Super Tuesday Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:29:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Super Tuesday Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 94
Author Topic: Super Tuesday Results Thread  (Read 96420 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: March 04, 2020, 06:33:42 AM »

US equity futures markets up 2% mostly on significant lower chances of a Sanders Presidency
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1901 on: March 04, 2020, 06:35:36 AM »

I'm yet to see any evidence that there's room for progressives in the Democratic Party. It seems most, if not all of Viden supporters want us wiped out.

Throughout this thread you’ve said you might’ve considered Biden but with the attitude a lot of posters have shown you’re rethinking that.

So you’re basing your November vote on people being nice to you? Of course there’s room for you and other progressives in the party. We want you here. This is your average online community where the minority is very vocal and the majority aren’t. It’s not indicative of the nation as a whole. Don’t base your presidential choice on what happens here.

I can point to a dozen people on here who said they won't vote for Sanders because his people weren't nice to them. Why should Ibe any different?

I guess it come down to whether Democrats will be able to unify in an effort to oust Trump from the White House (that is: if that's their top priority versus electing *their* ideal candidate). 

And what about those who believe the current Democratic Party will never listen to them at all?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1902 on: March 04, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »

I'm yet to see any evidence that there's room for progressives in the Democratic Party. It seems most, if not all of Viden supporters want us wiped out.

Throughout this thread you’ve said you might’ve considered Biden but with the attitude a lot of posters have shown you’re rethinking that.

So you’re basing your November vote on people being nice to you? Of course there’s room for you and other progressives in the party. We want you here. This is your average online community where the minority is very vocal and the majority aren’t. It’s not indicative of the nation as a whole. Don’t base your presidential choice on what happens here.

I can point to a dozen people on here who said they won't vote for Sanders because his people weren't nice to them. Why should Ibe any different?

I guess it come down to whether Democrats will be able to unify in an effort to oust Trump from the White House (that is: if that's their top priority versus electing *their* ideal candidate). 

And what about those who believe the current Democratic Party will never listen to them at all?
What do you mean? Most congressional Democrats are in favor of a Public Option, free community college, and reducing ICE power.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1903 on: March 04, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »

Interesting how in CA TX UT the Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Steyer (in CA only) votes were significant which means it would be even worse for Sanders vis-a-vis Biden if we had a do over without early voting.  It also hurt Bloomberg as well but I guess in a do over without early voting more of the Bloomberg vote would have gone to Biden.  Looks like Biden, as long as he does not slip, is en route to rebuilding the 2016 Clinton coalition.   
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1904 on: March 04, 2020, 07:22:13 AM »

Texas results with Dallas, Harris, and Tarrant counties finishing (not sure if there is any notable outstanding vote left)

Biden 734045 (34.25%)
Sanders 639502 (29.84%)
Bloomberg 316464 (14.77%)
Warren 241393 (11.26%)

This is pretty stunning. Especially considering Biden might be approaching 40% if there wasn't so much EV with Pete/Klob/Steyer etc still in.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1905 on: March 04, 2020, 07:22:49 AM »

Putin's comment on Bernie's ST results>>>

It is likely over. May be, a full-hearted endorsement by Warren would do, but as we all know not, Liz is 🐍  Unamused
Bernis should at least try to burn the house (D)own  Tongue
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1906 on: March 04, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »

Meanwhile, Donald Trump logs 1.8 million votes in the Texas GOP primary, more than every Democrat put together.

Total turnout in the Dem primary is actually 1.97 million right now, while Trump has 1.81 million votes.  The Dem vote count is showing up as 2% more complete (93% vs. 91%), so these numbers may end of closer.  And this obviously isn’t particularly predictive with only one party’s primary being competitive.

Meanwhile, in 2016, GOP turnout doubled Dems, 2.8 mil to 1.4 mil.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #1907 on: March 04, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »

What do you mean? Most congressional Democrats are in favor of a Public Option, free community college, and reducing ICE power.

Sadly, I know a few Bernie bros who would rather have Trump in power than see Biden elected, which makes sense in a way. Both are populist demagogues who are angry all the time, and feel like the "establishment" is against them. I think there is a huge sense of entitlement from my generation, and that a lot of Bernie voters don't truly represent the Democratic party or their ideals. It's my way or the highway, and that really doesn't work in the real world. The Facebook meltdowns are not that fun to read any more. These people are delusional.

For any Bernie bros who recognize the importance in beating Donald Trump, they will unite behind the Democratic candidate no matter who he or she is. For those who would like Trump to be re-elected, you're free to vote Republican or third party. Just be sure to change your avatar so we know your true intentions. Azn
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1908 on: March 04, 2020, 07:26:53 AM »

Maybe if they axtually put their money where there mouths were and propose these things in Congress, then people would sit up and take notice.

Reality is, the vast majority of Democrats seem to largely be fine with the status quo.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1909 on: March 04, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »

Sadly, I know a few Bernie bros who would rather have Trump in power than see Biden elected, which makes sense in a way. Both are populist demagogues who are angry all the time, and feel like the "establishment" is against them. I think there is a huge sense of entitlement from my generation, and that a lot of Bernie voters don't truly represent the Democratic party or their ideals. It's my way or the highway, and that really doesn't work in the real world. The Facebook meltdowns are not that fun to read any more. These people are delusional.

For any Bernie bros who recognize the importance in beating Donald Trump, they will unite behind the Democratic candidate no matter who he or she is. For those who would like Trump to be re-elected, you're free to vote Republican or third party. Just be sure to change your avatar so we know your true intentions. Azn

I can make the same criticism of many Biden supporters.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1910 on: March 04, 2020, 07:37:17 AM »

Chris Cillizza's winners and losers from Super Tuesday (Excellent for Biden)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/politics/super-tuesday-winners-losers/index.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1911 on: March 04, 2020, 07:53:41 AM »

The polls were so wrong except for Data which nailed it. I will never look at another Change Research poll again
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1912 on: March 04, 2020, 07:53:48 AM »

I feel alarmed that I'm agreeing with Chris on the vast majority of this article lol
n1240

« Reply #1913 on: March 04, 2020, 07:53:55 AM »

So how much longer does Bloomberg last? He's not going to be viable statewide in California or Texas (although he'll be really close in Texas so he'll get some CD delegates still) and is likely only going to be viable statewide in Colorado, Arkansas, and Tennessee.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #1914 on: March 04, 2020, 08:10:51 AM »

It's not very scientific but from my math if current delegate ratios hold Bernie will open with around a 80 delegate lead over Biden (not counting first 4, adding 6 to sander's margin in that case)

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1915 on: March 04, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »

Yeah, Bernie was at a deficit of 125 delegates and if he played even in the other states, Bernie would have a 200 delegate lead over Biden
W
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1916 on: March 04, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »

Sleeping on it I think realistically this is just gonna be a very long and drawn out delegate scramble. Biden winning Texas is huge and he's favored for the nomination. If he wins Michigan next week his momentum may be unstoppable. I'll probably personally end up supporting the Green Party sacrificial lamb if Joe wins since yadda-yadda protest vote against electoral college but I'll do my best to convince my swing state friends and family.
n1240

« Reply #1917 on: March 04, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »

It's not very scientific but from my math if current delegate ratios hold Bernie will open with around a 80 delegate lead over Biden (not counting first 4, adding 6 to sander's margin in that case)

I'm about to calculate preliminary California delegate estimates shortly but I can assure you that your estimates are way off at a glance (and borderline misinformation, honestly).

The currently allocated delegates are essentially guaranteed delegates, the rest are just uncertain - Sanders has a lot of guaranteed delegates in California since he's comfortably over 15% statewide and across most districts.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1918 on: March 04, 2020, 08:22:12 AM »

Sleeping on it I think realistically this is just gonna be a very long and drawn out delegate scramble. Biden winning Texas is huge and he's favored for the nomination. If he wins Michigan next week his momentum may be unstoppable.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1919 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »

Sleeping on it I think realistically this is just gonna be a very long and drawn out delegate scramble. Biden winning Texas is huge and he's favored for the nomination. If he wins Michigan next week his momentum may be unstoppable. I'll probably personally end up supporting the Green Party sacrificial lamb if Joe wins since yadda-yadda protest vote against electoral college but I'll do my best to convince my swing state friends and family.

Even not living in a swing state, your vote still counts towards the popular vote...which we'll still need to win if for no other reason than to send a message Wink
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1920 on: March 04, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »

I can make the same criticism of many Biden supporters.

Which Biden supporters have been vocal about not supporting Sanders if he gets the nomination?

I switched my support from Sanders to Biden when the tapes came out of Sanders praising Castro and the USSR.  But I would still vote for him against Trump.

The bottom line is going to be between Trump and either Biden or Sanders.  The choice is clear no matter who wins the nomination: they are both miles better than Trump.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1921 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »

Legitimately curious given the age of all frontrunners:

What happens if the winner dies between Election Day and the counting of electoral votes?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1922 on: March 04, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »

What happens if the winner dies between Election Day and the counting of electoral votes?

Not 100% sure but I think they still vote the way they're pledged and the Vice President of the ticket becomes the president.
W
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1923 on: March 04, 2020, 08:37:48 AM »

There is a precident for this. Horace Greeley died after election day in 1872. He lost, so his electoral votes were mostly faithlessly cast for other Democratic Party figures. Some voted for Greeley anyways despite him err, not being able to carry out his duties. My best guess would be nowadays they'd be cast for the VP but there may be interesting faithless electors if the candidate loses.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1924 on: March 04, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »

Anyone who doesn't see how much influence the Sanders movement has had on the party over the past five years is probably lashing out based on heat of the moment. Bernie is facing personal and not ideological trouble getting nominated because he bases his messaging on the theory that the Democratic party is somehow omniscient and cruelly determined to take him down. They don't like him because he is riling up conspiracy insanity about our team going into the Super Bowl. At the same time, Bernie has done more than anyone else in the past decade to bring new people into the party. The irony of the situation is not lost on the establishment or Bernie himself but it seems almost impossible to resolve the tension in the public light like this.

It's okay to be adversarial with your party but Bernie takes it to a new level with which many Democrats are uncomfortable. It's irresponsible and increases the risk that if elected his movement will abandon him over one or two moderate cabinet appointments or policy compromises.

For the record, I'm still voting for Bernie.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 94  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies