Can we have a thread for positivity and good news?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:35:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can we have a thread for positivity and good news?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Can we have a thread for positivity and good news?  (Read 7761 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2022, 09:31:43 AM by The Trump Virus »

I’m unable to quarantine.

I also suffer from extreme anxiety and a huge germophobe.

I’ve avoided the news as much as possible, and even this forum. But I can’t shake it, the bad news is everywhere.

Is there any good happening in general in the world today?  Any good news as far as coronavirus is concerned? Anyone want to share reassuring thoughts, news, statistics, etc.?

I’m finding it hard to stay optimistic about my future, the vulnerability of my older loved ones, and the world.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-researcher-in-Marseille-posts-successful-Covid-19-coronavirus-drug-trial-results

A French epidemiologist, who is one of the most cited authorities in the world, has found that a malaria drug called chloroquine is showing very promising results. This drug has also been in use for a long time so it's well studied. We need to be doing trials on this ASAP.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »

I was just notified that UW-Madison has cancelled all in-person contact for the rest of the semester, and everything is to transition to online-only service, if possible. That means, my contact with other people will be minimal until at least September.

This is going to be maddening, so I need that thread too, lol.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

I'll see my way out then...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »

We can watch news coverage and sitcoms than being saturated by sports. Soaps, talk shows and CW DC comics are gonna get more viewership
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »

I’m a 911 dispatcher and unable to quarantine.

I’ve avoided the news as much as possible, and even this forum. But I can’t shake it, the bad news is everywhere.

Is there any good happening in general in the world today?  Any good news as far as coronavirus is concerned? Anyone want to share reassuring thoughts, news, statistics, etc.?

I’m finding it hard to stay optimistic about my future, the vulnerability of my older loved ones, and the world.

I can't say if there's good news (I've gotten tired of following the news at this point) but Atlas is a sh**tshow, though for me personally that's a big part of the reason I'm here--I have a place where I don't care what people think and can freely debate (and argue) and not worry about interpersonal consequences.

If things on Atlas are getting to be too much then personally I'd recommend taking a break from it and finding something happier to do, as I've done during the few times when I've got to that point (after the election being an example.)

I don't know if you have a twitter but one thing you could do (which is what I've done) is just fill it with hobbies and stuff of interest, and simply block any and all current event or political accounts (it's not really a bad place once you get out of the political stuff and certain fandoms), so you have somewhere to go to escape and de-stress.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »

A major piece of good news is that China appears to have successfully managed to almost entirely get rid of COVID-19 in their country.

That shows us that this is at least possible, and hence there is very real reason to hope that we might be able to achieve similar results until some sort of vaccine/treatment comes along. And perhaps we might be able to do so with less less and with non-permanent measures. Over time if we can develop much (much) greater testing capacity, less and less stringent measures may be necessary to control the spread of the virus.

For example, Singapore seems to have not entirely contained it, but to have done so to a significant extent with substantially less stringent measures than China. So, if we could do the same thing as Singapore is doing most of the time, in theory it might be possible to keep the spread of the virus very low for most of the time, and then maybe once every 3 months or so have a 2-3 week lockdown to ensure things don't get out of control, and then have another period of 3 months of normal life, and so on.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »

I’m a 911 dispatcher and unable to quarantine.

Is there any good happening in general in the world today?  Any good news as far as coronavirus is concerned? Anyone want to share reassuring thoughts, news, statistics, etc.?

Here ya go.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

On the first page is positive info on the virus.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/10-positive-updates-on-the-covid-19-outbreaks-from-around-the-world/
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »

From the link above.

1) US Researchers Deliver First COVID-19 Vaccine to Volunteers in Experimental Test Program
2) Distilleries Across the United States Are Making Their Own Free Hand Sanitizers to Give Away for Free
3) Air Pollution Plummets in Cities With High Rates of Quarantine
4) Johns Hopkins Researcher Says That Antibodies From Recovered COVID Patients Could Help Protect People At Risk
5) South Korean Outbreak Finally Abating as Recoveries Outnumber New Infections for Three Days in a Row
6) China Celebrates Several Milestones of Recovery After Temporary Hospitals Close and Parks Reopen
7) Australian Researchers Testing Two Drugs as Potential ‘Cures’ for the Virus
Cool Uber Eats is Supporting the North American Restaurant Industry By Waiving Delivery Fees for 100,000 Restaurants
9) Dutch and Canadian Researchers Are Reporting Additional Breakthrough Research on Treating the Virus

10) Here Are a Bunch of Other Ways That People and Businesses Are Supporting Each Other Throughout the US Outbreak
Dollar General has announced that they will be devoting their opening hour of shopping time to elderly customers. Athletes and sports teams are pledging to pay the wages of arena employees during the shutdown.

Utility companies, landlords, automakers, and internet providers are waiving a number of late fees and payments to ease the financial burden of the shutdown. School districts across the country are still opening their doors to serve meals to kids and families.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 10:04:57 PM »

Watch comedy series and TV shows, and stay away from news channels.

I cannot watch Australian news for more than 15 seconds a day now. It is flooded with flashing red drama, critical , urgent, huge, surprising, banned, catastrophic, massive, outrage, drastic, warning messages of doom.

I totally get what you are saying. It's just overload.

Time for some movies. No ads.

I like Married at First Sight to take my mind off the virus, and it works:

Episode 26 and 27 recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GKrJEVayQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYLO9pATf6Y

Just absolute random stupid light-hearted comedy is what is needed sometimes.

Also swimming get's your mind off things. For some reason, running doesn't work as well.

But I find running and swimming for 3-4 hours a day a great way to freshen up, you can do it with social distancing, and you feel fit and healthy afterwards.

Start looking at opportunities when this is subdued in July, and making a goal towards that day.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »

1) Possibility this does go down in the summer months because of the weather.  If you look at the maps of the virus spread it does seem to be spreading much faster in colder climates.  Everyone needs to be cautious but we can be hopeful that it's seasonal.

2) Trump's going to lose re-election so we'll have an adult as President again to handle a crisis.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfItWcGzdQA

We are going to get through this.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 12:54:05 AM »

This cracks me up time and again. The kid is so cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqD51sosJI
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:45:27 AM »

Sometime in the past, a number of people reacted positively to an image of ducklings.
Enjoy ...

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 05:54:14 AM »

Looks like the Chinese have found an antiviral that works https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »

George RR Martin says he's gone into self-isolation and is writing daily. 
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »

I’m glad to see replies in this thread.

Working in public safety means I can’t stay at home, and it’s even more difficult with anxiety.

So I appreciate the posts here.

I have a feeling I’m going to be looking for constant reassurances during this period.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

In a world with UFC fighting, Boxing and Wrestling, it's hard not to not think about professional sports. This is the way it has to be, so be it.

Chris Matthew's was right to retire when he did
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 07:17:58 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Sometime in the past, a number of people reacted positively to an image of ducklings.
Enjoy ...

Squeee (do people still say that?)! I love ducks! I was probably one of those people who reacted positively. They're my second favorite animal! This actually takes me back. I used to own a duck until my left my mom and dad left it outside and it flew into the street and got hit by a car...now, I'm sad. I can't have anything...I told them it knew how to fly, even as it was still an infant, and they didn't believe me!

Seriously, I'll leave now. I really am the antithesis to this thread.

In a world with UFC fighting, Boxing and Wrestling, it's hard not to not think about professional sports. This is the way it has to be, so be it.

Chris Matthew's was right to retire when he did

Real quick though, I know this is an Olawakandi post here, but...what?!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »

LOL!
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 03:23:53 AM »

Have a song just loaded with happy vibes.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 03:41:03 AM »

LOOK, A WAGON WHEEL

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2020, 10:18:29 PM by Meclazine »

Corona-virus is just social media causing a panic for no reason.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=250423502787093
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 06:28:33 AM »

Chefs across the US are transforming their restaurants into relief centers for laid off restaurant workers

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-restaurant-workers-relief-trnd/index.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies