Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:49:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Author Topic: Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread  (Read 16376 times)
Soaring_Eagle
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2020, 04:30:08 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2020, 04:43:12 AM by Soaring_Eagle »

Vice President - Corporatist Woman of Color to pander to minority voters

Secretary of State - Corporatist war hawk bribed by the arms industry to start a new war
in the Middle East

Secretary of the Treasury - Corporatist corrupt banker bribed by stockholders

Attorney General - lifelong Corporatist career politician with no legal background

Secretary of the Interior - Corporatist Hispanic to pander to Hispanic voters

Secretary of agriculture - Biden Family Member with extra nepotism
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »

Secretary of State - Corporatist war hawk bribed by the arms industry to start a new war
in the Middle East

Attorney General - lifelong Corporatist career politician with no legal background

A Trump supporter complaining about corporatism, warhawks, shamelessly pandering to minorities, corruption, lack of qualifications, and nepotism is really something.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »

That would require a congressional waiver; retired military officers have to be out of the military for 7 years before they are eligible to be SecDef. They granted it for Mattis, but many of the members of Congress voting on it said it should be a "once in a generation" thing.

Biden could push it through, and Congress would go along with it with little trouble. But the position is meant for civilians, not career military officers. Civilian control of the military is an important principle to uphold, even moreso when so many Americans have little connection to the military and can be overly deferential to it.

McRaven would be just 6 months short of the 7 year period. I doubt he would meet much resistance for approval. McRaven is a highly qualified and a highly ethical individual who I think would be a great SecDef and help restore the US’s image. Alternatively he could fit somewhere else into Biden’s cabinet. Perhaps National Security Advisor, education secretary given he was the chancellor of a the UT system, or even CIA director. But I think disqualifying someone of his caliber simply based on that principle is highly irresponsible and would be wasting someone of his caliber in service of this country.
McRaven is great and accomplished and would do a good job. But he's not indispensable. There's no reason Michèle Flournoy or Robert Work wouldn't do just as well.

But yeah if Biden wants McRaven, and McRaven wants to serve again, there's a lot of other good positions available.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »

Has anybody mentioned Janet Yellin for Treasury Secretary?  I know she's 74, but it would make up for her not being reappointed as Federal Reserve Chair due to Trump's virulent sexism.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2020, 02:10:25 PM »

Steve Mnuchin is going to stay on as Biden's Secretary of the Treasury?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2020, 09:45:35 PM »

in the Middle East

Trump's VP - evangelical fundamentalist to pander to evangelical fundamentalists

Trump's SoS - facilitates arms sales to authoritarian regimes like Saudi Arabia to start wars in the Middle East

Trump's Treasury Secretary - corrupt investment banker who ruined people's lives during the financial crisis

Trump's AG - white shoe corporate lawyer who worked for big telecom companies

Trump's Interior Secretary - oil company lawyer

Trump's Agriculture secretary - factory farmer representing Big Ag interests
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2020, 08:16:06 AM »

Let me put an idea forward: Anthony Brown for Secretary of Defense. Decent pick or terrible pick?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »

That would require a congressional waiver; retired military officers have to be out of the military for 7 years before they are eligible to be SecDef. They granted it for Mattis, but many of the members of Congress voting on it said it should be a "once in a generation" thing.

Biden could push it through, and Congress would go along with it with little trouble. But the position is meant for civilians, not career military officers. Civilian control of the military is an important principle to uphold, even moreso when so many Americans have little connection to the military and can be overly deferential to it.

McRaven would be just 6 months short of the 7 year period. I doubt he would meet much resistance for approval. McRaven is a highly qualified and a highly ethical individual who I think would be a great SecDef and help restore the US’s image. Alternatively he could fit somewhere else into Biden’s cabinet. Perhaps National Security Advisor, education secretary given he was the chancellor of a the UT system, or even CIA director. But I think disqualifying someone of his caliber simply based on that principle is highly irresponsible and would be wasting someone of his caliber in service of this country.
McRaven is great and accomplished and would do a good job. But he's not indispensable. There's no reason Michèle Flournoy or Robert Work wouldn't do just as well.

But yeah if Biden wants McRaven, and McRaven wants to serve again, there's a lot of other good positions available.

Am I the only one who wants Jack Reed for SoD?
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:37 PM »

A Trump supporter complaining about corporatism, warhawks, shamelessly pandering to minorities, corruption, lack of qualifications, and nepotism is really something.

Indeed. Do these shills realize that Trump's GOP was the only major party to host a convention speaker who had been forced to pay damages for racial discrimination because he was discriminating against white people?

Lmao who is that?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »

Indeed. Do these shills realize that Trump's GOP was the only major party to host a convention speaker who had been forced to pay damages for racial discrimination because he was discriminating against white people?

Lmao who is that?

You're from GA right you should know.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »

Lmao who is that?

You're from GA right you should know.

Lol, I was trying to look it up but couldn’t think of the proper wording for google, so thanks. I had forgotten about that. That man is a lunatic.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2020, 08:43:52 PM »

Honestly I feel like no CEO or anyone with corporate ties should be anywhere near consideration for a cabinet position.

Good luck with this one.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed but who could be possible senior advisors to Biden?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2020, 03:19:27 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/joe-biden-transition-team/index.html

Democratic nominee Joe Biden is expanding his transition team, adding a former presidential rival, vice presidential contenders and top Obama administration policy hands in new leadership and advisory roles.

Biden is adding four co-chairs alongside his long-time confidant and former Delaware Sen. Ted Kaufman: Jeffrey Zients, the top Obama economic adviser who was tasked with rescuing the floundering HealthCare.gov website; New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who Biden considered for the vice presidential nomination; Louisiana Rep. Cedric Richmond, a top Biden surrogate and national co-chair of his campaign; and Anita Dunn, a senior campaign adviser.
He has also tapped a 15-person advisory board, which includes a one-time 2020 Democratic presidential rival, former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

<snip>

Others on the advisory board are Tony Allen, the president of the historically Black Delaware State University; veteran Biden economic adviser Jared Bernstein; former assistant attorney general Leslie Caldwell; former US ambassador to Romania Mark Gitenstein; environmentalist Cecilia Martinez; former Veterans Affairs secretary Bob McDonald; veteran Democratic operative Minyon Moore; labor leaders Teresa Romero of the United Farm Workers and Lonnie Stephenson of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers; Cathy Russell, a former Jill Biden chief of staff who Obama named to a new position: ambassador-at-large for Global Women's Issues; and Felicia Wong, the president of the Roosevelt Institute.
Biden's transition team is also building out its day-to-day staff, which is managed by Yohannes Abraham.

Cynthia Hogan, a long-time Biden aide and former Apple lobbyist who helped lead his vice presidential search process, is among a group of eight new senior hires being added to that staff. Other additions include Cecilia Muñoz, the head of the Obama White House's Domestic Policy Council; as well as Democratic political and policy veterans Tanya Bradsher, Suzy George, Don Graves, Jessica Hertz, Tara McGuinness and Darla Pomeroy. Graves and Pomeroy are also former Biden staffers.

At least some of the people on this transition team might end up in Biden's cabinet, right?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed but who could be possible senior advisors to Biden?

Chris Dodd and Cynthia Hogan?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »

All I ask is that he chooses Warren for something. Please.

Or even better, choose Warren AND Pressley
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »

Warren is more useful in the Senate imo.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »

Not to me.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »

I suspect MM hopes he chooses both Warren and Pressley so JKIII can take the former's Senate seat.  Wink

I'd agree with your assessment for most Cabinet roles, but if she were offered Secretary of the Treasury, that'd be a job worth taking.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »

I suspect MM hopes he chooses both Warren and Pressley so JKIII can take the former's Senate seat.  Wink

What a ridiculous take. Not sure what would give you that impression 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »

Chris Dodd and Cynthia Hogan?

Chris Dodd should be put out to pasture. He shouldn't have been involved in the VP selection process and he certainly does not deserve to be in any government position ever again.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2020, 01:22:35 PM »

https://thehill.com/policy/515581-biden-pick-creates-furor-underscoring-bitterness-over-obama-immigration-policy

Immigration advocates are livid over the Biden transition team’s addition of Cecilia Muñoz, a former Obama administration official who was the public face of that administration’s immigration policy.

Muñoz, who once served as the head of former President Obama’s White House Domestic Policy Council, was named by the Biden campaign Friday as part of a group of eight new senior transition advisers.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »

Probably Valerie Biden Owens and Mike Donilon
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2020, 05:43:23 PM »

in the Middle East

This is ultimately an establishment, corporatist, insider-NeoLib JO megathread.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2020, 07:52:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies