COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 09:57:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116771 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:13 PM »

If Trump is unwilling to do it, why aren’t governor’s seizing control of factories in their states and forcing them to produce covid tests?
Why aren't social deviants rounded up and placed in internment camps?

Because i'm not a governor or the president.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2026 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »

Do we think the Chinese did this by releasing it by accident from a lab? My distaste for the Chinese government is exponentially growing.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2027 on: April 17, 2020, 10:42:10 PM »

Do we think the Chinese did this by releasing it by accident from a lab? My distaste for the Chinese government is exponentially growing.

There is literally no evidence to suggest that. So no.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2028 on: April 17, 2020, 10:44:41 PM »

What about the intelligence being reported that suggests that? That government is vile so I wouldn't put it past them.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2029 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love your charts, and I don't doubt your knowledge, but why is your chart showing Italy's active case numbers falling but on worldmeters...

Meclazine is imputing recoveries.

If you are testing positive, within 14 to 21 days, you will either be dead or recovered.

When you are tested, there will be triage. If you are suffering severe respiratory discomfort you'll be hospitalized. You will either be rolled out on a gurney, walk out, or perhaps taken home to recuperate further.

Otherwise you will be told to go home and quarantine isolated even from your family. Keep hydrated watch your temperature, and stay inside. Your family will likely also be tested.

It is unlikely anyone will do followup or officially report a recovery.

Yup, Jim is spot on and phrased it better than i could.

Basically, after testing, you are deemed positive or negative.

Three weeks ago, say Mar 25, sick people presenting in Italy got tested and they had, up until that date, 74,300 positive tests.

What I am saying is that out of that 74,000, they may have had 5-14 days of symptoms before being tested. So after a further 14 days, we are looking at someone who is 19-28 days post initial infection.

I am saying that after 19-28 days, you are either a recovery or a mortality statistic.

So underneath each graph, I list recoveries. For Italy, I have added 73,400 recoveries slowly increasing across the data.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

The Active Cases on my plot and the Daily Death Rate on their graph both peaked on March 28-30.

If you look at the World-o-metres graph, it will never peak, because of low levels of reporting recoveries. All of a sudden, Italy will report 100,000 recoveries on one day.

Wait and watch.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2030 on: April 17, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »

This thing has been in bat's for thousands of years is the most likely explanation.

But under any normal circumtance, it has (had) no mechanism to go from bat to human.

It finally made the switch through an intermediary animal. (i.e. Pangolin)

It is way too early to suggest otherwise.

Unfortunately, thanks to conspiracy theorists on Facebook, we are about to get 2-3 months of this lab story presented to us. I am already seeing that people are posting things that support their hatred of China rather than presenting any scientific modelling or facts.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2031 on: April 17, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »

What about the intelligence being reported that suggests that? That government is vile so I wouldn't put it past them.
Except most US don’t think that happened.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/covid-19-origin-lab-general-mark-milley

I posted a while back on here why it’s extremely unlikely for it to be a lab accident. The genomes of the Covid-19 virus and the coronaviruses being used at the Wuhan Virology Institute also don’t match.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/theory-coronavirus-accidentally-leaked-chinese-lab-2020-4%3famp

US intelligence is investigating this for obvious reasons, but it doesn’t appear likely to be true. What probably happened is that FOX has a terrible source, as usual.

Look, I hate to say it, but the touting of such a theory seems more like an attempt to shift attention from this country’s s**t response to an easy scapegoat.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2032 on: April 17, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »

This thing has been in bat's for thousands of years is the most likely explanation.

But under any normal circumtance, it has (had) no mechanism to go from bat to human.

Unfortunately, thanks to conspiracy theorists on Facebook, we are about to get 2-3 months of this lab story presented to us. I am already seeing that people are posting things that support their hatred of China rather than presenting any scientific modelling or facts.
I would bet money on it being a pangolin. Wuhan is a hub of the illegal pangolin trade, so it’s likely some worker got infected and spread it while asymptomatic. I bet it may have not even started at the Huanan market and probably spread around the city before that discovery.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2033 on: April 17, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »

You are right, but you can't tell me you don't want to see blood for this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2034 on: April 17, 2020, 11:03:44 PM »

If Trump is unwilling to do it, why aren’t governor’s seizing control of factories in their states and forcing them to produce covid tests?
Why aren't social deviants rounded up and placed in internment camps?

I'm sorry, but if you think temporary state planning of industrial production is morally or politically equivalent to throwing people in camps, you're out of your mind.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2035 on: April 17, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2020, 04:52:27 AM by Meclazine »

The best position to maintain on the genetic origin of the COVID-19 virus is to be educated about the evolution of viruses from Animals to Humans.

Here are two lecture sets to help bring you up to speed, no matter how much you think you know, or at what level your viral knowledge extends to.

Specific Viral Genome identification to track the origin of the 1918 Spanish Flu has been done.

Michael Worobey, Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, The University of Arizona

The Genesis of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Klc3DPdtk

Bruce E. Fleury Ph.D. - Tulane University

1918 Spanish Flu: A Conspiracy of Silence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MHT5xTkL2g

(and then click on lectures 2 and 3)

Bruce is a bit of a dork, but he does explain things quite well when it comes to the question of getting a virus to switch from an animal to a human. The exact questions asked here constantly are covered in his 3 part lecture series. He just does not turn his head relative to his shoulders or change the expression on his forehead. But he is super-intelligent on pandemic related science.

In his 3rd lecture in this series, he answers the question about China in terms of volume of birds, pigs and bats.

I find most epidemiologists painful to listen to, but these two do not upset as much.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2036 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:59 PM »

So it seems that antibodies aren't working in fighting the virus, according to the WHO.

Not remotely close to what they said

Don't be so quick to proliferate disinformation

Here is the article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/04/17/coronavirus-antibodies-may-not-make-you-immune-who-warns/#5d603d4d133a

Oh wow. What a far better scenario.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2037 on: April 18, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2020, 02:52:03 AM by Calthrina950 »

This hasn't been commented much on here, but I'm sure people have noticed how the initial mask "advisories" and "recommendations" are rapidly turning into mandatory "requirements". Cuomo made mask-wearing mandatory in New York a few days ago. Governors Wolf of Pennsylvania and Lamont of Connecticut have also made it mandatory in those states; parts of California (i.e. Riverside County, Bay Area) mandated mask-wearing weeks ago; and municipalities throughout the country have begun requiring it as well.

Yesterday, in Colorado, Governor Polis made mask-wearing mandatory for all essential employees in the state: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Critical-workers-must-wear-mask-569742921.html. He has not yet made it mandatory for all Colorado residents, but some parts of the state (i.e. Routt County) are apparently starting to do so, and it wouldn't surprise me if Polis eventually follows suit, like he did with his stay-at-home order after the Denver metropolitan area began implementing them. At the rate things are going, the majority of Americans will soon be required to wear masks in public, which is a good thing, but one that I didn't think I would see happen here, and which hasn't happened in about a century.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2038 on: April 18, 2020, 03:00:46 AM »

From an Austrian newspaper:

"GREAT NATION" tumbling

Corona and the moment of truth for the United States

From the forklift to the mortuary: Terrible pictures from New York that evoke memories of medieval conditions in Europe when the plague raged. The US metropolis does not master the corona plague and has to dig emergency graves. (Image: AP)

Corpses on forklifts, mass graves in excavated pits: how could it get this far in the United States?

The corona pandemic exposes US weaknesses that would otherwise be outshone by the country's praises as a global powerhouse. This is not without consequences. Donald Trump likes to call the United States the “greatest country” in the world.

The largest, greatest, best nation with the strongest economy, military superiority, the smartest minds and superiority in virtually every area. The US president generally has a penchant for superlatives. But other Americans also tend to exuberance when it comes to their own country.

However, more than ever, the corona pandemic brutally exposes deficits in the “land of unlimited opportunities”.

(...)

Millions Without Health Insurance: A Significant Part of US Society Is Not Health Insurance. According to a November census, around 27.5 million Americans had no health insurance in 2018 - 8.5 percent of the population. Many of the millions who lost their jobs due to the Corona crisis in the past few weeks are now adding because they are also losing their health insurance.

A sick health system: Health costs in the US are higher than in many other countries in the world. Simple visits to the doctor quickly cost hundreds of dollars, visits to the hospital astronomical amounts, and medication is sometimes many times more expensive than elsewhere. Paying for treatment for the coronavirus yourself, possibly with a longer hospital stay, can plunge people into a financial disaster without reserves.

Life from paycheck to paycheck: The US Federal Reserve reported last May that about 40 percent of Americans either couldn't cope with an unexpected $ 400 expense or would have to borrow money or even sell property to do so. That means that a broken washing machine or damage to the car is a major financial problem for many Americans in normal times. In the corona crisis, which is killing many jobs, the problem is exacerbated because many simply do not have the savings to make up for lost wages.

Story continues ...

https://www.krone.at/2138536
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2039 on: April 18, 2020, 03:32:41 AM »

I can't wait for the explosion in new cases here in Florida after seeing those Jacksonville pics. Why they decided to reopen the day we recorded the highest number of cases yet is beyond me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2040 on: April 18, 2020, 04:32:33 AM »

Ron DeSantis is the mayor from Jaws, isn’t he?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2041 on: April 18, 2020, 06:28:50 AM »

Actually that would be Boris Johnson, who has unironically stated that the mayor from Jaws is his role model.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2042 on: April 18, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »

They don't have the guts. They'd rather whine and complain.

Who is whining and complaining? They're just saying that the federal government should be doing its job and leading this - and they're not. And they're right about that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2043 on: April 18, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »

I can't wait for the explosion in new cases here in Florida after seeing those Jacksonville pics. Why they decided to reopen the day we recorded the highest number of cases yet is beyond me.

And then seeing that pic of the beaches crowded just minutes after reopening.... what a joke. DeSantis is a fool and Florida is going to suffer b/c of it.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2044 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »

Actually that would be Boris Johnson, who has unironically stated that the mayor from Jaws is his role model.
^In 2006. Not that the timeline makes it much better. I'm just sick of the Independent dredging up out-of-context quotes for some 'woke' clickbait. They used to do decent journalism, but since they went online-only and became dependent on clicks, they've basically become a low-rent British Buzzfeed.

Here's the quote in full. While stupid, he was clearly just making a bizarre analogy. For crying out loud, the man wasn't even Mayor of London at this point, just a lowly backbench opposition MP, railing against the Blair government:
The real hero of Jaws is the mayor. A gigantic fish is eating all your constituents and he decides to keep the beaches open. OK, in that instance he was actually wrong. But in principle, we need more politicians like the Mayor. We are often the only obstacle against all the nonsense which is really a massive conspiracy against the taxpayer.

https://www.indy100.com/article/coronavirus-news-boris-johnson-jaws-hero-lawyer-9418346
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2045 on: April 18, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »

And then seeing that pic of the beaches crowded just minutes after reopening.... what a joke. DeSantis is a fool and Florida is going to suffer b/c of it.
"Fool" may be too generous.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2046 on: April 18, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »

Who is whining and complaining? They're just saying that the federal government should be doing its job and leading this - and they're not. And they're right about that.

I know they're right, but they need to do something about it, because they know Trump won't.

That's why they need to press the factories into service.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #2047 on: April 18, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »

Maga folk: "LOL, chillax bro, it's just the common cold!"

Meanwhile, Roger Stone:

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2048 on: April 18, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »

Revised further downward to 60,000 deaths.

Never should have shut the economy. Stupid overreaction.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2049 on: April 18, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »

Revised further downward to 60,000 deaths.

Never should have shut the economy. Stupid overreaction.

THIS 👏 IS 👏 WHY 👏 IT 👏 WAS 👏 REVISED 👏 DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies