International COVID-19 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:52:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 139
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 450942 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3100 on: November 22, 2021, 10:36:30 AM »

Have to say, full lockdowns *after* most have been vaccinated don't look good. At all.

Potentially quite dangerous in 'social contract' terms, amongst other issues.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3101 on: November 22, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »

If Germany had balls, we would do the same.

No, this is really not a good idea.

Zero Covid is dead, we are all going to have to learn to live with it to a degree.

Yes!

I encourage all citizens of countries with lockdowns to stand up to their government and over throw their government if necessary.

You realize that the only way out of lockdowns is a high immunity rate? That said, I think general vaccine mandates should only be ultima ratio as a very last ressort, but seems like everything else has failed here? At least they're doing something.

And before anyone says "just leave unvaccinated on their own", remember this: When more of a quarter of the population doesn't have immunity, the hospitals will collapse when the virus is just left to "run its course". And when hospitals are collapsing, patients with non-Covid diseases will suffer or die as well. Delta variant requires 85-90% immunity rate before the pandemic will actually come to an end.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3102 on: November 22, 2021, 10:45:04 AM »

Zero Covid is dead, we are all going to have to learn to live with it to a degree.

Yes!

I encourage all citizens of countries with lockdowns to stand up to their government and over throw their government if necessary.

this in many countries count as a crime

I DO NOT CARE! STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!!!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3103 on: November 22, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »

Yes!

You realize that the only way out of lockdowns is a high immunity rate? That said, I think general vaccine mandates should only be ultima ratio as a very last ressort, but seems like everything else has failed here? At least they're doing something.

And before anyone says "just leave unvaccinated on their own", when more of a quarter of the population doesn't have immunity, the hospitals will collapse when the virus is just left to "run its course". And when hospitals are collapsing, patients with non-Covid diseases will suffer or die as well.

You do realize there will never be lockdowns or any restrictions ever again in the United States, right? One of the reasons Virginia Governor was lost by Democrats was over fear of pandemic restrictions.

I am fine with mask mandates (I mask myself) and vaccine mandates but closing down businesses is never going to work in the United States. It just pushes gatherings to less regulated private homes or big box stores.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3104 on: November 22, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »

Let's not ground people like teenagers when most people down the right thing and were vaccinated.

Now if we could get more people to properly wear masks...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3105 on: November 22, 2021, 10:49:01 AM »

Yes!

And before anyone says "just leave unvaccinated on their own", when more of a quarter of the population doesn't have immunity, the hospitals will collapse when the virus is just left to "run its course". And when hospitals are collapsing, patients with non-Covid diseases will suffer or die as well.

You do realize there will never be lockdowns or any restrictions ever again in the United States, right? One of the reasons Virginia Governor was lost by Democrats was over fear of pandemic restrictions.

I am fine with mask mandates (I mask myself) and vaccine mandates but closing down businesses is never going to work in the United States. It just pushes gatherings to less regulated private homes or big box stores.

This was related to Austria, but still no different here. The virus doesn't care about politics, and the pandemic here and anywhere else won't end before herd immunity is reached. It's just basic science and math.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3106 on: November 22, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »

Yes!

This was related to Austria, but still no different here. The virus doesn't care about politics, and the pandemic here and anywhere else won't end before herd immunity is reached. It's just basic science and math.

No matter how much you object from your computer:

1) Kids are still attending school
2) People are still leaving their homes
3) A majority of jobs are unable to be done remotely.
4) There is no longer a pandemic related safety net (and there shouldn't be at this point.. the pandemic showed just how lazy many american workers are!.. they need to get back to work and not live on government doe).

There will not be any more ing lockdowns, ever, in the United States.

Even if you got your way and shut all non essential businesses and schools down, people would still gather in private homes all holiday season long unmasked and spreading the virus.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3107 on: November 22, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »

damn it.

No one better ing attack me over my lack of support for lockdowns. In actual reality, I am one of the few people who care about covid on a day to day basis and still recommend masking and support vaccine mandates to get us out of this mess.

It is the path of least resistance and least economic pain to end the pandemic.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3108 on: November 22, 2021, 11:07:16 AM »

NO

MORE

LOCKDOWNS!

END

THEM

NOW!!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3109 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:04 AM »

I bet SirMohamed has not left his house even one time since March 2020 and is probably waiting until Covid is completely eradicated off earth before leaving his house next.

Funny he is probably screaming against everyone who is leaving their homes while someone who has to leave their home to doordash all his needs and wants on his doorstep.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3110 on: November 22, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »

Dude please disconnect.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #3111 on: November 23, 2021, 03:43:31 AM »

Lockdowns are clearly an ultima ratio and most people don't want to go into hibernation from November until May each year. But vaccination everyone who wants to be vaccinated and doing many rapid antigen test does not seem to be enough against the delta variant, see Germany and Austria.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3112 on: November 23, 2021, 04:19:07 AM »

Germany has been declared a level-4 high-risk area by the U.S. Department of State thanks to green Schwurbler and blue Querdenker in the East and in the South. 🖕🏻🤬🖕🏻
I quote: "Do not travel to Germany due to COVID-19. [...] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for the Germany due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine."
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3113 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:12 AM »

I am glad I live in the United States

I am glad Euros are finally fighting for their rights!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3114 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:56 AM »

Yes!

Let me ask you this:

Do you think any state in the United States will actually do anything?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3115 on: November 23, 2021, 04:24:57 AM »

Lockdowns are clearly an ultima ratio and most people don't want to go into hibernation from November until May each year. But vaccination everyone who wants to be vaccinated and doing many rapid antigen test does not seem to be enough against the delta variant, see Germany and Austria.

