Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 08:10:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread  (Read 16470 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »

Anyway, let's wait & see who he actually nominates to what positions. There's nothing wrong with considering qualified people who just happen to have an (R) next to their name. As long as they & Biden are on the same page regarding whatever subject the agency they'd be named to head covers, it'll be fine.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »

Meg Whitman and Jeff Flake are big no nos.

People shouldnt make a big deal out of this as Trump did hire Democrats like Mike Flynn and considered Tulsi Gabbard ,Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Manchin as potential cabinet appointments.

My only concern is that Biden doesn't go over the top with bipartisanship and compromise to a point where he undermines the democratic agenda.

John Kasich and Charlie Baker who probably won't accept anyway are both solid picks.

Also no bankers or financial elite in the administration, I don't have too much on Biden on this but I have a little more faith that the Senate Dems will say no to this especially Warren, Sanders, Sherrod Brown and a couple others
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2020, 01:08:14 PM »

Republicans aren't evil.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »

I don't even really consider any of these people real Republicans anymore. When you endorse the opposite party's presidential nominee, you're essentially dead to your party.

In any event, I'd be pleased with these appointees as long as they weren't major posts. Baker in particular would give us an easy gubernatorial pickup in 2022. Maybe he can give Sununu or Phil Scott some ambassadorship too.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »

McRaven, who has now formally endorsed Biden, could well be a top choice for SecDef.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »

That's unfortunate.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »

Biden pretty clearly has a set of Republicans he'd like to highlight as "what the Republican party should be"

Not too surprising to see him "considering" them for his cabinet.  If nothing else it boosts their profile.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »

This is me being super cynical, but I dont think Republicans deserve any special treatment from the next Administration with how they enabled Trump so much these past four years. Let them sit alone in the corner and think about what they've done.
Brandern
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »

It seems like Biden really views it as his role to reunify the Republic.

Let's just hope that Republicans don't use his kindness to undermine him within government.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »

Hot take:

Buzz

« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »

Reestablishing the Swamp
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »

I think, aside from Trump, there are always reports of candidates adding opposing party members to their cabinets. Didn't Obama also look at Republicans for his cabinet?

My point is, it rarely happens.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »

dent would be alright
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »

I think, aside from Trump, there are always reports of candidates adding opposing party members to their cabinets. Didn't Obama also look at Republicans for his cabinet?

Obama had two in his initial cabinet, Robert Gates and Ray LaHood, and then added two others later: Chuck Hagel as Gates' replacement at defense and Robert MacDonald at Veteran's Affairs.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »

Every administration has its obligatory other-party Cabinet member, usually in some boring post like Transportation (Norm Mineta, Ray LaHood, etc).

Trump did not do this, but of course a lot of his own people he brought in were (ex-)Democrats (Steve Mnuchin, Wilbur Ross).
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »

Every administration has its obligatory other-party Cabinet member, usually in some boring post like Transportation (Norm Mineta, Ray LaHood, etc).

Trump did not do this, but of course a lot of his own people he brought in were (ex-)Democrats (Steve Mnuchin, Wilbur Ross).

Trump was ahead of his time. He brought in people who left and then turned into supporters of his opponent after they left/were fired.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »

Biden pretty clearly has a set of Republicans he'd like to highlight as "what the Republican party should be"

Not too surprising to see him "considering" them for his cabinet.  If nothing else it boosts their profile.

If he earnestly wants the Republican Party to move in that direction, manoeuvres like this are almost certainly counterproductive given how much GOP energy currently revolves around doing the opposite of whatever "the libs" want.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »

Obama had two in his initial cabinet, Robert Gates and Ray LaHood, and then added two others later: Chuck Hagel as Gates' replacement at defense and Robert MacDonald at Veteran's Affairs.

Well, Gates was a carry over from Bush's administration. LaHood though, you're right.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »

Good move. Some sane Republicans would be an addition to the cabinet. Especially John Kasich, Charlie Dent and Charlie Baker would be excellent. I'd love to have Arnold involved, but doubt he's interested in any official role.

Jeff Flake is still a very conservative guy, but I would offer him an ambassadorship abroad of his choice. I think he's a good person and was treated very unfairly by Trump.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:42 PM »

McRaven, who has now formally endorsed Biden, could well be a top choice for SecDef.

Eh, he'd still need a waiver like Mattis, & I really don't wanna make a habit of appointing recently-retired flag officers. Feels like being led down a bad path.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

Well, Gates was a carry over from Bush's administration. LaHood though, you're right.

I mentioned that earlier, Gates agreed to stay on to see 'the surge' through.  However, Obama was not obligated to keep him.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

If this is just Biden's way to say that he explored the option of appointing Republicans for the sake of unifying or whatever

It is. Remember when he said he was open to a Republican running mate? Same thing. It's a smart move.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »

I'm sure Kasich will make a fine ambassador of Czechia.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »

I recall there being whispers after the 2012 election that he considered Romney for the Commerce Department
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2020, 02:08:51 PM »

There are a lot of retired Republicans who had nothing to do with the Trump years who would make fine picks in the cabinet or infrastructure. Same for the three Governors who have pretty consistently defied Trump, or ex-Governors like Brian Sandoval. He's not going to give an inch to the Trump team, but don't be surprised that he gives a nod to some people who were far more enthusiastic about his candidacy than the Berners ever were.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies