Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:50:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 155
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)  (Read 153580 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2950 on: February 05, 2020, 07:01:36 PM »

Again:

HOW STUPID ARE THE PEOPLE OF IOWA?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2951 on: February 05, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=357331.msg7164046#msg7164046 date=1580947039 uid=17999
If I were then, I'd just discounted the "Iowa bounce" entirely, and just waited for the next batch of polls to come out. This whole clusterf**k has probably dulled whatever momentum Pete or Bernie might have gotten (and more importantly, softened the blow for Biden), so I doubt these numbers will stick. But we shall see.

At least part of the "Iowa Bounce" is not actually a bounce, however (not in the sense of being an actual change in support). It is partly just first contact of polls and likely voter models with reality. Polls tend to be off, but they tend to be off systematically to some degree in a correlated way. In particular, the fact that Biden greatly under-performed in Iowa relative to polls is suggestive that he may also do so in other states (though that is of course no guarantee).

That's a fair point, but voting patterns in a caucus are very different from voting patterns in a primary, so polling misses in the former are not necessarily predictive of polling misses in the latter. It's certainly possible that Biden support is overestimated across the board, but we really don't have enough evidence to make any pronouncement about it yet. And even if it is, it's not the kind of thing you can model (538 has always been adamant about not second-guessing polls except to account for house effects).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2952 on: February 05, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »

Sanders does not have a 40% chance at winning South Carolina...
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #2953 on: February 05, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »

538 updated their model post-Iowa and Bernie is the frontrunner (although the chance of a contested convention has increased noticeably).

For once, 538 is being way too bullish on Sanders. It's one thing to say he's the single most likely candidate to win, but to say that he's now favored to win AR, NC, TN, and VA, and essentially tied in SC? Their model puts way too much weight on "momentum."

I learned the faults of 538 modeling through their sports actually. It's not a prediction at all. When I was watching the baseball season they would just shift the odds after every game. Then at the end of the year they claimed how right they were. It's like well, no, you drastically changed your model over the course of the year.

They do the same for politics. It's better to look at a 538 model as evidence of what happened in the past, not a prediction of what is going to happen in the future. Their model isn't a prediction and it's not falsifiable. They know it. They'll just take credit anytime their results match their most likely scenario and then they will point out that they only put out odds when the result doesn't match the most likely scenario. 538 are frauds.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #2954 on: February 05, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »

Any word yet on when we get more votes? These numbers are making me tense.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2955 on: February 05, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »

Sanders does not have a 40% chance at winning South Carolina...

Sanders, Steyer and Biden are all right around 20%, and all have made in-road with the black community. I wouldn't be shocked if Sanders won it as he has established himself as the familiar guy from last time. He's not a detested villain, he was just second to Hillary last time and now people know who he is. He is an ally and a fighter for them, incrementalist as they tend to be. I don't think you can argue his odds of winning are less than 20-25%.

I'd still call Steyer the favourite but not by much.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2956 on: February 05, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »

Any word yet on when we get more votes? These numbers are making me tense.
Maybe around Midnight. Maybe! That's not a guarantee though!
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2957 on: February 05, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »

I have no idea what's going on in Iowa anymore.

I am very confident that the 538 model is incredibly stupid, though.

If it still said that Biden would win, you would say that the 538 model is great.
Babeuf

« Reply #2958 on: February 05, 2020, 07:46:13 PM »

Have any of the satellite caucus locations been inputted to these results?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2959 on: February 05, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

If it still said that Biden would win, you would say that the 538 model is great.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2960 on: February 05, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »

False
n1240

« Reply #2961 on: February 05, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »

Seems like hot air to me considering the remaining vote appears to be more favorable to Buttigieg
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2962 on: February 05, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »

The 528 model is giving 85% of the Iowa bounce to Pete and 15% to Bernie (because of course the fake news media is focusing on mathematical constructs instead of people).

Still want to see what the actual polls say though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2963 on: February 05, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »

Seems like hot air to me considering the remaining vote appears to be more favorable to Buttigieg

Oh great, Sanders math is back.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2964 on: February 05, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »

And then when he doesn't, it's rigged.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2965 on: February 05, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »

Looking at what data we have available right now, one thing stands out very clear. Buttigieg was the candidate of the suburbs.

It is most visible in the near Des Moines suburbs in Polk, pictured above. It can also be seen in the rest of the state, it's just less visible because Iowa isn't really a suburban state. I'm not going to argue in favor of him winning overall through this route, but I think those suggesting Buttigieg tapers off after New Hampshire might want to look at this dynamic. If Buttigeig is the candidate preferred by those educated suburban voters that gave the dems the House, than he has plenty of potential targets  on the horizon. However, I am not going to push this point beyond the data, since I do not wish to make an argument in favor of, or opposition to certain candidates. Just look for this next week in NH, I suspect Pete's best towns will be clustered along the Massachusetts border.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2966 on: February 05, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »

There is only one candidate who's been making allegations about the integrity of the process, and it's not Sanders.

Anyway yeah, this is probably wishful thinking, and I think Bernie would be better off just declaring victory based on the popular vote and moving on, but we'll find out soon enough.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2967 on: February 05, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »

538 updated their model post-Iowa and Bernie is the frontrunner (although the chance of a contested convention has increased noticeably).

For once, 538 is being way too bullish on Sanders. It's one thing to say he's the single most likely candidate to win, but to say that he's now favored to win AR, NC, TN, and VA, and essentially tied in SC? Their model puts way too much weight on "momentum."

I learned the faults of 538 modeling through their sports actually. It's not a prediction at all. When I was watching the baseball season they would just shift the odds after every game. Then at the end of the year they claimed how right they were. It's like well, no, you drastically changed your model over the course of the year.

They do the same for politics. It's better to look at a 538 model as evidence of what happened in the past, not a prediction of what is going to happen in the future. Their model isn't a prediction and it's not falsifiable. They know it. They'll just take credit anytime their results match their most likely scenario and then they will point out that they only put out odds when the result doesn't match the most likely scenario. 538 are frauds.

Lol, because it's totally reasonable to expect them to predict elections months in advance without altering their odds based on new information. If Sanders died tomorrow you'd be screaming about how 538 was wrong that he'd win New Hampshire. Politics is unpredictable. Statistical odds are the best we're going to get.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2968 on: February 05, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »

Not entirely true that the remaining Vote is more favorable to Buttigieg. If you you purely by IADP Standards here are the outstanding Precincts:
18 in Polk
10 in Story
11 in Woodbury
13 in Scott
among others.

So, yes I'd give both Popular Vote Counts to Sanders.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2969 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »

Looking at what data we have available right now, one thing stands out very clear. Buttigieg was the candidate of the suburbs.

It is most visible in the near Des Moines suburbs in Polk, pictured above. It can also be seen in the rest of the state, it's just less visible because Iowa isn't really a suburban state. I'm not going to argue in favor of him winning overall through this route, but I think those suggesting Buttigieg tapers off after New Hampshire might want to look at this dynamic. If Buttigeig is the candidate preferred by those educated suburban voters that gave the dems the House, than he has plenty of potential targets  on the horizon. However, I am not going to push this point beyond the data, since I do not wish to make an argument in favor of, or opposition to certain candidates. Just look for this next week in NH, I suspect Pete's best towns will be clustered along the Massachusetts border.
This is very likely true, and it will probably allow him to be competitive in many states.  But it is not a winning coalition- he needs more than that.  White suburbanites were just one part of Clinton's 2016 coalition- alongside blacks and Hispanics.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2970 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »

Didn't Buttigeg do well with rural whites as well, of the ones that turned out at leasst?
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2971 on: February 05, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »

92 % is now in and Sanders is now within a Point of Buttigieg

Buttigieg 26.5
Sanders 25.6
Warren 18.2
Biden 15.9
Klobuchar 12.1
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2972 on: February 05, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 09:29:41 PM by How stupid are the people of Iowa? »

Is the election rigged? No.

Is the incompetence so egregious that Democrats shouldn't seat any delegates? Absolutely.
n1240

« Reply #2973 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:07 PM »

Most of the recent vote dump seems to be from satellite caucuses
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P