Learn to live with the virus! Do not be a wuss
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #3116 on: November 23, 2021, 05:48:35 AM »

Well, there are basically three "solutions" to the problem. 1. Almost complete vaccinations. 2. Societal hibernation from November to May (as far as Germany is concerned). 3. Thinking "Oh, it can't be THAT bad. Learn to live with the virus!" and let many people get sick and die. I still think, that the first one is the best solution.   And if force is necessary to achieve that, it's maybe justified, at this point.

As far as I am concerned, I am double-vaccinated, plan to get my booster shot, when it is due, got warned today that I was possibly exposed on Thursday, have a sore throat and will get a PCR-test today, for which I will travel 15 km by bike to not use public transport. And we celebrated the 60th birthday of my aunt this weekend with about 30 fully vaccinated and pre-tested people. So, we clearly adapted to the virus and learned to live with it, but it's still complicated and nothing to handwave away. 
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3117 on: November 23, 2021, 06:17:54 AM »

Have to say, full lockdowns *after* most have been vaccinated don't look good. At all.

Vaccinations were sold to the public as a "passport to freedom" throughout the developed world.

People haven't forgotten.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3118 on: November 23, 2021, 06:34:45 AM »

Well, there are basically three "solutions" to the problem. 1. Almost complete vaccinations. 2. Societal hibernation from November to May (as far as Germany is concerned). 3. Thinking "Oh, it can't be THAT bad. Learn to live with the virus!" and let many people get sick and die. I still think, that the first one is the best solution.   And if force is necessary to achieve that, it's maybe justified, at this point.

As far as I am concerned, I am double-vaccinated, plan to get my booster shot, when it is due, got warned today that I was possibly exposed on Thursday, have a sore throat and will get a PCR-test today, for which I will travel 15 km by bike to not use public transport. And we celebrated the 60th birthday of my aunt this weekend with about 30 fully vaccinated and pre-tested people. So, we clearly adapted to the virus and learned to live with it, but it's still complicated and nothing to handwave away. 

DEPLOY THE TROOPS NOW TO FORCE VACCINATIONS!!!
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3119 on: November 23, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »

Yes!

Let me ask you this:

Do you think any state in the United States will actually do anything?
Probably New Jersey, New York, California, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin if I had to guess.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3120 on: November 23, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »

I bet SirMohamed has not left his house even one time since March 2020 and is probably waiting until Covid is completely eradicated off earth before leaving his house next.

Funny he is probably screaming against everyone who is leaving their homes while someone who has to leave their home to doordash all his needs and wants on his doorstep.

I see, you try to make this personal, which is kind of ridiculous. I'm fully vaccinated and will take a booster shot next month. What I'm doing is taking some precautionary steps like wearing medical masks in indoor stores and indoor restaurants while not sitting at the table, work mostly remote and avoid larger gatherings. I'm not that worried about myself or my wife, but I have no desire to spread the virus to anyone more at risk than myself.

The entire point here is that some places like Austria, parts of the Netherlands and Germany, the virus spread has apparently gotten out of control to a point where hospitals are on the brink of collapse. We have to live with the virus, but when too many - mostly unprotected - people get infected at the same time, too many will actually become sick and need ICU treatment. How are hospitals supposed to deal with this? Doesn't matter? Tell that to medical personell which already understaffed and underpaid. Or to the cancer patient, who can't get treated in time. At some point these countries have to measure their options and at least impose contact restrictions for unvaccinated people.

If 85-90% are vaccinated or have immunity, the problem wouldn't exist. As long that isn't reached, the virus will continue to spread in fast pace and cause major problems for hospitals.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3121 on: November 23, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »

I see, you try to make this personal, which is kind of ridiculous. I'm fully vaccinated and will take a booster shot next month. What I'm doing is taking some precautionary steps like wearing medical masks in indoor stores and indoor restaurants while not sitting at the table, work mostly remote and avoid larger gatherings. I'm not that worried about myself or my wife, but I have no desire to spread the virus to anyone more at risk than myself.

The entire point here is that some places like Austria, parts of the Netherlands and Germany, the virus spread has apparently gotten out of control to a point where hospitals are on the brink of collapse. We have to live with the virus, but when too many - mostly unprotected - people get infected at the same time, too many will actually become sick and need ICU treatment. How are hospitals supposed to deal with this? Doesn't matter? Tell that to medical personell which already understaffed and underpaid. Or to the cancer patient, who can't get treated in time. At some point these countries have to measure their options and at least impose contact restrictions for unvaccinated people.

If 85-90% are vaccinated or have immunity, the problem wouldn't exist. As long that isn't reached, the virus will continue to spread in fast pace and cause major problems for hospitals.

Get your booster now!!!

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3122 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »

Now seems like a good time to add that in New Zealand, 91% of those eligible are first dosed and 85% are second dosed. We perhaps were the strictest in the world by waiting for Auckland to get to around 90% before the lockdown ends on December 3. Every region in New Zealand is at 84% first dose or above.
Omega21

« Reply #3123 on: November 23, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2021, 05:31:24 PM by Omega21 »

Vaccinations were sold to the public as a "passport to freedom" throughout the developed world.

People haven't forgotten.

Well here if you don't get your boosters (not limited to 1) it renders you "unvaccinated" lol

People who had complications after their shots are also not exempt, only severe allergic reactions etc.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3124 on: November 24, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »

Germany is getting belted by new cases at an all time high.

But the mortality rate is not there. Clearly, vaccines are doing their job.

Sweden looking very good given the cold weather approaching.

Winter is coming.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies