsies and chemistry results are not being conducted on tens of thousands of unquestionably covid-19 cause deaths. Infinitely more likely to depress the actual results then these supposed anecdotal issues of some doctors somewhere supposedly saying covid-19 are being over reported.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1323 on: May 01, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »

On a different note, here is some xkcd.

Hopefully I haven't been playing too much armchair epi on here.  Hell, I've been extremely hesitant and unwilling to give even common-sense medical advice. 

To me the point of the comic is that some armchairing is not a bad thing. In fact, it's completely human that we try to think and reason about this even if we're not experts... As long as we understand that we know less than people who've studied this their whole lives and probably shouldn't confidently promote the first thing that pops into our heads as THE SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING.

Slightly belated welcome, and you should post much more often. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1324 on: May 01, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »

Roll Eyes ok Rambo

How anyone can think anything other than that about thugs representing a small minority brandishing firearms overlooking an elected representative body in a blatant attempt to intimidate them in contravention of the democratic process, is completely Beyond ration.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies