Super Tuesday Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:10:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Super Tuesday Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 94
Author Topic: Super Tuesday Results Thread  (Read 96170 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: March 04, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »

Interesting stuff out of CO:

Notice: Michael Bennet, Pete Buttigieg, John K. Delaney and Amy Klobuchar officially withdrew as candidates for the Democratic Party.

Under Colorado law, any votes cast for candidates who formally withdraw after ballots are printed are invalid and shall not be counted.

As a result, no results for these candidates will be displayed on this state results page or any individual county results page.

Ballots cast in the D primary: 755.264
Ballots cast in the R primary: 638.584

Total ballots cast: 1.551.042

Total ballots cast include 157.194 votes that were NOT cast in the DEM & GOP primaries (= invalid votes) !

If we exclude the regular couple thousand invalid votes in every election, it means that Buttigieg and Klobuchar combined for some 155.000 votes.

755.000+155.000 = 910.000 votes cast in the D primary

Bottom line: Buttigieg and Klobuchar got some 17% combined in CO.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1976 on: March 04, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »

Notice: Michael Bennet, Pete Buttigieg, John K. Delaney and Amy Klobuchar officially withdrew as candidates for the Democratic Party.

Under Colorado law, any votes cast for candidates who formally withdraw after ballots are printed are invalid and shall not be counted.

As a result, no results for these candidates will be displayed on this state results page or any individual county results page.

Total ballots cast include 157.194 votes that were NOT cast in the DEM & GOP primaries (= invalid votes) !

If we exclude the regular couple thousand invalid votes in every election, it means that Buttigieg and Klobuchar combined for some 155.000 votes.

Yes, and it also means Bernie got closer to 30% of the vote than the reported 36%.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1977 on: March 04, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »

Yes, and it also means Bernie got closer to 30% of the vote than the reported 36%.

By my calculation, it is:

30% Sanders (36%)
19% Biden (23%)
17% Bloomberg (21%)
17% Pete/Amy (0%)
14% Warren (17%)
  1% Gabbard
  2% Others
n1240

« Reply #1978 on: March 04, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

How often is CA going to update? They haven't pushed an update since this morning

Varies by county, some like to do daily updates in the afternoon/evening (usually the bigger counties), some will only update all their outstanding in one large batch. Usually county websites (again particularly larger counties) will announce reporting schedules. Orange County will post new results at 5 pm PST for example.

By the end of the week we should have a statewide report of the number of ballots in each county left to county.

In the past they've posted the following day, idk where it is though. Orange county has some 150k VBM to count and an unknown amount of provisionals.

https://www.voteinfo.net/
125k VBM 50k provisional 10k damagerin Riverside

https://www.livevoterturnout.com/SanDiego/LiveResults/en/Index_8.html
350k in San Diego

LA County I'd guess at least 1 million, maybe even 1.5 million
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1979 on: March 04, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »

It will take 5 weeks until all votes are counted in CA.

There are millions of mail ballots left to process.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1980 on: March 04, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »

LA County has yet to count my vote, which I dropped off on Sunday, so I imagine they have a lot left to count.
Dorko Julio

« Reply #1981 on: March 04, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »

The AP has called Maine for Joe Biden.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1982 on: March 04, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

By my calculation, it is:

30% Sanders (36%)
19% Biden (23%)
17% Bloomberg (21%)
17% Pete/Amy (0%)
14% Warren (17%)
  1% Gabbard
  2% Others

Judging by the results in CA and UT, where Pete got more than double the share of Amy, we can further assume that Pete got around 12% of the vote in CO and Amy 5%.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1983 on: March 04, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »

Fun fact: it looks like Julian Castro (and to a lesser extent Rocky de la Fuente) got a fair number of votes in the Rio Grande Valley.

Looks like the same is happening in Imperial County, CA.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1984 on: March 04, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »

Who did people Britney Spears’ age vote for?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1985 on: March 04, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2020, 04:34:40 PM by PA is Lean D »

I really don’t see how anyone could look at last night and not think that Bernie had a bad result. He’s still in the game, thanks to California, but he lost three of his best 2016 states to Biden and barely scraped together a majority of the votes in Vermont after beating Hillary there by 72 points four years ago.

Uncle Joe is back in the driver’s seat and political scientists will be talking about this comeback for a long time.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1986 on: March 04, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »

If Bernie sweeps every contest but LA, GA, MS, DEL and MO, he will have a lead in pledged delegates and that's with some states Biden cant reach 15 percent
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1987 on: March 04, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »

The California exit poll has been readjusted:

Sanders 35 (-3)
Biden 24 (+1)
Bloomberg 14 (+2)
Warren 13 (-2)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1988 on: March 04, 2020, 04:35:20 PM »

The California exit poll has been readjusted:

Sanders 35 (-3)
Biden 24 (+1)
Bloomberg 14 (+2)
Warren 13 (-2)

Are they calculating for mail-ins as well or is this just Election Day?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1989 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »

Is it good news for Bernie or biden that warren and bloom are below viability in ca?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1990 on: March 04, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »

Is it good news for Bernie or biden that warren and bloom are below viability in ca?

It's good news for both, but I'd guess that Bernie benefits the most.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1991 on: March 04, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »

isn't it pretty much always better for the person in the lead for less people to have viability as they will get a larger share of the delegates.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1992 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »

The Green Papers estimate for Sanders net delegates gain is 59. This is with neither Bloomberg or Warren making the 15% threshold. If Bloomberg gets to 15% that number will drop.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1993 on: March 04, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »

I'm yet to see any evidence that there's room for progressives in the Democratic Party. It seems most, if not all of Viden supporters want us wiped out.

Throughout this thread you’ve said you might’ve considered Biden but with the attitude a lot of posters have shown you’re rethinking that.

So you’re basing your November vote on people being nice to you? Of course there’s room for you and other progressives in the party. We want you here. This is your average online community where the minority is very vocal and the majority aren’t. It’s not indicative of the nation as a whole. Don’t base your presidential choice on what happens here.

I can point to a dozen people on here who said they won't vote for Sanders because his people weren't nice to them. Why should Ibe any different?

First off, to nitpick, there are hardly any Democrats who support Biden saying they won't support Sanders as the nominee. While you might find a few self-proclaimed moderates / never Trump Republicans / Independence, Etc saying that. Actual Democrats who support Biden but Proclaim they will never support Sanders are extremely rare, verging on unheard of. Unfortunately, Sanders supporters promising to sit out the election if Biden is the nominee oh, well maybe not a majority, are a very strong and loud minority.

Secondly, because anyone that voices such an opinion, whether a Biden supporter or Sanders supporter, is it best losing their sense of perspective, or towards just acting like a dingleberry. Rise above. Smiley
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1994 on: March 04, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1995 on: March 04, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »

Question: Did Maine used rank-choice voting for the DEM PRES PRIM this Year?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1996 on: March 04, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »

Question: Did Maine used rank-choice voting for the DEM PRES PRIM this Year?

No.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1997 on: March 04, 2020, 08:15:04 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2020, 08:27:10 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I haven't commented on the results since yesterday but what has become clear to me after the absolute insanity that was last night, overall is how the primary process can warp our perceptions of a primary race. Wall of text incoming!

Biden's biggest adversary in this primary was the calendar. Had more diverse primaries started earlier Biden probably wouldn't have looked so weak before South Carolina. Of course another problem was the large field but even when taking that into account Biden's wins last night in southern states probably still would have been significant if Buttigieg and Klobuchar stayed in. So that's only a small factor. I expect that the DNC will take a very long and hard look at improving the schedule for next time around which would prioritize more representative states and the ending of caucuses, finally. The largely increased turnout and massively altered dynamics in many of those states that previously held caucuses should indicate nothing but positivity from ending the asinine, outdated caucus system.

And speaking of caucuses; it may sound harsh, but it is evident that Bernie Sanders' revolution was an illusion for these past four years. It's sense of purpose is somewhat inflated. His success in 2016 was largely due to not being Hillary Clinton, and succeeding in caucuses. I always thought that was true, but it is more than confirmed after last night. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to the revolution part, he still had an impact on the general direction of the Democratic Party in shifting it leftward and becoming a leader within it. Just look at how Medicare-for-All fares in exit polls among Democratic primary voters, even by those who rejected Sanders. Sanders was still rejected though and that's probably because his agenda has become more popular, but he as the figure to deliver on it is not, outside of his base. Democratic voters seem to be separating their idealism and their sense of urgency this year with the latter taking priority. Urgency to defeat Trump and pass whatever pragmatic means possible of moving the country forward rather than going all-in on an ideologically pure agenda seems to be what Democratic voters actually want, and that as much as anything is what helped cause such a surge for Biden. Biden is still perceived as the safer choice for defeating Trump, even in spite of his many flaws and not being perceived as having the enthusiasm that Sanders does. he is basically an avatar for that cause. he is the generic Democrat that people say they will vote for in those polls.

Sanders' attitude towards the party also may not have helped either. Loyal Democrats probably did not take kindly to his confrontational attitudes towards "the establishment." Many voters might interpret themselves as part of that often maligned "establishment" and would probably have preferred a sentiment of wanting to lead the party rather than take it over out of Sanders and his supporters. That ought to explain why he is losing voters registered as Democrats by double digits again.

Furthermore, even in spite of the more crowded primary than 2016, at least half of Sanders' voters from last time around are either no longer Democrats, went to other candidates, or are being overwhelmed by new Democratic voters; namely well-educated suburban voters.

That's how I saw last night's events. I'm sorry but Sanders did not instill any of the confidence that I needed to support him in this primary. He is not delivering on the surge in turnout he keeps promising and his coalition is clearly more limited than he thinks. Sure, you can blame Elizabeth Warren for how she may have muddled the contests but whatever effect she had with vote-splitting was countered by Bloomberg being a potential spoiler for Biden. In a way, it was a two-way race last night and Sanders severely under-performed. Biden has the larger and more consistent coalition. Granted, he ought to address his weaknesses with Latin voters and younger voters as much as possible even in spite of his surprise victories happening with little to no effort. Even then though, Biden supposedly won younger voters in southern states and is bound to do well with older Cuban voters in the Florida primary versus Sanders, so it isn't that cut-and-dry.

After last night's drubbing I am about 90% there when it comes to supporting Biden. I want to see if he can continue to come across as competent in the next debate and see him refine his attacks on Trump a bit more to be about more tangible ways that Trump has been toxic for our nation and its people. If he can do those two things, I will vote for him when the New Jersey primary comes up in June. It might not even matter though, Biden might be the presumptive nominee by then. Sanders losing those states that voted for him last time really disrupted his path to the nomination, even in spite of winning the nation's state with the most delegates. At the very least I am just happy that there may not be a contested convention after all. I was dreading that more than anything else, recently.

Also one last thing: what the f*** was up with American Samoa voting for Bloomberg? Has anybody come up with an explanation for that!?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1998 on: March 04, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »

I'm yet to see any evidence that there's room for progressives in the Democratic Party. It seems most, if not all of Viden supporters want us wiped out.

Throughout this thread you’ve said you might’ve considered Biden but with the attitude a lot of posters have shown you’re rethinking that.

So you’re basing your November vote on people being nice to you? Of course there’s room for you and other progressives in the party. We want you here. This is your average online community where the minority is very vocal and the majority aren’t. It’s not indicative of the nation as a whole. Don’t base your presidential choice on what happens here.

I can point to a dozen people on here who said they won't vote for Sanders because his people weren't nice to them. Why should Ibe any different?

First off, to nitpick, there are hardly any Democrats who support Biden saying they won't support Sanders as the nominee. While you might find a few self-proclaimed moderates / never Trump Republicans / Independence, Etc saying that. Actual Democrats who support Biden but Proclaim they will never support Sanders are extremely rare, verging on unheard of. Unfortunately, Sanders supporters promising to sit out the election if Biden is the nominee oh, well maybe not a majority, are a very strong and loud minority.

Secondly, because anyone that voices such an opinion, whether a Biden supporter or Sanders supporter, is it best losing their sense of perspective, or towards just acting like a dingleberry. Rise above. Smiley

This doesn't actually address anything I say.  There is no room for progressives in the Democratic Party.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #1999 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »

Progressive Pessimist, you are 1000% correct on everything you said.

If Democrats has simultaneous national ranked choice instant runoff open primaries...

2016 would’ve been a quick Hillary bloodbath, with Sanders making a futile and modest showing in the rural west, north west, New England and upper midwest. Sanders loses Washington, Nebraska, while narrowly winning Minnesota, Maine, Colorado, and Utah. Clinton pads her Iowa and Nevada wins, while perhaps picking up Michigan, Indiana, and Montana because Sanders wouldn’t have the early calendar to prove himself.

2020 would’ve been a modest nationwide Biden win, finishing at least top 3 in all contests (especially Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire).
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 94  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies