New Hampshire 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:42:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New Hampshire 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: New Hampshire 2020 Redistricting  (Read 11946 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2022, 09:03:31 AM »

I mean on paper, the Sununu plan looks more fair? And honestly gives Pappas a much better chance.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »

I mean on paper, the Sununu plan looks more fair? And honestly gives Pappas a much better chance.

I thought fairness is about partisanship? If NH is a light blue state shouldn't it have 1 R and 1 D?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2022, 11:58:59 AM »

I thought fairness is about partisanship? If NH is a light blue state shouldn't it have 1 R and 1 D?

Theoretically. The question is how to achieve that: two competitive seats or 1 D-leaning and 1 R-leaning. The former has precedent. Really, it's a case of small state's lacking the districts to draw enough seats to get a recognizable outcome. 
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »

Fairness is about partisanship in red states. In blue states, it only matters if geography favors Republicans.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »

Biden NH by almost 8, so isn't the new districts like Biden +4 and Biden +11? That's basically right in the middle of the result.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2022, 12:55:00 PM »

Biden NH by almost 8, so isn't the new districts like Biden +4 and Biden +11? That's basically right in the middle of the result.

Any map would be like that. Not sure why PA has to be 9 Biden seats but 8 Trump but now somehow 2 Biden and 0 Trump seats in NH is fair.(It is fair by my rules but I am calling you out)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »

Any map would be like that. Not sure why PA has to be 9 Biden seats but 8 Trump but now somehow 2 Biden and 0 Trump seats in NH is fair.(It is fair by my rules but I am calling you out)

+1000%

If you support proportionality in redistricting you should support the Sununu plan at the minimum, and perhaps even the legislative plan since it locks in that proportionality more strongly.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2022, 01:36:34 PM »

+1000%

If you support proportionality in redistricting you should support the Sununu plan at the minimum, and perhaps even the legislative plan since it locks in that proportionality more strongly.

At the very least a plan like this is what Wbrocks should be supporting. Still a bad plan but atleast less ugly.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2022, 01:54:43 PM »

Theoretically. The question is how to achieve that: two competitive seats or 1 D-leaning and 1 R-leaning. The former has precedent. Really, it's a case of small state's lacking the districts to draw enough seats to get a recognizable outcome. 

The bolded is key. If we can't agree whether 1 blueish and 1 reddish seat is fair or two slightly blueish seats are fair, let's go with a least change map, the type of map that has endured since the 1800s (when political coalitions/geography in NH were obviously very different). This map has existed till now and a 1-1 is, in fact, possible for the GOP under it. Ifromnj knows fully well that what the NHGOP is trying to do is get themselves one solid seat, having realized Pappas will make it difficult to get his seat unless they redden it up: and in the process, they are proposing unprecedented maps that unnecessarily break starkly from the maps that have been used for a very long time. It's not like there's been any wild population changes that a lot of changes are necessary to maintain equal population - the Democratic map has a very small deviation, and it moves one (1) town, a purely nonpartisan and least change map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »

The bolded is key. If we can't agree whether 1 blueish and 1 reddish seat is fair or two slightly blueish seats are fair, let's go with a least change map, the type of map that has endured since the 1800s (when political coalitions/geography in NH were obviously very different). This map has existed till now and a 1-1 is, in fact, possible for the GOP under it. Ifromnj knows fully well that what the NHGOP is trying to do is get themselves one solid seat, having realized Pappas will make it difficult to get his seat unless they redden it up: and in the process, they are proposing unprecedented maps that unnecessarily break starkly from the maps that have been used for a very long time. It's not like there's been any wild population changes that a lot of changes are necessary to maintain equal population - the Democratic map has a very small deviation, and it moves one (1) town, a purely nonpartisan and least change map.

Of course I know what the NH GOP is trying to do. It's a gerrymander to get 1 seat as R leaning as possible.
Of course it is, but Wbrocks also defended the fact the PA map splits Berks to prevent any competitive SEPA seat other than Fitzpatrick's. So its not really about competition either for him.

Also IMO the current set up is kinda weird and IIRC from anti Catholic sentiment similar to Rhode Islands map which everyone agrees is bad.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »

Of course I know what the NH GOP is trying to do. It's a gerrymander to get 1 seat as R leaning as possible.
Of course it is, but Wbrocks also defended the fact the PA map splits Berks to prevent any competitive SEPA seat other than Fitzpatrick's. So its not really about competition either for him.

Also IMO the current set up is kinda weird and IIRC from anti Catholic sentiment similar to Rhode Islands map which everyone agrees is bad.

I understood the first paragraph, but no offense, the second paragraph was utterly incomprehensible to me. Anti-Catholic sentiment? Rhode Island? What??
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2022, 03:25:46 PM »

I understood the first paragraph, but no offense, the second paragraph was utterly incomprehensible to me. Anti-Catholic sentiment? Rhode Island? What??
You said the map hasn't been changed for a very long time. IIRC the origins for the map was to split up the Catholic(Democratic) vote just like how Rhode Island's maps have split up Providence for decades. Everyone agrees that Rhode Island's map is pretty bad.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »

Historically, the 1st and 2nd districts split up Nashua and Manchester to dilute the influence of working-class Irish Catholic voters. This was obviously truer in the early 20th century than it is today.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2022, 03:37:18 PM »

Historically, the 1st and 2nd districts split up Nashua and Manchester to dilute the influence of working-class Irish Catholic voters. This was obviously truer in the early 20th century than it is today.

You said the map hasn't been changed for a very long time. IIRC the origins for the map was to split up the Catholic(Democratic) vote just like how Rhode Island's maps have split up Providence for decades. Everyone agrees that Rhode Island's map is pretty bad.

Oh...thank you for educating me. Well, nonetheless, at this point I don't think keeping the old maps is being done with malignant or anti-Catholic sentiment, and what the GOP is doing is a blatant gerrymander. I do think, however, that Sununu's map might be a reasonable compromise. Either the Democratic least-change map or the Sununu compromise map is fine, just not the GOP gerrymander.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2022, 03:54:41 PM »

So the Sununu map is still making CD 1 more Republican by trading out some blue towns in northern Carroll county and some blue trending suburbs/exurbs for more reliably red ones in southern Rockingham. That being said it's not an awful map, and you can make a decent argument for it on competitiveness grounds.

This is better for the GOP than the least change map, but as always never underestimate the willingness of the State House GOP backbenches to lose a mile rather than give an inch. The leadership is on the same page as Sununu this time at least, so more likely than not it passes, but I will be interested to see if there are many defections (I expect some at least).
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2022, 01:17:52 PM »

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »

Likely a least change map then. Courts rarely make big changes.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »

I mean in this case least change = less than 5 towns, maybe only 2 changing districts. Would be a repeat of CT.

However:

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »

Especially with like 150 year precedent
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »

I mean in this case least change = less than 5 towns, maybe only 2 changing districts. Would be a repeat of CT.

However:

Glorious news!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2022, 01:43:37 PM »

However:

Glorious news!
Glorious news indeed!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2022, 02:14:49 PM »

Kinda hoping they change the current map into a suburban Boston seat and a rest of state seat.

No matter what, both seats will likely be simillar in partisanship so not too much at stake from a partisanship perspective
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2022, 02:41:42 PM by Nyvin »

The NH democratic plan literally moved 1 town (Hampstead) from one district to the other,  I don't see why the court wouldn't put that map into place.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2022, 01:08:25 PM »

As noted, court order basically appears to have forced the partisans hands and are now going with whatever can get the votes, so as to avoid the 'horror' of a map where only a single town changes districts.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2022, 06:06:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies